ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gavin Wimsatt acclimating well to Kentucky Football

Who cares

Someone please find this pass play , I have photo but can’t paste TV screen shot

1:45 to go in 1stQ vs Ohio state

Rutgers WR has OSU DB beat by 5 yards and is also 5 yards to the left , horrendous pass that missed by 15 yards

Great kid
Great athlete
Missed 5 yard outs to RB

Who cares

Someone please find this pass play , I have photo but can’t paste TV screen shot

Rutgers WR has OSU DB beat by 5 yards and is also 5 yards to the left , horrendous pass that missed by 15 yards

Great kid
Great athlete
Missed 5 yard outs to RB
I think it's fairly interesting.

I hope he does well.

Thanks for posting. If he can correct old habits demonstrated at RU, maybe he can turn it around. But for now, sounds like old habits at new team.
This will be a fun thread.
It will be what it will be. Too early to tell, but the post quoted immediately above contradicts the NJ.com headline and IP title.
I think it's fairly interesting.

I hope he does well.
I do too. But @ClassOf02 's post sounds familiar and says a lot. I don't read the trash on NJ.com, but WTF with the OP title, acclimating well?

Who cares

Great kid
Great athlete
Missed 5 yard outs to RB
Not a QB. Not a threat to pass.

I remember his 1st career pass at Navy
100mph way over the head of WR
Rutgers section cheered at his arm strength

Was injured on Huge TD run to tie game at 14 vs VTech (aka Todd Pratt playoff walk off day)

Lol I saw this earlier and didn't want to post here. I searched Gavin Wimsatt on Twitter to see if it was just NJ.com click baiting but other publications are saying similar things. Want to point out the only way they are saying he has a chance is if the projected starter who's also a transfer struggles as a first time starter that hasn't started any games at this level; at that point Kentucky moves to a run focused offense lead by Gavin.

https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-wildcats/news/kentucky-football-fan-day-recap-offense/

Did GW connect on 3 long passes in his RU career? I'd love to know his deep throw percentage. It was brutal.

They were so bad that I wondered if the staff was instructing him to throw his deep throws out of bounds. It felt like we were pretending to be interested in passes over the top of the defense.

Rutgers passing game should be vastly improved this year, one reason is because of the upgrade at the WR position. We may have an elite player in Miller. Also Kaliakmanis does throw some good balls. Just have to be careful about interceptions.

Reactions: Scarlet83
"Gavin Wimsatt hitting Fred Farrier downfield today. The duo connected deep three times this afternoon."

Despite the strong day, Hale wrote that it is “still too early to say Wimsatt is a threat to (presumed starter Brock) Vandagriff’s job, but the throws Saturday at least offered hope he can be more than a running threat.”

“If Wimsatt can provide a more consistent passing threat than he has to date in his college career, that will make him even more dangerous as a change-of-pace quarterback in running packages,” Hale wrote.

That seems to be the plan for Wimsatt “at the very least,” according to offensive coordinator Bush Hamdan.

“I think that we are going to utilize him in a lot of those Wildcat-type situations,” Hamdan said Friday, per the Herald-Leader “He is a big, talented player. When you have the opportunity to see him at practice, you will see how dynamic of a player he is. So, a little bit of a wait‑and‑see on how that role goes.”

I always said a lanky kid with catapults for arms will naturally be a better long ball thrower (like Eli).
Alas RU dropped long passes (OL issues)
A running package for a high-ranked dual threat QB?
Luckily with GS and KC Rutgers was spared all that.

"Gavin Wimsatt hitting Fred Farrier downfield today. The duo connected deep three times this afternoon."

Despite the strong day, Hale wrote that it is “still too early to say Wimsatt is a threat to (presumed starter Brock) Vandagriff’s job, but the throws Saturday at least offered hope he can be more than a running threat.”

“If Wimsatt can provide a more consistent passing threat than he has to date in his college career, that will make him even more dangerous as a change-of-pace quarterback in running packages,” Hale wrote.

That seems to be the plan for Wimsatt “at the very least,” according to offensive coordinator Bush Hamdan.

“I think that we are going to utilize him in a lot of those Wildcat-type situations,” Hamdan said Friday, per the Herald-Leader “He is a big, talented player. When you have the opportunity to see him at practice, you will see how dynamic of a player he is. So, a little bit of a wait‑and‑see on how that role goes.”

I always said a lanky kid with catapults for arms will naturally be a better long ball thrower (like Eli).
Alas RU dropped long passes (OL issues)
A running package for a high-ranked dual threat QB?
Luckily with GS and KC Rutgers was spared all that.
And they weren’t close to the people thrown too either.

Rutgers passing game should be vastly improved this year, one reason is because of the upgrade at the WR position. We may have an elite player in Miller. Also Kaliakmanis does throw some good balls. Just have to be careful about interceptions.
There was a video from practice (yes I know, just practice) the other day of the new guy making a throw on the move we haven’t seen in a while here.

Reactions: Knight Shift
To be fair it won't take much to vastly improve a 46.6% career completion success.

Ray had seasons of 7-4 and 5-5-1 while here.

If there were as many bowls back then as there are now, he might have had two appearances.

Statistically, the other guy can’t even fold Ray’s socks. The dirty ones.

And if he really contributed at the position, as well as Ray did behind center, maybe the win total might have been better but it seems the bowl location still would have been the same.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Did GW connect on 3 long passes in his RU career? I'd love to know his deep throw percentage. It was brutal.

They were so bad that I wondered if the staff was instructing him to throw his deep throws out of bounds. It felt like we were pretending to be interested in passes over the top of the defense.
We haven’t had a receiver capable of taking the top off the defense since Leonte Carroo. Wimsatt would have connected with Miller, imo.

I’m just happy to see that Gavin will have a role with Kentucky and will contribute some.

Ray had seasons of 7-4 and 5-5-1 while here.

If there were as many bowls back then as there are now, he might have had two appearances.

Statistically, the other guy can’t even fold Ray’s socks. The dirty ones.

And if he really contributed at the position, as well as Ray did behind center, maybe the win total might have been better but it seems the bowl location still would have been the same.
7-4 season was mostly Fortay , right ?

You really want to compare 5-5-1 to 7-6 in the BIG Ten East and winning a bowl game ?

Reactions: rutgersal
Evan Simon has a pretty good chance of being the starting QB for Temple, that will be fun to see what happens. QB controversy discussions are the best 😂

You really want to compare 5-5-1 to 7-6 in the BIG Ten East and winning a bowl game ?
Don’t forget 4-7 in 1995. To be fair, Ray did not have the supporting cast that Gavin did, as the talent that Graber recruited was petering out.
Hadn’t previously realized that Graber got 6 years at Rutgers. He deserved to get whacked. Problem is, we replaced him with the WOAT hire.

Also, Gavin is going to get better.

No . His career is better than Lucas and he’s a hall of famer
So you're predicting that Gavin will be in the NFL as a QB and be a starter.
Old school line. "Gavin couldn't hold Ray Lucas jock!" 😂
How was Gavin a better QB the Ray Lucas?

Don’t forget 4-7 in 1995. To be fair, Ray did not have the supporting cast that Gavin did, as the talent that Graber recruited was petering out.
Hadn’t previously realized that Graber got 6 years at Rutgers. He deserved to get whacked. Problem is, we replaced him with the WOAT hire.

Also, Gavin is going to get better.
Cmon man . Presley, Willis , battaglia, Brantley . Aren’t all of those guys Hal of famers ?

We haven’t had a receiver capable of taking the top off the defense since Leonte Carroo. Wimsatt would have connected with Miller, imo.

I’m just happy to see that Gavin will have a role with Kentucky and will contribute some.
"Contribute some" or win the Heisman?

And last year’s success was mostly #5 along with an emerging defense.

Again, if there were more bowl games Rutgers gets to at least one. That’s the first part.

The second part are the statistics. Which aren’t even close.

Ray Lucas > Gavin Wimsatt with regard to their prospective careers while here.

Bottom line…if you had to choose, which one would you pick? The answer is obvious.

Last edited:
So you're predicting that Gavin will be in the NFL as a QB and be a starter.
Old school line. "Gavin couldn't hold Ray Lucas jock!" 😂
How was Gavin a better QB the Ray Lucas?
Not predicting that.

But Gavin was a bigger winner at RU than hall of famer Ray Lucas was. Are you even debating that !?

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
And last year’s success was mostly #5 along with an emerging defense.

Again, if there were more bowl games Rutgers gets to at least one. That’s the first part.

The second part are the statistics. Which aren’t even close.

Ray Lucas > Gavin Wimsatt with regard to their prospective careers while here.
What are you talking about ? Rutgers was not going to any bowl game at 5-5-1 no matter how many bowl games there were
We weren’t bowl eligible.
Ray played so bad a a senior he got his coach fired

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT