ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Drawing on board expertise: Toms River for a retirement residence?

He also doesn’t realize that the orthodox students can’t share busses. Separate bussing for girls and boys and further broken down by age. Creating a traffic nightmare with as many as 4 busses entering the same street at the same time. 2 busses for boys and 2 for girls pretty much going to the same location.
Agreed. The concerns and problems in these towns are real and pretty devastating to some residents.

So the kids can sit at the same dinner table and attend the same social gatherings but cant ride a bus together? Got it. I am all for religious freedom but I am all for doing the right thing for the better good of society. But I love how you don't respond to posts where your gaslighting is proven incorrect.
How many times do I have to say I am a heathen. That means I find it all to be nonsense.

But guess what I do not get to interpret the constitution. There are at least 6 justices that disagree with you and more likely 9.

I am willing to respond to any post you want. If you think I missed one give me the post number and I will reply.

As to gas lighting whatever that is in your mind. No, I just disagree with your views and have clearly stated mine without whining and calling any of you names. Seems you guys cannot do that.

So you're equating an over building over expansion and overpopulation issue to a bussing problem now? Got it. Your mental gymnastics and gaslighting in this thread is unreal.
I was asked a question about school budgets and answered it. One was not in reference to the other.

You seem desperate to make up stuff.

I was asked a question about school budgets and answered it. One was not in reference to the other.

Not making anything up. Have used articles and real not out of date data in most of my posts. I am a staunch supporter and defender of the constitution. But I have a problem when people “abuse” the constitution or one specific part of the constitution for their own agenda and gain. At the detriment of the greater good of a population or society.

I would love to introduce to 2 people that I know that have left this sect. Who will tell you that it the vaad is abusive and would be classified a criminal cartel if was anything outside of religious protection.

Last edited:

I replied to a stand alone statement you made post 310. You weren’t responding to or were not clear to be responding to a question.

Not making anything up. Have used articles and real not out of date data in most of my posts. I am a staunch supporter and defender of the constitution. But I have a problem when people “abuse” the constitution or one specific part of the constitution for their own agenda and gain. At the detriment of the greater good of a population or society.

I would love to introduce to 2 people that I know that have left this sect. Who will tell you that it the vaad is abusive and would be classified a criminal cartel if was anything outside of religious protection.
I meant make stuff up about me and my responses

Does it?

My wife told me years ago way prior to the Orthodox coming here that we are never moving. She loves her acre plus property and plans to die here.

I would have moved long ago. Having nothing to do with the Orthodox and everything to do with hating yard work.

Oh and if I did not sell fast enough my neighbor with my same house just went under contract for around $1 million in one day.
zillow has 1 house for sale over 950k in Jackson - and when you look at sold- anything over 1 mil is minimum 6k Sq Ft...Just saying

Here is the data I found with a cursory search.

In 1980 there were 190,800 Catholic students. In 2015 there were 83,000. That is still more than double what Lakewood had in 2015-see below.

The difference is the cost is carried by one town for one group and divided by 500 plus towns for the other.

Lakewood has more than 6,300 students registered in its public schools and another 30,000 mostly Orthodox Jewish students enrolled in the town's 130 private schools. Under state law, towns must fund buses for students attending private schools more than two miles from their houses.

In the upcoming school year, Lakewood expects to spend $27 million on busing alone, more than it spends on classroom instruction, according to the school budget.

Town leaders say Lakewood is severely underfunded by the state, which does not consider the busing of large numbers of private school students when calculating how much state aid the district receives. A permanent source of school funding for busing and special ed would ease many of the town's problems, said Rabbi Aaron Kotler, one of the leaders of the Orthodox Jewish community.
So here is post 310 what is it that I did not reply to?

I acknowledged that it was a cursory check done while I was doing other work.

Not sure what I wrote is so out of line. The Orthodox have a greater impact on busing costs to one town than Catholics do but for many years the overall cost of paying for Catholic busing was more than that of the Orthodox statewide.

Is that in dispute?

zillow has 1 house for sale over 950k in Jackson - and when you look at sold- anything over 1 mil is minimum 6k Sq Ft...Just saying
They listed for $900 something and just posted a sign that said under contract. I said near $1 million.

I will go demand Anthony tell me the price because I am posting on a website.

So here is post 310 what is it that I did not reply to?

I acknowledged that it was a cursory check done while I was doing other work.

Not sure what I wrote is so out of line. The Orthodox have a greater impact on busing costs to one town than Catholics do but for many years the overall cost of paying for Catholic busing was more than that of the Orthodox statewide.

Is that in dispute?
You said it was in response to only bussing. When you are not responding to any particular question. It’s a standalone statement. Disregarding the real issue that I replied. Again this is going nowhere. Everyone else is wrong and you will continue to live in your glorious bubble in Jackson.

You have your opinion I have mine. Feel free to express yours but why get upset if someone else expresses theirs?

I am not upset you and others feel the way you do. I just disagree with it.

You have your opinion I have mine. Feel free to express yours but why get upset if someone else expresses theirs?

I am not upset you and others feel the way you do. I just disagree with it.
Not upset. And I am not discounting your opinion. Feel it odd that you dismiss others more so than others have dismissed yours.

Have a great night!

Not upset. And I am not discounting your opinion. Feel it odd that you dismiss others more so than others have dismissed yours.

Have a great night!
See I don't think I am dismissing your opinions any more than you are dismissing mine.

Let's put it this way clearly the preponderance of the people on this web site who never attended the meetings in Jackson or read the documents that were submitted in discovery believe I am wrong.

On the other hand, the Trump Justice department, the Biden Justice department, the State attorney and the lawyers representing the township of Jackson agree with me.

And the ultra liberal Dennis and Judi

Make of that what you will.

Last edited:
See I don't think I am dismissing your opinions any more than you are dismissing mine.

Let's put it this way clearly the preponderance of the people on this web site who never attended the meetings in Jackson or read the documents that were submitted in discovery believe I am wrong.

On the other hand, the Trump Justice department, the Biden Justice department, the State attorney and the lawyers representing the township of Jackson agree with me.

And the ultra liberal Dennis and Judi

Make of that what you will.
You do know Judi is an Orthodox Jew? And her children reside in Lakewood. Not the best use of experts. She is rather biased when it comes to anything related to Deal/Ling Branch where she lives and Lakewood where her children live and own businesses.

Reactions: biker7766
They listed for $900 something and just posted a sign that said under contract. I said near $1 million.

I will go demand Anthony tell me the price because I am posting on a website.
it is why I searched for 950...just dropped it to anything over 800 for sale or sold...now, there are some good options.

it is why I searched for 950...just dropped it to anything over 800 for sale or sold...now, there are some good options.
Well since I think no one should pay a million dollars for a home in Jackson there should not be many listed.

So looking to retire close to but not on the beach. Familiar with OC and that area but it has gotten so expensive even inland. I fish quite a bit at IBSP and Corson’s Inlet. I noticed that Toms River has more than a few really nice recently flipped houses minutes from the island. What are the boards thoughts about property in that area. The taxes are lower than Somers Point and the area. Any of you live there or have any experience with the town?
So after 9 pages of inputs containing a political discourse about the issues/benefits of Jewish Orthodoxy, property rights, 1st amendment freedom of religion, and supreme court jurist prudence, it looks like the answer is a No as a retirement destination. Thanks for the feedback.

The funny thing is that I told my wife I would ask the question and I would get multiple pages of responses. The board did not disappoint!

The irony here as Tom mentions is that this religious community is using a very conservative bunch of laws to achieve their goals. And they have certainly been voting accordingly.

The reddest town in NJ in 2020 was Lakewood. And Deal was not far behind. OTOH, Livingston, Cherry Hill and other towns we would associate with very secular folks had very much opposite results.

I will always stick up for two things. One, the choice of people to live where they wish. And two, law and order. That these people are using the laws in ways many people don't like has an obvious solution- CHANGE THE LAW! But there is reticence IMO because those laws would be evenly applied.

For example, NJ mandates busing for all private schools beyond a certain distance. Lakewood uses that to have gender segregated busing on our tax dollars, which IMO is plainly outrageous use of tax dollars. But it's no more outrageous than my tax dollars paying for Biff from Rumson to get to the Ranney school or anyone going to a parochial school. But my gut is that many, though not all, in this thread would take umbrage if that law went bye bye.
That only works for a certain distance…too far and you’re on your own.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
He doesn’t know that the Deal sect started in Bradley before they branched out into Deal. Friendly with the Lowy family that used to move the families from Brooklyn to Bradley in the summer before they were able to secure larger properties in Deal.
Different group.

Bradley group now closer to the Lakewood type.

Maybe it was different way back when like what your describing.

Different group.

Bradley group now closer to the Lakewood type.

Maybe it was different way back when like what your describing.
I know who you’re talking about now. Yea they are different but have been around for a long time. They had an outpost for a little bit in Belmar.

I know who you’re talking about now. Yea they are different but have been around for a long time. They had an outpost for a little bit in Belmar.
And those guys and the Bradley folks there now wouldn’t end up with a 9 page (so far) thread on them.

It’s an interesting thing. 🤷‍♂️

So after 9 pages of inputs containing a political discourse about the issues/benefits of Jewish Orthodoxy, property rights, 1st amendment freedom of religion, and supreme court jurist prudence, it looks like the answer is a No as a retirement destination. Thanks for the feedback.

The funny thing is that I told my wife I would ask the question and I would get multiple pages of responses. The board did not disappoint!
The next 8 pages still discussing it will be even better

You do know Judi is an Orthodox Jew? And her children reside in Lakewood. Not the best use of experts. She is rather biased when it comes to anything related to Deal/Ling Branch where she lives and Lakewood where her children live and own businesses.
We can edit her out.

I have Jewish relatives on parent's side.
I've been somewhat disappointed to see how corrupt and crazy many Orthodox Jews can be .
There is a large community of them in Rockland County - they fight often.
One guy set another family's house on fire because he didn't like their prayer practices.
If an outside girl stops for gas in July and is wearing shorts the official "community standards" gang goes after her.
Its like something the Taliban might do.

Then there is the welfare fraud - more people are on welfare in the orthodox areas than anywhere else in the country.
They have all sorts of issues with law and corruption - FBI has gone after them.

I was at a "Iran Deal" protest in Manhattan that was mostly Jews concerned about Israel.
There was a very large crowd and in the middle of George Pataki speech 6 Hassidic men run down street with banner dissing Israel for being too secular. They don't mind the gov checks .

I believe they dont marry in a way the state considers "official" so they get all sorts of "single parent" checks.
Contrary to popular belief Hasidim dont trace back 1000s of years but go back to 1800s.
I consider them a cult.
I also consider them amateur lawyer who know how to play the "depends what 'is' is" game

Mortgage, welfare fraud bust in Brooklyn, Orange and Rockland county Orthodox communities

Raids in New Jersey town target ultra-Orthodox Jews accused of welfare fraud. ‘What is going on here?’

Ortodox residents claim rabbi is running illegal yeshiva and boarding house in NY homes

Seven Rockland Residents Sentenced In $14M Yeshiva Fraud Scheme

In a NY town, increasing Haredi influence turns a school board into a battleground​

In Hasidic Enclaves, Failing Private Schools Flush With Public Money

Hasidic School to Pay $8 Million After Admitting to Widespread Fraud

The Central United Talmudical Academy, which operates the largest all-boys yeshiva in New York State, acknowledged illegally diverting money from federal food aid and other programs.

FBI makes arrests in sweeping mortgage, welfare fraud case

I have Jewish relatives on parent's side.
I've been somewhat disappointed to see how corrupt and crazy many Orthodox Jews can be .
There is a large community of them in Rockland County - they fight often.
One guy set another family's house on fire because he didn't like their prayer practices.
If an outside girl stops for gas in July and is wearing shorts the official "community standards" gang goes after her.
Its like something the Taliban might do.

Then there is the welfare fraud - more people are on welfare in the orthodox areas than anywhere else in the country.
They have all sorts of issues with law and corruption - FBI has gone after them.

I was at a "Iran Deal" protest in Manhattan that was mostly Jews concerned about Israel.
There was a very large crowd and in the middle of George Pataki speech 6 Hassidic men run down street with banner dissing Israel for being too secular. They don't mind the gov checks .

I believe they dont marry in a way the state considers "official" so they get all sorts of "single parent" checks.
Contrary to popular belief Hasidim dont trace back 1000s of years but go back to 1800s.
I consider them a cult.
I also consider them amateur lawyer who know how to play the "depends what 'is' is" game

Mortgage, welfare fraud bust in Brooklyn, Orange and Rockland county Orthodox communities

Raids in New Jersey town target ultra-Orthodox Jews accused of welfare fraud. ‘What is going on here?’

Ortodox residents claim rabbi is running illegal yeshiva and boarding house in NY homes

Seven Rockland Residents Sentenced In $14M Yeshiva Fraud Scheme

In a NY town, increasing Haredi influence turns a school board into a battleground​

In Hasidic Enclaves, Failing Private Schools Flush With Public Money

Hasidic School to Pay $8 Million After Admitting to Widespread Fraud

The Central United Talmudical Academy, which operates the largest all-boys yeshiva in New York State, acknowledged illegally diverting money from federal food aid and other programs.

FBI makes arrests in sweeping mortgage, welfare fraud case
Shhhhh. You’re not allowed to point this out.

Well since I think no one should pay a million dollars for a home in Jackson there should not be many listed.
YOU just said your neighbor got nearly 1 mil after just putting a sign up- I think it was pretty damn quick too. You are talking Jackson, correct? Is your street full of 5000 Sq Ft homes on an acre plus?
Or, did you just make up the story?
I am all happy for you that you have a beautiful 6000 sq ft home (or your neighbor does), That is not my point as you may very well have a nice home. And deserve it-
But you made a statement- and I pointed out how few homes over 900k have sold or are for sale. So- you must be in one of the very upscale neighborhoods- and if you are- you may be the only person on the block, not concerned.

But, I actually think- you are either a guy that is 80'ish or maybe 90's depending on if 44 is birth or HS graduation...And you have a bit of computer dementia...you cant remember what you said

I just think- and I curse myself ever damn ass time I respond, that you are just trying to argue for the point of arguing...I am going to block now and think the thread should just be locked at this point.

A couple years ago I went to my hometown and saw a historic building having brick features chipped-off. I found out a couple of the Rockland guys bought that building and one other. I just knew it would be a scandal.

Sure enough they abandoned the two projects when the grant money was gone. One is now 185k behind in taxes - the other I'm not sure about but I know they use fake names for revolving s-corps made to seem independent. When people complain/investigate owners play the persecution card.

I love B@H photo and some other very ethical businesses run by Hasidic owners. There is a group though that are like Gypsies in Philly or like Scottish Travelers. Running cons/scams is just the way they know best.

We? With that comment it comfirms your whole intent in this thread.
Actually I only found that video trying to check for block busting in Jackson.

I could have easily just left that the Department of Justice under 2 administrations, the State AG and the defendants own attorneys agree with me.

But you run with whatever preconceived ideas you have.

You can point out anything you want.

That does not mean anyone else has to apply that to an entire class of people in every situation that exists. You can do as you wish and see people or groups of those people any way you want.

You can point out anything you want.

That does not mean anyone else has to apply that to an entire class of people in every situation that exists. You can do as you wish and see people or groups of those people any way you want.
The thing is I am not saying the whole sect or “class of people” is guilty. I and many others have pointed out the mechanism they use to game the system. You are denying that any of this exists. That is the issue.

Reactions: motorb54 and Kbee3
My Mom will be 91 this month.

The group in Bradley Beach has been there since she was college age. Probably even before that.

So I’m not sure what you mean by the bold?

Spillover from demographic change in Asbury. Much like Hoboken did into JC, Weehawken...basically all of Hudson.

I'd think it would depend on the amount each school was getting
Certainly single digit passing of English is terrible
Vis a vis Catholic school I'd assume it's in the 90 % range

In some cases, not all. That's the thing. If we change the laws, they have to apply to everyone. I am on board with that, not sure everyone is though.

Spillover from demographic change in Asbury. Much like Hoboken did into JC, Weehawken...basically all of Hudson.
What demographic, gay?

There is only so much room along the beach. Sooner or later they all change. Almost always for the better too.

Not at all.

I would say trying to keep one group out is very different than being an outside group looking to move in. Even if the tactic is similar. Certainly there are plenty of people who are not Hasidic even in Lakewood. This is very different than blockbusting which was dealing with places that were 100% white.

BTW- my comment on Bradley was people moving from Asbury, not Deal.

What demographic, gay?

There is only so much room along the beach. Sooner or later they all change. Almost always for the better too.

That and younger folks generally.

I agree the change is for the better but again it's in the eye of the beholder.

I am sure that where I live, many Italian, Puerto Rican, Polish and Filipino elderly folks were elated to take a million bucks for property they bought for under 100k and sell it to hipsters- some who shared their ethnic backgrounds- and go back to the old country and live like kings. Or maybe just to Florida lol. But, I am sure some feel like the influx of newcomers has changed their neighborhood for the worse, certainly in terms of parking or cost of living.

The one constant is change. Thankfully in this country we have the choice of choosing where we live.

That and younger folks generally.

I agree the change is for the better but again it's in the eye of the beholder.

I am sure that where I live, many Italian, Puerto Rican, Polish and Filipino elderly folks were elated to take a million bucks for property they bought for under 100k and sell it to hipsters- some who shared their ethnic backgrounds- and go back to the old country and live like kings. Or maybe just to Florida lol. But, I am sure some feel like the influx of newcomers has changed their neighborhood for the worse, certainly in terms of parking or cost of living.

The one constant is change. Thankfully in this country we have the choice of choosing where we live.
That you can afford.

The newcomers I was talking about aren’t riding around in Subarus trying to get your catalytic converter.

• Haha
Reactions: NotInRHouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT