ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

Like the size of the truck bed. 200kw battery pack is ridiculous. You can’t recharge it overnight on level 2.
Did not catch the details, but said you could add 100 miles in 10 minutes on a DC fast charger.

Still happy with my Lightning.
Worked out the issues with the new app. Had to reset Phone As A Key twice, but it works now. I rarely use that feature.

But other than that, it looks great. 🙂

Was at a show last weekend. A 5-ish year-old kid in a Spiderman costume who happened to see CT at same time I was there loved it. Like, started telling everyone around to check out the awesome car.

That about summed it up for me ...a truck for five-year-old boys in Spiderman costumes. Maybe grown dudes in Spiderman costumes, too.

I would enjoy a tour of the factory (or any other automotive factory). Those tours are almost always interesting.

However, I don't get why Musk or other executives have to be there. That seems likely to detract from the enjoyment of the tour. I have zero desire to meet any public figures.

Individuals' disdain for the guy aside, I think it would be fascinating to spend some time with him in a factory. I'm fairly neutral on him as a person, but it does seems some of his management decisions are erratic.
Professionally I've learned a lot more about Autism Spectrum Disorders in the last year or so, particularly with those in executive roles like his. I think much of what makes him a genius on one end, is his downfall in other areas. Not an excuse by any means, just more of an observation.

Professionally I've learned a lot more about Autism Spectrum Disorders in the last year or so, particularly with those in executive roles like his. I think much of what makes him a genius on one end, is his downfall in other areas. Not an excuse by any means, just more of an observation.
Started in engineering. Dilbertesque bosses were everywhere. Technically proficient, but awful on the human side. Steve Jobs was a tough manager according to many, but a brilliant mind.

While I tend to think that lots of Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences seems likely to be at least somewhat correct, so I never just look at IQ, I don't think autism or other psychological conditions "make" people geniuses so much as they merely sometimes correlate interestingly with high IQs and/or rare levels of certain abilities (the Rainman effect). Obviously, not all people with a particular developmental or other disorder exhibit unusual talents and it's maybe harder than most realize to meaningfully correlate these things.

In any event, a CEO has many responsibilities and being great at just one or two while sucking at the others does not make for a great CEO. I'm not saying Musk is either "great" or "sucks" at his responsibilities. I think he's done some admirable stuff. But I also think it's dangerously common for people to greatly overestimate the intelligence and goodness of highly successful people, especially very wealthy people.

Success is often a result of a blend of good human traits like intelligence, determination and strong work ethic with not-so-good human traits such as dishonesty, deviousness, arrogance, narcissism, etc. And often all those traits are massively outweighed by the biggest factor of them all: luck (especially in timing).

Was at a show last weekend. A 5-ish year-old kid in a Spiderman costume who happened to see CT at same time I was there loved it. Like, started telling everyone around to check out the awesome car.

That about summed it up for me ...a truck for five-year-old boys in Spiderman costumes. Maybe grown dudes in Spiderman costumes, too.
Saw one of these "in the wild" at my local convenience store a few weeks back and had to do a double take. While out and about yesterday, I noticed the same tesla truck sitting in a driveway around the corner from me...

Are they made out of aluminum? Thing looked like an tarnished old frying pan...

Reactions: fsg2
Saw one of these "in the wild" at my local convenience store a few weeks back and had to do a double take. While out and about yesterday, I noticed the same tesla truck sitting in a driveway around the corner from me...

Make sure to tell your kids/grandkids to keep their distance. People are getting cut just walking near all those sharp edges. And with all the rust issues, those cuts could lead to complications. 😀

Stainless steel.

I think it likely that time will prove such decisions wise.
I'm pretty skeptical of this one, I mean is there anything really new here? A biofuel engine? I remember that being an idea in the 90's(or whenever it was). The Teslarati would say this is Toyota continuing to throw shade at EV's, and I may agree on this one.

Maybe the most interesting part of the article, and the bit that relates most to this thread, is a hybrid that is EV first, with these new smaller engines, as more (and more) the backup.

"The Biden Administration’s $7.5 billion effort to jump-start the electric-vehicle charging landscape is moving very, very slowly. Now more than two years after the program was signed into law in late 2021, only eight chargers have been put in place."

Just wait, Laska says. “I think we’re about to see a lot more momentum behind this program. While there are fewer than a dozen stations open now, nearly 500 sites have now been announced across 20 states. I think 2024 is going to be the year we see a lot more of these stations opening, and a lot more quickly.”

Hopefully right?

I do wonder about this quote though, empahsis on the bold:

“States are moving quickly to install more chargers stamped Made-in-the-USA,” says a spokesperson at the joint office that leads Biden’s EV charging initiatives. “With…an average of 900 new public chargers opening each week, we’re rapidly expanding the nation’s EV charging network to reduce range anxiety and build consumer confidence in purchasing EVs.”

So are chargers opening aside from those being funded by the EV bill? Does the EV bill lay groundwork which makes opening up chargers more feasible, even if they are not directly funded?

Last edited:
I'm pretty skeptical of this one, I mean is there anything really new here? A biofuel engine? I remember that being an idea in the 90's(or whenever it was). The Teslarati would say this is Toyota continuing to throw shade at EV's, and I may agree on this one.

Maybe the most interesting part of the article, and the bit that relates most to this thread, is a hybrid that is EV first, with these new smaller engines, as more (and more) the backup.
The biofuel aspect isn't what's important. It's that those companies are hedging their bets as to automotive future and not planning to rush to 100% EV sales.

It seems a wise application of the proverb about not putting all one's eggs in a one basket.

The biofuel aspect isn't what's important. It's that those companies are hedging their bets as to automotive future and not planning to rush to 100% EV sales.

It seems a wise application of the proverb about not putting all one's eggs in a one basket.
Well that was kind of my point. Biofuel is the headline, but what I thought was important was the tidbit regarding hybrid's.

And Hybrid's have been a segment which has performed very well of late.

Reactions: mildone

RU05 beat me to it, but yeah, cold rolled stainless steel. That's why it has that hideous, impractical form because they can't manipulate it into actual vehicle-like shapes. It's an exoskeleton so strong enough to bear loads.

A lot of new work being done on hydrogen combustion engines. Not only in passenger auto but commercial trucking, marine, aviation, etc.

Japan has some kind of consortium on it with the likes of Toyota, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc.

A lot of new work being done on hydrogen combustion engines. Not only in passenger auto but commercial trucking, marine, aviation, etc.

Japan has some kind of consortium on it with the likes of Toyota, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc.
Is the big concern safety?

I would think the combustion part is not that difficult.

Hydrogen fuel has been discussed in this thread at length. The prospects for widespread adoption here is, at best, dubious. The closest hydrogen fueling station from RU is .... wait for it ... Montreal. No joke:

Let's set aside the lack of fueling infrastructure for a moment, the amount of energy required to manufacture hydrogen into fuel is a huge issue. The most promising method may be using methane gas. However, the cost to produce is also wildly out of balance.

Car and driver published a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle summary.

Since 2015, three hydrogen-powered cars have been offered for sale from three different car companies: the Honda Clarity Fuel Cell, the Hyundai Nexo SUV, and the Toyota Mirai. But Honda has now ended production of all models of the Clarity, and Hyundai has sold only about 1600 Nexo SUVs in six years.

Toyota, the company most devoted to hydrogen power as an alternative to battery-electric vehicles, has sold roughly 14,300 Mirai sedans across two generations in the U.S.—though in some periods it resorted to substantial discounting to move them. (Honda does not break out sales of its Clarity Fuel Cell model from the plug-in-hybrid and battery-electric Clarity versions.)

This year, one new hydrogen vehicle will hit the market: the Honda CR-V e:FCEV is an adaptation of the popular compact crossover, with not only a hydrogen fuel cell (jointly developed with GM) but a larger battery that can be plugged in. That provides 29 miles of range, adding to the 241 miles from the fuel cell. You might think of it as the world’s most complex plug-in hybrid. It will only be available in California, and only for lease. Volume is projected at 300 vehicles a year.

The Japanese vehicle makers bet big on hydrogen and so far have lost big. I expect their biofuels initiative to be a similar dry well.

DETROIT – General Motors’
new entry-level 2025 Cadillac Optiq electric vehicle will start at $54,000, the company said Wednesday.

The compact-sized crossover is set to be Cadillac’s fourth electric vehicle when it goes on sale later this year. It follows the $59,000 Lyriq midsize crossover, the $300,000-plus bespoke Celestiq sedan and the upcoming $130,000 Escalade IQ SUV. Pricing excludes EV incentives, such as federal credits of up to $7,500.

DETROIT – General Motors’
new entry-level 2025 Cadillac Optiq electric vehicle will start at $54,000, the company said Wednesday.

The compact-sized crossover is set to be Cadillac’s fourth electric vehicle when it goes on sale later this year. It follows the $59,000 Lyriq midsize crossover, the $300,000-plus bespoke Celestiq sedan and the upcoming $130,000 Escalade IQ SUV. Pricing excludes EV incentives, such as federal credits of up to $7,500.

Looks like a regular ole car, or SUV as it were. I like it.

Only 300 hp though? Isn't that low for an EV?

Interested to see the monthly's in a couple days. Is GM finally putting EV's on the road in numbers?

Reactions: Knight Shift

I saw one for the first time in person yesterday. Coming toward me it looked like a 2 person amphibious landing craft the military might use. I thought it looked ridiculous.

@Knight Shift my pass app still not working properly. The remote start option is gone. I also checked to see the status of the Tesla adapter and my account doesn’t work on the browser. SMH

I think this is a topic that is very similar to the concerns regarding AI.

I assume those chinese cars are collecting data, so that they can then feed that data into their self driving technology.

Is collecting data any different then spying? Do we care that chinese car companies are collecting data such as where and when we drive? That could be somewhat concerning I guess.

More concerning I think would be, can China control those cars in some way if they wanted to? Either shutting them all down, or making them do whatever.

@Knight Shift my pass app still not working properly. The remote start option is gone. I also checked to see the status of the Tesla adapter and my account doesn’t work on the browser. SMH
And my truck is now charging to 100% at home when the SOC level is set to 90%. Very frustrating.

Good news:

img_6520-jpeg.84333

You may want to follow this thread:

I assume those chinese cars are collecting data, so that they can then feed that data into their self driving technology.

Is collecting data any different then spying? Do we care that chinese car companies are collecting data such as where and when we drive? That could be somewhat concerning I guess.

More concerning I think would be, can China control those cars in some way if they wanted to? Either shutting them all down, or making them do whatever.
Google, Apple, Tesla, GM, Ford, etc are also doing this with our data as we drive. I don't pretend to think that these corporations have the most benevolent intentions for our data. But as you said... to what extent is the data being used by Chinese companies, and does the govt have access to that data and what are their capabilities wrt to the vehicles themselves.

Google, Apple, Tesla, GM, Ford, etc are also doing this with our data as we drive. I don't pretend to think that these corporations have the most benevolent intentions for our data. But as you said... to what extent is the data being used by Chinese companies, and does the govt have access to that data and what are their capabilities wrt to the vehicles themselves.

To the extent that auto manufactures are collecting data on us when we drive, I can live with that, mostly. OTOH, I don't want my travel data shared w/the government. Thus I'm not entirely happy with any legislative measures aimed at tracking our mileage for tax purposes.

Photos of odometer readings is fine. Devices beyond that placed in cars not so much.

The stuff going on w/AI in computers and other devices (unrelated to cars) is much more troubling to me. MSFT's Copilot/Recall thing, for example. While not quite deserving of the hysteria it has generated among the uninformed, it's absolutely a slippery slope when it comes to even greater loss of privacy. And it presents a very large attack surface for bad actors to exploit.

Makes me laugh how our federal government has been making so much noise about TikTok while pretty much every US tech company is openly and aggressively intruding on the privacy of their users for profit.

And many corporations, in the name of corporate security, are also using intensively intrusive software that tracks everything their employees do (using internet proxies that track all internet use along with periodic audio/video/screen captures) which, again, provides an immense attack surface for bad actors to exploit. So the corporations are more secure, but employees are at greater risk than ever.

Many people use personal devices for work and install software provided by their corporate IT departments in the name of security. This is a very, very bad idea for employees. Employees should never install stuff from their IT department on their personal devices. Insist on using devices supplied from your employer and only ever use those devices for work, never for anything non-work related (which is generally clearly spelled out in employment agreements anyway).

I have zero concerns of the US being at war, proxy or otherwise, with GM. China? Its a matter of probability and that probability might be lowish but it isn’t zero.

I figure the govt has access to that info if they want it. And i assume they want it. Why wouldn’t they.

I have zero concerns of the US being at war, proxy or otherwise, with GM. China? Its a matter of probability and that probability might be lowish but it isn’t zero.

I figure the govt has access to that info if they want it. And i assume they want it. Why wouldn’t they.
Our government (and several others) can access lots of stuff. But the access our government has is regulated (arguably not very well, but still). And when a US agency steps too far over the line, it eventually comes to light one way or another.

I'm more concerned with our lack of regulation about what corporations can do. Because Google, Apple, MSFT, Amazon, and all the social media platforms, not to mention people's employers, all have access to our lives that is entirely unregulated at this time.

Reactions: RUevolution36
I see Jeep is announcing a $25k e-C3 due out some time this year in Europe.

And then another ev due for the US at a similar price point by 2027.

So more players in the mix with prices continuing to come down.

Our government (and several others) can access lots of stuff. But the access our government has is regulated (arguably not very well, but still). And when a US agency steps too far over the line, it eventually comes to light one way or another.

I'm more concerned with our lack of regulation about what corporations can do. Because Google, Apple, MSFT, Amazon, and all the social media platforms, not to mention people's employers all have access to our lives that is entirely unregulated at this time.
All legit concerns for sure.

And then there is China collecting that data.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT