ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Favorite Christmas Songs

While I can't name many Christmas songs I like, I can name some I hate. One in particular is that talentless hack, Springsteen's, rendition of Santa Clause is Coming to Town. Whenever I hear that song, I want to grab a rifle and climb a tower.

Reactions: hoquat63
While I can't name many Christmas songs I like, I can name some I hate. One in particular is that talentless hack, Springsteen's, rendition of Santa Clause is Coming to Town. Whenever I hear that song, I want to grab a rifle and climb a tower.
Blasphemy!! You might as well go root for Pitt or Cuse with that attitude :scream:

Blasphemy!! You might as well go root for Pitt or Cuse with that attitude :scream:
Ugh - just thinking about that song right now makes the hair on my neck stand up. I'm starting to feel the urge to hop in my 18 year old Suburban and mow down large groups of people. I would rather listen to nails on a chalkboard.

As said above anything Nat King Cole or Bing Crosby and the Mormon Tabernacle chior

I found this clip from the USAF band at the Smithsonian last year that have watch a few times already

Hmmm, just curious, does "Merry Christmas Baby" elicit the same response?
I take you're referring to the Springsteen version? I never heard it before. Just listened to this version on You Tube. Like most of Springsteen's stuff, I'd just as soon never hear it again, but it definitely doesn't elicit the same homicidal urges, no.

Mele Kalikimaka by Der Bingle and the Andrew Sisters. It's used perfectly in "Christmas Vacation".

Reactions: RU-AGK
does anyone find it incredibly odd that while radio stations will play Christmas music starting from the week before Thankgiving that they will completely shut off play it the day after Christmas. Its not like the season is over. The whole holiday season extends until January 1 filled with the festive atmosphere, I don't see why you would stop playing that music

Reactions: RUonBrain
does anyone find it incredibly odd that while radio stations will play Christmas music starting from the week before Thankgiving that they will completely shut off play it the day after Christmas. Its not like the season is over. The whole holiday season extends until January 1 filled with the festive atmosphere, I don't see why you would stop playing that music
I've always thought it was strange, too. The Radio City Christmas Spectacular doesn't shut down on Dec. 26. It runs until Jan. 3.

I thought WLTW-FM (106.7), New York runs its holiday format programming right through to New Year's Day.

My new favorite. Sung by my 16 year old daughter.

Oh Holy Night

P.S. Does anyone have any advice for a 16 year old who wants to get into the musical theater business?

Last edited:
I mostly dislike Christmas songs. But I like the Pentatonix version of Little Drummer Boy. (link to YouTube of the song). It's a cool, modern and different take on the song and it's extremely well engineered, sound-wise which I like.

[Edit] And I'm not just saying it 'cause the Pentatonix girl is, like, totally hot. I swear. It's a good song - give it a listen.
That was awesome!

Celine Dion's version of O Holy Night is incredible. Powerful, haunting, very moving. She's a weird egg, but she sings the poopie out of that song.

Some great ones here. Some other ones that I didn't already see mentioned that are staples on my list:

Jingle Bells - The Barking Dogs
Something About Christmastime - Brian Adams
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus - John Cougar Mellencamp
We Need a Little Christmas - Angela Lansbury
Same Old Lang Syne - Dan Fogelberg
LIttle Drummer Boy - David Bowie/Bing Crosby (Bob Seger has a nice version also)
The Christmas Waltz - Frank Sinatra
Rock and Roll Christmas - George Thorogood
Dominic the Donkey - Lou Monte
I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas
Holly Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives

1> White Christmas
2> O Holy Night
3> I Believe In Father Christmas....Greg Lake
4> O Tannenbaum auf Deutsch
5> Stille Nacht auf Deutsch
6> Little Drummer Boy

One I haven't seen yet: Snow (Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, and Vera Ellen from White Christmas)

Also, while Little Drummer Boy is not my favorite the Bing Crosby/David Bowie version is really good.

1. Christmas Wrapping....The Waitresses
2. Father Christmas.....The Kings
3. Anything by the Carpenters
4. I Believe In Father Christmas....Greg Lake
5. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas....The Pretenders
6. Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy...Various
7. Little Drummer Boy....David Bowie/Bing Crosby
8. Do They Know Its Christmas....Band Aid
9. Happy Christmas....Lennon/Ono
10. Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year....Andy Williams

Worst: Dominick the Donkey, All I Want for Christmas Mariah Carey,
Cannot argue with your top 10. Also like the Snoopy Christmas song.

Christmas is the time to say I love you - Billy Squier
Back when the original MTV VJ's used to have Christmas specials, this was one of the most entertaining in studio videos.

Home for the Holidays - Carpenters
Do You Hear What I Hear - Whitney
One Little Christmas Tree - Holiday Express

One I haven't seen yet: Snow (Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, and Vera Ellen from White Christmas)

Also, while Little Drummer Boy is not my favorite the Bing Crosby/David Bowie version is really good.
Even better than Bing & Bowie's, IMO:

1. Christmas Wrapping....The Waitresses
2. Father Christmas.....The Kings
3. Anything by the Carpenters
4. I Believe In Father Christmas....Greg Lake
5. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas....The Pretenders
6. Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy...Various
7. Little Drummer Boy....David Bowie/Bing Crosby
8. Do They Know Its Christmas....Band Aid
9. Happy Christmas....Lennon/Ono
10. Its the Most Wonderful Time of the Year....Andy Williams

Worst: Dominick the Donkey, All I Want for Christmas Mariah Carey,