ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gavin Wimsatt acclimating well to Kentucky Football

Not predicting that.

But Gavin was a bigger winner at RU than hall of famer Ray Lucas was. Are you even debating that !?
Rutgers defense and special teams was a bigger winner than Gavin. I joke that that Plum is dumb most times now I believe it's real with your lack of knowledge how Rutgers won last year. 🙄
Funny how you bail on Gavin in the NFL 😂😂😂😂

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Don’t forget 4-7 in 1995. To be fair, Ray did not have the supporting cast that Gavin did, as the talent that Graber recruited was petering out.
Hadn’t previously realized that Graber got 6 years at Rutgers. He deserved to get whacked. Problem is, we replaced him with the WOAT hire.

Also, Gavin is going to get better.
you dont fix bad accuracy.Ask Mike Leach for the quote

The way I see it >Wimsatt will get playing time at Kentucky .
I'm not sure if he could win the starter job unless they fix his accuracy problem
If they do , Ky will be a team to look out for.

But the Wildcats probably will put in a Gavin package that would just like the Jabu package RU
liked to run in goal line situations.
Well did Lovelace ever attempt a pass at RU?
He was 9 for 31 and gaining 111 yards with 0 TD and I int for his RU career
In 2007 completed 7 of 23 for 69 yards
Rushed for a total of 423 yards / 112 carries and 4 TDs as as Scarlet Knight
Again, like passing, most of his statistics were made in 2007
82 carries 222 yards 4 TDs in 10 games
Career games come out to 20

What are you talking about ? Rutgers was not going to any bowl game at 5-5-1 no matter how many bowl games there were
We weren’t bowl eligible.
Ray played so bad a a senior he got his coach fired
We went at 5-7. Because there were a lot more opportunities.

Ray didn’t get his coach fired the same way Gavin isn’t the reason why we did what we did last year. We got there in spite of his play.

Again, if you had to choose who would you pick as your QB?

Rutgers defense and special teams was a bigger winner than Gavin. I joke that that Plum is dumb most times now I believe it's real with your lack of knowledge how Rutgers won last year. 🙄
Funny how you bail on Gavin in the NFL 😂😂😂😂
Since when does a guy’s NFL career matter when assessing his collegiate career ?
By your logic Tommy Frazier is awful
And aikman was better in college than Holloway !!! Oh dumb bus

We went at 5-7. Because there were a lot more opportunities.

Ray didn’t get his coach fired the same way Gavin isn’t the reason why we did what we did last year. We got there in spite of his play.

Again, if you had to choose who would you pick as your QB?
It’s not about me choosing . I know I got lots of board cred, but I am just comparing careers. One guy is in the hall of fame and the teams were awful . The other guy led rutgers to its second greatest season in BIG history . Those are just facts

• Haha
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
It’s not about me choosing . I know I got lots of board cred, but I am just comparing careers. One guy is in the hall of fame and the teams were awful . The other guy led rutgers to its second greatest season in BIG history . Those are just facts
Well as you said previously…if we’re just going on a college assessment on what we’ve seen from both, with our own two eyes, how the hell would you pick Gavin over Ray?

You don’t think if we had Ray Lucas under center we would have had a better chance for a better record?

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Well as you said previously…if we’re just going on a college assessment on what we’ve seen from both, with our own two eyes, how the hell would you pick Gavin over Ray?

You don’t think if we had Ray Lucas under center we would have had a better chance for a better record?
I didn’t say that . What I said was Gavin gets a lot of crap here and he had a better career or at least comparable to hall of famer Lucas . Hell even you are grasping at straws trying to defend Lucas. You want to give the fortay 7-4 year to Lucas and saying we would go to a bowl at 5 wins (which we wouldn’t, not possible ). Did you even watch that 7-4 team ?

QB play had very little to do with last year's success.
The running game made up for poor QB play and anyone who considers Gavin a better RU QB than RAy might have lost some of the "board "cred" he claims to have FOR making a "plum" ridiculous statement like that
:YesNo

Proof is in the pudding:
Ray Lucas College Stats, School, Draft, Gamelog, Splits | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Gavin Wimsatt College Stats, School, Draft, Gamelog, Splits | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Also Rutgers Big East record ( 11-20-1 )under Graber might have had a big REASON Doug WAS let go.
Overall play made that record and Lucas can't be blamed for RU bringing in the great Shea as the new HC

Maybe Wimsatt might look better when compared to Mike Stephans , Terry's main 1996 QB
Mike Stephans College Stats, School, Draft, Gamelog, Splits | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

Last edited:
Since when does a guy’s NFL career matter when assessing his collegiate career ?
By your logic Tommy Frazier is awful
And aikman was better in college than Holloway !!! Oh dumb bus
You are dumb because you think Gavin was a star on last year's team. That's insane!
So you are saying Gavin will become a Rutgers HOF? 😂😂😂😂😂
Another bad prediction!

I didn’t say that . What I said was Gavin gets a lot of crap here and he had a better career or at least comparable to hall of famer Lucas . Hell even you are grasping at straws trying to defend Lucas. You want to give the fortay 7-4 year to Lucas and saying we would go to a bowl at 5 wins (which we wouldn’t, not possible ). Did you even watch that 7-4 team ?
Not defending anyone.

But you’re telling me you would pick Gavin over Ray to be your QB?

Because that is the discussion and question as you brought it up in this thread.

Again, are you saying you’d rather have Gavin as your QB than Ray?

He didn’t lead anything. Number 5 led.

If anything Gavin was the road block that prevented any better possible success.

Not defending anyone.

But you’re telling me you would pick Gavin over Ray to be your QB?

Because that is the discussion and question as you brought it up in this thread.

Again, are you saying you’d rather have Gavin as your QB than Ray?

He didn’t lead anything. Number 5 led.

If anything Gavin was the road block that prevented any better possible success.
Why did you try to give Lucas credit for the 7-4 year ?

I said Gavin had arguably a better Rutgers career than a guy in our Hall of fame.

He was a star ? Lol !! He didn’t even start a whole season .
Some star that got benched and went 4-7
Ummm Gavin got benched and left. Damn you are stupid. Yes Ray Lucas was a star. I guess you weren't around in those days.

Why did you try to give Lucas credit for the 7-4 year ?

I said Gavin had arguably a better Rutgers career than a guy in our Hall of fame.
For the same reason you are giving Gavin credit…just like Gavin, Ray was on that 7-4 team too.

So why shouldn’t he get credit? Because they both contributed to about the same. Although statistically Ray did more positive to Gavin’s negatives.

So your argument is telling us you would rather have Gavin at the helm than Ray. And even if that’s not what you’re saying, how can you argue the tape (measure)? What did he do that Ray couldn’t have done better last year with Ray’s more accurate arm, a #5 to hand off to and a better defense?

You really don’t think we would have been better with Ray instead of Gavin at QB?

Reactions: Section124
Oh yeah what bowl game did Lucas win
It's funny, actually not, that are you are disparaging great former Rutgers players who never got to a bowl game because back in their day there wasn't 75 bowl games. Disgusting you're hatred from you of former players, especially when you are trying to defend the worst QB in Rutgers History. You used to be funny, now you're just a scumbag trying to get a laugh. Sad.

I have had issues with Wimsatt's play AND how we used him AND how we didn't "encourage" him by seeing what other QBs could do given his same opportunities.

However, I do think he is physically gifted and if he unlocks that last 20% he needs to be a competent QB he could be a real good D1 QB if not an NFL QB when all is said and done. But he won't get there if he doesn't fix some serious flaws and bad habits. Maybe the Kentucky coaches can get it done. Maybe GS being a defense-first coach prevented having an OC or QB coach that could call the type of offense that would allow Wimsatt to take risks more often and learn from them.

I don't know what it would take.. but I am rooting for the kid and his family and if can beat up on some of those SEC blue-bloods.. all the better!

Reactions: Jerseylegends
If he’s doing well in Kentucky that’s great for him. Doesn’t change what I saw here for 2 years with my own eyes. We needed a change. Sometimes a change is good for everybody.

He could always make some spectacular long ball throws. So no, it’s not surprising to hear he dazzled on a few of those playing with the second string unit. The issue is that the game isn’t conducive to those plays being your only real bread and butter. Gavin could not stop a bend but don’t break defense because he couldn’t complete simple short and medium route passes. It’s a rate limiting problem - because after one score in a game on a longer throw the D adjusts. Until I hear he’s taking strides in resolving this I assume it’s more of the same.

In this video Wimsatt completes all of his throws, maybe missed one. He still wears #2. There is even an ovation at 4:13 for the throw/catch. Having some good WRs helped a lot with his accuracy.

From full writeup of practice:

"Saturday was a better overall day for the UK offense with backup quarterback Gavin Wimsatt, who struggled mightily Friday, connecting on some deep balls and finding run lanes"

Wow - it’s amazing how things get exaggerated. So he was awful the day before lol? We all know he has a powerful arm and can connect on some long balls. Hes not connecting on multiple long balls a game though without fixing his short game. The field just doesn’t stay open for you - it doesn’t matter how strong your arm is - I don’t care who you are. To be successful and an every down QB, he has to learn to hit receivers in stride in the flats. If there are reports of him starting to do this, then I’ll be excited for him. It will mean he’s truly progressing. This report seems like more of the same to me.

You are dumb because you think Gavin was a star on last year's team. That's insane!
So you are saying Gavin will become a Rutgers HOF? 😂😂😂😂😂
Another bad prediction!
I never said he was a star. I always said the position needed to be upgraded whether that was a better Gavin or someone else.

He was not a good quarterback , but he did lead us to our second greatest season in our BIG history as a sophomore. The hate for the guy here is unreal. It’s not like this is Quarterback U as is proven by our hall of famers . If Gavin stayed and put up similiar numbers the next 2 years with 2 more bowl wins , he probably gets in our Hall of Fame . But based on his 2 years here, no he’s not a hall of famer.

In a new thread, just linked this video review of VTech fans talking their schedule and specifically the Rutgers game... but these guys think we were better off sticking with Wimsatt. They're wrong on that.. soooo...

In case time cue link does not work for you.. Rutgers is at 59:00

Last edited:
..Having some good WRs helped a lot with his accuracy.
Well.. that's obviously wrong.

Completion percentage, maybe. Unless you are saying good WRs get so wide open and are so much easier to see that a QB will be more accurate in his throws.

Others have pointed out having Dremel and JJ as top WRs really hurt GW.. but anyone watching our games should know how many times Dremel abused his body to give GW a completion where is inaccuracy should have given him an incomplete or a pick.

IMHO, we committed to GW for his legs but he could not run the RPO properly.. so, his value to us dropped significantly and we should have moved to an accurate non-dual-threat QB once we realized that.. which was probably 2 years ago.

He's "acclimating well to Kentucky?" That's nice. We'll see if he turns out to be anything but their second-strong quarterback. Even if he is second-string (which seems likely from the stories), he's home, and so transferring made sense.

Reactions: drewbagel423
In a new thread, just linked this video review of VTech fans talking their schedule and specifically the Rutgers game... but these guys think we were better off sticking with Wimsatt. They're wrong on that.. soooo...

In case time cue link does not work for you.. Rutgers is at 59:00
I don't understand how what these guys are saying seems like basic football knowledge. About rutgers' offense last year and how Wimsatt was a benefit. But so many people on this board act like he didn't contribute anything. I also would've thought Wimsatt and monangai rushing combo was a safer bet this year. But I think these guys are underestimating the growth of the skill players here. Once I understood that the team has some serious weapons now, you have to take the chance and see if you can bring in someone that can spread the ball around to them. I have faith in ak47 to get these guys the ball in space and let them make plays. As opposed to relying on QB run up the middle.

In this video Wimsatt completes all of his throws, maybe missed one. He still wears #2. There is even an ovation at 4:13 for the throw/catch. Having some good WRs helped a lot with his accuracy.

This is clearly an attempt to get get opposing defenses to not stack the box when Gavin comes in for his gadget package by doing some offseason PR disinformation to suggest that he's a passing threat.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
This is a pretty weak argument. I get your point that Gavin doesn't deserve to be bashed. But no need to create logic pretzels to defend that position.
I have posted this a million times on this board, but Lucas likely goes to three bowls during his time here if the current system existed back then. A million and one now.

If we get Lucas-level QB play this fall from AK, we will all be ecstatic as we go at least 8-4 if not better. Lucas's teams largely struggled on D (ask coach oug), not O.

If we get Lucas-level QB play this fall from AK, we will all be ecstatic as we go at least 8-4 if not better. Lucas's teams largely struggled on D (ask coach oug), not O.
Attrition due to academics and injuries as the seasons wore on.

He goes down as one of the greatest quarterbacks in Rutgers history
He accomplished more than hall of famers like Ray Lucas
While the numbers are true, a former player that we all respect recently told me that the problem with Gavin was not just his accuracy but that he did not have the head for the game. Not that he wasn’t smart or that the team did not like him, but he did not have the elite intense mindset to be an elite player.

Reactions: Plum Street
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT