ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dodger Stadium

jaydogsmooth1

Senior
Jul 28, 2021
Heading over for the first time this Saturday vs. the Sox.
Flight lands at John Wayne in Irvine at 10:20am on Saturday

Check into hotel, leave by 11:30
Assuming traffic will be brutal, 45 minute ride north turns into 2 hours +

Any recco's while there (food, drink, seats, cool things at stadium, etc.)?
Would prefer to sit in the shade

Tailgating situation - nonexistent as Californian's aren't into that?
Also assume traffic leaving will be a nightmare, making post-game drinking a necessity

TIA!!

Reactions: dconifer
historic venue...no suggestions beyond the very obvious which you'll figure out yourself: Koufax and Robinson statues, and a Dodger dog.

I'll just offer good luck wishes. And yes, traffic will be horrific.

Awful stadium, horrendous parking situation, and the Dodgers are sure to give up a lot of runs.

Expect delays. There is a dive bar near there called the Douglas that is worth it for some craft beer. The area around it isn't great unless you are into hipster shite.

Take a photo of the section you park in so you can hopefully find your car when it's all said and done.

There will probably be some chunky Latina mommies with their juggs hanging out.

That's all I got.

Good luck.

I'll just offer good luck wishes. And yes, traffic will be horrific.

Awful stadium, horrendous parking situation, and the Dodgers are sure to give up a lot of runs.

Expect delays. There is a dive bar near there called the Douglas that is worth it for some craft beer. The area around it isn't great unless you are into hipster shite.

Take a photo of the section you park in so you can hopefully find your car when it's all said and done.

There will probably be some chunky Latina mommies with their juggs hanging out.

That's all I got.

Good luck.
Dive bar = up the hill in the stadium parking lot, or down the hill in the neighborhood? Walkable from the parking lot if down the hill?

Dive bar = up the hill in the stadium parking lot, or down the hill in the neighborhood? Walkable from the parking lot if down the hill?

It's walkable. Around a mile I'd say. There will be some hills but it's not too bad unless you are morbidly obese.

Been there twice, both summer of '06:

1) Night game 2nd Row behind 3B dugout - phenomenal seats, shit parking, DIRTY stadium, next-to-zero amenities BUT the Dodger Dog was pretty damn good

2) Day game, RF bleachers - under the mini-roof out there which helped, however....absolutely horrific experience. "Old" Yankee Stadium bleacher area blew this one away (IIRC I had to go to the LF bleacher bathrooms because the RF ones were closed. NO concessions open. Couldn't even get a bottle of water. Parking still sucked.

...but, again, that was 18 years ago!

Reading there's no tailgating permitted. Wondering if that's lip service or they'll come around and harass people for drinking in the lots?

Really? To each its own, it's my favorite of the 25 I have been to.
Absolutely. I'm actually driving to Pittsburgh on Friday to take my two sons to PNC Park. They asked if I could start taking them to stadiums every year like my dad used to take me. I can't wait to share this experience with them every summer.

Reactions: patk89
Absolutely. I'm actually driving to Pittsburgh on Friday to take my two sons to PNC Park. They asked if I could start taking them to stadiums every year like my dad used to take me. I can't wait to share this experience with them every summer.
Great park
Get the steak on a stone right across the street from the left - center field entrance, right near the ticket office / merch store

Retired numbers out in right center is cool, right near the river
Best backdrop with the Pittsburgh skyline and yellow bridges in all of baseball IMO

Enjoy!

Reactions: lakejj and patk89
I'd rank Dodger Stadium in my top 10.

I've attended MLB games at 34 different ballparks.

Atlanta
Turner Field

Baltimore
Memorial Stadium
Camden Yards

Boston
Fenway Park

Chicago (NL)
Wrigley Field

Chicago (AL)
Comiskey Park
Guaranteed Rate Field

Cleveland
Memorial Stadium
Progressive Field

Colorado
Coors Field

Detroit
Tiger Stadium

Houston
Minute Maid Park

Los Angeles/California (AL)
Angels Stadium of Anaheim

Los Angeles (NL)
Dodger Stadium

Miami/Florida
Joe Robbie Stadium

Milwaukee
Miller Park

Minnesota
Metrodome

New York (NL)
Shea Stadium
CitiField

New York (AL)
Yankee Stadium 1
Yankee Stadium 2
Yankee Stadium 3

Oakland
Oakland Coliseum

Philadelphia
Veterans Stadium
Citizen's Bank Ballpark

Pittsburgh
PNC Park

San Diego
Jack Murphy Stadium
Petco Park

San Francisco
AT&T Park

Seattle
Safeco Field

Tampa Bay
Tropicana Field

Texas
Globe Life Field

Washington
RFK Stadium
Nationals Park

I took a stadium tour of the old Busch Stadium in St. Louis when I was in town for the 2005 Final Four. I've also been to Chase Field in Arizona (for the RU/ASU Insight Bowl). However, I don't include these two stadiums on my list because I did not witness a MLB game at either of these ballparks.

Of the stadiums I've visited, I'd rate Petco, PNC, and AT&T (now Oracle) in my top 3. The worst: RFK Stadium, with Tropicana Field a close second. The Nationals played at RFK from 2005-2007 while their new ballpark was being constructed.

Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City ranks No. 1 among the stadiums I have yet to visit. I also have yet to see a game in these MLB cities: Cincinnati, Phoenix, St. Louis, Toronto.

I've been to Dodger Stadium a couple of times for night games, and it was great. Keep in mind, though, that the stadium is now over 60 years old, and could use renovation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT