ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

Force myself into difficult charging situations?! The point I’m making has nothing to do with charging availability or planning - it has everything to do with math and basic finance. If towns install public chargers with 3.3KW-6.6KW and people have to pay $0.50-1.00 per EV mile you can forget about any meaningful adoption. For the record, I’m pro-EV…wife had a deposit on the Volvo EX-90 for close to 2 years. We both drive hybrids. But ICE vehicles are never, ever, going to be replaced by EVs unless the Gov’t or private sector makes a massive investment into infrastructure and charging tech.
You keep missing the larger point. Name a place in LBI where there is enough cheap real estate for a high speed EV charging station with multiple stalls. And please explain why any company would make such an investment in a barrier island at risk for flooding and hurricane damage.

You are also stuck in the now is forever mindset, shitting down the possibilities of future technology development and other factors that will make EV charging less expensive. Why do you seem hyper focused on one small geographic location, and ignore the example I gave you that is a short distance from LBI?

You do realize that once you charge in Manahwkin and drive locally on LBI, EVs will consume very little of the state of charge due to regenerative braking. So, charge up on the way into the island, and charge up on the way out.

Newsflash-people who live and summer in LBI drive to Manahawkin for shopping that is not available on LBI. Still don't understand the point you are trying to make with such a poor example.

Didn’t there used to be LiDAR sensors in Teslas, or some other type? And at some point several years back, Musk made a big show of eliminating all but the cameras, saying they were all that was needed (which appears not to be, so much)?

Never mind, I looked it up myself. And yes, I recalled it correctly. And apparently Tesla has been stocking up on LiDAR sensors more recently which implies that Musk was wrong. But in the meantime, Tesla saved some money by eliminating the other, apparently necessary, components.

Teslas currently sold don’t use lidar. They transitioned away in 21-22. They use lidar in research and development. So to your original post, he isn’t cutting sensors to make himself more money.

Force myself into difficult charging situations?! The point I’m making has nothing to do with charging availability or planning - it has everything to do with math and basic finance. If towns install public chargers with 3.3KW-6.6KW and people have to pay $0.50-1.00 per EV mile you can forget about any meaningful adoption. For the record, I’m pro-EV…wife had a deposit on the Volvo EX-90 for close to 2 years. We both drive hybrids. But ICE vehicles are never, ever, going to be replaced by EVs unless the Gov’t or private sector makes a massive investment into infrastructure and charging tech.
You are correct, towns installing 6.5 watt chargers make no sense and aren’t a viable charging method. I don’t know anyone with an ev who would rely on them to charge.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Teslas currently sold don’t use lidar. They transitioned away in 21-22. They use lidar in research and development. So to your original post, he isn’t cutting sensors to make himself more money.
Perhaps I was less than clear with my verb tenses somewhere, but I’m not saying it’s gonna happen in the future. I’m saying it already happened, in the past. I think around 2021. And Musk put out some pure marketing BS about other sensor types being problematic. As I said, this already happened years back.

Lots of people, including me, never believed his BS since he’s so prone to BSing about stuff, and figured it for a cost cutting measure. Which made even more sense given all the Tesla price cuts.

What’s new is Tesla buying a bunch of LiDAR sensors. Admitting Musk was wrong.

Perhaps I was less than clear with my verb tenses somewhere, but I’m not saying it’s gonna happen in the future. I’m saying it already happened, in the past. I think around 2021. And Musk put out some pure marketing BS about other sensor types being problematic. As I said, this already happened years back.

Lots of people, including me, never believed his BS since he’s so prone to BSing about stuff, and figured it for a cost cutting measure. Which made even more sense given all the Tesla price cuts.

What’s new is Tesla buying a bunch of LiDAR sensors. Admitting Musk was wrong.
Buying $2 million worth of sensors to use in testing is a bit of a stretch to “admitting musk was wrong.” If they switch to lidar you’d be correct but that still remains to be seen. Your linked article touts Mercedes as having the top of the line lidar fsd system. The price tag is around $100k. Someone finding a way to do that at $30-40k is hopefully the goal.

Buying $2 million worth of sensors to use in testing is a bit of a stretch to “admitting musk was wrong.” If they switch to lidar you’d be correct but that still remains to be seen. Your linked article touts Mercedes as having the top of the line lidar fsd system. The price tag is around $100k. Someone finding a way to do that at $30-40k is hopefully the goal.
Not switch to, but add it back to work alongside the existing camera sensors. Pretty sure that combining radar, LiDAR, and cameras is the way to go.

Cheap is great until it costs lives. The Mercedes is in an entirely different league of luxury and comfort than a Tesla. They’re not comparable brands. It’s not the cost of the sensors that drives the price that high. It’s all that luxurious comfort, and the brand name.

At the volume Tesla would be buying the sensors, it won’t cut into Musk’s or consumer’s pockets too deeply to incorporate better self-driving tech. While the Teslerati are a wierdly cultish bunch, I have to think even they, given the option, would prefer Musk have to eat a little crow, so they can pay a bit more and avoid having their car drive itself into an emergency vehicle with their children inside.

Not switch to, but add it back to work alongside the existing camera sensors. Pretty sure that combining radar, LiDAR, and cameras is the way to go.

Cheap is great until it costs lives. The Mercedes is in an entirely different league of luxury and comfort than a Tesla. They’re not comparable brands. It’s not the cost of the sensors that drives the price that high. It’s all that luxurious comfort, and the brand name.

At the volume Tesla would be buying the sensors, it won’t cut into Musk’s or consumer’s pockets too deeply to incorporate better self-driving tech. While the Teslerati are a wierdly cultish bunch, I have to think even they, given the option, would prefer Musk have to eat a little crow, so they can pay a bit more and avoid having their car drive itself into an emergency vehicle with their children inside.
Musk wants to cut costs on sensors in Teslas, ‘cause apparently, $200B+ isn’t enough and who cares if people die.
Ok, so he’s not cutting costs on sensors?

Yes, he clearly did. You seem to be having reading comprehension issues today.
None whatsoever. You posted an article saying “he wants to cut costs on sensors” then posted another saying that he’s adding costs via new sensor purchases. Just trying to understand which is true.

None whatsoever. You posted an article saying “he wants to cut costs on sensors” then posted another saying that he’s adding costs via new sensor purchases. Just trying to understand which is true.
Uh-huh, you’re just trolling, but that’s fair game. I subsequently explained it, but I’ll add to my prior explanation.

Not only did $2B man Musk exercise greed by implementing cost-cutting of required safety features in the past, it’s an ongoing exercise; it’s still taking place. He still pushing out cars today that lack the equipment to properly sense the environment around the car in all conditions thus increasing risk for everyone on the road in and around such ill-equipped cars.

So when someone buys a Tesla tomorrow, Musk will, in fact (chronologically accurately stated fact), be cutting costs on the cars sensors.

Unlike Musk, I am not so greedy and will happily take the hit on my Tesla stock when someone sues Tesla for millions and millions for choosing greed over safety. I wish Tesla would part ways with Musk, let a real CEO run things. Then, after the stock reacts, I’ll buy a bunch more cheap and ride it back up.

Uh-huh, you’re just trolling, but that’s fair game. I subsequently explained it, but I’ll add to my prior explanation.

Not only did $2B man Musk exercise greed by implementing cost-cutting of required safety features in the past, it’s an ongoing exercise; it’s still taking place. He still pushing out cars today that lack the equipment to properly sense the environment around the car in all conditions thus increasing risk for everyone on the road in and around such ill-equipped cars.

So when someone buys a Tesla tomorrow, Musk will, in fact (chronologically accurately stated fact), be cutting costs on the cars sensors.

Unlike Musk, I am not so greedy and will happily take the hit on my Tesla stock when someone sues Tesla for millions and millions for choosing greed over safety. I wish Tesla would part ways with Musk, let a real CEO run things. Then, after the stock reacts, I’ll buy a bunch more cheap and ride it back up.
Not trolling, just trying to follow your posts. Last week you mistakenly thought Tesla hoods were opening themselves on highways and needed to be corrected. Not sure how you are so fundamentally against Tesla’s CEO and business model but still hold the stock, but you do you.

Not trolling, just trying to follow your posts. Last week you mistakenly thought Tesla hoods were opening themselves on highways and needed to be corrected. Not sure how you are so fundamentally against Tesla’s CEO and business model but still hold the stock, but you do you.
I started out neutral about Musk, mostly because I didn’t know anything about him. But this thread brought him up a lot, so I started learning more about him. I think he was weird but otherwise harmless for a long time. Pretty much up until some point prior to his purchase of Twitter.

Then something changed with him, no idea what. He behaves like he started believing his own BS. At which point, like everyone else who believes their own BS and takes themselves too seriously, he started doing some really dumb stuff.

I’m not against him. I just prefer he not be the CEO of Tesla anymore. Do the dumb stuff somewhere else.

Reactions: LBusDoor90
Hope they figure it out. Also hope they do a facelift and go with more traditional looking headlight arrangement, or at least something different. But the whole rest of the vehicle looks nice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT