ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Does anyone still have one use plastic grocery bags left?

I was way ahead of the curve in terms of brining my own bags to the supermaket, so this is non issue.

We don't even buy garbage bags, just use the any number of bags which food(and other stuff for that matter) already comes in. Like tortilla chip bags. Or even smaller like bread bags.

That's how cool I am.

Do people know they still have to cook the food?
I eat a ton of uncooked produce. I mostly hate cooked veggies, but like salads and fruit and nuts, so those things make up the majority of my diet these days.

Even without cooking, and without washing my food shopping bags, I've not had any digestive issues (at least none that I didn't have before I started using reusable bags). So I dunno, perhaps the bacterial concern is bit overblown.

OTOH, perhaps my fondness for sheep is due to a neurological disorder caused by food-bag bacterial infection. Stranger things have happened. 😀

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I was way ahead of the curve in terms of brining my own bags to the supermaket, so this is non issue.

We don't even buy garbage bags, just use the any number of bags which food(and other stuff for that matter) already comes in. Like tortilla chip bags. Or even smaller like bread bags.

That's how cool I am.
I use super-huge industrial weight plastic bags to discard the human remains from visitors who die suddenly from eating food I've transported home from the store in my unwashed reusable shopping bags.

I use super-huge industrial weight plastic bags to discard the human remains from visitors who die suddenly from eating food I've transported home from the store in my unwashed reusable shopping bags.
3 mil, 55 gal?

Do you chop them up first or just throw them in whole?

Reactions: mildone
As usual you did not read my post. One single use grocery bag is saved and one single use hefty bag is purchased, filled and sent to the landfill. Lots of savings with that math - But to a virtual signaling clown like yourself math does not matter. But I am sure you feel good about yourself for fighting for the environment.
You said "dumbest law ever", which was a laughably stupid thing to say. Stop deflecting and reinventing history and take responsibility for what you write. Own it like a grown-up.

And now you're doubling down on laughably stupid things to say by attacking virtuousness as if it's a bad thing. Because aggressively declaring yourself opposed to virtuousness is a really good look for you. 🤣

If I'm virtue-signalling (which I'm not, I haven't tried to tell anybody what they should do), then what are you doing? Evil-signalling? Should we call you Dr. Evil? Are you, in a mad fit of outrage, gonna cover the world in plastic unless we pay you one million billion dollars?

3 mil, 55 gal?

Do you chop them up first or just throw them in whole?
Depends on how big they are, of course. Gotta chop some up. I pay some neighborhood kids to do that, 'cause what're kids for, amirite? And it keeps them busy, keeps 'em out of trouble. Like sports.

Reusing > recycling.
Reducing>reusing>recycling: there has been no greater victory for Madison Avenue than convincing people that they need to drink bottled water. Tap water in the vast majority of locations is of similar quality (and many bottled water sources are from municipal water), is ridiculously better for the environment (essentially zero waste of fossil fuels and water in production of the bottles and transport) and far, far cheaper, yet people keep buying bottled water. It's insane, except perhaps for people on the go and even then using a reusable water bottle is way better for the environment and way cheaper for the consumer. Third world countries without clean, safe water is a different topic.

Even if one doesn't give a crap about the environment (like many on this board), most care about wasting money and bottled water is on the order of 1000-2000 times more expensive than tap water. So if a family drinks a case of 24 bottles per week at $10 per case (one can pay a bit less or a lot more), that's $1068 per year vs. less than $1 for that amount of tap water. Like I said, insane.

https://www.euronews.com/green/2021...the-environment-than-tap-water-say-scientists

https://drinkoptimum.com/the-true-cost-of-bottled-water/

You said "dumbest law ever", which was a laughably stupid thing to say. Stop deflecting and reinventing history and take responsibility for what you write. Own it like a grown-up.

And now you're doubling down on laughably stupid things to say by attacking virtuousness as if it's a bad thing. Because aggressively declaring yourself opposed to virtuousness is a really good look for you. 🤣

If I'm virtue-signalling (which I'm not, I haven't tried to tell anybody what they should do), then what are you doing? Evil-signalling? Should we call you Dr. Evil? Are you, in a mad fit of outrage, gonna cover the world in plastic unless we pay you one million billion dollars?
Actually, he's calling you a bot, since he said you're "virtual" signalling, not "virtue" signalling. But yes, he is posting laughably dumb things.

I eat a ton of uncooked produce. I mostly hate cooked veggies, but like salads and fruit and nuts, so those things make up the majority of my diet these days.

Even without cooking, and without washing my food shopping bags, I've not had any digestive issues (at least none that I didn't have before I started using reusable bags). So I dunno, perhaps the bacterial concern is bit overblown.

OTOH, perhaps my fondness for sheep is due to a neurological disorder caused by food-bag bacterial infection. Stranger things have happened. 😀
Same here - mostly raw veggies in salads and raw fruits and have never gotten sick from my groceries, as far as I know (I might get a viral stomach bug every 10-15 years and those are most likely from other humans, not my bags and have probably had food poisoning twice in my life (assuming that's bacterial it's usually violent and a much shorter duration than a viral case) and both times it happened within 3-4 hours after eating at a restaurant, where I recalled being a little worried about the food (J can confirm that one). As I posted above, the risks of bacterial infections from reusable bags (which I've been using for 30+ years) are way overblown by many media reports.

So…you’re saying it’s a silly justification for objecting to anything that reduces trash and pollution???

Next you’re gonna tell us the drill baby drill, windmills are dangerous crowd doesn’t actually care about the whales???

Reactions: fsg2
So…you’re saying it’s a silly justification for objecting to anything that reduces trash and pollution???

Next you’re gonna tell us the drill baby drill, windmills are dangerous crowd doesn’t actually care about the whales???
Surely their recently discovered love of sea mammals is real? 😲

I mean, okay, sure they discarded their recently discovered love of birds, and switched to whales, the minute the Audubon society pointed out vastly more birds are killed by petrochemical production than by windmills, which instantly deflated the original narrative.

And sure, they didn’t realize their love of whales back when oil spills and oil tankers were killing them. And fine, they don’t have any factual evidence whatsoever that whales are harmed by windmills. But, you know, anything's possible so we should have a dozen congressional investigations. And not as a means of furthering the factless narrative, noooooo. Congress never does that.

But seriously, who could possibly doubt the sincerity of their immense love of whales? Who would dare to think they might just be unpaid pawns regurgitating propaganda produced by the poor persecuted petrochemical industry?

Banish the very thought.

Full disclosure, much of my net worth has been funded by the petrochemical industry. So I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the aforementioned unpaid pawns for their continued efforts on my behalf. You guys rock! Or you frack rock. Or something, anyway. Y'all are fracking beautiful, is what I'm trying to say.

Reactions: Morrischiano
I still have some one use plastic bags left, they are easy to keep in a pocket when going shopping. I was wondering if anyone else still had some left from saving them up when they were legal, or if you used them all up.
No comments on why the OP is starting a thread about plastic grocery store bags at 3:00 am on a Saturday? Or that someone responded before 4:00 am?

No comments on why the OP is starting a thread about plastic grocery store bags at 3:00 am on a Saturday? Or that someone responded before 4:00 am?
Such middle-of-the-night posting is highly indicative of a certain lifestyle that shall go nameless, but the initials for which are H&B.

Reactions: Morrischiano
I just remember save the Trees, paper bags are no good, killing our forests. Plastic is the savoir of the trees and is better for the environment.
Typical green idiots.
Plastic and bags are ruining the environment paper is natural, biodegradable and good for the environment.
lets extrapolate to hydrocarbon fuels are bad for the environment Gasoline vehicles are bad for the environment.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
Wonder what that blank sentence above will have written in it in 30, 40 years or so...

I just remember save the Trees, paper bags are no good, killing our forests. Plastic is the savoir of the trees and is better for the environment.
Typical green idiots.
Plastic and bags are ruining the environment paper is natural, biodegradable and good for the environment.
lets extrapolate to hydrocarbon fuels are bad for the environment Gasoline vehicles are bad for the environment.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.
Wonder what that blank sentence above will have written in it in 30, 40 years or so...

It's almost as if the world changes over time.

Typical green idiots.
Yeah good points

It's almost as if the world changes over time.
Yep. Change is inevitable. People either get with the program or get left behind.

But history also shows us that humans HATE and fear change. All part of the human condition.

Typical green idiots.
Trillions of dollars on education and people just get dumber (counts as "change")

skg0Uwk.jpg

Trillions of dollars on education and people just get dumber (counts as "change")

skg0Uwk.jpg

Aren't you afraid to eat sea salt because of microplastics?

Chugging down polymers probably isn't great, but a whisper of consistency won't hurt you.

Aren't you afraid to eat sea salt because of microplastics?

Chugging down polymers probably isn't great, but a whisper of consistency won't hurt you.

I don't like plastic jugs, bottles and such due to estrogenic chemicals etc. But the hysteria about more plastics than plankton in the ocean is the typcal exaggeration.

I grew-up near the Hudson and always read how Indian Point was killing a billion fish every year. But I never saw a dead fish lol. Its a fact that US enemies pay for greem hysteria - get US to cripple itself and pay reparations to flunky countries while enemies build the stuff US used to. No secret its always the radicals and Marxists who push the green stuff the most. Since 1 in 7 American is on meds (vast majority women) they are pretty gullible. Its a great racket because the proponents never have to show progress. We have to commit suicide "NOW" so that 2090 might be ok

Hillary via Wikileaks:

“We were up against Russia pushing oligarchs and others to buy media. We were even up against phony environmental groups, and I’m a big environmentalist, but these were funded by the Russians to stand against any effort, ‘Oh that pipeline, that fracking, that whatever will be a problem for you,’ and a lot of the money supporting that message was coming from Russia,” Mrs. Clinton said in her remarks."

I don't like plastic jugs, bottles and such due to estrogenic chemicals etc. But the hysteria about more plastics than plankton in the ocean is the typcal exaggeration.

I grew-up near the Hudson and always read how Indian Point was killing a billion fish every year. But I never saw a dead fish lol. Its a fact that US enemies pay for greem hysteria - get US to cripple itself and pay reparations to flunky countries while enemies build the stuff US used to. No secret its always the radicals and Marxists who push the green stuff the most. Since 1 in 7 American is on meds (vast majority women) they are pretty gullible. Its a great racket because the proponents never have to show progress. We have to commit suicide "NOW" so that 2090 might be ok

Hillary via Wikileaks:

“We were up against Russia pushing oligarchs and others to buy media. We were even up against phony environmental groups, and I’m a big environmentalist, but these were funded by the Russians to stand against any effort, ‘Oh that pipeline, that fracking, that whatever will be a problem for you,’ and a lot of the money supporting that message was coming from Russia,” Mrs. Clinton said in her remarks."

But ...you also don't eat sea salt because of microplastics in the ocean. The post is still there.

So ....

But ...you also don't eat sea salt because of microplastics in the ocean. The post is still there.

So ....

Microplastics is one of the selling points for inland sea salts (N American) but I don't really worry about that considering all the other chemicals we are bathed in. I got rid of chemical laden soaps, pasta, veggies (the leafy stuff has the most junk). A lot of "sea salt" is just from evaporated salt water. I would rather get the old stuff from Utah mines for any other trace minerals in there.

They suck for picking up dog poop. At least half of them have some sort or tear, hole or rip in them. Plus- dog poop bags are pretty damn cheap.
Rule #1 Always double bag when picking up poop.

That said I have used this method for the last 25+ years with no issue

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Rule #1 Always double bag when picking up poop.

That said I have used this method for the last 25+ years with no issue
I just scoop it up with my hands and wash 'em when I get home. Inbetween, I try to not pick my nose or adjust a contact lens or anything.

Reactions: yessir321
I just scoop it up with my hands and wash 'em when I get home. Inbetween, I try to not pick my nose or adjust a contact lens or anything.
This reminds me of the time when we were 7-8 years old and convinced the younger neighbor that dog poop was chocolate and to take a bite…. He did

• Wow
Did the law get altered for restaurants? One of my local diners is using grocery-style plastic bags for takeout again. Perhaps they think the risk of the law being enforced is low.

I still have some one use plastic bags left, they are easy to keep in a pocket when going shopping. I was wondering if anyone else still had some left from saving them up when they were legal, or if you used them all up.
I purchased them on Amazon. I used them as car trash bags.

This is crazy. Who could have predicted this would have happened. Baffling!
Years back I went to a wedding and at the reception all the table gifts for the guests were a nice custom book of matches : with the inscription of the couple’s names and wedding date. “Jen and Joe Forever” 7/1/02 “
A nice little heart gave it a nice touch.
People started using the matches to light up cigarettes as this was before the bans on indoor smoking. The bride through a hissy fit that people were smoking and wanted a smoke free wedding.
This legislation reminds me of that wedding.

And Jen and Joe didn’t make it to forever

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT