10. Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year....Andy Williams

Worst: Dominick the Donkey, All I Want for Christmas Mariah Carey,

Last edited:
White Christmas
Jingle bells
Rock around the Christmas tree
Hot chocolate (from polar express)

I like bac's list except for #3 & #6.

Add Bruce's "Santa Clause is Coming to Town", Sinatra's entire Christmas Album, Johnny Mathis' "The Christmas Song", and Straight No Chaser's "12 Days of Christmas" and I'm in.

Yellin' at the Xmas Tree - Billy Idol
This Time of Year - Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Christmas Must Be - Robbie Robertson
The Season's Upon Us - Dropkick Murphy's

Christmas in Hollis and Oh Tannenbaum, Nat King Cole version.

Christmas Eve Sarajevo by the Trans Siberian Orchestra
Christmas Wrapping by The Waitresses
2000 Miles by The Pretenders
Linus and Lucy (Peanuts Theme Song) by Vince Guaraldi
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town by Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth by David Bowie and Bing Crosby
Father Christmas by The Kinks
I Believe in Father Christmas by Greg Lake
The Lord's Bright Blessing from "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol"
Little Drummer Boy by the Harry Simeone Chorale
White Christmas by Bing Crosby
Sleigh Ride by the Ronettes
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow! by Dean Martin

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Little Drummer Boy - Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
Snoopy's Christmas - Royal Guardsmen
Last Christmas - Wham!
A Holly, Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives
White Christmas - Bing Crosby
Please Come Home For Christmas - Eagles
Christmas Eve/Sarajevo - Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Blue Christmas - Elvis Presley
Another Rock n' Roll Christmas - Gary Glitter
Little Saint Nick - Beach Boys
All Alone On Christmas - Darlene Love
Christmas In Killarney - Bing Crosby

Reactions: RUgrad75
You just can't beat Bing Crosby singing White Christmas.

O Holy Night is great when sung by someone with a powerful voice.

Worst songs: Santa Baby. And while I don't hate Baby It's Cold Outside, it seems like it's kinda about date rape, so that's weird.

My new favorite. Every year The Killers write a Christmas song. This was their 2014 song.

Lotta good ones on here. Home Alone soundtrack has a lot of great ones.

Run Run Rudolph - Chuck Berry was one of my faves

There's a link over on Drudge for a petition to ban "White Christmas" for its exclusionary racial content.The petition was circulated on an unidentified campus.

These kids need a badaBING.

Christmas Must be Tonight - The Band
Merry Xmas Everybody - Slade
Merry Christmas from the Family - Robert Earl Keen
On of Everything You've Got - Buck Owens
Snoopy's Christmas (Christmas Bells) - Royal Guardsman
I want an Alien for Christmas - Fountains of Wayne
God rest ye Merry Gentlemen - Ronnie James Dio
Santa Claus Go Straight to the Ghetto - James Brown
Seasons Upon Us - Dropkick Murphys

Father Christmas by The Kinks is my all-time favorite non-traditional Christmas song. My "new" favorite, meaning it was released within the past five years, is this one by the Dropkick Murphys. A great singalong with hilarious lyrics.

I really enjoy this one by Robert Earl Keen, too.

As for Christmas songs, I like a lot of those mentioned, but man, some are getting old. Why are there so few newer songs? And I don't mean cover versions of the same old songs. One of my current favorites is the Julian Casablancas version of the SNL Christmas song called Christmas Treat, although its use in the Acura commercials will likely make me sick of it soon.

I'm sorry to do this to you, each year, but here is a link to my favorite collection of Xmas and Holiday-Inspired music, from Sufjan Stevens. He has a 5-disc "Songs for Christmas" collection. I'm not even part of that tribe, however I love great music, and when it comes to holiday songs, I'd much rather put this on than hear the same re-treads over and over again. These songs have outstanding vocal harmonies, great, layered instruments, and are some of the most creative approaches to well-known songs I've heard (especially if you're into the folky, singer-songwriter stuff). This has quite a few traditional songs done with a newer feel, plus a number of originals. If you give the entire collection a listen, you're bound to find a handful that will end up being your all-time favorites, and some that you really don't care for. (He's kind of hit-or-miss, that way). It's really nice to listen to it, in order, but I know there's not always time to do that.

My favorite tracks:
#38: Sister Winter
#41: Holy, Holy, Holy
#31: Joy to the World
#40: Star of Wonder
#42: The Winter Solstice
#35: Christmas in July

http://music.sufjan.com/album/songs-for-christmas

Dean Martin's Let It Snow. There's something about a smooth talking guy trying to con his way into a sleepover with his date on a cold snowy night. Deano, in his whimsical and laid back style, pulls it off brilliantly.

i'm 30 but this is a terrible list without anything from Bing Crosby, or Nat King Cole.... Those are iconic voices. They Each have at least 3 or 4 legendary Holiday songs.

Edit: I saw Crosby towards the bottom.

If you haven't seen this yet, it's pretty neat...

Ya know, I was just about to look that up and link it - good call!

Funny story about that - when I first moved out from my parents' and had my own place, the first Christmas party I threw I had 4 CD's of Christmas music, one of which was Billboard Greatest Christmas Hits: 1955-Present which had White Christmas by the Drifters. Anyway, I threw the 4 discs into my Sony 5 disc carousel and put it on shuffle. Now this was one of the original Sony machines, so its shuffle algorithm wasn't very good. Anyway, after a while it dawned on us that that version of White Christmas was playing every 4th song. Every time I hear that song now my mind goes back to that party.

My favorite happens to be the oldest:

O Come O Come Emmanuel
Today’s selection is possibly the oldest Christmas carol that is still in use. It is a Victorian translation (by John M. Neale, 1851) of a 12th-century Latin carol, which was in turn adapted from a set of 8th century monastic antiphons.​

O Come All Ye Faithful
Hark! The Herald Angels Sing
Silent Night
O Holy Night

Last edited:
I mostly dislike Christmas songs. But I like the Pentatonix version of Little Drummer Boy. (link to YouTube of the song). It's a cool, modern and different take on the song and it's extremely well engineered, sound-wise which I like.

[Edit] And I'm not just saying it 'cause the Pentatonix girl is, like, totally hot. I swear. It's a good song - give it a listen.

Reactions: ru75
I'm digging Tom Petty's "Christmas All Over Again" this year and I've been on an Eagles kick lately so "Please Come Home For Christmas" has been heavy in my rotation.

Most of the time I just dig "classics" (aka anything 40+ years old). I have a playlist of ~100 Christmas songs I love to whip out this time of year. Below are my current top 10 (5 new, 5 oldies) but this really changes year to year.

"Newer" Songs
Christmas All Over Again by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Please Come Home For Christmas by The Eagles
Winter Song by Sara Bareilles & Ingrid Michaelson
Christmas Lights by Coldplay
The Season's Upon Us by Dropkick Murphys

Oldies
A Holly Jolly Christmas by Burl Ives
Linus and Lucy by Vince Guaraldi Trio
Home For The Holidays by Perry Como
Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee
Mistletoe and Holly by Frank Sinatra

I really wish Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga would release "Baby It's Cold Outside" from those Barnes & Noble commercials. They perform a surprisingly great duet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT