ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Electric vehicles

Thread on Lightning forum discussing experience of Tesla owners now owning F150 Lightning in addition to Tesla.

Overall, very positive reviews of the Lightning. Biggest gripe is the software is not as snappy as the Tesla.

For a hood that opens when it shouldn't? That's a little troubling. The reliance of software for something that should be mechanically impossible.
It doesn’t open when it shouldn’t. If left open, the car/software isn’t recognizing it and alerting like it should

Reactions: mildone
@jtung230 did you get the e-mail. Free Tesla adapters delayed until September. Not going to complain-it's free, but a bit of a bummer.

Look at this poor guy from the Lightning Forums:
1722520496068-jx-png.87117

1722520554622-kq-png.87118

1722478197284-8b-png.87103

Yes, but was already told that Sept is the new June before.
The reactions on the Lightning forum are mostly like a kid who did not get what they wanted for their birthday--temper tantrums. Like the bumper sticker says: Shit Happens. Maybe it should also say Deal With It. But I do feel for those that drive a lot and want/need the additional access to the Tesla network.

The reactions on the Lightning forum are mostly like a kid who did not get what they wanted for their birthday--temper tantrums. Like the bumper sticker says: Shit Happens. Maybe it should also say Deal With It. But I do feel for those that drive a lot and want/need the additional access to the Tesla network.
It’s frustrating for people that rely on SC. I did a long road trip a few weeks back and recharged at a Wawa that had EA and Tesla. EA had a line and Tesla had many open spots.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I am loving that idea of rolling diesel generator/fast-chargers. Do they have batteries too? Will they be running the generator while towing it? What about a long flatbed that can charge up an EV while transporting it a little farther down the road?

I don’t understand the math on public charging stations - I was in Beach Haven LBI and figured I would charge my hybrid. First of all, the number of EV charging stations is a joke especially when some a-hole parks a golf cart in one of the six local spaces (hope he got a ticket). Second, this particular station was $3 p/hr for 3.3 KW and then goes up to $6 p/hr after 2 hours of charging. In order to hit my max 50 EV miles charging would have taken almost 9 hours. I think that’s like $1 per EV mile and I’d have to leave my car plugged in all day. I did find another station that was 6.6 KW but even then with the price doubling after 2 hours I think it still comes out to roughly $0.50 per EV mile. Public charging in this country is a mess and EV adoption will take forever until battery and charging tech dramatically improves. Towns and cities are not going to rip apart streets and sidewalks not to mention charging companies have no incentives to improve charging when they ring the register the longer they keep you parked there. Long live Hybrids and ICE!

I don’t understand the math on public charging stations - I was in Beach Haven LBI and figured I would charge my hybrid. First of all, the number of EV charging stations is a joke especially when some a-hole parks a golf cart in one of the six local spaces (hope he got a ticket). Second, this particular station was $3 p/hr for 3.3 KW and then goes up to $6 p/hr after 2 hours of charging. In order to hit my max 50 EV miles charging would have taken almost 9 hours. I think that’s like $1 per EV mile and I’d have to leave my car plugged in all day. I did find another station that was 6.6 KW but even then with the price doubling after 2 hours I think it still comes out to roughly $0.50 per EV mile. Public charging in this country is a mess and EV adoption will take forever until battery and charging tech dramatically improves. Towns and cities are not going to rip apart streets and sidewalks not to mention charging companies have no incentives to improve charging when they ring the register the longer they keep you parked there. Long live Hybrids and ICE!
When I first got my Tesla and was staying in Lbi for the summer I tried those chargers. They almost seem to be a novelty, like “hey we have public charging in Lbi” than an actual charging solution. Thankfully there’s a supercharger at the parkway and 72, so that area is now covered.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I have a 2018 model 3 and with the 1.99% financing offer… am mildly curious if jumping to the 2024 is worth it. Anyone else have an older 3 that made the jump to the refreshed model 3?

This is inevitable. Even if way safer then human drivers there will be accidents, and people will sue, as they do with human driver accidents.

Question is: How do the courts reward the victims in an autopilot accident?

This is inevitable. Even if way safer then human drivers there will be accidents, and people will sue, as they do with human driver accidents.

Question is: How do the courts reward the victims in an autopilot accident?
It would be juries deciding and presumably, the plaintiff will sue everyone they can, auto manufacturer, and software makers involved, the driver, same as with human drivers and no automated driver. Not sure what kind of legal challenges this presents, but we’ll surely find out in time.

It would be juries deciding and presumably, the plaintiff will sue everyone they can, auto manufacturer, and software makers involved, the driver, same as with human drivers and no automated driver. Not sure what kind of legal challenges this presents, but we’ll surely find out in time.
I wonder if the juries reward victims millions upon millions because it is a corporation, as opposed to a civilian that they are suing.

I think covered a similar situation with Atlantic City. There is limited real estate on LBI. Why clog it up with public chargers ? Just like with Atlantic City, there are multiple options where you exit the Parkway and Route 9. As we discussed before, proper planning is key. That county is red as red gets, and there are idiots that have unfounded and stupid bias against EVs. They could be part of the solution instead of running their mouths and being part of the problem. Anyway, most EV owners in Ocean County will probably have home charging, especially those wealthy enough to own a second home on LBI. Again, proper planning is key when you make a purchase of a vehicle.

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
I’m retired now, but was a transportation planner in both the public and private sectors. Davis is a great college town. Definitely the kind of place you can feel safe for your daughter.
I hope not in Ca. Transportation here is a disaster on every level.

I think covered a similar situation with Atlantic City. There is limited real estate on LBI. Why clog it up with public chargers ? Just like with Atlantic City, there are multiple options where you exit the Parkway and Route 9. As we discussed before, proper planning is key. That county is red as red gets, and there are idiots that have unfounded and stupid bias against EVs. They could be part of the solution instead of running their mouths and being part of the problem. Anyway, most EV owners in Ocean County will probably have home charging, especially those wealthy enough to own a second home on LBI. Again, proper planning is key when you make a purchase of a vehicle.
What I’m talking about has nothing to do with planning. This is lunacy = 3.3 KW and 6.6 KW at public charging stations when you have to leave your car for 4.5-9 hours simply to accumulate 50 EV miles at a cost of $0.50-1.00 per EV mile. They could put 1000 charging stations in LBI but anyone that can do math will realize the charging cost is astronomical. I keep saying my next car is an EV - not if the battery tech and charging situation doesn’t improve.

What I’m talking about has nothing to do with planning. This is lunacy = 3.3 KW and 6.6 KW at public charging stations when you have to leave your car for 4.5-9 hours simply to accumulate 50 EV miles at a cost of $0.50-1.00 per EV mile. They could put 1000 charging stations in LBI but anyone that can do math will realize the charging cost is astronomical. I keep saying my next car is an EV - not if the battery tech and charging situation doesn’t improve.
Respectfully disagree. It has everything to do with planning when one buys an EV. For example, we would not have purchased an EV without installation of a home charger because the charging infrastructure in our area is not very good.

You can charge at the Tesla Supercharger with 250 kW chargers. A model 3 would charge from 20 to 80% in 15 minutes for $16, adding 214 miles of range. That's less expensive than adding 214 miles to a gas powered vehicle that has a fuel efficiency of 30 mpg with gas at $3 per gallon.

But you seem to want to force yourself into difficult charging situations to make your point.

This is the equivalent of Rutgers scheduling only Michigan and Ohio State each season 6 times each and concluding that Rutgers will never win a Big 10 football game. Yes, a silly example, but the point is you are making a case out of forcing yourself into a worst case situation.

But you seem to want to force yourself into difficult charging situations to make your point.
Force myself into difficult charging situations?! The point I’m making has nothing to do with charging availability or planning - it has everything to do with math and basic finance. If towns install public chargers with 3.3KW-6.6KW and people have to pay $0.50-1.00 per EV mile you can forget about any meaningful adoption. For the record, I’m pro-EV…wife had a deposit on the Volvo EX-90 for close to 2 years. We both drive hybrids. But ICE vehicles are never, ever, going to be replaced by EVs unless the Gov’t or private sector makes a massive investment into infrastructure and charging tech.

The sensors already aren’t there, there’s nothing to cut.
Didn’t there used to be LiDAR sensors in Teslas, or some other type? And at some point several years back, Musk made a big show of eliminating all but the cameras, saying they were all that was needed (which appears not to be, so much)?

Never mind, I looked it up myself. And yes, I recalled it correctly. And apparently Tesla has been stocking up on LiDAR sensors more recently which implies that Musk was wrong. But in the meantime, Tesla saved some money by eliminating the other, apparently necessary, components.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT