ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Does anyone still have one use plastic grocery bags left?

I hate the new law. I forget to bring bags every time I go ito the grocery store. The paper straw law is also ridiculous. We even have moronic lawmakers trying to change the laws to make u pump our own gas. Gas stoves are next along with mandated EV's. Stay out of our lives stupid politicians!

Was wondering how long it would take for the anti regulation people to start whining on this so called non political site? Not long as usual.

try not to go to grocery store anymore. It’s either delivery, Grubhub or eat out. Very unfriendly to environment I have to say.

I get 6 or so new plastic bags every week when I go food shopping. Of course I live in PA so they're not restricted. And I either reuse or recycle them. Heck, I've used the same one as my gym bag three days a week for the last four months.

Reactions: czxqa
If I see one in the parking lot I pick it up, inspect it and if it passes my inspection I keep it lol.
damn, and I am embarrassed that I often get tempted to pick up a dime in the parking lot. If the bag also has an empty soda can- is that a homerun?

• Haha
Reactions: RUScrew85
I probably have over 500 Shop Rite bags left. The price they pay when cashiers were to slow or lazy to bag so I'd double bag or just pull several when they stick together as I bagged and helped move the line. When they run out, I'll buy them on Amazon also. Perfect size for the trash can I have if you stretch the handles, they slip right over the sides.

...Also, putting any environmental concerns aside, plastic isn't particularly good for humans. There are cancer and other health concerns. And plastic is made from petrochemicals for which the planet does not have an endless supply.

If there was some kind of pain involved, that'd be different. But there really isn't. It's just people whining about a tiny change in their lives. Nobody in the thread is saying "I cannot shop for food anymore", right? They're either doing what I did and using reusable bags, or they get the one-time plastic bags elsewhere and still use them.

No pain. Less plastic. A good law that, like all good laws, isn't going to solve everything all at once, but moves us in a good direction in small increments over time.
I get the Steam In Bag frozen vegetables from ShopRite. Microwave the unopened plastic bag, it expands to the size of a small pillow, then open and serve. Then throw away the plastic bag. I assume that the plastic being used isn't too bad for my health. The vegetables taste fresh and crisp out of the bag.

I get the Steam In Bag frozen vegetables from ShopRite. Microwave the unopened plastic bag, it expands to the size of a small pillow, then open and serve. Then throw away the plastic bag. I assume that the plastic being used isn't too bad for my health. The vegetables taste fresh and crisp out of the bag.
Microwaving a single bag of frozen peas and carrots won't kill you. The same goes for an x-ray at the dentist, using 70s-style tanning oil during a day at the beach or enjoying a stiff drink after a long day at work. Firearms are the only readily available consumer product with a statistically high potential for death with a single use (a limited number of other quasi-legal items, like fireworks, explosives and recreational drugs are also potentially dangerous, but to a much lesser extent as they are generally subject to far more stringent standards as to use and access). That said, there's no credible disagreement that regular x-rays, frequent enhanced sun exposure or excessive alcohol consumption are all statistically likely to shorten your life.

Research concerning the consumption of plastics, and the byproducts thereof, is less clear, in no small part, because plastics are now so pervasive in the environment, including within all living creatures, that it's challenging to even isolate and study their specific impact. That said, there's no debate that petroleum-based products are carcinogenic at a certain measure. They ultimately can cause cancer and kill you. So, again, will heating a single plastic bag of frozen peas and carrots kill you? No. But, what is less clear is the impact on repeated, long-term heating of such bags containing food that you ingest. What is even less clear is what happens when you combine such ingestion of plastic compounds with repeated exposure to other dangerous elements over a lifetime.

In our house, we often eat frozen vegetables. It's convenient and they taste as fresh as possible when what we want is out-of-season. But, for us, the fact that the veggies don't taste toxic doesn't mean that their packaging is safe. As preventative measures, we always wash fruits and vegetables (frozen or otherwise) and, if needed, heat them (steaming when possible) without ever using the presumptively carcinogenic packaging. If it turns out that we're wrong, and it's healthy to heat things in plastic, we'll have collectively wasted a few days of our lives needlessly obsessing over vegetables. But, if we're correct, we'll be excited that our kids, and their kids, got a few extra months or years on the planet. For us, it's an easy trade. But, that's just us. No judgment on those who disagree.

Bought two huge sack/bags about 30 years ago and we haven't used any other bags for food shopping since then. I do most of the food shooping and actually don't even use a cart most of the time - I just fill up the bag as I go, then empty it onto the conveyor belt, then fill it back up, bring it home and empty it out. It's just easier. I also don't use those produce bags.

Amazing that people still complain about this fake outrage. I bet you all shop at Costco and bag your groceries at your car. Or maybe Aldis that never provided bags.

Get a life pepole are being bombed by a meglo-manic and being threatened with nuclear weapons.

There is far less garbage now on the streets because of the ban.

Bought two huge sack/bags about 30 years ago and we haven't used any other bags for food shopping since then. I do most of the food shooping and actually don't even use a cart most of the time - I just fill up the bag as I go, then empty it onto the conveyor belt, then fill it back up, bring it home and empty it out. It's just easier. I also don't use those produce bags.
My wife got a set of bags that are made to be various sizes that match up with a cart. They have solid “arms” theta hold them up perfectly in the cart with the largest close to you and smallest at the front of the cart. It makes it so easy. Fill them as you shop- take out at register and fill again to leave. They store away inside each other and flat. So perfect to just keep in the trunk

Reactions: RU848789
More bacteria in those reusable bags than media reports. How often do you wash them? If you buy meat and poultry do you put those packs directly into the reusables or 1st put them in plastic bags still offered next to those aisles? Are those plastic bags any less harmful? Come on people "wakeup"

Reactions: goru1869
More bacteria in those reusable bags than media reports. How often do you wash them? If you buy meat and poultry do you put those packs directly into the reusables or 1st put them in plastic bags still offered next to those aisles? Are those plastic bags any less harmful? Come on people "wakeup"
Our meats get bagged before we put them in reusable bag and bags get at least an anti bacteria spay before using them again. Wife will also wipe them down

Reactions: RUfinally2008
The bacterial risks from reusable bags are significantly overstated. Since 97% of people don't wash their reusable bags and studies have shown non-zero levels of different kinds of bacteria on such bags, one would think that should translate into a tsunami of illnesses. It hasn't because the levels on the bags are low and the types of bacteria are usually harmless. Having said that, though, washing a bag if one sees visible liquid on it seems prudent as does bagging a few high risk foods, such as raw meats/seafood, if not already in leak proof containers (we buy the vacuum sealed chicken parts, since they keep fresh longer and don't leak); eggs are usually in a separate container to begin with.

Assuming one isn't leaving spilled raw meat/seafood juice in one's bag, the risks are pretty damn low and in that case, clearly reusable bags (especially like the one I use that has lasted 30+ years) are better for the environment than single use bags.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...study-finds-bacteria-in-reusable-grocery-bags

My wife got a set of bags that are made to be various sizes that match up with a cart. They have solid “arms” theta hold them up perfectly in the cart with the largest close to you and smallest at the front of the cart. It makes it so easy. Fill them as you shop- take out at register and fill again to leave. They store away inside each other and flat. So perfect to just keep in the trunk
Ours will "stand up" in a cart too, so if doing a big shop, like when our son and his GF were home with us during COVID and we had 4 to shop for, I'll put both in the cart and fill them up, but now with just my wife and me, 90% of the time I don't get enough to need the cart. These also have very strong handles that have lasted over 30 years.

Reactions: yesrutgers01

I wash & dry my bags 2x/month. Anything that has fish or meat in it gets washed the day that I bring the food home.

I've never washed any of my reusable bags. Not for years of use. I'm guessing most food store shelves have as much or more bacteria on them as anybody's shopping bags.

I guess if I suddenly stop posting, y'all can say "he should've worried about bacteria more". LOL

When I am going to buy ice cream and frozen lasagna and other frozen foods I bring my insulated grocery bag with ice packs in it and I put the frozen foods in it as I shop. Then take them out at the self help check out and put them back in the bag. I always think that someone will want to look in my bag because it clearly looks like there's something in it from the ice packs that I didn't check out. But nobody ever does look.

When I am going to buy ice cream and frozen lasagna and other frozen foods I bring my insulated grocery bag with ice packs in it and I put the frozen foods in it as I shop. Then take them out at the self help check out and put them back in the bag. I always think that someone will want to look in my bag because it clearly looks like there's something in it from the ice packs that I didn't check out. But nobody ever does look.
Why worry, just fill it up and walk out, do you live in Cali? 😁

The bacterial risks from reusable bags are significantly overstated. Since 97% of people don't wash their reusable bags and studies have shown non-zero levels of different kinds of bacteria on such bags, one would think that should translate into a tsunami of illnesses. It hasn't because the levels on the bags are low and the types of bacteria are usually harmless. Having said that, though, washing a bag if one sees visible liquid on it seems prudent as does bagging a few high risk foods, such as raw meats/seafood, if not already in leak proof containers (we buy the vacuum sealed chicken parts, since they keep fresh longer and don't leak); eggs are usually in a separate container to begin with.

Assuming one isn't leaving spilled raw meat/seafood juice in one's bag, the risks are pretty damn low and in that case, clearly reusable bags (especially like the one I use that has lasted 30+ years) are better for the environment than single use bags.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...study-finds-bacteria-in-reusable-grocery-bags

Do people know they still have to cook the food?

• Haha
Reactions: RU22 and Jm0513
Take you maybe 30 seconds, if you're a slow typist and reader, to do a web search on dumbest laws ever and figure out just how far off you are with that statement. Or skip the web search and just think about it for a half-second or two.

This is actually a law where the intended consequence works as designed (it reduces the use of plastic a little) and there are no problematic unintended consequences at all. All laws should be this dumb.
As usual you did not read my post. One single use grocery bag is saved and one single use hefty bag is purchased, filled and sent to the landfill. Lots of savings with that math - But to a virtual signaling clown like yourself math does not matter. But I am sure you feel good about yourself for fighting for the environment.

Lately I've been eating the generic brand of wax beans. I rip off the label and, I can't tell the difference...

Lately I've been eating the generic brand of wax beans. I rip off the label and, I can't tell the difference...

Almost everything that the Shoprite brand, Bowl & Basket, makes is equal to or superior than brand name stuff and at least half the price.

Reactions: RU22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT