ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Divorce atty. recommendations

We met last night. She thinks we should work on the marriage and see where it goes. Hello, mind F.

BROTHER: I think you need a few beers on me. Your situation sounds like many peoples nightmares.

Originally posted by NorthJersey:
We met last night. She thinks we should work on the marriage and see where it goes. Hello, mind F.
I guess I'm confused by this. What's wrong with her wanting to work on the marriage and see where it goes? Isn't that better than her just saying "I'm done, bye"?

Originally posted by mildone:
I guess I'm confused by this. What's wrong with her wanting to work on the marriage and see where it goes? Isn't that better than her just saying "I'm done, bye"?
Because now NorthJersey is in limbo - what happens if he thinks everything is going good and she has another 'I need to find myself' moment. Bottom line she sounds like she is unstable emotionally right now and has no idea what she wants or doesn't want - tough spot, Good luck NorthJersey - I think you are doing the right thing - I hope all works out well.

Originally posted by Otispa:
Same as Knightfan----look up Sheldon Simon in Morris Plains. He is an animal!!!
She was at a different firm when I went thru my divorce but my sister has been a partner there for years now. She's a very smart, no nonsense, straight forward type of person (and an RU Grad
smile.r191677.gif
).

BROTHER: I think you need a few beers on me. Your situation sounds like many peoples nightmares.
May want to consider a pre emptive strike and you file for divorce now. That way if she truly is willing to renew the relationship over a period of time you can always put the divorce on hold or pull it back. And if she returns to the I need to find myself again thinking then you have made a smart move by putting your cards on the table for family and friends to see the true picture.

If she is seeing someone else now it's unlikely that she will return to a faithful marriage with you. Sometimes in life it's better to do it to them before they do it to you, if you know what I mean.

also strongly suggest that you hire the very best attorney in the county where the family court resides. The higher fees you may pay upfront will be more than recovered by the favorable rulings you'll get from the court by having a lawyer that the judges respect. I've seen this happen frequently in the past.

would be interested in hearing brother skinny's thoughts on this strategy. Remember this isn't a war between you and your wife. It's much more intense than that.

Being in limbo is not where I imagined I'd be less than two years after marriage. My dad also told me to file and walk it back if we do reconcile. Half of me wants to, the other half is in denial. Goddamn you, emotions.

Being in limbo is not where I imagined I'd be less than two years after marriage. My dad also told me to file and walk it back if we do reconcile. Half of me wants to, the other half is in denial. Goddamn you, emotions.
Married less than 2 years and contemplating divorce? You said in your firs post that it "came from out of nowhere." Did you think you guys were happy? There were no signs of her being unhappy? Did you guys date for a while or live together before getting married?

Sorry for all the questions, but perhaps going to therapy or a counselor will help you work through the issues. Good luck.

Met her at PSU. We're friends for several years. Dated for seven years (lived together in hoboken for six), then got married. Never knew she was unhappy as she never mentioned a thing. We always had a great time together. We went to a few MC sessions after the new year, and it was a bust. It's like she had already made up her mind.

Originally posted by mildone:
Interesting to see how different people would handle this situation. And how people jump to conclusions without knowing anything.

First thing I'd do is give her space w/out doing anything drastic. Definitely consult with some legal/financial experts as necessary to protect yourself, but you don't have to jump right to divorce unless you don't really care about her or the marriage.

Yeah, maybe she's met another guy, and that would suck. But if you are the controlling or smothering type, she might just want to get
away from you so she can think straight and it might not be another guy at all (hint: smothering/controlling guys can't always recognize or admit it to themselves - ask a friend who'll be honest with you).

If you do wind up getting divorced, you should follow the advice from those telling you to try to work things out yourselves if at all possible.

I got divorced a handful of years ago (in NJ) after being married for 18 years, having 3 kids, having a variety of financial things (variety of savings, 401Ks, stock options, a business, house, cars, etc, although no trusts).

We collected all the financial information and organized it. She got a lawyer to draft an initial agreement that addressed everything because it helps to have a starting point. Then she and I sat down together and worked out changes to that agreement, details, etc. Once we had it all worked out between us, I had the agreement reviewed by an attorney. My total cost was $385. Don't know hers exactly, but had to be less than $1000.

Ex wife and I are friends. We do family holidays together, our families still do things together, etc. To me, my ex, our kids and our extended families, we had the best divorce possible.

Or you can go the overly emotional, butt-hurt route. That usually creates lots of the wedge issues divorce attorney's thrive on. They will be more than happy to argue out every little detail for you at 300-400/hour. This route will cost you tens of thousands of dollars (at least) and you'll probably wind up with virtually the same outcome you would've had going the emotionless route.

Sorry you have to go through this, but try to tamp down the emotions, avoid being punitive (NJ divorce/family law doesn't provide much leeway for being punitive anyway). Protect yourself and be smart for the long run.
smartest guy in this thread

Been down this road twice, first I wanted second was wanted by the ex. Best advice I can give is to get over the emotions and look at it as making a business decision because at the end of the day assets & debt are what the divorce will be all about.

NorthJersey,
I'm sorry you're going through this. I practice almost exclusively in family/divorce law and am based in Hoboken. Send me an email at my personal address. Whether you want to cool things down and reconcile or are looking to file right away, I would be happy to talk to you and answer your questions. Good luck.

ftsidoti@gmail.com

Ivette Alvarez in Denville. Various awards and distinctions in relation to the Family Bar in NJ:

http://www.einhornharris.com/attorneys/ivette-ramos-alvarez/

Speaking of divorce:

Does anybody have advice on how to get two people divorced BEFORE he can pop the question? I know of two people "seeing" each other, but they would make a horrible bride and groom. People say they might be "friends with benefits," but I don't understand the concept of that and assume all romantic involvement is the road to marriage.

How can I nip them in the bud so they don't have to go through a messy divorce later?

Originally posted by LadyRU09:
Speaking of divorce:

Does anybody have advice on how to get two people divorced BEFORE he can pop the question? I know of two people "seeing" each other, but they would make a horrible bride and groom. People say they might be "friends with benefits," but I don't understand the concept of that and assume all romantic involvement is the road to marriage.

How can I nip them in the bud so they don't have to go through a messy divorce later?
I would only attempt such a thing if you don't mind losing them as friends. Stepping into the middle of someone else's relationship has a very high chance of damaging the friendship.

NJ: Thanks for the offer of the beers, maybe I will take you up on that during football season! BTW how long have you and your wife been married? The reason I ask is new legislation was passed this past fall eliminating permanent alimony but thanks to the NJ BAR family law section they gutted the parts that would help current alimony payers. Also in NJ there is a presumption of permanent alimony for marriages lasting longer than 15 years. Since there is no mechanism to make sure the judges are following the new law if your marriage goes for longer than 15 years you could be hit with permanent if you were the primary breadwinner. BTW judges still have alot of discretion over alimony and that is exactly how the NJ bar FLS wants it. MAkes for good fodder to keep the litigation going. Its interesting to note, That the American Bar association favors going with a guidelines approach to divorces, While certain states like NJ and several others like to have the adversarial approach so that the attorneys can advocate for the best outcome. Hahaha! The best outcome to a majority of family law attorneys is to ratchet up the acrimony and alimony....get the kids into the mix and you have a poison cocktail to keep the billing machine going. I know this first hand. In anycase, with any reconciliation just be careful. I would highly recommend going to a professional marriage couselor. also if you decide to go this route(reconciliation) then I would purchase a small digital recorder and anytime you are with your wife alone or with the therapist, you have a recording. This would have saved me my relationship with my kids had I had a recording of the BS my ex pulled with false DV charges and restraining orders. Just be careful, could be a trap, you can never be too cautious especially since the separation and reconciliation are coming from her. Good Luck!

BTW NJ is a one party consent state so you can legally record as long as you are a party to the discussion. Check with your attorney or a friend who is an attorney just to be sure.
This post was edited on 2/18 4:05 PM by BROTHERSKINNY

Married for less than two years. Don't have kids - don't want them. Guess I lucked out if this marriage goes down on me quicker than my prom date.

Your ex filed false DV charges on you? Jesus Christ.

Married for less than two years. Don't have kids - don't want them. Guess I lucked out if this marriage goes down on me quicker than my prom date.

The only thing I can say with authority after reading this thread is, you had a better prom date than I did.
smile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by jmg75:

The only thing I can say with authority after reading this thread is, you had a better prom date than I did.
smile.r191677.gif
My prom date got married last month. I now feel like a dirty homewrecker.

Oh you are in good shape. Two years the judge most likely will dissolve the marriage and split the assets. I hope everything works out for you! Keep us posted on your progress.

Speaking of divorce:

Best not to say anything unless something illegal or cheating is involved.

Straight up saying that they make a terrible couple and should never get married, even if you are 100% correct, will only make you look bad. Now if they asked your opinion, then you can be honest, but do not bring it up on your own.

Most people get married for all the wrong reasons anyway, let them make their own mistakes, just focus on yourself.

Originally posted by Scarlet_Scourge:
Speaking of divorce:

Straight up saying that they make a terrible couple and should never get married, even if you are 100% correct, will only make you look bad. Now if they asked your opinion, then you can be honest, but do not bring it up on your own.

Most people get married for all the wrong reasons anyway, let them make their own mistakes, just focus on yourself.
This. Just be there for them if they do get married and get divorced. Making your opinion or feelings known usually doesn't end well for the opinionmaker.

Speaking of divorce:

I tried to stop my roommate in grad school from proposing. They had such fundamental differences especially when it came to money and success. Took him to a bar and did the whole sit down. He was annoyed but she was obviously furious, they moved out, got married and go divorced two years later. I have no regrets other than not being persuasive enough. Oh, and having to move out of an awesome apartment.

Originally posted by vkj91:

Speaking of divorce:

I tried to stop my roommate in grad school from proposing. They had such fundamental differences especially when it came to money and success. Took him to a bar and did the whole sit down. He was annoyed but she was obviously furious, they moved out, got married and go divorced two years later. I have no regrets other than not being persuasive enough. Oh, and having to move out of an awesome apartment.
Interesting.

Originally posted by MoobyCow:

Speaking of divorce:

I would only attempt such a thing if you don't mind losing them as friends. Stepping into the middle of someone else's relationship has a very high chance of damaging the friendship.
i concur. nothing good can come from getting involved. Que Sera Sera.

NorthJersey,

Divorce is rough, no question. But if you've only been married two years and have no kids, this isn't necessarily even a bad thing. Better now than ten years and two kids from now.

This isn't a dress rehearsal for life. It's your real life. I would recommend you work out as much as you possibly can with your wife amicably and don't sweat the small stuff. Divorce lawyers have one client: their bottom line. Try to end this on as good a set of terms as possible. It will be rough at times, but lean on friends and family, and you'll come out the other side OK.

And then get on with your life. There are great women out there who can enhance the quality of your life immensely. Maybe you work with one. Maybe it's a buddy's kid sister. Take your time.

I wish you all the best. Don't give up hope.

Thanks, Skillet.

We've decided to give it three months and see where we are. I really do love her, but I'm willing to walk if she's not 100% committed. She has to understand that it's a marriage, not some goddamn fairytale. It takes work to be successful in a marriage.

Wait, I thought you already cut her a check for half the joint savings...she's back?
Must have been a fun weekend with the side piece.

I am a case in point to Skillets words. Two years into my marriage I had some marriage strife; mostly around the notion what we wanted out of life and what bring married ment. Things weren't really resolved, just glossed over. My wife just is a little to irrational to be normal. 9 years later things blew up in a major way; except we had 2 kids and all my assets comingled. I wouldn't give up having my kids for anything but those 9 years in between contained an unhealthy unhappy marriage. You may stick together but will it be worth it? You may love her but she moved out. That should tell you something. Sometimes the painful thing to do is the right thing to do. I was once where you are. Ping me at mikebloom23@yahoo if you want to vent. #psublows.

Originally posted by rurichdog:
Wait, I thought you already cut her a check for half the joint savings...she's back?
Must have been a fun weekend with the side piece.
I did cut her a check, she won't cash it, which is driving me a little nuts. She's also still in her new place. No side piece for me. No way I'd have the patience to deal with two women. Absolutely none.

Agree with RCTrooper. Almost left after six years. Should have in hindsight. Almost left after 19 years. She made promises. Stayed. Promises vanished quick. Should have left in hindsight. She told me she was leaving the night of our 24th anniversary. I talked her down so I could get my ducks in a row. Third time's the charm. Twenty plus years of misery. I want my last ten to twenty years of my life to be semi-enjoyable. Best of luck. I'd run like hell.

Speaking of divorce:

Does somebody maybe have a special interest in the outcome of this situation..?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT