ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Consequences of Corona - Americans leave large cities for suburban areas and rural towns

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are the suburbs surrounding NYC going to be a good bet if everyone is betting on NYC collapsing?

All the rich suburbs in Northern NJ are rich because of proximity to NYC. If the city is f'd because all the jobs and people leave the suburbs are f'd as well.

Not if they work remotely and go into the city a day or two a week.

Reactions: RUevolution36
SHHH it does not fit there narrative of dark lawless cities teemimg with immigrants and criminals. Wait till they get to Montana and Texas and want to go see a play or some music etc or any other cultural happening and they find out its a rodeo or a fried oreo at the county fair....

Pretty lively arts and especially music scene in Texas, and you don't have to live in a city to enjoy them.

Do you work in NYC?

My company has already said maybe by end of year reopening and only 20% capacity at that.
Post-Sandy the company was already reducing floors in the building and consolidating staff with new open floor plan designs.
Encouraging remote working to reduce the need to rent extra floors.

There has been zero dropoff in workflow with everyone mandatory WFH since 3/12.

Alot of these offices are not going to ever be at 100% Pre-Covid capacity.
I do and multiple friends and family have already had to go back in. Many busissnses have allowed people to work from home until september or the end of 2020, but that isn't forever. Your company sounds like more of an outlier.

Offices can reconfigure, apartments can't. That's why people will still be willing to work in the city, but won't want to live there.

Post-Covid I think the only people consistently working in NYC will be residents of NYC and close suburbs (Hoboken/JC).

This will finally put the nail in the coffin of commuting over an hour from NJ/LI/CT just to be in the office 4 days a week.

Proof of concept that working from home is viable has been proven.
Especially once kids are back in school consistently.

Thats part of it but the riots are what broke the camels back. Trust me im talking to these people daily. Nyc is a toxic wasteland right now and people are letting their wallets speak
NYC is fine my friends, family and colleagues love it here. Feel safe as hell.

As a broker in the north jersey burbs, i can tell you that this is the most insane market ive seen since i got in the game in 2010. My colleagues who were around for 25-35 years say the same. Theyve never seen anything like this. People fleeing the city in troves. Anarchy isnt cool
in troves or with troves? or something else?

SHHH it does not fit there narrative of dark lawless cities teemimg with immigrants and criminals. Wait till they get to Montana and Texas and want to go see a play or some music etc or any other cultural happening and they find out its a rodeo or a fried oreo at the county fair....

The way to fight silly stereotypes is not by promoting opposite but equal silly stereotypes.

Reactions: Greg2020
What's your town I'll look it up next? Actually let me go find some pics from Asbury park. Not too long ago you cried on this board that anyone going off a few bad apples and pictures from Asbury park was uniformed. Maybe take your own advice.
Predictable deflection. No such posts exist about pictures of Asbury Park.

Cities will be fine. You'll see a short term shift in demand flowing from major cities to surrounding suburbs, particularly in our area, but that will reverse in a year or two.

Remember, the population has been shifting towards cities for a while now. And it's getting increasingly difficult to hire talent - legit impossible for millennial talent - outside of these areas. Cities will rebound fine.

He didn't say only pictures, and those posts did in fact happen.

Try only talking out one side of your face sometime, it'll be a refreshing change ... for you, as much as everyone else.
I do recall something like that. I think it started over some famous old musician (Bob Dylan?) walking the streets lost a bit inland.. the general trend sai you were relatively safe 2-3 blocks off the boardwalk.. but everywhere else was highly suspect. And there were anecdotal evidence offered on both sides.

There will be a ton of delayed/abandoned construction throughout the state. I bet NJ cities will be hit the hardest.

In the past month the average property values:

Hoboken 868K
Jersey City 07302 749K
Asbury Park 475K
Long Branch 530K
Harrison 737K

Stop demonstrably lying.

I'm sure it will take a bit of a hit (already has, I think), but 3-4, 10 years from now? Don't know. The future is hard to predict and if I was any good at it I'd have bought in JC 15 years before I did (as would have all the people who are now so very, very certain of what the future holds).
I think the cities could have survived Covid because people have short memories. Going to be hard for people with families to forget the Mayor allowing the city to be looted and burned. That being said, people thought NY would never recover from 911 and it obviously did

Reactions: bac2therac
Yes all of NYC is destroyed and looted.

I hear there are now riots at Penn Station because everyone is leaving the Upper West Side, desperate to head for Somerset County and the town that some random NJ website was paid to declare the best.

Much like how all the geniuses on this board said NJ was being ruined by taxes and everyone is fleeing and now hopes in Alpine and Millburn cost 50k.

Yes all of NYC is destroyed and looted.

I hear there are now riots at Penn Station because everyone is leaving the Upper West Side, desperate to head for Somerset County and the town that some random NJ website was paid to declare the best.

Much like how all the geniuses on this board said NJ was being ruined by taxes and everyone is fleeing and now hopes in Alpine and Millburn cost 50k.
Ahhahahaha

Just here to say that My brother lives in NYC and it isn't that bad at all and he isn't looking to move. We walked amongst the "ruins" and it was no big deal... Actually just as it always is..ate some sushi, hung out, talked to folks they knew...they all know the looters were from other boroughs, and they all know the insurance will collect..

Have friends from East side of the Asbury Tracks...some of them kick it in Newark regularly and realize the crime per capita rate is worse in Asbury, and some try and act like they are both enlightened AND safe living on said east side of the tracks...but we know the second group is fulla shit.

NYC has turned into Gotham in two months. I’m expecting to see the Joker take over any day now.

Btw, this was all predicted.

Almost a half million people have left NYC since CV broke. The riots and lunatic politicians shackling law enforcement at exactly the wrong time are sending even more out. Even Giuliani is telling people to leave. The only beauty of it is the dumbest people want to stay.

" Hundreds of thousands of New York City residents, in particular those from the city’s wealthiest neighborhoods, left as the coronavirus pandemic hit, an analysis of multiple sources of aggregated smartphone location data has found.

Roughly 5 percent of residents — or about 420,000 people — left the city between March 1 and May 1. In the city’s very wealthiest blocks..."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/15/upshot/who-left-new-york-coronavirus.html

Reactions: bac2therac
My daughter and her fiancé live in Brooklyn and trying to buy a house in New Jersey since their companies have gone to WFH except for one or two days a week.Looking in Maplewood, South Orange, West Orange. Found a nice starter home I was listing at $635K in Maplewood. Got bid up to $785K and sold. James in eastern Pennsylvania or being bid up.

The thing to watch is how many companies are going to WFH or split schedules. Covid and the availability of technology is accelerating this. Will be a difficult trend to reverse especially if crime continues to escalate in the cities.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Just here to say that My brother lives in NYC and it isn't that bad at all and he isn't looking to move. We walked amongst the "ruins" and it was no big deal... Actually just as it always is..ate some sushi, hung out, talked to folks they knew...they all know the looters were from other boroughs, and they all know the insurance will collect..

Have friends from East side of the Asbury Tracks...some of them kick it in Newark regularly and realize the crime per capita rate is worse in Asbury, and some try and act like they are both enlightened AND safe living on said east side of the tracks...but we know the second group is fulla shit.

I feel safe living in Asbury I guess I am enlightened and full of shit.

Reactions: Knight Shift
It's not because there are empty homes though/lack of demand (at least not in the area immediately around NYC). The composition of cities has changed from all working class with a lot of single room rentals, etc at the peak to something else.

Again your 'small amount of people' is the issue. There is not a standard by which a 'small amount of people' have chosen to live in the urban areas surrounding Manhattan.
And so it begins:

Empty Manhattan apartments reach record levels, landlords slash rent

The weakest segment of the rental market is large, family-sized rentals. Brokers say many families that normally would be renting in the city have left for the suburbs where they can have a yard and more space.

The number of new leases signed for three-bedroom rentals in Manhattan fell by 42% in June compared with a year ago. Downtown Manhattan and the East Side are getting hit the hardest, with a 41% decline in rentals downtown and a 49% drop on the East Side.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/09/emp...reach-record-levels-landlords-slash-rent.html

Almost a half million people have left NYC since CV broke. The riots and lunatic politicians shackling law enforcement at exactly the wrong time are sending even more out. Even Giuliani is telling people to leave. The only beauty of it is the dumbest people want to stay.

" Hundreds of thousands of New York City residents, in particular those from the city’s wealthiest neighborhoods, left as the coronavirus pandemic hit, an analysis of multiple sources of aggregated smartphone location data has found.

Roughly 5 percent of residents — or about 420,000 people — left the city between March 1 and May 1. In the city’s very wealthiest blocks..."

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/15/upshot/who-left-new-york-coronavirus.html

They didn't leave permanently or move out, they went to their Hamptons houses. That is very different from selling your apartment and moving.

From the attached article: "Reports have depicted a withdrawal to second homes and vacation towns."

Most of my friends who live in NYC left during the peak of Covid. Younger ones went to their family homes, older ones went to the Hamptons, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT