ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Driving from Cherry Hill to Morristown

retired711

Heisman Winner
Nov 20, 2001
Cherry Hill
First, I apologize for posting an OT during football season.

We need to drive to Morristown. Google gives us several options: for instance, take the Turnpike to exit 9, then take River Road to 287 North. I've done that drive, and dislike it. I prefer routes that involve relatively few changes of road and that keep me off surface streets as much as possible. Would it be totally unreasonable for me to instead drive further up to exit 11, then get on 287 there until exit 35? Thanks, and apologies again.

Curious…why dislike Rt18 to River Road (‘surface streets’)? It’s only a few miles and I bet most times of day it would be less congested than 287 around the NJT exit10 area.

Reactions: Joey Bacala
Curious…why dislike Rt18 to River Road (‘surface streets’)? It’s only a few miles and I bet most times of day it would be less congested than 287 around the NJT exit10 area.
River Road seems to have an exceptional number of bad drivers, perhaps because part of the trip is through a fairly residential area. And even after the recent rebuild, I find Route 18 nerve-wracking.

Reactions: ldwnmas
Yes, I got the number wrong. Thanks for your comment!
Just a note, depending on time of day (rush hours are bad), the stretch of 287 between the Garden State Parkway and Edison area can be very congested.

BTW, when I ran Google Maps, it took Easton Ave, not River Rd, but that may not be much of an improvement over River Rd.

Reactions: retired711
First, I apologize for posting an OT during football season.

We need to drive to Morristown. Google gives us several options: for instance, take the Turnpike to exit 9, then take River Road to 287 North. I've done that drive, and dislike it. I prefer routes that involve relatively few changes of road and that keep me off surface streets as much as possible. Would it be totally unreasonable for me to instead drive further up to exit 11, then get on 287 there until exit 35? Thanks, and apologies again.
I've driven from Lawrenceville to Morristown and prefer this route

From Cherry Hill
- I295N
-31 N (Pennington Exit)
-202N (Drive through Flemington, Raritan, etc)
-287 N

You can build your route in google maps and it shows you the time. You should only be doing the route you're comfortable with. Based on your handle, time should not be in the equation. Don't over think it.

You can build your route in google maps and it shows you the time. You should only be doing the route you're comfortable with. Based on your handle, time should not be in the equation. Don't over think it.
How can I build my route? as you suggest? I wish I knew how to do that. The GPS gives me the quickest route, and often it is so complicated that I would prefer something else. This is an issue for me in driving in South Jersey, not just long distances.

Access Google maps via your computer, not your phone. I think you get the primary option in blue and 2 other routes in gray. Click on a gray route to make it the primary option.

You can also drag the route to what you want. Not sure how to explain how to do it.

I've driven from Lawrenceville to Morristown and prefer this route

From Cherry Hill
- I295N
-31 N (Pennington Exit)
-202N (Drive through Flemington, Raritan, etc)
-287 N
Thanks! My wife lived in Flemington when I was "courting" her (you can tell how old I am from using that word!) so we know that route well. From Cherry Hill, it is 75 minutes to Flemington, and I think it is another 40 minutes to Morristown, so it's about two hours. The route works OK when it's not rush hour. Th biggest problem is that (and I'm sure you know this) 202 becomes increasingly hard to cope with (even outside rush hour) as one goes north. But we may use it anyway because of familiarity. I am hoping that maybe the Turnpike/287 route takes less time without much more hassle.

Access Google maps via your computer, not your phone. I think you get the primary option in blue and 2 other routes in gray. Click on a gray route to make it the primary option.

You can also drag the route to what you want. Not sure how to explain how to do it.
I know how to do the first; I'll work on learning how to do the second. Thanks!

I know how to do the first; I'll work on learning how to do the second. Thanks!
If you can get that part to work, if you are signed into Google and have an Android phone, you should have an option to send that adjusted route to your phone.

If that does not work, or if you have an iPhone, you can email the adjusted route to yourself I do this quite a bit with hiking and mountain biking routes in Arizona and it works very well.

Thanks! My wife lived in Flemington when I was "courting" her (you can tell how old I am from using that word!) so we know that route well. From Cherry Hill, it is 75 minutes to Flemington, and I think it is another 40 minutes to Morristown, so it's about two hours. The route works OK when it's not rush hour. Th biggest problem is that (and I'm sure you know this) 202 becomes increasingly hard to cope with (even outside rush hour) as one goes north. But we may use it anyway because of familiarity. I am hoping that maybe the Turnpike/287 route takes less time without much more hassle.
One last option to consider is
NJ Turnpike North to
I78 West (Exit 14 I78/Newark Airport)
24 West to Morristown (pass Short Hills Mall)

Reactions: rutcor
I drove red bank to denville(5 mi n of Morristown) for five years.
Yes take turnpike to exit 10 jump on 287n from there.

Reactions: kupuna133
My personal experience has been Route 24 has always been a traffic jam and bottleneck. It has been a year or so since driving this route, but I would avoid.
If you leave during rush hour, you’re going to run into a bottleneck no matter which route you take. I287 can be a parking lot at times. Off peak, Turnpike to I78 to 24 might be the most efficient route.

If you leave during rush hour, you’re going to run into a bottleneck no matter which route you take. I287 can be a parking lot at times. Off peak, Turnpike to I78 to 24 might be the most efficient route.
Of course, but my experience has been 24 seems to be a bottleneck outside rush hour. I will add that this is usually in the East bound direction , and this would affect the reverse trip.

I drove red bank to denville(5 mi n of Morristown) for five years.
Yes take turnpike to exit 10 jump on 287n from there.
Agree with this. Stay away from 24. 287 is not ideal but outside of that disaster in the Edison south Plainfield area it moves. 24 you never know where the traffic will pop up.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Of course, but my experience has been 24 seems to be a bottleneck outside rush hour. I will add that this is usually in the East bound direction , and this would affect the reverse trip.
OP would be headed Westbound when he drives to Morristown, so it shouldn’t be too bad. But I’ve Never taken it during the week. Always on weekends to go to Short Hills Mall, which is great.

I287 feels so long when you take it from Exit 10, as I’ve done it many times.

Turnpike to 78 to 24 works best for me.

OP would be headed Westbound when he drives to Morristown, so it shouldn’t be too bad. But I’ve Never taken it during the week. Always on weekends to go to Short Hills Mall, which is great.

I287 feels so long when you take it from Exit 10, as I’ve done it many times.

Turnpike to 78 to 24 works best for me.
Agreed, but he has to go back to South Jersey eventually. But to answer his question, you are correct, he only asked for one way directions!

Ok I changed my mind.
He should take I-295 to Rt. 206 in Bordentown, then take 206 north to Hillsborough, where he should stop at the deli to see what the milfs are saying about Rutgers football prospects, then continue on 206 to I-287 in Bridgewater.

Ok I changed my mind.
He should take I-295 to Rt. 206 in Bordentown, then take 206 north to Hillsborough, where he should stop at the deli to see what the milfs are saying about Rutgers football prospects, then continue on 206 to I-287 in Bridgewater.
No stop off for a pork roll, egg and cheese in Trenton? Is it Taylor Ham or Pork Roll in Hillsborough and Morristown?

No stop off for a pork roll, egg and cheese in Trenton? Is it Taylor Ham or Pork Roll in Hillsborough and Morristown?
Hillsborough is solidly on the pork roll/Taylor ham line. so if depends on person/place. Most milfs at the deli tend to go pork roll. But Morristown is solidly Taylor ham.

Gladstone Corner Deli, right off 206

a REALLY good taylor ham , egg, cheese

If you use the Waze app it will tell you in real time if River Rd is faster, or Route 24 for that matter.

Reactions: TRU2RU
This is an example of Google Maps using its new “fuel saving” algorithm rather than the fastest route.
You can disable that setting on your profile.

The simplest and fastest route is NJTP to exit 10 (I-287). Then I-287 to Morristown.
How do I disable that setting? Thanks!!

I always assumed Google was giving the fastest route -- interesting that it's not. I would think that the Turnpike/287 route would save fuel because it's almost all expressway driving.

What I really want is a "fewest turns" setting, but probably that doesn't exist.

Reactions: Plum Street

I always assumed Google was giving the fastest route -- interesting that it's not. I would think that the Turnpike/287 route would save fuel because it's almost all expressway driving.

What I really want is a "fewest turns" setting, but probably that doesn't exist.
I have an iphone, I dont know if its the same on android...

open Google maps app, on the screen where you set the starting and ending point of a trip, there is a "..." icon to the right of the starting point.
that brings up a menu - select "options".
Turn off / disable "Prefer fuel-efficient routes"

Serious question. How did you go the last 2 times you asked for the same directions?

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Serious question. How did you go the last 2 times you asked for the same directions?
I totally forgot I've asked before! I am sure I used the route through Flemington that @rutgersal mentioned because I'm familiar with traveling to Flemington. But I keep hoping there's a better route because the Flemington route takes two hours.

I totally forgot I've asked before! I am sure I used the route through Flemington that @rutgersal mentioned because I'm familiar with traveling to Flemington. But I keep hoping there's a better route because the Flemington route takes two hours.
Not an easy destination from your location. You have options as stated above. Most direct I would think would be turnpike to 287. Most scenic/rural would be the way you have travelled in the past.

Brother lives in Denville. I have tried numerous ways to get there and the least favorite is the 78-24 routing. I don't mind the rt. 18-287 but that is dependent on time of day.

One thing is I do not fight Waze (any more) when it comes to fastest route. If Waze says it is the fastest route and that is your priority, do not fight the algo.

River Road seems to have an exceptional number of bad drivers, perhaps because part of the trip is through a fairly residential area. And even after the recent rebuild, I find Route 18 nerve-wracking.

It all depends on when you are driving. I'm on River Road/Hoes Lane/Easton Ave at least several times per week. As I work along Rt. 1 and my son attends RU (I end up dropping off stuff to him once in a while).

During Rush Hour - your best bet is likely the NJ Turnpike North to Exit 9 (Rt. 18 North), to Hoes Lane to Rt. 287 North to Morristown exits. Note that River Road is generally backed up in Piscataway around Centennial Ave near the 287 intersection due to Bridge Constuction and lane merge. I would also not suggest Easton Ave. The exit off of 18 is always backed up during Rush Hour and if you choose to go through College Ave area - can be a nightmare if you catch it between class commute.

Non-Rush Hour - River Road is the way to go - tends to cut off a few minutes.

Note that during Rush Hour - I would NOT recommend alternate routes such as Rt. 31, Princeton Area Exits/Rt. 206 nor Rt. 1 North.

It all depends on when you are driving. I'm on River Road/Hoes Lane/Easton Ave at least several times per week. As I work along Rt. 1 and my son attends RU (I end up dropping off stuff to him once in a while).

During Rush Hour - your best bet is likely the NJ Turnpike North to Exit 9 (Rt. 18 North), to Hoes Lane to Rt. 287 North to Morristown exits. Note that River Road is generally backed up in Piscataway around Centennial Ave near the 287 intersection due to Bridge Constuction and lane merge. I would also not suggest Easton Ave. The exit off of 18 is always backed up during Rush Hour and if you choose to go through College Ave area - can be a nightmare if you catch it between class commute.

Non-Rush Hour - River Road is the way to go - tends to cut off a few minutes.

Note that during Rush Hour - I would NOT recommend alternate routes such as Rt. 31, Princeton Area Exits/Rt. 206 nor Rt. 1 North.
Thanks! FWIW, 31 has never been a big problem between 295 and 202. It just takes a long time to go that way.

If you use the Waze app it will tell you in real time if River Rd is faster, or Route 24 for that matter.
I've been told (on this site) that the problem with Waze is that it will have you go through many extra steps just to save a minute or two. Instead, I want simple routes even if they're not the fastest.

Reactions: Scarlet16E
I've been told (on this site) that the problem with Waze is that it will have you go through many extra steps just to save a minute or two. Instead, I want simple routes even if they're not the fastest.
FWIW, we stopped using Waze.

Funny story- once leaving Convention Hall in Atlantic City after a concert, Waze directed us through a very sketchy neighborhood. Not normally concerned with sketchy areas, but we were wondering if Waze thought we wanted to make a purchase on the way home. . . . .

FWIW, we stopped using Waze.

Funny story- once leaving Convention Hall in Atlantic City after a concert, Waze directed us through a very sketchy neighborhood. Not normally concerned with sketchy areas, but we were wondering if Waze thought we wanted to make a purchase on the way home. . . . .
The same kind of thing happens with other GPS services. I used to need directions to various places on Philly's main line. The routes invariably took me through West Philadelphia. Not all of West Philly is sketchy, but at best it's a depressing drive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT