ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dan Hurley to Uconn

Hurley wouldn't be strongly considering Uconn if he was concerned about the finances ,AAC competition and the ability to recruit .

Kenpom has URI ranked 37th in experience this year. 5 out of the 9 players in the rotation are seniors.

That would be a very good reason to move. Next year it is likely he isn't an attractive free agent. Could be the right time to monetize his success.

Kenpom has URI ranked 37th in experience this year. 5 out of the 9 players in the rotation are seniors.

That would be a very good reason to move. Next year it is likely he isn't an attractive free agent. Could be the right time to monetize his success.

Agree....Hurley and Cox built that team with transfers from HM programs to play in a lesser conference. Great strategy, But..he was not able to make a tourney run in 2 tries and only won 1 conference title in 5 years.

UConn athletics is a plane with an engine on fire and no runway in sight.

After snubbing us, doesnt make sense to me why he'd take uconn now. Rutgers and Pitt are both better jobs than UConn now.

Last edited:
Pitt is a much better job than UConn! All you need is a couple of recruits, what's that $100k and your back in business.

Reactions: RU82
I stated last night on this thread that I felt that Danny just might turn down both jobs. He seems to like forcing RI to up his pay as he did twice by playing us both times.

Hurley decision will probably be announced tonight or tomorrow. I'd be surprised if it went on much longer

Last week you said Hurley wasn't considering Uconn...

This is why I have to take your posts and "people" with a big grain a salt.

That was last week.....LOL.........UConn is fighting for survival....I don't think he's enamored with the job....he's had an offer for well over 48 hours....how long does one have to take before the school realizes he doesn't actually want the job...???......jobs that people actually want to take (vs negotiating back with URI) actually get done rather quickly....

As recently as Sunday, I was told pretty much done and that Pitt wasn't actually involved....now there are tweets that Pitt is actually involved....(whether it's a negotiating ploy on Hurley camp, not sure).....but I don't think he's in love with UConn, the job etc....Pitt also has to get involved here, he's capable option that can help rebuild, although he may be afraid of the ACC and the length of the rebuild there.....the pay may make it worth his while....

But these are coaching changes and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know this is not the only opening available (there is a 3rd better job that will open soon that is better than both Pitt and UConn, just not announced yet).....better stayed tuned, this might get messy....

Calling it now. If Hurley doesn’t land at Uconn, Calhoun will be back.

not saying it is impossible - but consider
- you are talking about a guy born May 10, 1942 (age 75 - soon to be 76 )
maybe he could do it today - but it is an intense job - one that he retired from in 2012, primarily because of "health" reasons (yes - some think otherwise) - but realistically - what sort of sustainable effort could he be expected to mount - especially in a situation like this that will require non-stop effort to attempt to refloat this sinking ship.

Calling it now. If Hurley doesn’t land at Uconn, Calhoun will be back.

There are 2nd or 3rd tier choices that would really grind and bring UConn back to a relevancy....I don't think the fan base would be excited however and that has a factor in chasing Hurley....A couple of existing D1 "name" coaches are interested that have been mentioned in other threads but one in particular would be interesting.....I don't think this is a situation where Calhoun resurfaces as coach....

That was last week.....LOL.........UConn is fighting for survival....I don't think he's enamored with the job....he's had an offer for well over 48 hours....how long does one have to take before the school realizes he doesn't actually want the job...???......jobs that people actually want to take (vs negotiating back with URI) actually get done rather quickly....

As recently as Sunday, I was told pretty much done and that Pitt wasn't actually involved....now there are tweets that Pitt is actually involved....(whether it's a negotiating ploy on Hurley camp, not sure).....but I don't think he's in love with UConn, the job etc....Pitt also has to get involved here, he's capable option that can help rebuild, although he may be afraid of the ACC and the length of the rebuild there.....the pay may make it worth his while....

But these are coaching changes and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know this is not the only opening available (there is a 3rd better job that will open soon that is better than both Pitt and UConn, just not announced yet).....better stayed tuned, this might get messy....
St. Johns?

Not sure why your LOL'ing. Of course things change, but your comment last week was stated as if he would never entertain the idea of coaching at UCONN.

I have zero connects and knew that was a silly statement to make.

Anyways don't want to sidetrack the thread.

There are 2nd or 3rd tier choices that would really grind and bring UConn back to a relevancy....I don't think the fan base would be excited however and that has a factor in chasing Hurley....A couple of existing D1 "name" coaches are interested that have been mentioned in other threads but one in particular would be interesting.....I don't think this is a situation where Calhoun resurfaces as coach....
Calhoun has said he'd not rule out coaching St.Josephs small school in Connecticut that he's helping start a D-III MBB program.
UConn might just use him as a short term solution and try to get a coach in waiting to work under him, if they feel he's the best they can do at this point.

Calhoun has said he'd not rule out coaching St.Josephs small school in Connecticut that he's helping start a D-III MBB program.
UConn might just use him as a short term solution and try to get a coach in waiting to work under him, if they feel he's the best they can do at this point.
Because his previous hand picked successor, who he basically hired as a coach in waiting, worked out so great?

Reactions: MADHAT1
I stated last night on this thread that I felt that Danny just might turn down both jobs. He seems to like forcing RI to up his pay as he did twice by playing us both times.

with a down year coming up for URI next year, Danny would be wise to jump now, not sure what else is out there, not much and he isnt going to Louisville

Because his previous hand picked successor, who he basically hired as a coach in waiting, worked out so great?

UCONN needs someone who will be grinding and traveling all over recruiting kids. Word on the UCONN board is Ollie was simply outworked the last couple years...along with some other personal issues.

UCONN fans might like the idea but it doesn’t take long for kids to forget who people are and I’m not sure Calhoun’s name will have as much cache as they think around the country. Especially with the team being at the bottom third of the AAC right now

I don't know if Ollie got outworked on the recruiting trail or not but one thing I do know and that is that Ollie was not allowed to use the same recruiting methods that Calhoun used to get players.

UConn fans just don't want to hear that, nor do they want to accept it.

I don't know if Ollie got outworked on the recruiting trail or not but one thing I do know and that is that Ollie was not allowed to use the same recruiting methods that Calhoun used to get players.

would Hurley (or whoever) use Ollie's recruiting methods or Calhoun's methods?

Does that mean he was forced to use legal tactics only?

Maybe that’s why he is being beat out for these 3 and mid tier 4*. With all things equal (guys not good enough to get paid), he was outworked by other coaches

Reactions: Russ Wood
He won with someone else's guys-----that's about it.

Still won't believe Hurley takes either job until I see it.

Hurley hesitation at UCONN job speaks volumes. Wouldn't be surprised if he takes the Pitt job.

Hurley hesitation at UCONN job speaks volumes. Wouldn't be surprised if he takes the Pitt job.
I believe Pitt is offering more money so you probably should flip the order of the schools.

Also a decision is expected to be announced today so....
DisGonBeGood.gif

Reactions: NewJerseyHawk
Pitt offered $3M and UConn won't come close to that. Danny is not going to go out West like his brother....he wants to stay in the Northeast. Either UConn ponies up more or he negotiates a raise out of URI and waits for other NE jobs to come up in the next couple of years...Syracuse-Boeheim is going to retire soon enough? or St. John's if Mullin continues to puke,

I said that several days ago that he just might be playing a game again to get more money from Rhode Island.

Sean Miller shot down rumor that he is a candidate for the Pitt job. Wished them well in their search.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT