ADVERTISEMENT

OT: differnt movie-quote thread.. like the one-word thread

Sep 11, 2006
The movie line quote thread got me thinking of a little game. Feel free to research when needed.

Gonna re-work teh rules to cover the more difficult movies to quote...

-When you REPLY by quoting a post (which is a movie quote)..you can use...
1) another quote from same actor in a different movie
2) another quote from same movie
3) a quote by an actor in the original movie but the quote is from a different movie

This is to cover the case where I wrongly quoted Tom Hanks in Castaway to reply to a Meg Ryan quote from Joe vs the Volcano. That was wong then, but because using a good quote from a barely memorable movie could end that branch of quotes and responses.. I think this opens it up more.

Last edited:
Meg Ryan was not in cast away.
She was in Joe and the Volcano with... TOM HANKS.. who was in castaway and who was quoted in the thread where the Meg Ryan quote from same movie Top Gun was.

- She lost that loving feeling (Top Gun by Maverick)
- Taken me to bed or lose me forever (Meg Ryan in Top Gun)
- “Joe, nobody knows anything. We'll take this leap and we'll see. We'll jump and we'll see. That's life!” (Meg Ryan in Joe vs the Volcano with Tom Hanks)
- Wilson! (Tom Hanks in Castaway)...

Hmmm.. I see what RutHut is saying.. I suppose the rules I stated did not go far enough because once you have a less memorable movie.. like Joe vs the Volcano used... how is anyone going to quote Tom Hanks or John Candy? or even Meg Ryan again from that movie?

So, what do you guys think.. should the rules allow a change like I did.. another actor fdreom same movie quoted in a different movie.. or force use of a Meg Ryan quote from another movie to get away from Joe and the Volcano?

The rules of his game are so convoluted HE can’t even follow them.
Rules weren't exactly convoluted.. hard to do with basically 2 rules.. but I added a third response type to match what I did.. which as Ruthut pointed out.. was wrong given the two types of legal responses. I changed OP post to be more clear.

You might have killed your own good idea!

It only really works if you have movie quotes people actually know. As you point out. Or movie stars with many memorable quotes. I can’t think of a good Meg Ryan quote beyond the fake orgasm.

“You can’t handle the truth”

“I love you too kid”

But now I need another line from Terms of Endearment or just keep going with Nicholson.

“Heeere’s Johnny”

But then what? I need a memorable Shelley Duvall line?

This thought exercise has (anecdotally) proven to me that most great lines are written for men. (Rob Reiner’s mother saying “I’ll have what she’s having” being a notable exception.)

You might have killed your own good idea!

It only really works if you have movie quotes people actually know. As you point out. Or movie stars with many memorable quotes. I can’t think of a good Meg Ryan quote beyond the fake orgasm.

“You can’t handle the truth”

“I love you too kid”

But now I need another line from Terms of Endearment or just keep going with Nicholson.

“Heeere’s Johnny”

But then what? I need a memorable Shelley Duvall line?

This thought exercise has (anecdotally) proven to me that most great lines are written for men. (Rob Reiner’s mother saying “I’ll have what she’s having” being a notable exception.)
You could have said "YES YES YES YES" and that would have opened up any quotes by Billy Crystal... which, makes me think of Princess Bride again...

This is why the rules are now... and I apologize for patriarchy (not really)

-When you REPLY by quoting a post (which is a movie quote)..you can use...

1) another quote from same actor in a different movie
2) another quote from same movie
3) a quote by an actor in the original movie but the quote is from a different movie

That should open a lot of options.. the last post to be replied to will be posted next...

(Hint: Robin Wright in Princess Bride.. so that opens up any actor in Princess Bride in that movie or any other)

Last edited:
Kevin Bacon said the same thing.
Byline under headline says that Kevin Bacon of Keansburg is charged with murder of Woodbridge woman. Doubt the same Kevin Bacon lives in Keansburg?

Well, lets see.. Gandolfini did a movie in Keansburg.. "Down the Shore".. so a Gandolfini quote... as Tony

“Those who want respect, give respect.”

Reactions: Knight Shift
6 degrees of Kevin Bacon. What's the connection.
Keansburg mentioned in your post... I cannot site a direct Bacon to Gandolfini thing off the top of my head.. but its an easy jump to Gandolfini in the Mexican through Brad Pitt (Sleepers).. but in my case you mentioned Keansburg and not even the actual Kevin Bacon. So I bought is back through a movie set in Keansburg. I was a little shocked to see the thread resurface at all.

Gandolfini in The Last Castle is also a good one for connections.. Redford and George C Scott and Mark Ruffalo. And Crimson Tided.. man.. you get Denzel and Gene Hackman through Gandolfini and from there you can go anywhere. "Roll Tide!"

So the million dollar connection is Kevin Bacon and Gene Hacman in... ? anyone? ... Buehler? ... starred Kevin Costner.. ???

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT