ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gavin Wimsatt acclimating well to Kentucky Football

I don't understand how what these guys are saying seems like basic football knowledge. About rutgers' offense last year and how Wimsatt was a benefit. But so many people on this board act like he didn't contribute anything. I also would've thought Wimsatt and monangai rushing combo was a safer bet this year. But I think these guys are underestimating the growth of the skill players here. Once I understood that the team has some serious weapons now, you have to take the chance and see if you can bring in someone that can spread the ball around to them. I have faith in ak47 to get these guys the ball in space and let them make plays. As opposed to relying on QB run up the middle.

I do understand what you’ve been trying to say, but keep in mind that Kyle led the country in broken tackles. I think it goes both ways and your overestimating the extent of the impact that Gavin’s fake run pre-handoff benefitted Kyle relative to an alternative scheme. I guess we’ll find out soon enough. But yeah, I do get that this exact scheme would be a tougher sell with a less mobile QB. Certainly the fact that Gavin kept the ball himself 10+ times a game is what made that specific scheme plausible. But again, the reason we ran it so often and had Gavin run 10 pre set rush attempts behind Kyle’s blocking was because Gavin couldn’t complete passes that are generally deemed safe and reliable for most QBs that would usually complement a run game. That was a substitute and while it worked at times - it also limited us significantly. Gavin could throw a gorgeous looking long ball but typically it was a rehearsed play in the first drive of the game.

Reactions: Jerseylegends
I never said he was a star. I always said the position needed to be upgraded whether that was a better Gavin or someone else.

He was not a good quarterback , but he did lead us to our second greatest season in our BIG history as a sophomore. The hate for the guy here is unreal. It’s not like this is Quarterback U as is proven by our hall of famers . If Gavin stayed and put up similiar numbers the next 2 years with 2 more bowl wins , he probably gets in our Hall of Fame . But based on his 2 years here, no he’s not a hall of famer.
You just don't get it. Being a quarterback doesn't instantly make you a leader. And he wasn't one. The team won 7 games despite him at times. The defense and Kyle Monangai were the stars of 2023 with an honorary mention to special teams.
Add you go and put down a player who was much, much more talented in Ray Lucas. Shows your lack of knowledge about football.

Last edited:
You just don't get it. Being a quarterback doesn't instantly make you a leader. And he wasn't one. The team won 7 games despite him at times. The defense and Kyle Monangai were the stars of 2023 with an honorary mention to special teams.
Add you go and put down a player who was much, much more talented in Ray Lucas. Shows you a lack of knowledge about football.
Agree that most of last years success was based on Kyle and the defense . What I am saying this isn’t quarterback U. We have had plenty worse. And he accomplished some better things than some of our all time great quarterbacks . He gets credit for being the quarterback and captain on a bowl winning team. One of our hall of fame quarterbacks never played a whole season at rutgers and was captain on a team that imploded his senior year and the coach got fired.
The fascination in wanting to kill Gavin here is odd. Like you said being a quartback doesn’t instantly make you a leader. But his teammates voted him captain and the team had the second greatest Rutgers season in BIG history.
He did good enough here and now we have hopefully upgraded the position. Enjoy better QB days ahead !

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Agree that most of last years success was based on Kyle and the defense . What I am saying this isn’t quarterback U. We have had plenty worse. And he accomplished some better things than some of our all time great quarterbacks . He gets credit for being the quarterback and captain on a bowl winning team. One of our hall of fame quarterbacks never played a whole season at rutgers and was captain on a team that imploded his senior year and the coach got fired.
The fascination in wanting to kill Gavin here is odd. Like you said being a quartback doesn’t instantly make you a leader. But his teammates voted him captain and the team had the second greatest Rutgers season in BIG history.
He did good enough here and now we have hopefully upgraded the position. Enjoy better QB days ahead !
I'm not sure people want to kill Gavin but that's what occurs when folks try to use an article like this as proof that a wrong decision was made and AK is no better than what we had.

You're fascination of GW being better than Ray Lucas is insane. We never had a worse QB that played through 3 season including a full season. Are the waterboys better than Ray Lucas too as they were part of last years team? Your logic isn't logical.

The only thing I'll say is that our coaching staff was going to go with Athan, regardless. Schiano made mention of this in the "...Of the North" video that was posted last week. So, for those who are saying Gavin was good / is good / can be good, our coaching staff is going with someone presumably BETTER than that. That's all you need to know right there. Of course, our coaching staff has been wrong before. So, there's that.

All of that said, there's no doubt in my mind that any player can be better if they're provided more time, a different coaching staff, different players to play with, etc. So, the Gavin you might see this year (assuming he gets playing time this year) isn't exactly the Gavin you would've seen had he stayed here.

Like others have mentioned, I wish him the best. Now, let's move on.

In a new thread, just linked this video review of VTech fans talking their schedule and specifically the Rutgers game... but these guys think we were better off sticking with Wimsatt. They're wrong on that.. soooo...

In case time cue link does not work for you.. Rutgers is at 59:00
One thing these guys nailed is that the train horn at SHI sucks.

Your fascination of GW being better than Ray Lucas is insane. We never had a worse QB that played through 3 season including a full season. Are the waterboys better than Ray Lucas too as they were part of last years team? Your logic isn't logical.
The bus is chugging along slow.
I never said he was better . Did I ??

Not defending anyone.

But you’re telling me you would pick Gavin over Ray to be your QB?

Because that is the discussion and question as you brought it up in this thread.

Again, are you saying you’d rather have Gavin as your QB than Ray?

He didn’t lead anything. Number 5 led.

If anything Gavin was the road block that prevented any better possible success.
I wouldn’t want either as my QB.
But we don’t need to kill a guy that led us to our second best season in Rutgers BIG history . It’s not like we are quarterback U as the history shows

For the guys arguing with Plum Street, it is very simple. He is merely said that Wimsatt goes down as one of the greatest quarterbacks in Rutgers history, that he accomplished more than hall of famers like Ray Lucas. Totally based on the win record with Wimsatt running the offense in every single game. Plumb didn't say completion record, didn't say Lucas was bad, didn't say Wimsatt was good, didn't say anything outside of what he said. I think Plum is right from that viewpoint.

Reactions: Plum Street
Josh Allen says hello.
So what you may be saying is when an inaccurate QB is 25-28 years old and hires the right people at the professional level, accuracy can be improved? Apparently, Allen is still working on his accuracy issues.

"So Allen returned to working with Biometrek founder Chris Hess to map his throws, using 16 cameras that gave Allen a 3D digital blueprint of his throwing motion on every throw in the route tree. When Allen first went to Hess before the 2020 season, most of his throwing motion came in reverse, relying purely on arm strength.

After working with Hess, Allen went from completing 58.8% of his passes for 3,089 yards and 20 touchdowns in 2019 to 69.2%, 4544 yards and 37 touchdowns in 2020, still the best statistical season of his career."

But we don’t need to kill a guy that led us to our second best season in Rutgers BIG history . It’s not like we are quarterback U as the history shows
That doesn’t make sense.

Did you see Ray play here in person? If so, you don’t think he is an upgrade over Gavin?

@MADHAT1 showed us the stats. Just the completion percentage comparison is enough for me.

We get that last year, and while I think the Pinstripe was a forgone conclusion, I bet we have at least one more win.
For the guys arguing with Plum Street, it is very simple. He is merely said that Wimsatt goes down as one of the greatest quarterbacks in Rutgers history, that he accomplished more than hall of famers like Ray Lucas. Totally based on the win record with Wimsatt running the offense in every single game. Plumb didn't say completion record, didn't say Lucas was bad, didn't say Wimsatt was good, didn't say anything outside of what he said. I think Plum is right from that viewpoint.
He did say he wouldn’t pick either when the choice was presented.

That again doesn’t make sense with what @MADHAT1 showed us previously.

Winner winner!!

Reactions: Extra Point
Is anyone "killing" the guy? As someone pointed out, maybe it was NJ.com's headline and al's post title that was more than a little bit over the top. Frankly, I hope the young man improves and succeeds. If he succeeds, that does not mean Rutgers was the problem. It may be that it took him a long time for everything to click for him. Or maybe it was the setting. It's not easy to point the finger at any one thing. That's why there does not seem to be any use in staking out hard and fast positions on these things. Maybe I can't read the posts of someone who is killing the guy because I have a number of people on ignore.

Saying that he goes down as one of the greatest quarterbacks in Rutgers history because he got us to a bowl game is kind of silly since there are so many more bowl games now that it isnt even an impressive feat.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Who cares

Someone please find this pass play , I have photo but can’t paste TV screen shot

1:45 to go in 1stQ vs Ohio state

Rutgers WR has OSU DB beat by 5 yards and is also 5 yards to the left , horrendous pass that missed by 15 yards

Great kid
Great athlete
Missed 5 yard outs to RB
That play killed me

Winner winner!!
Wimsatt didn't accomplish the record. There is a whole team and different players made greater or lesser contributions. Was Dremmell better than Caroo because we had a better record this year? Obviously not. This is such silly logic to be arguing about.

Wimsatt didn't accomplish the record. There is a whole team and different players made greater or lesser contributions. Was Dremmell better than Caroo because we had a better record this year? Obviously not. This is such silly logic to be arguing about.
It's just that some just don't understand, the wins some are saying belong to Wimstatt forget to mention the real reason

Kyle Monangai​

Gavin did a great job: handing off to Kyle.
Also credit the D as well
Also Ray didn't have the type of D helping him and the offense keep the game close .
Gavin had the D keeping his accuracy problem from hurting as much as it could have when it came to the final score.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eagleton96

I’m completely on your side here but that’s a bad example. Caroo was the lead receiver on our inaugural BIG team that went 8-5 which was a better record and better season overall than last year.

Players flunking out got Graber fired. He probably lost the equivalent of an entire recruiting class to academics.
Graber got fired because Gruninger gave him no academic resources. I believe at that time, the football team had limited or no tutors. Now they have an entire army.

Reactions: angmo
That's like saying Wimsatt ranks with Scott Erney because his team won more games and went to a bowl game. Sorry but that's an idiotic way to rank QB's. You put Erney on last year's squad and you're looking at 10 wins.

I never said wimsatt was the better player

No, because Caroo was on a 9–3 team 😂

Graber got fired because Gruninger gave him no academic resources. I believe at that time, the football team had limited or no tutors. Now they have an entire army.
Graber got fired because he was a terrible coach, who failed to build a culture of winning and failed to ensure kids attended class. Even if Graber were given the resources, he wouldn’t have known what to do with them. He had 6 years to get the job done, and at the end of his tenure, he left Terry Shea a bare cupboard.

Schiano built our academic support system based on what he had learned at Penn State and Miami, and implemented a monitoring system to ensure kids attended class.

Graber got fired because he was a terrible coach, who failed to build a culture of winning and failed to ensure kids attended class. Even if Graber were given the resources, he wouldn’t have known what to do with them. He had 6 years to get the job done, and at the end of his tenure, he left Terry Shea a bare cupboard.

Schiano built our academic support system based on what he had learned at Penn State and Miami, and implemented a monitoring system to ensure kids attended class.
Schiano had a superior AD behind him in Bob Mulcahy.
Greg deserves appreciation for what he did, but I am fairly sure, Greg would give Bob M a huge amount of credit for the support that Graber lacked.

Schiano had a superior AD behind him in Bob Mulcahy.
Greg deserves appreciation for what he did, but I am fairly sure, Greg would give Bob M a huge amount of credit for the support that Graber lacked.
Big Bob would have fired Graber because he did not run a tight ship. But you’re right about Big Bobs support, which was key to accepting the job. Don’t think Greg accepts the job from Fred, because we were a Mickey Mouse operation. Also think Pernetti would have been a fantastic AD. But overall, Hobbs has been terrific. It’s not an easy job.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Big Bob would have fired Graber because he did not run a tight ship. But you’re right about Big Bobs support, which was key to accepting the job. Don’t think Greg accepts the job from Fred, because we were a Mickey Mouse operation. Also think Pernetti would have been a fantastic AD. But overall, Hobbs has been terrific. It’s not an easy job.
Right. Have always wondered if Flood would have done better with more support. No, he was not Greg, but with Bob and then Tim gone, and Julie screwing up and knifing him in the back, he resorted to cutting corners and silly antics to try to keep guys on the team. Hard to excuse his cutting corners. But when he had one year of support and a solid OC in Friedgen, 2014 was a good year for him. It fell apart quite quickly.

Reactions: rutgersal
Bad example.

I get it. I think you were on the right track though thinking of that era. Since it’s Plum, you should’ve gone with Kyle Flood instead - Plum loves to call him a dud. But he’s still the winningest RU football coach by a wide mile. If Gavin Wimsatt deserves accolades for being the QB and captain of a 7-6 team despite throwing for 47%, surely coach Flood must deserve a statue in his name for leading us to a 26-22 record. At least by the logic Plum himself put forth. It doesn’t matter what one thinks of Flood. It’s impossible argue that Flood should’ve done more than he did with what he had and not say the same thing about Gavin last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
The bus is chugging along slow.
I never said he was better . Did I ??
You certainly did. You made the stupid connection not me!
And a lot of true Rutgers fans on here agree with me. Your problem is you aren't a true Rutgers fan and your poor jokes make you look like an idiot on this thread.
The bus is rolling over you and backing up to run over you again 😂

Reactions: hoquat63
You certainly did. You made the stupid connection not me!
And a lot of true Rutgers fans on here agree with me. Your problem is you aren't a true Rutgers fan and your poor jokes make you look like an idiot on this thread.
The bus is rolling over you and backing up to run over you again 😂
You can’t kill a legend . Especially an old broken down bus 😝

You can’t kill a legend . Especially an old broken down bus 😝
Is Plum getting thrown under the bus?

yXIFSF.gif

Just stop. To Schianos credit he demanded the resources but he had far more advantages than Graber. Not even worth a discussion

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT