ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Cool things to do in Brooklyn?

CornerTavern

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 8, 2008
Brooklyn people...

Midweek next week I will take my kids into Brooklyn to see the botanical garden (Bonsai exhibit) and the Brooklyn Museum...

If I were to stay in the area for another day or so, what else is there to do that we should see?

My kids are 15 and 12, boys. We like museums, history, science, etc. Eating: Asian/Thai, old Pubs.

Also, any cool hotels?

Thanks, CornerTavern

Brooklyn people...

Midweek next week I will take my kids into Brooklyn to see the botanical garden (Bonsai exhibit) and the Brooklyn Museum...

If I were to stay in the area for another day or so, what else is there to do that we should see?

My kids are 15 and 12, boys. We like museums, history, science, etc. Eating: Asian/Thai, old Pubs.

Also, any cool hotels?

Thanks, CornerTavern
There are a few cool things right next to the Botanical Gardens, Brooklyn Museum and the Brooklyn Public Library (awesome Art Deco building). There is also a Christmas Tree and the "world's largest" Menorah in Grand Army Plaza. Just south of the Botanical Gardens is the LeFrak Center in Prospect Park that has two large ice skating rinks plus food and beer options.

A bit further away is the NYC Transit Museum which is cool and might be interesting to boys your kids ages. If you go there it is worth walking to the Brooklyn Heights Promanade to see amazing views of Downtown Manhattan.

I can't help much of on the Asian/Thai restaurant front, but there are many good restaurants of all different types of food in the area. If you get breakfast go to Tom's on Washington Ave, very old school spot and the lemon ricotta pancakes are really good.

The cooler hotels are in Williamsburg, but that area isn't too convenient to the Botanical Gaedens. Williamsburg is a world of its own when it comes to restaurants and other entertainment. There are some newer hotels near The Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM) and in Downtown Brooklyn. BAM might also be a good place to check out what is going on.

Overpay on rent for a small place due to it being hip or Brooklyn Brewery.

Go to Coney Island and ride the Cyclone and eat a hot dog at Nathans. The Grand Army Plaza area is actually beautiful.

If you are near the Brooklyn Bridge, walk on the prominade and get some cool views of the city and go to Patsy Grimaldis for pizza.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Brooklyn people...

Also, any cool hotels?

Thanks, CornerTavern
Also, if you like ice cream then check out Ample Hills on Vanderbuilt Street; a 10 min walk from Botanical Gardens. They have the most insane varieties of ice cream you've ever seen.

Reactions: Leonard23
Also, if you like ice cream then check out Ample Hills on Vanderbuilt Street; a 10 min walk from Botanical Gardens. They have the most insane varieties of ice cream you've ever seen.
Yes, very good. Also if you can get a table at Olmstead also on Vanderbilt, do it (check online reservations). I'm guessing if your kids like Thai/Asian food they are more adventurous eaters for their age, it is a farm to table restaurant.

Roberta's pizza .. voted #1 pizza in NYC, and the building is so cool. Very hipster neighborhood, old industrial turned into fancy housing. Guy sells vinyl records on the corner. Great pizza

Reactions: RUhobbit
Good, good!

roberta's Pizza
Pok pok
Olmstead

i'll check them out!

any good old irish pubs?

Hit up Dyker Heights (13th Ave to 15th Ave between 82nd St and 86th St) at night to see the insane Christmas lights. Good eats: Pok Pok, Bunker Vietnamese and Luger's...for pizza: Di Fara's, Roberta's, Spumoni Gardens, Grimaldi's, Julianna's, Totonno's.

Good, good!

roberta's Pizza
Pok pok
Olmstead

i'll check them out!

any good old irish pubs?
Farrell's is probably the most noteworthy long time Irish pub institution. They only serve Bud (and I guess Stella now too) and are one of the leading sellers of Bud in the US that AB often sends the Clydesdales to visit (http://www.brooklyneagle.com/articl...desdale-team-makes-very-special-stop-brooklyn). Obviously one could argue that without Guinness it isn't an Irish pub, but its history is very Irish.

Reactions: gregkoko
Take them to Output to see Eric Prydz. Yes, I realize they're a tad on the young side, but it's never too early to show your boys some fun! :cool2:

Brooklyn people...

Also, any cool hotels?

Thanks, CornerTavern
William Vale is the coolest hotel in Brooklyn.

Jesus you are so triggered. Not everything is worth getting hysterical over. Find a tweet that makes you feel better.

Or spend some time learning what incredible and awesome mean and how they can be used properly. Talk about a simple mind. Dolt.

I have a lot of cousins in Brooklyn and whenever I ask them the best thing to do they all say the same thing - leave.

The only thing I enjoy in Brooklyn is going to a Brooklyn Cyclones game and then over to Nathan’s. Has to be day game though - at night you could get murdered.

The coolest thing in brooklyn to do is the same thing to do in nyc..... find something better to do!

Jesus you are so triggered. Not everything is worth getting hysterical over. Find a tweet that makes you feel better.

Or spend some time learning what incredible and awesome mean and how they can be used properly. Talk about a simple mind. Dolt.
Triggered? A fellow Scarlet Knoght asked for places to visit with his kids in a Brooklyn and a number of fellow Scarlet Knights provided informative responses to give him many options.

Certain JOs like yourself want to interject useless comments for reasons that can't be anything other than seeking attention and get all triggered when called out on it.

Stick to your plastic world out in LA.

I almost posted about Brooklyn last week. I was wondering if it was overrated. I went to Brooklyn Heights a couple decades ago and it seemed nice enough. I also always read about Brooklyn crime. It never struck me as a place to go live

Lots of great suggestions here - can't believe there are trolls who don't actually like Brooklyn and probably Manhattan too. So much to do culturally and so many great restaurants - there's a reason why so many "hipsters" and regular folks enjoy Brooklyn. Not sure if I saw anyone mention Prospect Park - it's even bigger than Central Park and was also designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux - you could spend the whole day there and there's even great sledding if it snows (Prospect Hill is 200' high).

And while there are tons of famous, old pizzerias, my favorite might be one of the newer ones, Fornino in Willimasburg, which has all kinds of eclectic and incredible pizzas (thin crust style). Have fun.

The only thing I enjoy in Brooklyn is going to a Brooklyn Cyclones game and then over to Nathan’s. Has to be day game though - at night you could get murdered.
Not true.

The presence is enough at a night game that if you get murdered, you probably deserve it.

Brooklyn people...

Also, any cool hotels?

Thanks, CornerTavern[/QUOTE
L&B spumoni gardens pizza is a must! Rolling roaster roast beef sandwiches also

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT