ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gavin Wimsatt acclimating well to Kentucky Football

But now, he’s a .500 coach .....
I chuckle when anyone points this out. Greg took two putrid teams and struggled for 3 years each time until he built the program back to respectability. Subtract the records of those 6 years and what is his winning %? That's a silly way to justify your argument and it actually backfires against you.
Georgia xfer Vandergraff named starting QB at Kentucky.

Wimsatt OR freshman Foley listed as number 2.

I'll say it again. Wimsatt should move to TE. QB isn't for him.

Not usually a good look when a tall, skinny, TRUE FRESHMAN is battling you for the backup spot.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I know you were a great secretary !! You probably told freddy boy to hire dick Anderson and tell the BIF East we don’t want to play in your basketball conference !
Did secretaries use typewriters back then? Did you type “hire Craig “??? Or Braun won’t win coach of year on that typewriter ??

Maybe he told Fred to hire Tom Young in 1973 right after moving up from assistant AD to AD.
Was that a bad hire?
Could the Bus have made Fred hire another Fred (Fred Hill Sr.)
Gruninger oversaw the upgrading of facilities. Under his leadership, Rutgers opened the 'new' Rutgers Stadium in 1994 and the RAC in 1977.
Fred also oversaw the development of the Rutgers Golf Course from a nine to an 18-hole facility.

Even though Gruninger turned down the original offer to join, he orchestrated Rutgers' move to the Big East Conference in 1995 after presentations and talks with the Big Ten and Atlantic Coast Conferences.
didn't pan out.

Yes Fred made mistakes, but his successes paved the way for future successes when the Rutgers Administration decided to invest in sports instead of running the Athletic Department on the cheap
But he did hire CVS to replace Grentz and despite the administration refusing to fully support athletics the RU WBB program was one of the most respcted while he was the AD

Another part of Gruninger's leadership was hosting conference, regional and national championships. Under his direction, Rutgers hosted the 1996 Men's Basketball Final Four at the Continental Airlines Arena and co-hosted the NCAA East Regional Men's Basketball Championship eight times from 1986-96. In addition, Rutgers hosted the NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships on six occasions.
Fred also created the Scarlet R Club

Gruninger gets more disrespect than he deserves because he didn't have the type of funds to make RU top notched University when it came to its sports programs, but despite that drawback Fred did an exclent job with what he had to work with.

Pat Hobbs seems to have been the same way, but if he was or not will be proven by the way RU FB,MBB,WBB and the others sports programs Hobbs perform in the next 2 years.

In your attempt to look knowledgeable by brining up Gruninger's mistakes, you seen to have overlooked what Fred got right
When talking about Hobbs you act like the road to success Pat started will continue , even though it’s still a work in progress.
WBB isn’t putting fear in anyone’s heart , MBB isn’t a constant tourney program and football is just starting to become a respected program again .
Before claiing Pat’s better than Fred, let’s see if those programs prove it or not

Yes I know : Braun won coach of year and you guessed right on some other things that you remember but are meaningless after they happen to anyone else
We all need something to make us feel good, I can't deny you bragging on a message board how you were right a time or two if that makes your day .
Also understand your getting upset if I say a time or two because you feel you guessed right more than that.
Maybe you better let me know the history of your guessing right with a play by play account and proof to back it up

😇

Last edited:
Maybe he told Fred to hire Tom Young in 1973 right after moving up from assistant AD to AD.
Was that a bad hire?
Gruninger oversaw the upgrading of facilities. Under his leadership, Rutgers opened the 'new' Rutgers Stadium in 1994 and the RAC in 1977.
Fred also oversaw the development of the Rutgers Golf Course from a nine to an 18-hole facility.

Even though Gruninger turned down the original offer to join, he orchestrated Rutgers' move to the Big East Conference in 1995 after presentations and talks with the Big Ten and Atlantic Coast Conferences.
didn't pan out.

Yes Fred made mistakes, but his successes paved the way for future successes when the Rutgers Administration decided to invest in sports instead of running the Athletic Department on the cheap
But he did hire CVS to replace Grentz and despite the administration refusing to fully support athletics the RU WBB program was one of the most respcted while he was the AD

Another part of Gruninger's leadership was hosting conference, regional and national championships. Under his direction, Rutgers hosted the 1996 Men's Basketball Final Four at the Continental Airlines Arena and co-hosted the NCAA East Regional Men's Basketball Championship eight times from 1986-96. In addition, Rutgers hosted the NCAA Men's Lacrosse Championships on six occasions.

Gruninger gets more disrespect than he deserves because he didn't have the type of funds to make RU top notched University when it came to its sports programs, but despite that drawback Fred did an exclent job with what he had to work with.

Pat Hobbs seems to have been the same way, but if he was or not will be proven by the way RU FB,MBB,WBB and the others sports programs Hobbs perform in the next 2 years.

In your attempt to look knowledgeable by brining up Gruninger's mistakes, you seen to have overlooked what Fred got right
When talking about Hobbs you act like the road to success Pat started will continue , even though it’s still a work in progress.
WBB isn’t putting fear in anyone’s heart , MBB isn’t a constant tourney program and football is just starting to become a respected program again .
Before claiing Pat’s better than Fred, let’s see if those programs prove it or not

Yes I know : Braun won coach of year and you guessed right on some other things that you remember but are meaningless after they happen to anyone else
We all need something to make us feel good, I can't deny you bragging on a message board how you were right a time or two if that makes your day .
Also understand your getting upset if I say a time or two because you feel you guessed right more than that.
Maybe you better let me know the history of your guessing right with a play by play account and proof to back it up

😇
knowing @WhiteBus, do you really think he recommended Tom young as HC as Fred’s secretary ?
White bus didn’t even think Braun was gonna be coach of the year

Was that a bad hire?

didn't pan out.

😇
It wasn’t as simple as “guessing right”. You are clueless.

knowing @WhiteBus, do you really think he recommended Tom young as HC as Fred’s secretary ?
White bus didn’t even think Braun was gonna be coach of the year
The clueless person is you. On your stupid Hobbs for HOF thread you bailed when you were shown the facts of Gruninger's accomplishments. Posted "Interesting" closed up shop and left the thread embarrassed, never posting in it again. Simple admission that you knew nothing about Fred and apparently still don't. I don't understand your love affair with Hobbs apparently he like gymnastics coaches not dumb guys. But more puzzling is your hatred for a guy you knew ZERO about and a HOF (both National and at RU) AD who accomplished way more than Hobbs.
Plum has lost it and Plum is still dumb! 😂
I'll also repeat my response about your Wimsatt Rutgers HOF possibilities 😂😂😂😂

Last edited:
The clueless person is you. On your stupid Hobbs for HOF thread you bailed when you were shown the facts of Gruninger's accomplishments. Posted "Interesting" closed up shop and left the thread embarrassed, never posting in it again. Simple admission that you knew nothing about Fred and apparently still don't. I don't understand your love affair with Hobbs apparently he like gymnastics coaches not dumb guys. But more puzzling is your hatred for a guy you knew ZERO about and a HOF (both National and at RU) AD who accomplished way more than Hobbs.
Plum has lost it and Plum is still dumb! 😂
I'll also repeat my response about your Wimsatt Rutgers HOF possibilities 😂😂😂😂
history is what it is ! You are on record saying Braun wouldn’t win coach or year ! Plum ate your lunch.

history is what it is ! You are on record saying Braun wouldn’t win coach or year ! Plum ate your lunch.
Wow. You are still living on that? The funny thing is if your boy Wimsatt was any good Schiano would have won but as a QB he shit the bed after 6-2. Yet you still think he was great. 6-2 to 6-6. Between Hobbs and Wimsatt you think anyone should get in the HOF. Plum is dumb

Wow. You are still living on that? The funny thing is if your boy Wimsatt was any good Schiano would have won but as a QB he shit the bed after 6-2. Yet you still think he was great. 6-2 to 6-6. Between Hobbs and Wimsatt you think anyone should get in the HOF. Plum is dumb
Not my boy wimsatt !

Dude I eat your lunch in every thread !! No wonder why you were Fred’s secretary !!

Not my boy wimsatt !

Dude I eat your lunch in every thread !! No wonder why you were Fred’s secretary !!
What?
He goes down as one of the greatest quarterbacks in Rutgers history
He accomplished more than hall of famers like Ray Lucas
Not one of your boys?? Were you on drugs when you posted he should be in the HOF 50X??
You got buried in this thread and your Hobbs HOF thread. If you ate lunch it was a shit sandwich!! 😂😂
Plum is dumb!

Shelby doesn’t have much to add to this debate except to say he had pizza for lunch. Grandma pepperoni.

And also Shelby noticed Plum’s third person move. Let’s see if White Bus engages w/TP too.

What?

Not one of your boys?? Were you on drugs when you posted he should be in the HOF 50X??
You got buried in this thread and your Hobbs HOF thread. If you ate lunch it was a shit sandwich!! 😂😂
Plum is dumb!
Ok Fred secretary !! You keep defending guys and team that stink !! I guess you must have been pretty to keep you around as secretary

Ok Fred secretary !! You keep defending guys and team that stink !! I guess you must have been pretty to keep you around as secretary
Wow are you in 2nd grade or 3rd grade. How embarrassing you've become. You used to be funny but now you have become such a troll on multiple threads. I'm guessing you aren't a Rutgers fan at all, just a troll. Have you ever been to Rutgers?

Wow are you in 2nd grade or 3rd grade. How embarrassing you've become. You used to be funny but now you have become such a troll on multiple threads. I'm guessing you aren't a Rutgers fan at all, just a troll. Have you ever been to Rutgers?
you were a good secretary for a bad AD.
Not your fault

Bus … choose another school to from here on to label him a fan of. In my case, it became a thing to call me a Cuse fan. How about NC St ? Think you can make that stick ?

Bus … choose another school to from here on to label him a fan of. In my case, it became a thing to call me a Cuse fan. How about NC St ? Think you can make that stick ?
Well Shelby we have never met at a Rutgers game and I spent plenty of time in the lots with a lot of people. I'm not saying you are a Syracuse fan but like Plum no one on here that I know is calling either of you Rutgers fans.

Well Shelby we have never met at a Rutgers game and I spent plenty of time in the lots with a lot of people. I'm not saying you are a Syracuse fan but like Plum no one on here that I know is calling either of you Rutgers fans.
There are more consequential donors than Shelby, but not bigger fans. Shelby differs from most fans by pointing out the bad as well as the good; it irritates the good man to read views absurdly flattering and wildly optimistic that if I didn’t know better I’d think the almighty Schiano wrote himself. The key clues that he doesn’t write them are that the poor grammar, pre-teen spelling skill and apparent immaturity of the writers don’t add up to him authoring. As much as Shelby doesn’t like him, he’s not an imbecile. Most here are, outed by their own words.

There are more consequential donors than Shelby, but not bigger fans. Shelby differs from most fans by pointing out the bad as well as the good; it irritates the good man to read views absurdly flattering and wildly optimistic that if I didn’t know better I’d think the almighty Schiano wrote himself. The key clues that he doesn’t write them are that the poor grammar, pre-teen spelling skill and apparent immaturity of the writers don’t add up to him authoring. As much as Shelby doesn’t like him, he’s not an imbecile. Most here are, outed by their own words.

I picture Rickey Henderson and James Brown here. Why does Shelby make a too-long third-person post?

Kalinakis was a state champ at the 110 m hurdles.
Yeah I know he has some speed.. as I said, I am supporting ak47, my comments are geared towards the posters still claiming Evan Simon should have been the starter last year. Now it's that whoever this kid is that's starting for Temple would have been better than Gavin for Rutgers too last year. At this point, I see that these guys are dug in their position so I won't say anything else about it, time will tell. Time is undefeated at sorting trolls out..

WB and I battle out over almost everything but I do have to say that over the years at games- there is maybe only a 2nd degree of separation between him and almost every fan that has been tailgating. And almost everyone else has seen him as they walk to the stadium.
Usually because of his wonderful 4 legged best friend who used to be there tailgating with him.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I've said numerous times that Rutgers is going for it this year. While I felt the rushing duo of Wimsatt and monangai was a safer bet. You have to try and bring in a transfer that can get the ball to some of these new playmakers on the team. I'm sure money was spent on dymere miller; have to have a QB that can get him the ball. Maybe you haven't seen my response to those posts because they are few and far between. Only one really is Rutgers al who is overly optimistic about everything. Its a running joke which I'm sure you're aware of being that he's been doing it for years. What Ive been pushing back against for months now is the notion that Gavin did not earn the starting job and that Evan Simon was a better option. The coaches just played Wimsatt because of whatever reason, I feel like these are troll posts. Team was having its best season in a decade yet you'd have people come on the board and talk 💩 about Wimsatt after wins at that. Calling for Simon who wasn't getting a fair shot because Wimsatt was handed the job. Here we are about to start a new season and people are still taking any chance to discredit what Wimsatt did for the team last year to justify their positions during the season. No, those opinions were a troll narrative.
As for AK47 I root for Rutgers, so whoever the coaches roll with that's what I support. I'm not at practice to say who's better than who. With that being said I can understand how a Rutgers fan would still be a fan of Wimsatt and want to follow his career. If you werent persuaded by the troll narrative on the board you'd appreciate what he did here and move on. Not feel the need to discredit him whenever someone says he rushed for this many yards or this many touchdowns. You guys come in to say it didn't mean anything to the team.. lol

It’s mostly Al and Ashokan. And the Plum
Special a la All Star Gavin for the HOF thread. Then in the other direction you have Shelby and Whitebus claiming GW deserves worst QB in history award. Those comprised the collection of extreme views. I don’t believe KS ever even suggested Evan is better than Gavin - did he?

The problem is as always - somehow we end up with entire threads worth of righteous posts complaining about folks who post things that challenge these extreme views. Just because I don’t think GW is a Heisman candidate or RU All Star legend in the making does mean I think he’s the worst QB ever - posting my view as to why in response to those posts (for example) is not picking on Gavin. But alas - we have a board filled with posts saying just that (not you by the way). @fluoxetine said it well in the Hobbs thread - folks don’t like what someone says and just continue on and on complaining about it (since my last post on that thread I don’t think there’s been one post on the actual topic of Hobb’s abrupt departure - but on and on it rolls with folks continue to complain about posts from days and days ago). Same thing.

Last edited:
Special a la All Star Gavin for the HOF. Then in the other direction you have Shelby and Whitebus claiming GW deserves worst QB in history award. Those comprised the collection of extreme views. I don’t believe KS ever even suggested Evan is better than Gavin - did he?

The problem is as always - somehow we end up with entire threads worth of righteous posts complaining about folks who post things that challenge these extreme views. Just because I don’t think GW is a Heisman candidate or RU All Star legend in the making does mean I think he’s the worst QB ever - posting my view as to why in response to those posts (for example) is not picking on Gavin. But alas - we have a board filled with posts saying just that (not you by the way). @fluoxetine said it well in the Hobbs thread - folks don’t like what someone says and just continue on and on complaining about it (since my last post on that thread I don’t think there’s been one post on the actual topic of Hobb’s abrupt departure - but on and on it rolls with folks continue to complain about posts from days and days ago). Same thing.
Omg stop being so dense dude. I never said Gavin was particularly good. I said he was good enough for Rutgers because Rutgers has a terribile history of quarterbacks . It’s comical Rutgers fans can turn their nose up at a guy that was the quarterback on our best team in years and our second best team in BIG history

Special a la All Star Gavin for the HOF. Then in the other direction you have Shelby and Whitebus claiming GW deserves worst QB in history award. Those comprised the collection of extreme views. I don’t believe KS ever even suggested Evan is better than Gavin - did he?

Yeah my thing is the guys claiming that Evan Simon was a better option and that Gavin was "given" the job. That's an emotional troll narrative. Even when arguing against al or ashoksn when you guys say things like Gavin's touchdowns don't matter because many of them were goalline tds. Then you guys reference the Evan Simon "td drive" vs Wisconsin. I watch the games, I can't remember exactly but when he came in Gavin has already "driven" the team down the field. At the most Simon came in when they were on 30 yardline, then threw a goal line td, simple toss and catch. But the way you guys tell it he lead a 80 yd 2 minute drill to score.

Omg stop being so dense dude. I never said Gavin was particularly good. I said he was good enough for Rutgers because Rutgers has a terribile history of quarterbacks . It’s comical Rutgers fans can turn their nose up at a guy that was the quarterback on our best team in years and our second best team in BIG history
Words will be twisted to support their position lol .have to be clear..

Yeah my thing is the guys claiming that Evan Simon was a better option and that Gavin was "given" the job. That's an emotional troll narrative. Even when arguing against al or ashoksn when you guys say things like Gavin's touchdowns don't matter because many of them were goalline tds. Then you guys reference the Evan Simon "td drive" vs Wisconsin. I watch the games, I can't remember exactly but when he came in Gavin has already "driven" the team down the field. At the most Simon came in when they were on 30 yardline, then threw a goal line td, simple toss and catch. But the way you guys tell it he lead a 80 yd 2 minute drill to score.
Can you point to "the guys claiming that Evan Simon was a better option than Gavin"? I don't recall seeing those guys.
Perhaps you are thinking about the Wisconsin game, after Gavin got his bell rung, Evan threw a TD pass, and some fans thought Evan should have stayed in a bit longer because he was the hot hand. He had a three game stretch in 2022 against Iowa, Ohio State and Nebraska that was particularly bad, throwing 6 picks in those three games. Most logical fans remembered that.

That’s not what I was saying - geez, relax. I know what your point was even though I don’t agree with it. I was saying your proclamation got tangled up in the Al / Ashokan stuff. Ashokan posted multiple times what a mistake it was to move to AK. And Al went on the UK board and predicted GW to be a Heisman candidate. The timing of your thread labeling him an All Star is what bundled it with those - I know it wasn’t your own point but you had guys like them weighing in connecting the dots - not you, but it was still your thread. Again - the point in my post above wasn’t about that (I clarified for the avoidance of doubt that I’m referencing the thread itself - not you).

Reactions: Plum Street
That’s not what I was saying - geez, relax. I know what your point was even though I don’t agree with it. I was saying your proclamation got tangled up in the Al / Ashokan stuff. Ashokan posted multiple times what a mistake it was to move to AK. And Al went on the UK board and predicted GW to be a Heisman candidate. The timing of your thread labeling him an All Star is what bundled it with those - I know it wasn’t your own point but you had guys like them weighing in connecting the dots - not you, but it was still your thread. Again - the point in my post above wasn’t about that (I clarified for the avoidance of doubt that I’m referencing the thread itself - not you).
Be careful, you are arguing with a legend! Just ask him. 😉

Words will be twisted to support their position lol .have to be clear..

I’m not twisting anything. There were two posters specifically who vocalized wanting to stick with Gavin. I referenced them earlier and then first in the post above. I mention Plum’s thread because it’s timing and subject label solicited more extremist comments on this topic for obvious reasons. Plum didn’t actually state it that way - he came up with his own rather bizarre (in my view logic), but all the same - not what’s being discussed here per se.

Special a la All Star Gavin for the HOF thread. Then in the other direction you have Shelby and Whitebus claiming GW deserves worst QB in history award. Those comprised the collection of extreme views. I don’t believe KS ever even suggested Evan is better than Gavin - did he?

QB metrics noted GW is the worst in the country, so it's not an extreme view suggest that he is. What is extreme is the suggestion that he's actually a good QB.

Thanks for reminding me of how stupid that was... playing GW after he was taken out by that nasty hit and after Simon had success in the backup role. Now for Simon-Brock at Temple.. supposedly they are close and BOTH might have been better than GW on the Rutgers team last year. We didn't get to see it.. so we don't know. If Simon had gotten to finish that Wisconsin game.. maybe we'd know for sure.
@Knight Shift I wasn't going to search for all of the posts proclaiming the coaches should have given Simon a fair shot and Gavin was handed the job. But I remembered this one from this thread. Idk if you really don't remember anyone proclaiming Simon should have started or if you were referring to this thread alone. But either way, those claiming that Wimsatt shouldn't have started last year have been loud.

Reactions: Knight Shift
@Knight Shift I wasn't going to search for all of the posts proclaiming the coaches should have given Simon a fair shot and Gavin was handed the job. But I remembered this one from this thread. Idk if you really don't remember anyone proclaiming Simon should have started or if you were referring to this thread alone. But either way, those claiming that Wimsatt shouldn't have started last year have been loud.
Fair enough. These arguments tend to get muddled, and the muddling may have been more that some fans/posters wanted anyone more accurate than Gavin. For the record, I thought Simon should have stayed in for at least another series or two at Wisconsin because Gavin took quite a hit, and Simon could have run with the hot hand. But nothing more than that. I'm done with this topic. It's over.

Reactions: Jerseylegends
Kalinakis was a state champ at the 110 m hurdles.
Sooo.. my first thought was "What State?" assuming low competition.. but it was Illinois! ohh.. 2020? 2019? When did he win it? Hmmm.. anyway you look at it, he is athletic and fast.. maybe not state champ fast in a non-covid year if that affected competition.. but fast enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT