ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

Not really showstoppers... but additional evidence of shoddy workmanship
I'm wondering when the CT will be recalled to correct the "psychologically damaging ugliness".

To be fair, it seems a lot of manufacturers are going through a rough patch of post-sales issues, recalls and so forth. Not really sure why, although many speculate it's due to post-pandemic, supply-chain and inflation-driven cost-cutting measures. Which would make sense, if true.

Porsche is having some quality control issues surfacing more than in the past. Mercedes and BMW too, from what's being said on Rennlist. I've got a recall on the GT3 to have checked out - the front and rear glass may not be properly attached. But the test itself can break the lightweight glass, so I'm deferring till winter since it can take awhile to get the replacement glass at the moment.

I'm wondering when the CT will be recalled to correct the "psychologically damaging ugliness".

To be fair, it seems a lot of manufacturers are going through a rough patch of post-sales issues, recalls and so forth. Not really sure why, although many speculate it's due to post-pandemic, supply-chain and inflation-driven cost-cutting measures. Which would make sense, if true.

Porsche is having some quality control issues surfacing more than in the past. Mercedes and BMW too, from what's being said on Rennlist. I've got a recall on the GT3 to have checked out - the front and rear glass may not be properly attached. But the test itself can break the lightweight glass, so I'm deferring till winter since it can take awhile to get the replacement glass at the moment.

Toyota's dead engine issue is particularly surprising.

Reactions: mildone
EV bros aren't going to like this one. Almost half of EV owners want to switch back to ICE vehicles. Ouch!

"He acknowledged that part of the problem is that charging stations are often hidden from view, leaving drivers struggling to find a place to plug in".
Never heard of the PlugShare or ABRP Apps or the fact most EV's will direct you to the next charging station.????
How many people would be able to charge at home and very rarely go on long trips?? Millions.

Toyota's dead engine issue is particularly surprising.
Yep. And is emblematic of what I was saying. Toyota has historically been very reliable, statistically. But it seems all the manufacturers are suddenly (by which I mean, in the past couple years or so) having all kinds of new car reliability problems.

Pretty much sucks for us consumers. If it is due to cost-cutting measures, I think maybe at least some manufacturers are experiencing a negative return with those cost-cutting measures.

For example, extrapolating out the MY24 complaints on Rennlist across various models and trims, I can't see how Porsche isn't experiencing a net loss with all the warranty work they're having to do, some of it for super expensive components (i.e. engines) or very high labor (i.e. tracing wiring harness issues and replacing the components in which the harnesses live), and having to do buybacks and so forth. I mean, they're not losing money overall, but I'd be pretty surprised if they haven't already spent more on warranty repairs, and port hold repairs, and placating demanding customers w/cash and extended warranties, than they saved w/all their recent cost-cutting measures.

Plus, there's reputational impacts. To hear Mercedes owners talking about recent purchases, one would avoid buying one anytime soon. I would think it's the same for others, like Toyota - although Toyota is a volume seller so they get a bigger bang for the cost-cutting buck, I guess - the reputational math probably works different than for luxury manufacturers.

Reactions: fsg2
Turbos don't seem to have a long shelf life. Will be staying away from them when I get a new car.
One engine issue does not a trend make. Turbocharged engines can and do last a very long time and do a boatload of miles. Knowing how to properly drive turbocharged engines (which I find many folks don't know about) helps.

A few useful tips:

(1) Generally speaking, it's wise to not push the engine super hard at low revs. It's typically better to get up over 2500 to 3000 rpms (or more in some high-revving engines) before really pushing things. The pressure-buildup from the turbo(s) at low revs can sometimes, in some models, cause downstream problems in the ICE. This can be especially problematic at highway speeds where the golden rule (and not just in turbos) is to downshift to pass (modern automatic transmissions quickly do this themselves to protect the engine).

(2) It's wise to always let a turbocharged engine heat it's engine oil close to it's operating temperature before beating on the engine. Because the turbo(s) typically require lots of lubrication and cold engine oil doesn't provide all the lubrication necessary. And skipping oil changes is a bad idea that can lead to blowing a turbocharger and having to replace it.

(3) With a turbocharged engine, the engine break-in period is pretty critical to the engine's longevity. Some people ignore the break-in period and instructions. Never a good idea, but that's even more true for turbocharged engines.

One engine issue does not a trend make. Turbocharged engines can and do last a very long time and do a boatload of miles. Knowing how to properly drive turbocharged engines (which I find many folks don't know about) helps.

A few useful tips:

(1) Generally speaking, it's wise to not push the engine super hard at low revs. It's typically better to get up over 2500 to 3000 rpms (or more in some high-revving engines) before really pushing things. The pressure-buildup from the turbo(s) at low revs can sometimes, in some models, cause downstream problems in the ICE. This can be especially problematic at highway speeds where the golden rule (and not just in turbos) is to downshift to pass (modern automatic transmissions quickly do this themselves to protect the engine).

(2) It's wise to always let a turbocharged engine heat it's engine oil close to it's operating temperature before beating on the engine. Because the turbo(s) typically require lots of lubrication and cold engine oil doesn't provide all the lubrication necessary. And skipping oil changes is a bad idea that can lead to blowing a turbocharger and having to replace it.

(3) With a turbocharged engine, the engine break-in period is pretty critical to the engine's longevity. Some people ignore the break-in period and instructions. Never a good idea, but that's even more true for turbocharged engines.

That sounds like a lot of work. Reliability is my number one issue with cars so they just aren't for me.

It's not just one engine issue. I know two people that got rid of their turbos (neither were Toyotas) recently because of too many issues. You are seeing a lot of these cars crap out at 90K miles.

CAFE standards are pushing manufacturers to use Turbos more and while they may be a good fit for high performance cars but for most cars I think a traditional V6 works much better.

Yep. And is emblematic of what I was saying. Toyota has historically been very reliable, statistically. But it seems all the manufacturers are suddenly (by which I mean, in the past couple years or so) having all kinds of new car reliability problems.

Pretty much sucks for us consumers. If it is due to cost-cutting measures, I think maybe at least some manufacturers are experiencing a negative return with those cost-cutting measures.

For example, extrapolating out the MY24 complaints on Rennlist across various models and trims, I can't see how Porsche isn't experiencing a net loss with all the warranty work they're having to do, some of it for super expensive components (i.e. engines) or very high labor (i.e. tracing wiring harness issues and replacing the components in which the harnesses live), and having to do buybacks and so forth. I mean, they're not losing money overall, but I'd be pretty surprised if they haven't already spent more on warranty repairs, and port hold repairs, and placating demanding customers w/cash and extended warranties, than they saved w/all their recent cost-cutting measures.

Plus, there's reputational impacts. To hear Mercedes owners talking about recent purchases, one would avoid buying one anytime soon. I would think it's the same for others, like Toyota - although Toyota is a volume seller so they get a bigger bang for the cost-cutting buck, I guess - the reputational math probably works different than for luxury manufacturers.

Probably different overall from lux brands, but Toyota's bulletproof rep for reliability, especially for truck and SUV owners, is pretty central to success in that market and why it has that global rep.

Agree it should be a blip, if it fixes the prob right off. Not long ago we were talking miĺlion mile Tundra engines far morethan problems.

The unintential acceleration trouble of 2009-ish hurt but only for a couple years, if that.

Reactions: mildone
Their quality has slipped a lot. They used to be a great company.

As above, I'm with Mildone in thinking it's more a temp rough patch. Not a great platform to have it happen to, tho. Hopefully it rights things sooner than later, especially 'cause I'm looking hard at that new Land Cruiser

As above, I'm with Mildone in thinking it's more a temp rough patch. Not a great platform to have it happen to, tho. Hopefully it rights things sooner than later, especially 'cause I'm looking hard at that new Land Cruiser
IDK. I have no dog in the fight. Toyota was once the quality standard of the entire industry The Toyota Production System was based (at least in part) on WE Deming's teachings, a widely respected quality guru.

Reactions: fsg2
IDK. I have no dog in the fight. Toyota was once the quality standard of the entire industry The Toyota Production System was based (at least in part) on WE Deming's teachings, a widely respected quality guru.

Funny, I read a bit about that recently and how it catapulted the Japanese autos right past Americans in terms of QC and brand reliability. Fascinating stuff, especially since Deming went to Americans first, iirc, and they dismissed it.

Serious long game that paid off. Adding to that, Japanese manufacturing at large is the most trusted in the world now directly because of that.

Thanks for the link, will check it out.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Funny, I read a bit about that recently and how it catapulted the Japanese autos right past Americans in terms of QC and brand reliability. Fascinating stuff, especially since Deming went to Americans first, iirc, and they dismissed it.

Serious long game that paid off. Adding to that, Japanese manufacturing at large is the most trusted in the world now directly because of that.

Thanks for the link, will check it out.

If you want to dig deeper "The Reckoning" by David Halberstam. Published 40 years ago but right on target.

Slightly off topic but after telling advertisers to eff off a year ago, apparently Musk is slumming around ad agency conferences to try to get small and mid-sized companies to advertise on X. I mean who couldn't see that coming?

Back to EVs, a buddy has an order in on a Polestar 3. Looks like a nice looking EV SUV but at $80K? Hmmmmm...........

Reactions: Knight Shift
"He acknowledged that part of the problem is that charging stations are often hidden from view, leaving drivers struggling to find a place to plug in".
Never heard of the PlugShare or ABRP Apps or the fact most EV's will direct you to the next charging station.????
How many people would be able to charge at home and very rarely go on long trips?? Millions.
It’s great that places like Ca are cutting nuclear energy that could actually fuel these monstrosities.

It was illustrated perfectly last summer. One day after Gavin Hair Gel announcing Ca is going all EV, he asked people not to use electricity due to the grid not being able to handle AC.

• Haha
Reactions: RUTGERS95
It’s great that places like Ca are cutting nuclear energy that could actually fuel these monstrosities.

It was illustrated perfectly last summer. One day after Gavin Hair Gel announcing Ca is going all EV, he asked people not to use electricity due to the grid not being able to handle AC.

Still spouting lies about California’s energy grid.

LOL.

I was reminded why I like EVs last week. Took my ICE minivan for service and ended up spending $800. The biggest culprit was transmission fluid replacement for $360. Why does a minivan need 9 speed with paddle shifters? On top of that, I got an emission system problem warning yesterday.

I was reminded why I like EVs last week. Took my ICE minivan for service and ended up spending $800. The biggest culprit was transmission fluid replacement for $360. Why does a minivan need 9 speed with paddle shifters? On top of that, I got an emission system problem warning yesterday.
9 gears is okay, but yeah, the paddles seem a bit much in a minivan. I wonder if anybody ever uses them, outside a test to just see what it’s like. Are there many EV minivans?

9 gears is okay, but yeah, the paddles seem a bit much in a minivan. I wonder if anybody ever uses them, outside a test to just see what it’s like. Are there many EV minivans?
It's OK maybe, but is it necessary?

My buddies Ram also costs a fortune to change the transmission fluid.

This is the price of ICE efficiency though I guess.

It's OK maybe, but is it necessary?

My buddies Ram also costs a fortune to change the transmission fluid.

This is the price of ICE efficiency though I guess.
My Cayenne has only 8 gears. Some automatic transmission cars have 10 gears. So… strictly necessary, no. But there are reasons for the various choices. Are they good reasons? That’s a matter of opinion I guess.

Depending on the car in question, changing oil or trans fluid is a pretty easy job. And DIY can save a lot of money over time.

But yeah, dealerships make a lot of money on servicing the vehicles they sell. Helps the economy. 😁

Reactions: RU-05
@Knight Shift

My adapter is still has an est delivery in June. SMH. My reservation is close to 13k. Think I read on the forum they are at 7k.
Well, I'm over 14,000, so at least you are ahead of me!
And, yep (can't fix stupid- from their website):

"Est. ship byJune 2024Order Placed: 2/29/2024"

I left corporate life for a good reason. I just have to live with my own stupidity during the day.

Well, I'm over 14,000, so at least you are ahead of me!
And, yep (can't fix stupid- from their website):

"Est. ship byJune 2024Order Placed: 2/29/2024"

I left corporate life for a good reason. I just have to live with my own stupidity during the day.
Read September is the new June

So we've been toying around with getting a Kia EV9 (I've been waffling on an EV for awhile now, coming close to leasing a Ariya but decided the size wasn't big enough for us).

Because of my own stupidity I waited and just realized that starting today, apparently, not only do I have to pay 4 years of regular registration (like $199) which I have long accepted as standard practice, apparently now I also have to prepay four years of the EV tax, which is $1000 total. That adds like $40 bucks to the lease payment, which in the grand scheme of things isn't the end of the world, but.............

I get the logic behind the EV tax given roads are fixed/maintained through gas taxes, but prepaying 4 years of this (especially when it's a two year lease)? LOL, GTFO............. Make it an annual fee paid once a year. Like Virginia has a property tax you pay on cars, just bill EV drivers the EV tax annually.

So we've been toying around with getting a Kia EV9 (I've been waffling on an EV for awhile now, coming close to leasing a Ariya but decided the size wasn't big enough for us).

Because of my own stupidity I waited and just realized that starting today, apparently, not only do I have to pay 4 years of regular registration (like $199) which I have long accepted as standard practice, apparently now I also have to prepay four years of the EV tax, which is $1000 total. That adds like $40 bucks to the lease payment, which in the grand scheme of things isn't the end of the world, but.............

I get the logic behind the EV tax given roads are fixed/maintained through gas taxes, but prepaying 4 years of this (especially when it's a two year lease)? LOL, GTFO............. Make it an annual fee paid once a year. Like Virginia has a property tax you pay on cars, just bill EV drivers the EV tax annually.
That's not how things work in NJ.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT