ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

All legit concerns for sure.

And then there is China collecting that data.
Everybody's collecting it, not just China. While we won't go to war with GM or Tesla, the fact that the data is collected and stored somewhere means it can be hacked into by China or other people across the globe.

Why is China ok with US automakers?
They probably aren't, entirely.

But also, they know the US is politically constrained by its system of government in that the political parties do their best to play "watchdog" on the other parties, and continually attack each other for electoral purposes. Our government's ability to act is therefore constrained in ways China's is not.

There is a reason why China (among others) are working so hard to feed divisive political narratives to the American people. The more polarized the US electorate is, the less powerful we become because our government cannot easily make hard choices without great political risk.

Chinese leadership has no such constraint. Which is not to say it's better; it's absolutely not (IMO). But among the many disadvantages of it's form of government, it does enjoy a few advantages and this is one of them.

So... some of the things we could technically do w/information or control of US made cars we cannot do for political reasons. Whereas China is really only constrained by fears of war or economic sanctions or civil unrest.

Reactions: RU-05
"Global EV sales could hit 17 million in 2024, meaning more than one in five cars sold worldwide will be electric.

Surging demand for clean, cheap EVs across the rest of this decade will completely change the global auto industry. By 2035, IEA projects 50% of all cars sold globally will be EVs, cutting oil demand between 6-10 million barrels per day, equivalent to the current amount used for road transportation in the U.S."

But...but... no one but Elon can build an EV battery factory! And legacy auto is dead!
While Tesla sales may have slipped, other brands have increased sales, partially offsetting the decline. For instance, Ford’s EV year-to-date sales have nearly doubled, total sales across the country rose in Q1 2024, and nationwide EV sales have grown every quarter since 2021.

Hydrogen fuel has been discussed in this thread at length. The prospects for widespread adoption here is, at best, dubious. The closest hydrogen fueling station from RU is .... wait for it ... Montreal. No joke:

Let's set aside the lack of fueling infrastructure for a moment, the amount of energy required to manufacture hydrogen into fuel is a huge issue. The most promising method may be using methane gas. However, the cost to produce is also wildly out of balance.

Car and driver published a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle summary.

Since 2015, three hydrogen-powered cars have been offered for sale from three different car companies: the Honda Clarity Fuel Cell, the Hyundai Nexo SUV, and the Toyota Mirai. But Honda has now ended production of all models of the Clarity, and Hyundai has sold only about 1600 Nexo SUVs in six years.

Toyota, the company most devoted to hydrogen power as an alternative to battery-electric vehicles, has sold roughly 14,300 Mirai sedans across two generations in the U.S.—though in some periods it resorted to substantial discounting to move them. (Honda does not break out sales of its Clarity Fuel Cell model from the plug-in-hybrid and battery-electric Clarity versions.)

This year, one new hydrogen vehicle will hit the market: the Honda CR-V e:FCEV is an adaptation of the popular compact crossover, with not only a hydrogen fuel cell (jointly developed with GM) but a larger battery that can be plugged in. That provides 29 miles of range, adding to the 241 miles from the fuel cell. You might think of it as the world’s most complex plug-in hybrid. It will only be available in California, and only for lease. Volume is projected at 300 vehicles a year.

The Japanese vehicle makers bet big on hydrogen and so far have lost big. I expect their biofuels initiative to be a similar dry well.
I can't imagine Hydrogen ever making sense with respect to safety. I worked with Hydrogen at a former job. It was a precursor gas to depositing SiC in CVD coating production process. Its use would either lead to horrendous deadly accidents or would be prohibitively expensive. The costs of implementing the necessary explosion prevention safeguards alone I imagine would make it impractical.

Reactions: RU-05
I can't imagine Hydrogen ever making sense with respect to safety. I worked with Hydrogen at a former job. It was a precursor gas to depositing SiC in CVD coating production process. Its use would either lead to horrendous deadly accidents or would be prohibitively expensive. The costs of implementing the necessary explosion prevention safeguards alone I imagine would make it impractical.
Precursor and SiC--- speaking my language!!! Do tons of CVD and ALD work on ceramic films.

Reactions: CERU00
Why else would they line up like that? We all know it’s a great truck for the race track. Just don’t ask it to do truck stuff.
I was joshing if that wasn’t clear.

Thought about going with “is the CT pulling an invisible anchor?”

Edit: or better yet invisible spaceship

Last edited:
Reactions: jtung230
Like most headlines re Trump, it is false.
I can't agree with such a broad statement, although I suspect there are many headlines of questionable accuracy both in support of and in opposition to Trump (or any politician, really).

But it would be nearly impossible to gather the requisite facts to prove the point. There are countless media outlets across the internet these days - so many that nobody could possibly read them all. Not to mention you'd never get much consensus on the truth or falsehood of most political headlines anyway. Nobody would agree, so what would be the point?

The only headlines about him I've seen recently (just AP headlines in my twitter feed these days, 99% of which I ignore), are about him being convicted on all counts for the criminal case in which he was the defendant. Which is obviously true, at least for the time-being.

Last edited:
Some may find this article interesting.

I tried to read it. But I found it structurally difficult to follow. And the writer's perspective on the world doesn't work for me; I vomited a few times into my mouth before finally giving up. 🤮

I heard them talking on cnbc that people don't want to rent EV's because they don't want to have to charge on the way to dropping them off at the airport.

Has anyone rented an EV? is that true? Seems like an easy to fix problem if it is.

I heard them talking on cnbc that people don't want to rent EV's because they don't want to have to charge on the way to dropping them off at the airport.

Has anyone rented an EV? is that true? Seems like an easy to fix problem if it is.
I looked into it and that is true. Also the fact that I don’t want to deal with charging inconveniences on vacation where I may be in an unknown area. This coming from someone who owns an EV at home.

I’m renting one through Turo this weekend so it’s a little different than traditional renting. I have to return it charged, but don’t pay for it.

ETA- it should be the same as traditional cars where you have the option to drop it off without charging

I’m renting one through Turo this weekend so it’s a little different than traditional renting. I have to return it charged, but don’t pay for it.

ETA- it should be the same as traditional cars where you have the option to drop it off without charging
Most our vacations include a 100 mile drive from the airport to our vacation home, and while there is a bank of Tesla chargers close by, I can't imagine the hassle of scouting out charging units around the airport. We have a set routine with the same gas station and exit on every trip. I supposed we could figure that out if we had an EV to charge, but the additional time to charge would be an issue. These are not issues for my daily driving life at home, because we charge at home and at work while we are not driving or waiting to drive.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
Making customers charge an EV rental before returning seems like bad business ...unless they just don't want to rent them over an ICE.

Should be pretty easy for the rental co to just plug it in after return ...more so than a traveler having to do so at a public charger before a flight home. Clear deal breaker.

Making customers charge an EV rental before returning seems like bad business ...unless they just don't want to rent them over an ICE.

Should be pretty easy for the rental co to just plug it in after return ...more so than a traveler having to do so at a public charger before a flight home. Clear deal breaker.
Agreed, Hertz has the same option you’d have as returning a vehicle without filling up the gas. Guessing others do too.

“And remember: Skip the Recharge: Return your EV at any battery level and we'll recharge it for $35—Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® members pay just $25. Or return it at the same battery level as pick-up and pay $0. 80% Rule: EV batteries work best between 80-20%, so we strive to have all our EVs at 80% at pick-up.”

Reactions: fsg2
Good news......and bad news for Ford on the EV front.

Ford’s EV sales are still seeing momentum, however. Ford said EV sales totaled 8,966 vehicles in May, up 64.7% year over year. Ford’s EVs are still popular with consumers, with the Mustang Mach-E SUV up 45.9%; F-150 Lightning up 91%, and E-Transit commercial van up 77%.

Though sales of Ford EVs are higher, Ford has increasingly had to use incentives to move the vehicles. Though strong EV sales in May follow an 86% jump in EV sales in Q1, Ford’s EV unit lost $1.32 billion in Q1 and is expected to lose over $5 billion in 2024.

Their Hybrid sales are kicking it too.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
This is from last week.

"For every sign of an EV slowdown, another suggests an adolescent industry on the verge of its next growth spurt. In fact, for most automakers, even the first quarter was a blockbuster. Six of the 10 biggest EV makers in the US saw sales grow at a scorching pace compared to a year ago — up anywhere from 56% at Hyundai-Kia to 86% at Ford. A sampling of April sales similarly came in hot."

Reactions: Knight Shift
EV sales in Germany tank as incentives have rolled off.

The sector is down 30% yoy. Tesla is down 60% yoy in the country.

BYD is in the country, but only a couple hundred cars sold in the month.

Expect to see more pushback from these unrealistic and authoritarian EV mandates:

I am not a fan of EV mandates and have been consistent in saying throughout this thread that I was pretty sure they'd get modified and/or dropped in most states due to political pressures.

But the governor talking about "free enterprise" as if it's some absolutist concept of goodness is fodder for morons. If free enterprise was so great, why has our government given so much money for so many years to petrochemical companies for oil exploration? Why did we bail out banks?

Free enterprise is a truly wonderful thing but, like all human endeavors, it's not a perfect concept. It's as much government's job to ensure free enterprise doesn't run amok as it is to ensure critical industries are stable and even, to some degree, protected.

If free enterprise were left entirely to its own devices, then we'd have massively polluted rivers and lakes/ponds/streams, a massively carcinogenic atmosphere, the loss of many thousands more species, etc. We have one planet with limited resources and no real hope of living anyplace else (at least not any time soon). So efforts to rein in free enterprise and protect our world is a national security, a global security issue.

EVs may or may not make that much difference (the jury is still out). So I'm not gonna say EVs or mandates are absolutely a good thing. But the mandates are about incentivizing automobile manufacturers which was the only way this whole EV experiment could get started. And trying to find ways to significantly cut down on carbon emissions is unarguably a wise thing. It just needs to be properly balanced w/competing interests.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
EV sales in Germany tank as incentives have rolled off.

The sector is down 30% yoy. Tesla is down 60% yoy in the country.

BYD is in the country, but only a couple hundred cars sold in the month.

I don't know why that is, but I continue to suspect that charging infrastructure development must proceed EV sales to maintain steady EV adoption.

I dunno, to me that seems like common-sense. But I get that it's more risky to provide infrastructure ahead of selling the EVs that use that infrastructure. Bit of a catch-22.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT