ADVERTISEMENT

OT: COVID Science - Pfizer/Moderna vaccines >90% effective; Regeneron antibody cocktail looks very promising in phase II/III trial and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a shelf life for the vaccine? Could some of that 9 million go bad if not used by a certain time?

Pfizer has a very short shelf life, 35 days. After its thawed just hours.

Both Moderna and Pfizer are good for 6 months frozen. Moderna is good for 30 days refrigerated, Pfizer good for 5 days.

Shelf life certainly won’t be a problem.

Reactions: King of S
I see what you are saying, but we are two weeks in, christmas just passed, and as you note with pfizer's vacinne there are significant logistical issues. I'll wait to see where we are in 2 more weeks.
You can't give an excuse for the holidays. We knew for months this was coming. The planning stopped at distribution. Big mistake. And if we get 2/3 months behind how many will die because of it? 100k? 150k?

Both Moderna and Pfizer are good for 6 months frozen. Moderna is good for 30 days refrigerated, Pfizer good for 5 days.

Shelf life certainly won’t be a problem.
Refrigeration units that are commonly available in hospitals. The vaccine can be stored for five days at refrigerated 2-8°C conditions.
After storage for up to 30 days in the Pfizer thermal shipper, vaccination centers can transfer the vials to 2-8°C storage conditions for an additional five days, for a total of up to 35 days. Once thawed and stored under 2-8°C conditions, the vials cannot be re-frozen or stored under frozen conditions.
With 11 million doses delivered and just 2.1 vaccinated yes there are problems with shelf life.
Moderna doesn't have these issues.

Last edited:
A cloth mask is not doing anything. I will repeat it everytime if I have to
There’s many people wearing bandanas which only cover the top part so as you’re breathing everything comes out below your face, then you got the black or with color nylon masks which when you talk they come off your nose and they may filter larger droplets but that’s it , then you have the light blue or white masks that look like toilet paper. People are wearing the same mask every day never washing it, every time I go to shop rite or wherever people will open their trunk and take there mask out , I mean there mask has been there since the Virus started and people can’t figure out how they got sick 🤒.

You can't give an excuse for the holidays. We knew for months this was coming. The planning stopped at distribution. Big mistake. And if we get 2/3 months behind how many will die because of it? 100k? 150k?
Whether you know it's coming or not, christmas was going to jam things up a bit.

You might be right on this, but I'll give it a couple weeks before I get too critical. I always kind of figured most of the vaccinations would take place in Jan and Feb.

Got my Moderna vaccine this afternoon. The whole process at the location was very smooth and orderly.
Glad to hear. My wife also got the Moderna vaccine first injection today at her hospital. They received the vaccines literally only a week ago. Not sure what some expect, especially with the Christmas holiday to boot. I was very excited she got it a week after the hospital received it. Further she could have even gone over the past weekend there. Some people have unreal expectations and live to complain.

Glad to hear. My wife also got the Moderna vaccine first injection today at her hospital. They received the vaccines literally only a week ago. Not sure what some expect, especially with the Christmas holiday to boot. I was very excited she got it a week after the hospital received it. Further she could have even gone over the past weekend there. Some people have unreal expectations and live to complain.
I'm glad she got it. But you are 1000% wrong on unreal expectations. I didn't make these expectations. The people in charged did and they failed miserably. Take your issues up with them. I'm sure the 1000s that die because of the delay will have family members that disagree even more with you.

Let's talk vaccines than. Two days away from the end of 2020 and we have 2.1 million vaccinated. There have been 11.2 million doses delivered. Think about that. The target was for 20 million vaccinated, not delivered, by the end of the year. Before that it was 40 million and before that 100 million. The plan had major flaws from the beginning. They only looked at the delivery process thinking just dropping them off was good enough. Most hospitals in this environment don't have the resources to establish a vaccination program and were never asked. It's a lot harder than people think and requires a lot more people dedicated just to do vaccines.
Yes clear gaping hole in the distribution strategy. It should pick up but where is the plan?

Reactions: Greg2020
There’s many people wearing bandanas which only cover the top part so as you’re breathing everything comes out below your face, then you got the black or with color nylon masks which when you talk they come off your nose and they may filter larger droplets but that’s it , then you have the light blue or white masks that look like toilet paper. People are wearing the same mask every day never washing it, every time I go to shop rite or wherever people will open their trunk and take there mask out , I mean there mask has been there since the Virus started and people can’t figure out how they got sick 🤒.
Stop the panic nonsense - you have no idea what you are talking about.

Reactions: King of S
Do we know that as fact? Vaccines shouldn’t be sitting on shelves that long, so shouldn’t be an issue.
Wisconsin hospital lost hundreds of doses because of miss handling this weekend. Walgreens gave vaccinations in Lexington Kentucky and Louisville to anyone who wanted it before they expired.

Last edited:
Reactions: biker7766
Wisconsin hospital lost hundreds of doses because of miss handling this weekend. Walgreens gave vaccinations in Lexington Kentucky and Louisville to anyone who wanted it before they expired.

Ok that hundreds. You stated it cannot be administered by pharmacies. Is that a fact?

Reactions: Greg2020 and pmvon
BOOM! Best post in this thread. So tired of these twitter charts/posts that are without context (causation) that distorts reality.
Stole this post from the basketball board regarding last night's game. Fits in with the causation/correlation post. Without watching the game, this stat would cause many various interpretations. I guess the starting five must have really sucked last night when in reality they were terrific.

(courtesy of GreenRiceFIG)
Stat to blow your mind...
Starting 5 had a cumulative +/- of -1

bench
Duke +5
Reiber +14
Oskar +6
Mag +1

People on this board, and in general, are clueless about masks. GOOD INFO HERE: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...n95-respirators-surgical-masks-and-face-masks As I have said in another post, my wife works in healthcare where they wear surgical masks, as a minimum, 100% of the time. (Those "tissue like" blue or white masks as some have described them here are surgical masks). They switch to N95’s or more when in direct contact with known COVID patients and when present during aerosolization procedures. She contracted COVID, most likely from a colleague who she later found out was infected, while both were wearing surgical masks and sitting at a table together for apprx 20 minutes . Unless you are wearing an N95 or higher quality respirator, masks will only provide limited protection and this protection is typically only stopping large droplets. Aeresolized and small particles of germ / virus in the air can certainly get past the perimeters of masks (as well as some larger particles ) and into the mouth/nose of the wearer. Air is a fluid, and as anyone with basic knowledge in fluid dynamics knows, all flowing fluids will prefer, and find the least path of resistance to your nose and mouth around and through a mask. Unless you are wearing a fit tested N95 or better, there is always a significant volume of air that goes around the perimeter of these devices with little obstruction, straight into your nose or mouth. If anyone has ever worn a mask while sanding sheetrock or other fine particles will recall, particles accumulate near the edges of the mask where most of the flow of air is coming in to the wearer. It is comical when people add additional filtration to a cloth or surgical mask. Yes it is increasing the filtration going THROUGH the mask, but the airflow, just meets more resistance there and will just increase its flow around the edges of the mask. Much of this is discussed in the link above. Yes, non-N95 masks have some benefit in reducing the amount of particles ejected into the air from infected folks, but it is far from 100% and they are much less effective than people think in protecting a wearer from receiving and breathing the particles.

Last edited:
+1
The roll-out of the vaccines is going fine. As the supply chain gets primed, it will speed up and never look back.

+1
The roll-out of the vaccines is going fine. As the supply chain gets primed, it will speed up and never look back.
Once they get through the nursing home issue, it should speed up. Whitebus said pharmacies can’t administer the Pfizer vaccine. Don’t believe that’s true but if it is it is obviously a problem.

All that said, we can certainly do better with plan and marshaling resources to get shots into arms, the last and critical piece of the distribution chain.

Once they get through the nursing home issue, it should speed up. Whitebus said pharmacies can’t administer the Pfizer vaccine. Don’t believe that’s true but if it is it is obviously a problem.

All that said, we can certainly do better with plan and marshaling resources to get shots into arms, the last and critical piece of the distribution chain.
Because of the storage temp it's more difficult for sure. But it sounds like the shipping containers also act as storage units.

COVID-19 Vaccine U.S. Distribution Fact Sheet | Pfizer

• We also have developed packaging and storage innovations to be fit for purpose for the range of locations where we believe vaccinations will take place. We have specially designed,temperature-controlled thermal shippers utilizing dry ice to maintain recommended storage temperature conditions of -70°C±10°C for up to 10 days unopened. The intent is to utilize Pfizer-strategic transportation partners to ship by air to major hubs within a country/region and by ground transport to dosing locations.

Look at the issue at multiple Walgreens in KY. This will occur at many pharmacies. There will be a tremendous amount of waste. Wait for the AZ vaccine which can easily be done by pharmacy.
My question is why do any pharmacies have any doses right now. Front line workers haven't even come close to be vaccinated. How is the general public getting a vaccine before hospital workers and nursing homes.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Look at the issue at multiple Walgreens in KY. This will occur at many pharmacies. There will be a tremendous amount of waste. Wait for the AZ vaccine which can easily be done by pharmacy.
My question is why do any pharmacies have any doses right now. Front line workers haven't even come close to be vaccinated. How is the general public getting a vaccine before hospital workers and nursing homes.

There won’t be any waste because pharmacies will do what the KY Walgreens did when there were a few extra doses, they’re going to find people to give them to. Which won’t be difficult since demand isn’t too sparse these days.

There won’t be any waste because pharmacies will do what the KY Walgreens did when there were a few extra doses, they’re going to find people to give them to. Which won’t be difficult since demand isn’t too sparse these days.
Oh boy. Talk about missing the point.

Reactions: rurichdog

I believe Florida and Texas are giving it to the elderly before front line workers

Yeah it looks like everyone is focusing on LTC facilities for Jan and finishing up medical professionals. They aren’t focused on bulk vaccinations yet. Although it sounds like bulk vaccinations for 75+ and front line workers will likely start in tandem sometime in Jan (at least in NJ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT