ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Drawing on board expertise: Toms River for a retirement residence?

If you haven't noticed you must have your eyes closed. Im in Farmingdale and consider my days numbered.
I don’t venture past Home Depot in Howell very often and I never see them in there

Were in Farmingdale weekly for church and I’ve never one in town during our 12 years living there

The Orthodox that have moved into my neighborhood have been very nice. As I said earlier their kids are great.
Has nothing to do with nice vs not nice or good vs bad. The issue is that it's a very insular community that consolidates in areas, eventually takes control of local govs, and governs for their unique needs first and foremost.

What happened in Lakewood will soon happen in Jackson.

Has nothing to do with nice vs not nice or good vs bad. The issue is that it's a very insular community that consolidates in areas, eventually takes control of local govs, and governs for their unique needs first and foremost.

That does not make them "not exactly outstanding citizens" which is what I was responding to. I do not decide every individual within a group is the same.

You may be surprised but many of the Orthodox are leaving Lakewood because they want a different environment to live in also. They want the space between houses.

We also do not have Route 9 so that traffic problem will not be the same. Our county highway is a 4-lane road not a State highway 2 lane road.

50% of the land in Jackson is State Forest so the development cannot be the same as Lakewood.

They will have the most impact on schools, but Jackson residents have not passed a school budget in the 30 years I lived here. Cannot now blame the Orthodox because the budget does not pass.

I'm in Southern Howell. Yes, in certain areas they have and are renting to undesirables to get people out. My area off Kent has seen one, but that's it as a lot of its mostly farms. It's a lot of wetlands down this way being on the Metedeconk watershed. So, ripping every tree out and asphalting over every blade of grass like they want is a no go. My area is ARE2. So, they need at least 2 acres to build, they don't like that.

The town just bought most of Ford Rd.. As an Orthodox wanted to put in a school with dormitories and some warehouses right on the watershed. The town and DEP said no and after a long legal battle he sold to the town.
I'm in Northern Howell and they're trying to do the same things with warehouses near our development

Not good

Reactions: koleszar
Demographics are interesting. I remember living in Woodbridge Twp when the Indian population started to grow. A friend left South Brunswick because he felt the town was also seeing a significant influx of Indian families.

I believe Robbinsville over time will see similar growth in that population with the building of the Hindu temple.

Sections of Bergen County is now overwhelmingly Korean.

People have the right to live where they want and should not be condemned as a group but only on their individual actions.

The Orthodox that have moved into my neighborhood have been very nice. As I said earlier their kids are great.
Not saying they aren't
Stereotypes have a way of being true to a certain extent

I'm Italian
There's certain things people say about my ethnicity that aren't false
And certain things my people have done that aren't good

Same with them
Their reputation is well earned

And I'll be damned if they come into my neighborhood
When there's one, there's many

And it usually ends up bad - real bad, real quick
That happens, and Team Smooth is out in the blink of an eye

Demographics are interesting. I remember living in Woodbridge Twp when the Indian population started to grow. A friend left South Brunswick because he felt the town was also seeing a significant influx of Indian families.

I believe Robbinsville over time will see similar growth in that population with the building of the Hindu temple.

Sections of Bergen County is now overwhelmingly Korean.

People have the right to live where they want and should not be condemned as a group but only on their individual actions.
I agree Tom, but that group has a well-documented history of getting away with absolute nonsense while ruining things during the process

You know it, I know it, the whole damn board knows it

If you live at the southern shore most likely they’ll stay
A nice home in our family shore town/area would be a powerful draw for our daughter to stay local. LOL!

Last edited:
is your preference new jersey because of proximity to family?...I'm researching Lewes/Rehoboth area to retire in 5-7 years ...figure the NJ taxes will continue to go up...

is your preference new jersey because of proximity to family?...I'm researching Lewes/Rehoboth area to retire in 5-7 years ...figure the NJ taxes will continue to go up...
I know a ton of folks that moved/retired to DE so they remain close to NJ family. Not a bad option.

when teachers are leaving to find jobs out of state for less money, when people have lived there for their entire lives and are uprooting their young families to move away, you know it's getting bad. TR today is very different than the town I grew up in. MOST troubling, the baseball sucks now at the HS level!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bill Frank would be throwing tantrums today! lol

I agree Tom, but that group has a well-documented history of getting away with absolute nonsense while ruining things during the process

You know it, I know it, the whole damn board knows it
Maybe I'm naive living in essex county but whats the issue? Like what are these people doing? Can you give examples?

I know a ton of folks that moved/retired to DE so they remain close to NJ family. Not a bad option.
I live in MD currently and lewes and Rehoboth are absolutely amazing. Living close to there would certainly rival the nj barrier islands I would stay away from ocmd if your looking for a relaxed atmosphere during the summer. That is the more wild party town.

Yes, if family considerations are out then we would consider DE. Housing prices are moderate and property taxes are not bad. The traffic down in that area though is horrific. Rt1 is a nightmare during the summer.

This is a correct statement across the board

If you are really interested in this general area - South Seaside Park could be considered. But my advice would be to avoid Ocean County

Maybe I'm naive living in essex county but whats the issue? Like what are these people doing? Can you give examples?
Cliff Notes version is slowly but surely taking shit over for their own selfish needs and ruin everything good that has been built up, live off the government and have no intention of a assimiliating into what most of us would consider a normal and functioning society

Couple that with draining Resources left and right and claiming anybody that calls them out their nonsense is antisemitic via lawsuits, doxing and public smearing while they themselves are committing crimes left and right and you have them in a nutshell

Also generally rude as hell and look down upon anybody that’s not of their ilk, block busting, threats, and the like

What they done to Lakewood, once a thriving resort community visited by past presidents, is an absolute crime

If that sounds harsh, you damn right it is because that’s what they have a history of doing and their intention is to expand further and further out (brick, toms River, Jackson, Howell, and Burlington County) as prime examples

bingo was his name o

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Cliff Notes version is slowly but surely taking shit over for their own selfish needs and ruin everything good that has been built up, live off the government and have no intention of a assimiliating into what most of us would consider a normal and functioning society

Couple that with draining Resources left and right and claiming anybody that calls them out their nonsense is antisemitic via lawsuits, doxing and public smearing while they themselves are committing crimes left and right and you have them in a nutshell

Also generally rude as hell and look down upon anybody that’s not of their ilk, block busting, threats, and the like

What they done to Lakewood, once a thriving resort community visited by past presidents, is an absolute crime

If that sounds harsh, you damn right it is because that’s what they have a history of doing and their intention is to expand further and further out (brick, toms River, Jackson, Howell, and Burlington County) as prime examples
I was in Jackson and attended the meetings when they initially moved to town and submitted applications to build schools and synagogues in town. If you were at that meeting and heard what people said and then read about the emails local politicos sent each other (discovery made them public) it would be difficult to claim that those people calling them out were not antisemitic.

When I first moved to Jackson the people who lived here complained and made all the arguments about changes, we north Jersey people would make. I attended a meeting where people wanted a developer to donate land he owned that had approval for 1,700 homes to the town so they could not build. Just silly nonsense.

But the vitriol was different when the Orthodox moved here. There was a property around the corner from me that the owner submitted an application to build a church and there was not one complaint. It was recently sold to an Orthodox association and people think that is unfair

Reactions: S.W.A.I.N
I was in Jackson and attended the meetings when they initially moved to town and submitted applications to build schools and synagogues in town. If you were at that meeting and heard what people said and then read about the emails local politicos sent each other (discovery made them public) it would be difficult to claim that those people calling them out were not antisemitic.

When I first moved to Jackson the people who lived here complained and made all the arguments about changes, we north Jersey people would make. I attended a meeting where people wanted a developer to donate land he owned that had approval for 1,700 homes to the town so they could not build. Just silly nonsense.

But the vitriol was different when the Orthodox moved here. There was a property around the corner from me that the owner submitted an application to build a church and there was not one complaint. It was recently sold to an Orthodox association and people think that is unfair
It’s because they saw what happened in Lakewood and didn’t want the same thing to happen in Jackson

That place is ruined
Gone
Finished

Tell me any other group of people that do what they do

It’s because they saw what happened in Lakewood and didn’t want the same thing to happen in Jackson

That place is ruined
Gone
Finished

Hassidic population is also buying into eastern Union - linden, Rahway. And in middlesex like in Colonia.
Not Clark!

Tom - I think we are on a similar page.

This whole thread is pretty whacky. Naturally, people are wary of any group that wants to divert money from public education to private education and home schooling. Well...maybe not ANY group. But this group is scary.

Well...people are wary of any group that wants to game the system so tax dollars go to them while they pay minimal taxes. Except billionaires. Because they're smart.

Sarcasm aside, why is it OK for people to be comfortable showing open disdain for this small ethno-religious group? I'm not trying to be the language police but WTF. I know someone will have some lame response but HOW IS THIS EVEN AN ARGUMENT?

Tom - I think we are on a similar page.

This whole thread is pretty whacky. Naturally, people are wary of any group that wants to divert money from public education to private education and home schooling. Well...maybe not ANY group. But this group is scary.

Well...people are wary of any group that wants to game the system so tax dollars go to them while they pay minimal taxes. Except billionaires. Because they're smart.

Sarcasm aside, why is it OK for people to be comfortable showing open disdain for this small ethno-religious group? I'm not trying to be the language police but WTF. I know someone will have some lame response but HOW IS THIS EVEN AN ARGUMENT?
Get back to me when you live near Lakewood - they’ve literally ruined it

It’s plain as day how these guys act and get away with it

Frankly, it’s criminal

Call me an asshole
Call me politically incorrect
Hell, even call me insensitive

But don’t call me a inaccurate
Don’t call me misinformed
And certainly don’t call me a liar

That place is ruined
Gone
Finished

Have you been on Oak Tree Road in Iselin or in Ft Lee

Communities change to the needs and wants of the people who live there.

When did you move to Howell? Like Jackson the people who lived there 30 or 40 years ago think you and others like you destroyed their way of life.

The big difference while they are not happy with it their animosity never reaches the type we see with the Orthodox. Or in the 70’s in Iselin with the Indians or as I was told the Koreans in Ft Lee and Palisades Park.

Reactions: HPNJRUfan
Hassidic population is also buying into eastern Union - linden, Rahway. And in middlesex like in Colonia.
Not Clark!
Just an FYI. The Orthodox and Hassidic are not the same. The Orthodox generally are the purchasers of the properties and have a much higher income than the Hassidic.

The Orthodox have their own set of prejudices against the Hassidic.

It is comical to hear them. It's like watching Hotel Rowanda and think why do they hate each other I cannot even tell them apart.

Also Mahwah.

Absolutely, everyone knows what happened in Lakewood. It's not a secret.
That they changed the zoning and built in a way that the people who lived there wanted to build?

You do realize that to people who lived in Jackson and Howell up to 1990 the same thing happened to them. As it does in every town in NJ.

Will Jackson change as the demographics of the residents change of course. I am not sure that calls for the vilification of the people who move here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT