ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Devil Fanatics

zappaa

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Montclair NJ
Kakko just scored a hat trick for his 5th goal in two games!
The Trick was scored against the team that dominated team USA in the first game...Slovakia.
This decision is huge for the Devils, Hughes is a media no brainer.
As a Ranger fanatic, a week ago I was praying the Devils took Kakko, but after watching him play against grown men and dominate at the world championships...I want him.
Take Hughes Devils!!!!

Tough one
Austin Matthews or Patrik Kane ???
Hughes can have 60 assists per year , Color man Ray Ferraro said it takes an adjustment period to play with Hughes....”you must learn to play with your stick always on the ice because Jack will somehow find it “

Uh Hughes is better and Devils will take him #1
Hughes hasn’t done anything to make the Devils not want to take him at #1. Kappo is showing that the gap between the two is small if it exists at all.

The Devils still need to take Hughes because a center is more valuable and they need the “brand” help getting Hughes would bring.

As a Devil's fan I'm prepared to accept the idea that Kakko may be the better and more impactful player the first 2 or 3 years of their careers, but if Hughes truly has elite talent as well, you have to take the center over the wing and play the long game.

Devils are taking Hughes. Full stop. There are more questions around his game given size and level of competition but it's not even a debate.

Love both prospects and as a Devils fan was praying for a top 2 choice. Hughes and Kakko are different players with different games. I will be happy with either, my only hesitation is we will be small at center if Zacha cant stick there and we take Hughes. Also like that Kakko if doing it against grown men all year. USNDT isn't exactly know for great competition night in night out.

I like Hughes potential because right now because he's just a skinny runt, once stronger his impact will be bigger.

So many people choosing their preference on such small sample size. I'd be surprised if the Devils don't take Hughes regardless of how either one does in this tournament.

Not having seen either & all things being equal, I would take the bigger man here.

Not having seen either & all things being equal, I would take the bigger man here.
True. But not sure things are equal. They really are 2 different type of players. No one in the draft, and few in the NHL, has the skating and vision that Hughes has. No one in the draft has the combo of size/hockey sense/puck handling that Kakko has.

Both will probably be great, but if it were up to me, I'd take Hughes.

Of course Kakko had to score again today. I'm in a hockey forum where his recent success has made this Hughes-Kakko debate insufferable.

Of course Kakko had to score again today. I'm in a hockey forum where his recent success has made this Hughes-Kakko debate insufferable.
It’s a tough call Ronnie
I talk with Larry Brooks often, the Rangers have the easiest decision in hockey history...lol
And the can’t screw it up, like taking Lias Andesson with the 7th pick... and his 10 goal per year ceiling

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
It’s a tough call Ronnie
I talk with Larry Brooks often, the Rangers have the easiest decision in hockey history...lol
And the can’t screw it up, like taking Lias Andesson with the 7th pick... and his 10 goal per year ceiling

I agree with you. In fact, knowing the Rangers I was rooting for them to get the #2 pick (I've preferred Kakko since the World Juniors where he scored the Gold medal winning goal against Team USA). I don't see how you don't take Hughes #1 since he has the highest ceiling in the draft. I believe that Kakko is more likely to reach his ceiling than Hughes will reach his.

What will probably happen is that if the Devils take Kakko, the Rangers will get confused and take Cozens since they have him as the best after Kakko and the Blackhawks will wind up with Hughes.

Reactions: Skull83
I agree with you. In fact, knowing the Rangers I was rooting for them to get the #2 pick (I've preferred Kakko since the World Juniors where he scored the Gold medal winning goal against Team USA). I don't see how you don't take Hughes #1 since he has the highest ceiling in the draft. I believe that Kakko is more likely to reach his ceiling than Hughes will reach his.

What will probably happen is that if the Devils take Kakko, the Rangers will get confused and take Cozens since they have him as the best after Kakko and the Blackhawks will wind up with Hughes.
LOL[roll]
That can't happen...can it??

Kakko just scored a hat trick for his 5th goal in two games!
The Trick was scored against the team that dominated team USA in the first game...Slovakia.
This decision is huge for the Devils, Hughes is a media no brainer.
As a Ranger fanatic, a week ago I was praying the Devils took Kakko, but after watching him play against grown men and dominate at the world championships...I want him.
Take Hughes Devils!!!!
I want Kakko. As a NYR fan, I pray that the Newark Devils screw the pooch and pick Hughes.

It’s a tough call Ronnie
Problem is if the Devils pass up on Hughes and he tears it up at the Garden and it turns Kakko reached his ceiling and while a very good NHL player, just not elite, it will hurt immensely.

The thing that intrigues me the most about Hughes is not his speed but his playmaking skills, his passing is absolutely ridiculous, if he gets stronger and isn't pushed around I think we're looking at a 25-75 a year player, consistently. And that number is the lowside.

And then there is that speed, opposing defensemen will be doing this every game all game - when Devils make a line change see if Hughes is stepping on the ice, they're going to back up.

You gotta take Hughes.

@zappaa on a side note I'd love to post an excerpt from your book with a photo and link to buy the book on our Facebook page, we have around 75,000 followers. If you're interested shoot me a PM.

He's the best player.

Hughes is over rated
As a Ranger fan, I think your comment is ridiculous. Hughes has done nothing to change the idea that he deserves to be the #1 pick. The only development is that Kakko, from last year's WJC through this season in Liiga followed up by his World Championship performance, has elevated himself to where he is also a valid choice at #1.

They are different enough in size, position, NHL readiness, and the intangibles they bring that the Devils have plenty of criteria to use to make their final decision. I believe it will be Hughes.

As a Ranger fan, I think your comment is ridiculous. Hughes has done nothing to change the idea that he deserves to be the #1 pick. The only development is that Kakko, from last year's WJC through this season in Liiga followed up by his World Championship performance, has elevated himself to where he is also a valid choice at #1.

They are different enough in size, position, NHL readiness, and the intangibles they bring that the Devils have plenty of criteria to use to make their final decision. I believe it will be Hughes.
Knowing the Devils are getting an elite talent in Hughes and watching Kakko tear it up the last past couple weeks, the most depressed people in the world might be Flyers fans.

I was surprised to see that the Rangers signed a Devils draft pick.
Is he any good? Hopefully not

https://www.nj.com/devils/2019/05/r...ls-pick-yegor-rykov-following-2018-trade.html

He was acquired when the Rangers traded Grabner to the Devils. He's expected to be a regular in the NHL, probably a 2nd (ceiling) or 3rd pairing guy. He played 157 games in the KHL and recorded 5 goals with 28 assists during the regular season and his best years were his last two (all 5 goals and 18 assists in 100 games). He's played 36 KHL playoff games with 0 goals and 5 assists.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT