ADVERTISEMENT

OT: DJ/Producer Avicii dead at 28...

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Surprised no thread on this yet. Guy was huge in the EDM/Pop world, producing all kinds of hits, although probably best known for "Wake Me Up" or "Levels." I dabble in EDM - need @AreYouNUTS, the real EDM expert, to weigh in on this loss, although maybe some of the youngsters on the board can also comment. Whenever you see a 28 year old pop star "found dead in his room" (in Oman, no less), you immediately think suicide or overdose, but this guy has a really tough history of poor health, so maybe it was health related. Regardless, RIP.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/pan...-28-dies-years-health-problems-235142311.html

Surprised no thread on this yet. Guy was huge in the EDM/Pop world, producing all kinds of hits, although probably best known for "Wake Me Up" or "Levels." I dabble in EDM - need @AreYouNUTS, the real EDM expert, to weigh in on this loss, although maybe some of the youngsters on the board can also comment. Whenever you see a 28 year old pop star "found dead in his room" (in Oman, no less), you immediately think suicide or overdose, but this guy has a really tough history of poor health, so maybe it was health related. Regardless, RIP.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/pan...-28-dies-years-health-problems-235142311.html

https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/threads/dj-avicii-dead.143759/

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Well, there is a frost advisory tonight for most of SNJ/SEPA and part of CNJ, but was too busy to post about it in a timely manner...

It was actually converted to a freeze warning at 2:43 am until 8 am for most of the frost advisory area - wonder how many saw it, lol. Anyway, it did get pretty chilly overnight. Shouldn't get this cold again tonight, although it will get into the 30s. A gorgeous weekend on tap, if slightly cool and it should be fairly seasonable the rest of the week (maybe a little cool, but not like it's been). Enjoy.

30744018_10213731263349865_6514727443931070464_n.jpg

It was actually converted to a freeze warning at 2:43 am until 8 am for most of the frost advisory area - wonder how many saw it, lol. Anyway, it did get pretty chilly overnight. Shouldn't get this cold again tonight, although it will get into the 30s. A gorgeous weekend on tap, if slightly cool and it should be fairly seasonable the rest of the week (maybe a little cool, but not like it's been). Enjoy.

30744018_10213731263349865_6514727443931070464_n.jpg
[pfftt]

tenor.png

The he is RU#'s. Maybe you should put him on ignore if you don't like his posts. Or do you enjoy busting his balls? Don't be like the other troublemaker in this thread, who never has anything nice to say about basically anybody. He guy is a misery, and the fact he gets preemptively banned in weather threads says a lot about one of his many issues.

Avicii was blowing up during my Belmar shore house days. Amazing memories associated with his music. Fist bumped him in Vegas at a pool party one time! Sad seems he had poor health from excessive drinking. DJing sounds fun but it's a rough lifestyle of late nights constantly. Probably hard to do sober

Avicii was blowing up during my Belmar shore house days. Amazing memories associated with his music. Fist bumped him in Vegas at a pool party one time! Sad seems he had poor health from excessive drinking. DJing sounds fun but it's a rough lifestyle of late nights constantly. Probably hard to do sober
Why?
It's a job spinning records.
My father played in bars/restaurants his entire life. He did not drink on the job.

Ok. You seem like a great guy. Super understanding of different problems different people face.
Actually, I am both, but thanks for judging me through a message board. Never cast judgment or gave an opinion about his drinking problem. But now I will. It is a terrible problem, and led to him retiring early. That's very sad for such a young man, and very sad the problem led to an early death. Have not heard that this is an epidemic in the DJ profession. How about a hug, and we move on? Or do you want to hold a grudge?

Your father played to tens of thousands of people at major music festivals?
No, if you read my post, that is not what I said. But he played in an environment where alcohol was readily available and provided if he wanted it. Many people in entertainment do. So what was the point of your question?

Actually, I am both, but thanks for judging me through a message board. Never cast judgment or gave an opinion about his drinking problem. But now I will. It is a terrible problem, and led to him retiring early. That's very sad for such a young man, and very sad the problem led to an early death. Have not heard that this is an epidemic in the DJ profession. How about a hug, and we move on? Or do you want to hold a grudge?
Nope, no grudge. So long as you agree you don't know what you're talking about.

Demons come with lots of different faces. That's all I'm saying.

Agree, it's very sad.

No, if you read my post, that is not what I said. But he played in an environment where alcohol was readily available and provided if he wanted it. Many people in entertainment do. So what was the point of your question?
Your Dad's situation and Avicii's situation are as comparable as apples and beef ribs. But they both spun some records, so they both should have been sober as judges amirite you tool?

Geez a guy like Avicii was traveling the globe going to nonstop outdoor EDM shows, getting paid absolute insane tens of millions of dollars, access to all the drugs and booze & women one could ever imagine and anyone here wants to compare to a family member who was a “DJ”? The amount of money guys from Avicii to Calvin Harris and even a guy like Pauly D himself made off this scene is insane

With that comes pressure too. Look up what Avicii was earning and compare it to a jabroni like Aaron Judge.

I know people who have made insane amounts of money and still managed not to drink themselves to death.

Everyone has their own inherent ability to tolerate distraction.

And, as an homage to my friend @Knight Shift, my opening tailgate meal will be braised short ribs with apple compote.
Umm, thanks. This is my last post in this thread. But you pretty much nailed it in your first two sentences. A lot of poor reading comprehension and/or assumptions here about what I posted. My father was not a DJ--don't know where that came from.
If a person is an alcoholic or drug addict, does it really matter how much money they make or how many people they perform in front of if they are constantly put in situations where drugs and alcohol are available? Whether they make $50/night or millions per night, the same temptations are still there. Probably why the guy retired from the business.

Geez a guy like Avicii was traveling the globe going to nonstop outdoor EDM shows, getting paid absolute insane tens of millions of dollars, access to all the drugs and booze & women one could ever imagine and anyone here wants to compare to a family member who was a “DJ”? The amount of money guys from Avicii to Calvin Harris and even a guy like Pauly D himself made off this scene is insane

With that comes pressure too. Look up what Avicii was earning and compare it to a jabroni like Aaron Judge.
Judge will get his, MLB contracts work a certain way. What about a “jabroni” like Giancarlo Stanton?

Lots of people can make a boat load of money, while being around temptations and not succumb to them.

Disagree with the blanket statement that "it is hard to do sober." Maybe for the dead DJ it was.

Plenty of DJ's do it sober. Many of them had to get there though. Problem is it's an incredibly enticing environment for those that can't control themselves. Their place of work when performing live is filled with people drinking and doing drugs. A guy like Aaron Judge's job is playing a sport. Totally different.

Avicci's problem wasn't just booze. And his manager did nothing to help a guy who had serious problems.

First off I'm hardly an "expert" anymore but thanks @RU848789 .....second, to follow up on this thought, spinning records and producing over the course of long, LONG nights in Sweden, from the time your a kid, probably didn't help his drinking/drug issues but what a freakin' shame. As talented as they come in the biz.

"With that comes pressure too. Look up what Avicii was earning and compare it to a jabroni like Aaron Judge."
So there's that much pressure playing prerecorded music?? Good thing he wasn't doing something like a doctor or fireman.

Who?

You trying to be young? :)

Yeah who? Isn't this a sports/football board? Ya give a couple of inches on a weather thread once in a while and now we're hearing about some obscure music crush?

Nope, no grudge. So long as you agree you don't know what you're talking about.

Demons come with lots of different faces. That's all I'm saying.

Agree, it's very sad.

Demons - not bad choices?

"With that comes pressure too. Look up what Avicii was earning and compare it to a jabroni like Aaron Judge."
So there's that much pressure playing prerecorded music?? Good thing he wasn't doing something like a doctor or fireman.

Sync beat. Push play. Don't do drugs or drink on the job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT