ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Dublin Ireland

I've been. Had an awesome time. The city is smaller than you probably expect. You can basically check out most things in a day or two, but that's ok because it leaves you tons of time to just chill, enjoy the people, and have some pints.

I did not check out the Jameson Distillery, but very very highly recommend the Guinness Storehouse.

I liked Jameson better. At the beginning of the tour they select a few people to do a comparative tasting of Johnny Black, Jack Daniels and Jameson when the tour is over. I found it to be more entertaining and I found it a bit weird that the Guiness tour made the guy out to be a god.

That being said, you can probably do both. The Guiness tour is self guided so you can go as fast or slow as you'd like, and the Sky bar at the end of the tour provides awesome views of the city.

I went to Dublin solo for a few days maybe 10 years ago.

Fun city to check out.

As others have said, you really can do both the Jameson Distillery and Guinness Tour, unless you are really, really strapped for time.

The Guinness tour was self guided but interesting. And as was mentioned, the sky bar at the end was pretty sweet. Obviously don't forget your camera! And the pint was sure enjoyable.

As for the Jameson Distillery, since I was alone and starting out a day of bar hopping with the tour, I volunteered at the beginning to be a "taste tester". Not sure if it's changed since I went. But basically at the end, they put down a placemat with I dunno, maybe 7 different kinds of whiskey unmarked (mini-shots). So you tasted them all and told them what you liked. Then they told you what brands they were and you got a bigger shot of the one you liked best. Also got a "diploma" with my name on it from the place. Haha, it was amusing, a good way to meet a coupla people and start a long day of drinking!

Long story short, I'd do both tours.

This post was edited on 3/13 12:52 PM by MulletCork

Originally posted by mesa4234:
I liked Jameson better. At the beginning of the tour they select a few people to do a comparative tasting of Johnny Black, Jack Daniels and Jameson when the tour is over. I found it to be more entertaining and I found it a bit weird that the Guiness tour made the guy out to be a god.

That being said, you can probably do both. The Guiness tour is self guided so you can go as fast or slow as you'd like, and the Sky bar at the end of the tour provides awesome views of the city.
..........why?

Wow those are some pretty bad whiskeys going up against a pretty good one in JW Black.

Went last summer, did both tours. Enjoyed both. The Gravity Bar is rooftop at Guiness and offers great views of Dublin. Suggest you take in both if you can.

I did neither and still had a great time .Asked for a little local knowledge and did several great pub crawls as far as I can remember.....

The better Jameson tour is actually in southern Ireland just east of Cork, I forget the town's name rightnow. Guinness tour is in Dublin. It is self guided. You get a small sample early on and work your way up to the 7th floor where you're given a pint, with the information about how to pour it properly....and you have a 360 degree view of Dublin.

The Jameson tour in the south is guided. At the end, they ask for 8 "volunteers" who get to taste compare A small bit of Jamesons with twoothers, one of which is Jack Daniels, I believe. You'll get a nice certificate as a taste tester...AND everybody on the tour gets a nice taste of Jamesons..about 2-3 fingers worth, wither straight up or with something added in. You can't go wrong either way.

Stay as close as you can to Trinity - lots of sites in walking distance - A tour of Trinity should not be missed, The tours are given by students and are reasonable an entertaining

Grafton Street usually has at least one good busker, at the end is St Stephan's Green, a nice place to catch a breath, have a picnic or meet some locals

Recommend the Abbey Theater - leave a bit early and swing by the GPO, the stiletto in the ghetto, and Garden of Rememberance

Best part of Guinness brewery tour is 360 view from sky-top lounge. Forget if you can buy extra pints. Guinness DOES taste better in Dublin and is more available than water

Keep an eye out in lunch pubs for Coddl. Guinness stew is also great. Food is much better that you might think. Everything is fresh, grass fed and local

Kind of touristy but highly entertaining is the Merry Ploughboy pub. There's a bus that will drop off/pick up. Johnny Foxes is similar.

When you see "trad" it is usually jigs and reels - ok for about an hour, but look for a place that more approachable music

If you're Irish, Kilmainham gaol is a must

Try to catch some GAA - hurling or football

Temple Bar is a zoo - fun, but a zoo, Coppers (Copper Face Jacks) is TB on steriods

As for whiskey, keep a lookout for Green Spot or Yellow Spot

This post was edited on 3/13 7:45 PM by JoeRU

After Dublin, hit the west coast. Dingle is a neat little village. Lots of pubs with music and set dancing by locals. The ring of Kerry is nice drive. Best of all: take a ferry to the Aran Islands and walk out to the ancient stone ruins of Inishmore.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

If your going to all over make sure you get to Kinsale in County Cork.

And if you (or anybody on here) get to Mayo stop by the family pub in Ballyhaunis...Curley's Bar

Ask for Ann or Pauline and tell them Kitty's grandson the NYC fireman sent you.

10462730_710900265624256_4097593416915839529_n.jpg

I'm actually waiting to board a plane to Dublin right now. I was there a few years ago and second the recommendation someone made a few posts back for Kilmainham Gaol.

Originally posted by theRU:
Anybody go?

Which is better if you can only do one... Jameson Distillery or Guiness Tour?
When in Dublin, I would go for the GUINESS Connoisseur Experience...well, well, WELL worth the extra bucks. (Make reservations online...go during the week...shoot for earliest time...as you might end up having the "private speak-easy type bar to just you and a few friends.

We did this for Uncle's Day (greatest holiday ever invented by women in our family) last August and it was an AWESOME experience.

https://www.guinness-storehouse.com/en/Connoisseur-Bar.aspx

images

Save Jameson experience for their original one in Kilkenny...and then also hit up the Smithwick's Experience in Kilkenny as well.

Dublin is fun...but get out of Dublin after a few days...so much to see/experience all over Ireland. (Small country, easy to get around).

This post was edited on 3/15 9:47 AM by Knight_Light

Originally posted by e5fdny:

If your going to all over make sure you get to Kinsale in County Cork.

And if you (or anybody on here) get to Mayo stop by the family pub in Ballyhaunis...Curley's Bar

Ask for Ann or Pauline and tell them Kitty's grandson the NYC fireman sent you.

10462730_710900265624256_4097593416915839529_n.jpg
On my first trip to Ireland...was fortunate to talk our way on to a tee time at Old Head...still think its the best course in the world...makes Pebble Beach (another course I love) look like putt-putt.

oldhead-golf-course01.jpg

i4EM5JS.jpg

Originally posted by JayRU09:

Originally posted by mesa4234:

..........why?

Wow those are some pretty bad whiskeys going up against a pretty good one in JW Black.
I don't quite understand that playing field, either. Although for my money, Jameson is more drinkable than JWB.

Admittedly, this opinion is driven in part by my natural disdain for all things Johnny Walker. They don't actually make anything - all they do is buy raw spirit from other Scotch distilleries, blend it and barrel it. Saying that Johnny Walker "makes great whiskey" is like saying Oasis Ford makes great cars.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT