ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

You couldn't figure that out from "Electric Vehicles"?
I wonder if the forum rules explicitly prohibit rick-rolling thread titles. Like, can we create a thread title along the lines of: "5 Stat FB Commit!" where the actual content of the OP is entirely off-topic (e.g. all about hookers and blow or sheep or whatever)?

That could be kind of fun, at least for those of us, like me, with a fond tolerance for silliness and a pronounced deficiency in high-seriousness. Opening new threads would be like opening a present where you have no idea what's inside.

Bad news for cybertruck fans...

Beauty in the eye of the beholder, but damn that is ugly.

Two comment sunder the story (not mine) are harsh:

27 July, 2021

I've never seen a company so capable of shaking off broken promises the way Tesla can. No legacy automaker could get away with it. Baffling.

28 July, 2021

I remember when the cyber truck was introduced and all the tesla fan boys claimed it would be years before any other electric pickup. At this rate the f150 lightning might be in customers hands before we even see a production version of the cybertruck.

95c5d9f0-efb6-11eb-af7f-01a63ecf3054

Oh Toyota. When will they learn that taking too long to go to market risks all the research and development that they do by allowing others to take control of the market

I was researching EVs and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles before deciding the Y. Turns out there are only around 50 hydrogen fueling stations in the entire North America with 95% in California. 3 are in the Sacramento Region, which might be workable for me. However, the pumps are often not working, either empty or shut down when it's too hot.

Until I see real progress on the infrastructure side, I'm not buying into the idea of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles for quite a while. Maybe there are solutions for fleets - buses, trucks, companies with a lot of vehicles, but not yet for the consumer market.

The only fueling station in the entire eastern USA is in Montreal.

Reactions: LBusDoor90

This reinforces my opinion that manufacturing and selling EVs is not the issue. The infrastructure needed to support them will be what holds back the speed of adoption.

Hard to argue against this. Unless you drive Tesla.

I was researching EVs and hydrogen fuel cell vehicles before deciding the Y. Turns out there are only around 50 hydrogen fueling stations in the entire North America with 95% in California. 3 are in the Sacramento Region, which might be workable for me. However, the pumps are often not working, either empty or shut down when it's too hot.

Until I see real progress on the infrastructure side, I'm not buying into the idea of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles for quite a while. Maybe there are solutions for fleets - buses, trucks, companies with a lot of vehicles, but not yet for the consumer market.

Commuter buses, which do not drive far from their garage, would seem a logical 1st step. And they're in service country wide so it's a large enough market.

One of my nephews just leased a brand new Jeep Wrangler from a dealer here at The Shore. Their entire inventory consisted of five Wranglers. Dealers are having such a hard time getting vehicles these days. First time I have ever been in a Wrangler. I have always been told it had a rough ride, but I loved it. I do have to say it is not the easiest vehicle to get in. Might be hard for children, petite women, and anyone with leg issues due to the height.

Musk is a brilliant guy. But this yoke stubbornness is flat out stupid.

At the very least they should make it an option so actual drivers can skip the stupid fashion over function nonsense.

Last edited:

Lots of issues with hydrogen. The idea has been kicked around for decades, and still, very little progress.
Although hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, it's always bonded to other atoms/molecules here on earth. Therefore energy is required to source pure H. Electrolysis of water works, but is very inefficient. H is low density. It has to be pressurized, stored, and transported safely. Huge costs to build out a H infrastructure.
It might work for a mass transit system, or freight if production is localized. Other than that, I don't see a way for it to compete on cost with batteries when it comes to vehicles.

Here's a couple articles that might prompt some to get an EV as well as push harder for more renewable, clean energy production adoption worldwide:

Of course some leaders and activists have a few things to say about it in the article below:

A few quotes:

“We know what must be done to limit global warming — consign coal to history and shift to clean energy sources, protect nature and provide climate finance for countries on the frontline.”
— British Prime Minister Boris Johnson

And this less EV/Energy related, but scary for vacationers, quote:

“The climate emergency is intensifying each day, and we in the Climate Vulnerable Forum — representing the most climate-vulnerable nations in the world — are on the front line, our nations battered by storms, droughts and rising seas.”
— Mohamed Nasheed, former president of the Maldives

And of course there's always this on point quote:

"Take a look at these hands" - Brian Eno, David Byrne and Donald Trump

😄

Last edited:
Beauty in the eye of the beholder, but damn that is ugly.

Two comment sunder the story (not mine) are harsh:

27 July, 2021

I've never seen a company so capable of shaking off broken promises the way Tesla can. No legacy automaker could get away with it. Baffling.

28 July, 2021

I remember when the cyber truck was introduced and all the tesla fan boys claimed it would be years before any other electric pickup. At this rate the f150 lightning might be in customers hands before we even see a production version of the cybertruck.

95c5d9f0-efb6-11eb-af7f-01a63ecf3054
I think the takeaway from this is mass production of electric vehicles is damn hard. Throw in a global semiconductor shortage too. Prototypes are easy (relatively speaking).

Rivian's truck is supposed to be on the road already. Ford is only producing 2-3K Mach-E / month despite strong demand. GM has battery safety issues. VW had software issues. Tesla is battery constrained, and making a huge bet on the in-house development & production of 4680 cells.

EVs are a new technology. Delays should be expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
I just got my 1st hybrid ever. I don't think i will ever go full electric anytime soon, but I also don't think i will go back to gas only anytime soon either.

I just got my 1st hybrid ever. I don't think i will ever go full electric anytime soon, but I also don't think i will go back to gas only anytime soon either.
Which hybrid did you get? What kind of mileage you getting?

You get a Porsche 918 Spyder? I really want one.

I think the takeaway from this is mass production of electric vehicles is damn hard. Throw in a global semiconductor shortage too. Prototypes are easy (relatively speaking).

Rivian's truck is supposed to be on the road already. Ford is only producing 2-3K Mach-E / month despite strong demand. GM has battery safety issues. VW had software issues. Tesla is battery constrained, and they're taking a huge bet on the in-house development & production of 4680 cells.

EVs are a new technology. Delays should be expected.
Those comments I quoted were quite dumb, and I regret quoting them. Any comment that includes a shot at "fanboys" is a signal the commenter is biased against the company the so-called fanboys love.

Full article:

Tesla battery recycling

“In the fourth quarter of 2020, Tesla successfully installed the first phase of our cell recycling facility at Gigafactory Nevada for in-house processing of both battery manufacturing scrap and end-of-life batteries. While Tesla has worked for years with third-party battery recyclers to ensure our batteries do not end up in a landfill, we understand the importance of also building recycling capacity in-house to supplement these relationships. Onsite recycling brings us one step closer to closing the loop on materials generation, allowing for raw material transfer straight to our nickel and cobalt suppliers. The facility unlocks the cycle of innovation for battery recycling at scale, allowing Tesla to rapidly improve current designs through operational learnings and to perform process testing of R&D products.”

“As the manufacturer of our in-house cell program, we are best positioned to recycle our products efficiently to maximize key battery material recovery. With the implementation of in-house cell manufacturing at Gigafactory Berlin-Brandenburg and Gigafactory Texas, we expect substantial increases in manufacturing scrap globally. We intend to tailor recycling solutions to each location and thereby re-introduce valuable materials back into our manufacturing process. Our goal is to develop a safe recycling process with high recovery rates, low costs and low environmental impact. From an economic perspective, we expect to recognize significant savings over the long term as the costs associated with large-scale battery material recovery and recycling will be far lower than purchasing additional raw materials for cell manufacturing.”

What did you get and how has been the experience?
I got a Venza, I only had it for a week. So I can't really say too much. It is sure feels different and it has a lot of pep like all hybrids. Hybrid versions of non fast cars are really fast, so I am sure a sports car hybrid would be nuts. Lots of high tech features. The new Venza is basically a Lexus without the 10k extra price tag.

I got a Venza, I only had it for a week. So I can't really say too much. It is sure feels different and it has a lot of pep like all hybrids. Hybrid versions of non fast cars are really fast, so I am sure a sports car hybrid would be nuts. Lots of high tech features. The new Venza is basically a Lexus without the 10k extra price tag.

1000x nicer looking that a Prius.

What is the capacity of the battery pack?
Iron or nickel?

Last edited:
If I was in the market for a new vehicle and didn’t have a twelve and a half foot kayak, I think I would have my name on the hybrid $20,000 Ford Maverick reservation list today. Almost 100,000 already on the list. They are going to sell tons of these, both to current truck and non-truck drivers.

If I was in the market for a new vehicle and didn’t have a twelve and a half foot kayak, I think I would have my name on the hybrid $20,000 Ford Maverick reservation list today. Almost 100,000 already on the list. They are going to sell tons of these, both to current truck and non-truck drivers.
How do you carry the kayak now?

Ford is making such investments into EVs. Have to believe they'll sort this out soon. Way to much riding on this.
Agreed. There is, in general, far too much investment into EV tech and infrastructure to not expect that the state of the art is going to improve by leaps and bounds over the next decade.

You could always move to Venice, Italy. Then you don't need anything to carry the kayak - you just need the kayak.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT