ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Driving from Cherry Hill to Morristown

The same kind of thing happens with other GPS services. I used to need directions to various places on Philly's main line. The routes invariably took me through West Philadelphia. Not all of West Philly is sketchy, but at best it's a depressing drive.
One thing Waze will do more than other map applications is direct you to routes that have less traffic. I suspect that after the concert, Waze thought the side street would be faster than the main route West out of the city and to the Atlantic City Expressway. During the day, this should be fine. But after midnight, not good.

We use Google Maps almost exclusively now, but I have noticed that Google Maps does not do much to redirect us when we are stuck in traffic. Nothing is perfect.

I used to travel up Route 31 years ago when I lived near Trenton and had friends in NW NJ. I liked Route 31. But it is likely more crowded. Personally, I dislike Route 287, but that is my personal preference.

One thing Waze will do more than other map applications is direct you to routes that have less traffic. I suspect that after the concert, Waze thought the side street would be faster than the main route West out of the city and to the Atlantic City Expressway. During the day, this should be fine. But after midnight, not good.

We use Google Maps almost exclusively now, but I have noticed that Google Maps does not do much to redirect us when we are stuck in traffic. Nothing is perfect.

I used to travel up Route 31 years ago when I lived near Trenton and had friends in NW NJ. I liked Route 31. But it is likely more crowded. Personally, I dislike Route 287, but that is my personal preference.
My wife and I have taken Route 31 as far north as Clinton. The only thing I dislike is Flemington Circle where 202, 31, 12 and who knows what else merge together. We have never found Route 31 that crowded, even at rush hour. The bigger problem is tailgaters who want to go far faster than the speed limit on a two-lane road.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Third times the charm apparently!

This is a 90 minute drive and there are basically two routes maybe three. If you pick the wrong one on the wrong day it could cost you 15 minutes.

Other than “avoid 287 in Edison between 7:45 and 9:15”, there is no advice of any value. Actually, no one said that, so there is no advice of any value.

I would like to complain about this to my wife, but this is proof that anyone involved in this thread (commenting or even reading it) has way too much time on their hands.

This is a 90 minute drive and there are basically two routes maybe three. If you pick the wrong one on the wrong day it could cost you 15 minutes.

Other than “avoid 287 in Edison between 7:45 and 9:15”, there is no advice of any value. Actually, no one said that, so there is no advice of any value.

I would like to complain about this to my wife, but this is proof that anyone involved in this thread (commenting or even reading it) has way too much time on their hands.
I did say in an earlier post that 287 in Edison south Plainfield is an abomination. Outside of that area it moves well. And yea that was my thought when I saw this thread again. There are 3 maybe 4 routes that work.

This is why one has to check the route before going and while en route occasionally to see if the expected time gets worse due to traffic. In theory Google maps should reroute you if there is a shorter route, but that feature has been occasionally spotty, in my experience. And while 287N from the NJTPK at exit 10 through Edison and sometimes all the way through P'way (to the River Rd. exit) usually does suck during the morning rush hour, the same can often be true of 206N from Princeton to Somerville where one picks up 287 and for 24N from the GSP if going that way. It's why knowing when the OP is going is so important and it's why I'd never recommend going from Cherry Hill to Morristown outside of the hours from 10 am to 2 pm (unless we're talking about before 6 am or after 7 pm) , if one can choose.

One more thing most people don't think about: while a shorter route taking 206 to 287 may appear to be just as fast as a longer route taking the NJTPK to 287, Google Maps assumes one is going the speed limit and there is much more opportunity to "beat" that speed limit on the TPK vs. 206, so one can make up many minutes that way (if traffic isn't heavy). Since I've been playing a lot of disc golf all over NJ the past few years, I'm very often driving to and from places like Cherry Hill, Morristown, LBI, Clinton, etc. and while there are "default" ways to usually go, I never go without checking traffic before I go and during the trip, as I hate getting stuck in traffic - it's, by far, the biggest reason I own a smart phone, as it has revolutionized smart travel.

And I just learned my favorite new trick with Maps: using one finger to zoom in or out on a map instead of the 2-finger method: just double tap, holding after the 2nd tap, then move up to zoom out and down to zoom in.

Reactions: retired711
This is why one has to check the route before going and while en route occasionally to see if the expected time gets worse due to traffic. In theory Google maps should reroute you if there is a shorter route, but that feature has been occasionally spotty, in my experience. And while 287N from the NJTPK at exit 10 through Edison and sometimes all the way through P'way (to the River Rd. exit) usually does suck during the morning rush hour, the same can often be true of 206N from Princeton to Somerville where one picks up 287 and for 24N from the GSP if going that way. It's why knowing when the OP is going is so important and it's why I'd never recommend going from Cherry Hill to Morristown outside of the hours from 10 am to 2 pm (unless we're talking about before 6 am or after 7 pm) , if one can choose.

One more thing most people don't think about: while a shorter route taking 206 to 287 may appear to be just as fast as a longer route taking the NJTPK to 287, Google Maps assumes one is going the speed limit and there is much more opportunity to "beat" that speed limit on the TPK vs. 206, so one can make up many minutes that way (if traffic isn't heavy). Since I've been playing a lot of disc golf all over NJ the past few years, I'm very often driving to and from places like Cherry Hill, Morristown, LBI, Clinton, etc. and while there are "default" ways to usually go, I never go without checking traffic before I go and during the trip, as I hate getting stuck in traffic - it's, by far, the biggest reason I own a smart phone, as it has revolutionized smart travel.

And I just learned my favorite new trick with Maps: using one finger to zoom in or out on a map instead of the 2-finger method: just double tap, holding after the 2nd tap, then move up to zoom out and down to zoom in.
Thanks for the map zooming tip!

Reactions: RU848789
I've been told (on this site) that the problem with Waze is that it will have you go through many extra steps just to save a minute or two. Instead, I want simple routes even if they're not the fastest.

Extra steps being making a lot of turns? Maybe. But not fiddling with the app while you drive, which could be against the law.

Personally I like the back roads, you generally move faster and see new scenery. There isn't anywhere in NJ that I would really be afraid to drive through. There's maybe a few places in Camden and Newark I wouldn't want to stop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT