ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

I’m retired now, but was a transportation planner in both the public and private sectors. Davis is a great college town. Definitely the kind of place you can feel safe for your daughter.
Nice! Congrats on the retirement. Yes, it’s a great town and we’ve had a nice time being able to visit and explore the surrounding areas. Hopefully you were able to stay cool this past week!

Nice! Congrats on the retirement. Yes, it’s a great town and we’ve had a nice time being able to visit and explore the surrounding areas. Hopefully you were able to stay cool this past week!

The delta breeze makes the climate manageable. I can handle the 110-115 degree days as long as it cools down at night (which happened for all but two nights of the latest heat wave). Hate running the AC while I'm trying to sleep.

Reactions: RC1991
The delta breeze makes the climate manageable. I can handle the 110-115 degree days as long as it cools down at night (which happened for all but two nights of the latest heat wave). Hate running the AC while I'm trying to sleep.
Do you go to either San Francisco or Santa Rosa much? Looks like you are about 1.5 hours to San Francisco. Did some business in Santa Rosa many years ago, and I liked that area.

Do you go to either San Francisco or Santa Rosa much? Looks like you are about 1.5 hours to San Francisco. Did some business in Santa Rosa many years ago, and I liked that area.

My wife and I take trips to Napa (about 45 minutes to an hour) and the Sonoma Coast - Bodega Bay (2 hours). Yes, SF, too. 90 minutes on a good day. Tahoe is 2 hours away. Lots of easy day trips in the Tesla (Bringing back the EV angle 🙂).

Santa Rosa is a cool North Bay city. I really like Sonoma County a lot.

My wife and I take trips to Napa (about 45 minutes to an hour) and the Sonoma Coast - Bodega Bay (2 hours). Yes, SF, too. 90 minutes on a good day. Tahoe is 2 hours away. Lots of easy day trips in the Tesla (Bringing back the EV angle 🙂).

Santa Rosa is a cool North Bay city. I really like Sonoma County a lot.
Sorry for the thread derail. Are there any cool markers or buildings from the filming of The Birds? Love that movie. Especially the cool EVs they drove around in. 😂

Ha! Yes, there are number of markers in the area for The Birds around Bodega Bay.

Though when I think of Hitchcock, I mentally go to the grove of eucalyptus trees south of San Juan Batista along US-101 filmed in Vertigo. The location is out of direction from the the trip between San Francisco and the Mission in San Juan Batista.

It was mid 90s when we did the dorm move out in June but was definitely cooler in the shade and the morning was comfortable with the breeze. We rented a Tesla for a long weekend last fall and it was great to get around and easy charging.

If I can get the base model and the $7500 fed credit and $5000 state credit it will be under $30k.
My lease on a Cadillac was coming to end and the dealer offered me an incredible deal for the Lyriq, nothing out of pocket, 2 yr lease, installed home charger for free or $1500 credit for charging stations, $7500 tax credit, $499 month, $80k car, I couldn’t pass this up, love the car! It’s great if the most you will drive in a day is around 200 miles and you can charge overnight, you get about 30 miles per hour charging with the home charger I have.

Reactions: RU-05
Midway through I'm thinking "it sounds like they need to bring software in house" and sure enough.

Of course the Tesla fans will tell you this is proof the legacies are going out of business, but much like the legacies are now successfully building battery powered vehicles, in time these companies will also successfully be programming their own software. And they are able to do so because their ICE businesses make a ton of money and are able to make the necessary investments.

I think this is also very relevant to the stock thread, as the legacies trade at ridiculously low multiples. If they can successfully bring software in house, that's an opportunity to boost those multiples.

Midway through I'm thinking "it sounds like they need to bring software in house" and sure enough.

Of course the Tesla fans will tell you this is proof the legacies are going out of business, but much like the legacies are now successfully building battery powered vehicles, in time these companies will also successfully be programming their own software. And they are able to do so because their ICE businesses make a ton of money and are able to make the necessary investments.

I think this is also very relevant to the stock thread, as the legacies trade at ridiculously low multiples. If they can successfully bring software in house, that's an opportunity to boost those multiples.
Legacy auto can absolutely do it. They just need motivation $$$$$.

I am sure this was covered previously but 343 pages is too much to shift through.
I just watched a few U-tube videos of people explaining how to charge their EVs.
How long does it take to get to 80% at the most frequently found on-the-road charging stations?
These videos said 35-45 minutes. One of them showed a woman using her cell phone to activate the charging.
With my ICE I could have filled up and been back on the road before her charging even started.
I recognize that most of the time you can recharge overnight at home, once you have installed a station.
How much does that cost? I've been told the extra electricity use does not amount to much $$$ for your home bill.
The N.J. Dems made sure you could not install enough solar to plan for an EV.

I am sure this was covered previously but 343 pages is too much to shift through.
I just watched a few U-tube videos of people explaining how to charge their EVs.
How long does it take to get to 80% at the most frequently found on-the-road charging stations?
These videos said 35-45 minutes. One of them showed a woman using her cell phone to activate the charging.
With my ICE I could have filled up and been back on the road before her charging even started.
I recognize that most of the time you can recharge overnight at home, once you have installed a station.
How much does that cost? I've been told the extra electricity use does not amount to much $$$ for your home bill.
Several factors come into play:
1. The speed of the charging unit.
2. Size of the battery
3. The state of charge (SOC) of the battery- it will take longer to go from 1-to 80% than from 20 to 80%. Also depends on the vehicle and type of battery.
4. Our charging at home is essentially free since we have solar panels.

If you do a lot of trips over 200-250 miles during the course of your year, an EV may not be for you, or have an ICE vehicle (or plug in hybrid for best of both worlds) as a second vehicle.

In almost 2 years of driving a F150 Lightning, I have yet to need to charge away from home. My vehicle is my daily driver- drive 37 miles to work and then home 37 miles. I can charge for free at work too. I don't miss the gas station at all. However, if I was a salesperson or had another job that required frequent driving, an EV would not be my daily car.

Are you asking about what it costs to charge or also what it costs to install a charger in your house?

If you live in NJ and have PSEG, it won't cost you a lot to install the charger and you can get a rebate from the state for $250 for the charger. I priced it out and we would have to run a 40 amp line from our panel for a new plug in Level 2 charger. PSEG covers up to $1500 in terms of statement credits towards installation/upgrade to an EV charger.

For me, it would cost about $700, which would be offset by $700 in statement credits from PSEG, for the new line and plug and then the charger was about $550 minus the $250 rebate. All told, putting in a new Level 2 charger would cost me around $250-300.

Kick in the nuts to EV production plans, but CEO's comments are "electric!"

Ford CEO Jim Farley said in a release:
“This move benefits our customers and supercharges our Ford Pro commercial business.”
Not too surprising. Seems they have a lot of excess production capacity in the ev factories already up and running.

In a link I posted up above, production of the Mach E, was way down from 2023. Though the story didn't note production of f-150 or the commercial line.

Sale's comp's yoy were excellent for all their EV's in the 1st half but those comp's get much more difficult in the 2nd half of the year.

For the year, I think we may see the biggest players see sales fall(we've already seen it with TSLA), but EV sales up overall as more and more manufacturers enter the market.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Kick in the nuts to EV production plans, but CEO's comments are "electric!"

Ford CEO Jim Farley said in a release:
“This move benefits our customers and supercharges our Ford Pro commercial business.”
Demand has hit a wall. No need to ramp up. Still see 2023 Lightings on the lot.

The article discusses that along with nuclear? Or is your note a reaction to the headline and simply trying to refute the notion of a move to renewables? It’s Ana Australian based article lacking US political bias from either side.

Since I read the article, I'm well aware it's Australian. And while I'm all for adding renewables to the mix and increasing them I'm not a member of the Church of Wind and Solar. I support NOT adding more coal. But those who point to Germany and China need to look at all the facts. Yes, Germany added a lot of renewables. But when they shut down their nukes, they were forced to increase their use of coal. And while China is adding wind and solar they're also significantly building more coal. I'm pretty much an "all of the above" advocate, but I would rule out more coal. And I think any article celebrating China should acknowledge the fact of their increased use of coal.

The article discusses that along with nuclear? Or is your note a reaction to the headline and simply trying to refute the notion of a move to renewables? It’s Ana Australian based article lacking US political bias from either side.
The article YOU linked says this:

"Somewhat counterintuitively, China has built dozens of coal-fired power stations alongside its renewable energy zones, to maintain the pace of its clean energy transition.

China was responsible for 95 per cent of the world's new coal power construction activity last year.

The new plants are partly needed to meet demand for electricity, which has gone up as more energy-hungry sectors of the economy, like transport, are electrified.

The coal-fired plants are also being used, like the batteries and pumped hydro, to provide a stable supply of power down the transmission lines from renewable energy zones, balancing out the intermittent solar and wind."

This seems to be a rational and balanced approach, something that should be done here in the US. However, some screeching extremists act like if the US builds some coal-fired plants, the world is going to end next week or in 10 years and our country is the spawn of Satan.

Similarly, the rush and mandates to EVs (I have a full EV pickup and and plug in hybrid-both "powered" by solar on our home) to full EV is silly, especially coupled with shutting down coal plants and legacy energy sources when man parts of the grid are not ready to supply all the new electric demand.

I'm considering moving to China. 😏

Reactions: RU2131

"Somewhat counterintuitively, China has built dozens of coal-fired power stations alongside its renewable energy zones, to maintain the pace of its clean energy transition.

China was responsible for 95 per cent of the world's new coal power construction activity last year.

The new plants are partly needed to meet demand for electricity, which has gone up as more energy-hungry sectors of the economy, like transport, are electrified.

The coal-fired plants are also being used, like the batteries and pumped hydro, to provide a stable supply of power down the transmission lines from renewable energy zones, balancing out the intermittent solar and wind."

This seems to be a rational and balanced approach, something that should be done here in the US. However, some screeching extremists act like if the US builds some coal-fired plants, the world is going to end next week or in 10 years and our country is the spawn of Satan.

Similarly, the rush and mandates to EVs (I have a full EV pickup and and plug in hybrid-both "powered" by solar on our home) to full EV is silly, especially coupled with shutting down coal plants and legacy energy sources when man parts of the grid are not ready to supply all the new electric demand.

Bingo.

The US should be at the forefront of green energy alternatives in conjunction with continuing fossil fuel production. That being said, coal seems to be the worst offender in terms of pollution so I can't really get behind coal expansion. I don't believe the US needs, nor should, turn to coal expansion for energy production.

Nuclear should also be an option but there are so many hurdles here (and not just regulatory) - cost being a major driver in the stalling of nuclear expansion.

Bingo.

The US should be at the forefront of green energy alternatives in conjunction with continuing fossil fuel production. That being said, coal seems to be the worst offender in terms of pollution so I can't really get behind coal expansion. I don't believe the US needs, nor should, turn to coal expansion for energy production.

Nuclear should also be an option but there are so many hurdles here (and not just regulatory) - cost being a major driver in the stalling of nuclear expansion.
I did some patent work for a catalyst company on some "clean-coal" (no laughing) that did a good job of cleaning up the emissions from coal fired plants. But coal is such a toxic word to the green crowd, it's a non-starter. Totally agree on nuclear. And for the record, I'm very pro-EV and alternative sources of energy, but not as the only option for new energy sources.

Bingo.

Hydro is the great unmentioned, along with some smaller contributors like the "renewable natural gas" project Dominion Resources and Smithfield Farms put together which generated electricity from turning methane into CO2, a less damaging greenhouse gas (the Thunder Dome solution, lol). And I believe groups are still advocating the breeching of the Snake River hydro dams in the Pacific Northwest.

Reactions: Ty Webb

Exactly l, it was a balance article and why I wrote what I did.

I agree with all you say but no need for coal in the US. We have plenty of natural gas which is cheaper and better for the environment. Get SMR going too. More building will lead to lower cost.

Exactly l, it was a balance article and why I wrote what I did.

I agree with all you say but no need for coal in the US. We have plenty of natural gas which is cheaper and better for the environment. Get SMR going too. More building will lead to lower cost.
One problem with natural gas, is some are very adverse/scared of the explosion risk. In some California locales, natural gas in new construction is not permitted. I don't share the aversion, and agree it is cleaner than coal.

@jtung230 Uh oh:

Maybe Ford is trying to jump on the CT bandwagon?

Had to do a long road trip today and use the EA SC. Seems to be an issue with the 350kw ultra fast chargers. Could not get it to work but the 150kw was working fine.

@jtung230 Uh oh:

Maybe Ford is trying to jump on the CT bandwagon?

• Haha
Saw a CT at night for the first time last night. Out on a pitch dark highway through no man's land, so it might have been exacerbated, but damn is that light bar obnoxious.

Somehow, my opinion of the thing keeps getting lower and lower.

Saw a CT at night for the first time last night. Out on a pitch dark highway through no man's land, so it might have been exacerbated, but damn is that light bar obnoxious.

Somehow, my opinion of the thing keeps getting lower and lower.
I confess that if I had the disposable income and the Mrs was on board, I would buy one for the novelty factor.

For the non-Tesla crowd- another reason not to buy a Tesla. Cannot withstand the impact of a 1 lb bluefish dropped from the sky by a bird.

74498164007-img-1734.jpg

Reactions: RUDead
  • Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT