ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

Huge blow to EV industry:

And In some months hybrids are outselling EVs 5-1
This is something we agree on. EREVs (extended range hybrids) are going to have a strong market. It seems that is where Ford is pivoting towards. See linked article below. Have said numerous times in this thread and elsewhere that these all EVs by 2030 or 2035 is a laudable, not not realistic and ludicrous goal. Let the market dictate. And there will be plenty of emissions savings from EREVs. From the linked article:

You’ve got a base electric range of 140-150 miles and you can do all of your regular driving off of that. With the range extender, you can go another 400-500 miles, and tow more like a traditional gas or diesel truck. And then you don’t have to worry about finding a place to charge, you just fill it up with gas again,” said Abuelsamid. The Ramcharger is said to deliver 690 miles of total range, and the idea is that unlike with strictly electric trucks, whose range plummet when dragging a trailer or hauling anything—you know, truck stuff—with the gas engine onboard, the Ramcharger will be able to tow longer distances with less worry, needing only conventional fill-ups along the way. Think about it—though one could choose instead to sit at a charger for much longer to regain the 140 to 150 miles of EV-only range if they wanted to, it'd be much quicker and more convenient to make a five-minute gas stop like you would in any other truck.

That 500-600 mile range gave me an idea for all those old roadside motels where you park outside your room.

Charging stations at every room.. remodel everything to modern standards. Resurgence of the road trip and the highway 66s of America and those "motor hotels".

Hmm.. that blends nicely with that photo of the Cybertruck in Family Truckster style from "Vacation".

Reactions: Knight Shift
Lotus can still make cars with incredible handling, even a "heavy" EV. This is seriously fast. Still sounds like a vacuum cleaner, but it's pretty mind-blowing how fast this car is taking some corners and very destabilizing straights.

A hybrid is still the track lap record holder, though. And the video here is even more mind-blowing due to the even faster cornering speeds. This car hits a smidge under 230 mph on the final straight.

In either case, crashing on certain points of this track, even with all the amazing safety tech built into these cars, would have a very nasty outcome for the driver.

Getting conflicting info on the NJ Chargeup so maybe the experts here can help.

There is an increased Charge Up rebate of 4000 but is appears to be two rebates of 2000. The first is a Charge Up 2000 rebate and then later this year is another 2000 rebate under Charge Up+.

The next question is both rebates income driven or is just the additional 2000 tied to income testing?

@Knight Shift

Just got an email that my adapter has shipped.
Cool, what was your order #. I am 14289
Has Ford sold that many Lightings?
The volume has actually been increasing. I had posted numbers above.

This thread on the Lightning forum is a good tracker. Someone at 13,400 had theirs shipped yesterday. Hoping for mine soon:

Last edited:
Cool, what was your order #. I am 14289

The volume has actually been increasing. I had posted numbers above.

This thread on the Lightning forum is a good tracker. Someone at 13,400 had theirs shipped yesterday. Hoping for mine soon:

I wonder if they aggregate mach e and whatever else is coming out of the transit line but yes seems there are well over 100k orders.

Drove by one of these in LA today. Such a good idea if they can scale
Seems like widespread adoption of that type of charging concept (a kind of 24/7 assured instant availability) would be the speediest path forward to EV adoption. But it's a bit of a chicken or the egg problem in getting more companies involved.

I'd much prefer to see private businesses doing it. But maybe the startup costs are prohibitive in part because of the need to pay the owners of the roads (local/state/federal governments on behalf of us taxpayers) for the right to place and operate for-profit chargers there.

Could it be as simple as towns and municipalities funding it directly through income from the use of the chargers? Efficient use of technology here could help by largely automating the charging of people using the chargers (license plate readers, or tag readers - like EZ Pass, or something along those lines perhaps). But that sort of efficiency isn't really a strong suit of government these days.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT