ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

The 50% YOY growth was the only guidance Tesla gives. It’s a number they should be beat by 50% for the next few years. Now tell me what YAY stands for.

Definition of yay

—used to express joy, approval, or excitement

OR (Who knew?):

"YAY means Cocaine"

Reactions: jtung230

Definition of yay

—used to express joy, approval, or excitement

OR (Who knew?):

"YAY means Cocaine"
A friend tells me that, when referring to cocaine, it's often pronounced YAY-uh.

Reactions: Knight Shift
A friend tells me that, when referring to cocaine, it's often pronounced YAY-uh.
I always wondered WTF Tony Montana was saying in Scarface, and thought it was Spanish slang:

29be9f18f8edd44fb9771a1d254c529988b9e8c9.gifv

Reactions: Ty Webb
Latest version (10.69) of Tesla FSD Beta. Of all the updates, this one appears to be the biggest step change according to the testers. Lots of recent vids on YouTube. This is the famous "Chuck Cook unprotected left" that previous versions struggled mightily with. Elon mentioned this particular turn at the recent shareholders meeting.

I am not a beta tester, but I do watch the occasional YouTube vid to see how the latest version is doing. I would agree with the testers.... it's getting good:

Latest version (10.69) of Tesla FSD Beta. Of all the updates, this one appears to be the biggest step change according to the testers. Lots of recent vids on YouTube. This is the famous "Chuck Cook unprotected left" that previous versions struggled mightily with. Elon mentioned this particular turn at the recent shareholders meeting.

I am not a beta tester, but I do watch the occasional YouTube vid to see how the latest version is doing. I would agree with the testers.... it's getting good:

No it's not. It's a very dumb idea (not just Tesla's, but all of them). Tech for tech's sake. Can't wait till then ban Level 2.

Looks and sounds like a case of roid rage, not the car. 💪
Maybe. But more and more reports of people having weird accidents in their Level 2 "self-driving" cars (again, not just Tesla) are coming out.

I hate the idea that cars on the road with me are using it.

Maybe. But more and more reports of people having weird accidents in their Level 2 "self-driving" cars (again, not just Tesla) are coming out.

I hate the idea that cars on the road with me are using it.
I hate the lane keeping feature I had on my Ford Maverick that is also on our new Volvo. Slightest deviation in the lane causes the vehicle to nudge you over.

I hate the lane keeping feature I had on my Ford Maverick that is also on our new Volvo. Slightest deviation in the lane causes the vehicle to nudge you over.
That would be pretty annoying.

I opted out of all that tech in my last car purchase. And whenever I use a configurator to build a potential car, I do my best to opt out from any almost all of that assist tech except parking sensors and rear cameras. I have never needed them and when I feel I do need them, it's time to stop driving.

Once V2V and V2i are deployed, then I'll reconsider. Although I sure won't be an early adopter.

@BellyFullOfWhiteDogCrap dealing with the Tesla and Level 2 haters:

IllDistantCirriped-small.gif
Ha! Love it!
Btw...hate the levels. Does the ADAS need supervision? If not, can the vehicle drive safer than the average human? That's it. Audi was first to have "level 3" software a few years ago. Long story short, it was completely useless and abandoned....but it was level 3!!

The crybabies tend to forget that humans are terrible drivers and people die on the roads every day. They're complacent to the daily death and serious injury count, but want to save the world if a vehicle using an ADAS is involved in an accident.

Ha! Love it!
Btw...hate the levels. Does the ADAS need supervision? If not, can the vehicle drive safer than the average human? That's it. Audi was first to have "level 3" software a few years ago. Long story short, it was completely useless and abandoned....but it was level 3!!

The crybabies tend to forget that humans are terrible drivers and people die on the roads every day. They're complacent to the daily death and serious injury count, but want to save the world if a vehicle using an ADAS is involved in an accident.
Not sure that’s the right argument. The problem is that the system is failing during preventable situations. I think there are plenty of aid that can help a human driver and human driver can do the same for these systems.

Ha! Love it!

I have mixed feelings on this stuff. Not all humans are terrible drivers, but how does technology identify them and give the vehicle a level of control over the driver? But drivers do indeed cause accidents. I have seen many as an EMT in the past and firefighter on departments that handle vehicle extrication.
Not sure that’s the right argument. The problem is that the system is failing during preventable situations. I think there are plenty of aid that can help a human driver and human driver can do the same for these systems.
Agree. Technology should continue to improve.

No it's not. It's a very dumb idea (not just Tesla's, but all of them). Tech for tech's sake. Can't wait till then ban Level 2.

Still Level 3, not 2. We're past banning Level 2 (unless you're talking about when humans are banned, which I know you're not ; )

Skip 3; go straight to 4.

Ha! Love it!

You hate the levels because they're not kind to your golden boy. They answer the question you asked and then some, however.

Test Shows Electric Truck Costs Over $100 to Charge - More Than It Costs to Fill Most Gas Cars​

Here we go again with the false equivalence trick. Most folks have something comparable to a Corolla or Civic. Of course a massive electric Hummer will cost more to fuel.
We must have a huge population that bails after reading headlines that superficially deliver the confirmation bias they want to hear.
Eventually, with energy density increasing and battery costs decreasing annually (once normal supply conditions resume), both in 5-10% increments, even these accounting tricks won’t work.

Test Shows Electric Truck Costs Over $100 to Charge - More Than It Costs to Fill Most Gas Cars​

let's be fair here. an old hummer would also cost $100 to fill up with gas. 290mi of driving, 12mpg (and i'm being generous), $4 a gallon, comes out to $96.66. if you're going to try to make a point, make sure you do the work first.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Humans fail during preventable situations every minute. Autonomy does not need to be perfect. That's a hard pill for some to swallow.

Last edited:

Folks, realize this is a hyper-partisan right-wing website. Totally unreliable for news of any sort. If you want a big heaping of propaganda, this is a great site.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
I don't understand why people get so animated by the labels Tesla (and other manufacturers) use for their versions of vehicle automation. Level 2 or Level 5, the facts are indisputable - these systems save lives. They are not perfect; people will still die in car crashes. I'm 100% in favor of not letting the good be the enemy of perfection.

I don't understand why people get so animated by the labels Tesla (and other manufacturers) use for their versions of vehicle automation. Level 2 or Level 5, the facts are indisputable - these systems save lives. They are not perfect; people will still die in car crashes. I'm 100% in favor of not letting the good be the enemy of perfection.

Because they're misleading and result in overconfidence and accidents. Why is it other automakers are able to develop systems that don't overstate their capabilities with misnomers?

The overarching goal of autonomy is excellent; that doesn't mean every move along the way will be.

Because they're misleading and result in overconfidence and accidents. Why is it other automakers are able to develop systems that don't overstate their capabilities with misnomers?

The overarching goal of autonomy is excellent; that doesn't mean every move along the way will be.

That's a mighty big statement. You need to back that up with data, assuming you post here in good faith.

They come from the SAE. Tesla's still playing in the sandbox no matter how hard it tries to use hyperbolic marketing to pretend it's private tropical beach sand.
I know where they come from and they're still useless. How'd Audi's level 3 work out? Was is better/more practical than standard autopilot (L2)? How could you possibly assign a 1-5 rating for the infinite complexities of driving.

Tesla's lead in autonomy is indisputable. Don't be blinded by hatred.

Provide your evidence showing ADAS systems lead to more accidents than humans alone.

That's a mighty big statement. You need to back that up with data, assuming you post here in good faith.

Lol, I post here in as "good faith" as anyone here. And I clearly follow the greater industry, EVs of all different kinds, more closely than any Tesla fanboy. You can review my post history for that.

There's an accident like that every week. The names are misleading advertising, period. You know it just as well as I do, hence the ...but, but a few eggs need to be cracked for the beautiful utopian cake.

Reactions: mildone
I know where they come from and they're still useless. How'd Audi's level 3 work out? Was is better/more practical than standard autopilot (L2)? How could you possibly assign a 1-5 rating for the infinite complexities of driving.

Tesla's lead in autonomy is indisputable. Don't be blinded by hatred.

Sure, bro. So useless that the entire industry uses them. Infinite complexities ...lmao. Where do you dig this bullshit up?

I don't hate or love any auto companies, especially ones whose vehicles I've never owned. That's fkn weird.

Reactions: mildone
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT