ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gavin Wimsatt acclimating well to Kentucky Football

He had 11 rushing TDs at RU and could have 20 easy in right system.
6 of those 11 were from two yards and in. Just an example, in the bowl game 1st and goal from the 2 it took him three tries to get it in. Then 1st and goal from the 1 it took him two tries to get it in. What's the right system? Get it to the one or two and hope it's not 3rd down?

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
If he wins 3 bowls , yes he’s a hall of famer

Remember the northwestern coach of the year thread?
when laughed at and without a good comeback: remind people the time or two you were right about something .
Your Carnac the Magnificent might be getting a little stale but it always comes in handy as the last line of defense when someone points out something foolish you posted

Wimsatt was a very good running QB at RU , just not so hot as a passing one and anyone considering him RU HOF material needs to be laughed at ,even if that person considers himself to be: Plum "the Magnificent" 😁

If he wins 3 bowls , yes he’s a hall of famer

Remember the northwestern coach of the year thread?
Remember thinking Hobbs was superior to Gruninger?? You knew ZERO about Fred including spelling his name. And that was just days ago!
I love how you completely disrespect the defensive, the special teams and above all Kyle Monangai!! If you really think that Wimsatt carried last years team you really don't understand the game. Rutgers won in spite of him. Proof is in the pudding, he was benched and he left. Your choices for Rutgers HOF are idiotic! Plum is dumb.

Last edited:
Yeah idk about that lol I was referring to the sentiment of some posts before yours. Comparing him to Johnny langan and that he's completely ineffective running if it's not goal line.

I wasn’t comparing him to Langan at all. Where did you even get that from? I was comparing it to the added situational difficulty (for anyone) in coming off the bench for one play being known exclusively as a running threat (which in the short game is exactly what he would be).

Alot of you were calling for Evan Simon to be the starter and on the Temple depth chart he's listed as 2nd or 3rd string as well. Haven't heard anything about the temple coaches praising him or plans to find ways to get him on the field. There was no better option at QB for Rutgers last year. What is the disdain about? There's no way some of you pop up every time anything positive about Wimsatt is said. It's like a running joke lol
He's not 3rd string.

QB, Forrest Brock OR Evan Simon OR Tyler Douglas

"Notably, Drayton didn't reference the offensive line or the quarterback position in those comments. Just last week, he noted a preference to settle on five starters who can build some chemistry on the offensive line and to narrow it down to one quarterback. Forrest Brock is slated to start the opener after winning a preseason camp competition with Evan Simon.

"To play both would have us alter the offense to fit their skillset, which we're prepared to do in an emergency," Drayton said last week. "But I would love to have one quarterback solidified so that offensively we can get ourselves in a rhythm. That's the plan ultimately." "

He's not 3rd string.

QB, Forrest Brock OR Evan Simon OR Tyler Douglas

"Notably, Drayton didn't reference the offensive line or the quarterback position in those comments. Just last week, he noted a preference to settle on five starters who can build some chemistry on the offensive line and to narrow it down to one quarterback. Forrest Brock is slated to start the opener after winning a preseason camp competition with Evan Simon.

"To play both would have us alter the offense to fit their skillset, which we're prepared to do in an emergency," Drayton said last week. "But I would love to have one quarterback solidified so that offensively we can get ourselves in a rhythm. That's the plan ultimately." "

Lol also, notice in the quote you posted the temple coach explains why they want to stick with their starter and not use two QBs. What I've been trying to say to you guys for about a year, if you have a running QB, you'd have to change your entire offense if you replace that QB with Simon.

Lol also, notice in the quote you posted the temple coach explains why they want to stick with their starter and not use two QBs. What I've been trying to say to you guys for about a year, if you have a running QB, you'd have to change your entire offense if you replace that QB with Simon.

No doubt it’s a factor. I don’t think most people necessarily thought Evan was this vastly better option than Gavin. The only time people raised questions was in the Wisconsin game. After Evan came in and led us on a TD drive when Gavin got hurt, there was really no good reason to rush Gavin back in. Different schemes and all, offense on that given day / drive worked with Evan playing.

Remember thinking Hobbs was superior to Gruninger?? You knew ZERO about Fred including spelling his name. And that was just days ago!
I love how you completely disrespect the defensive, the special teams and above all Kyle Monangai!! If you really think that Wimsatt carried last years team you really don't understand the game. Rutgers won in spite of him. Proof is in the pudding, he was benched and he left. Your choices for Rutgers HOF are idiotic! Plum is dumb.
Hobbs was better than Fred !! Fred turned down the BIG East in basketball to stay with the dequense of the world’s in the A-10. !!

Don't know why you LOL'd. You look silly. You made an assertion that Simon was 3rd in depth chart,when he clearly is not. You read too much int onDrayton's quote to prove your point which does not exist. I'm being purely objective here. I don't care if Simon is 25th on the depth chart, but that is not what the depth chart or coach says.

No doubt it’s a factor. I don’t think most people necessarily thought Evan was this vastly better option than Gavin. The only time people raised questions was in the Wisconsin game. After Evan came in and led us on a TD drive when Gavin got hurt, there was really no good reason to rush Gavin back in. Different schemes and all, offense on that given day / drive worked with Evan playing.
Very solid point on that game only, but the haters will pivot and turn it into something else.

6 of those 11 were from two yards and in. Just an example, in the bowl game 1st and goal from the 2 it took him three tries to get it in. Then 1st and goal from the 1 it took him two tries to get it in. What's the right system? Get it to the one or two and hope it's not 3rd down?

Goal line is hard for anyone not Michigan - as any RU fan should know.
RU has long history of GL futility and default FGs
GW still had more combined RU TDs than anyone since Nova (who only had 3 rush TDs in a season).
Even "Wild Cat Sanu" only had 9 career rushing TDs (5 in 2009).
I know a lot of people hate Wimsatt but he really wasn't the worst player RU ever had.
Be aware the Kentucky coaches spoke of GW's long ball skills and those weren't used at RU because Kirk was protecting the OL that couldn't block for long passes (GS said)

SANU STATS
fKnIULs.jpeg

Reactions: rutgersal
Hobbs was better than Fred !! Fred turned down the BIG East in basketball to stay with the dequense of the world’s in the A-10. !!
My take:
Rutgers turned down the Big East because it didn't have a football side and felt without that the BE wasn't a good fit to place Rutgers Sports if its football program was going to be left out in the cold.
Rutgers was in the process of going from a D-1AA type of program into one that played at a D-1A level
and felt joining the BE wouldn't help the football program

Fred was convinced by Paterno that an Eastern 8 conference for all sports would be formed.
Paterno wanted Penn State, Pitt, BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, WVU, Temple, and Maryland to form one conference..
To counter the threat of BC and Syracuse leaving the BE invited Pitt and they joined the Big East putting a kibosh on the new conference forming.

As for which AD Pat or Fred was better, time will tell after we see how RU Athletics does the next couple of years.
Both have successes and failures and Pat's success must stand the test of time and his failures prove to be just bumps in the road and have turned into success stories.
Fred's failures are known, but his successes outweigh them and are being minimized by some who are only looking at his failures and ignoring what he did accomplish

Last edited:
Reactions: Knightmoves
Rutgers turned down the Big East because it didn't have a football side and felt without that the BE wasn't a good fit to place Rutgers Sports if its football program was going to be left out in the cold
Fred was conned by Paterno that an Eastern 8 conference for all sports would be formed.s. Paterno wanted Penn State, Pitt, BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, WVU, Temple, and Maryland to form one conference..
To counter the threat of BC and Syracuse leaving the BE invited Pitt and they joind the Big East putting a kibbash on the new confrence forming.

As for which AD Pat or Fred was berrer, time will tell after we see how RU Athletics does the next couple of years.
Both have sucesses and failures and Pat's sucess must stand the test of time and his failures prove to be just bumps in the road and have turned into sucess stories.
Freds failures are non, but his sucesses outweigh them and are being minimixe by some who are only looking at he failures and minimizing his sucesses
You can't rebut my point above!

Don't know why you LOL'd. You look silly. You made an assertion that Simon was 3rd in depth chart,when he clearly is not. You read too much int onDrayton's quote to prove your point which does not exist. I'm being purely objective here. I don't care if Simon is 25th on the depth chart, but that is not what the depth chart or coach says.
?? The idea of a couple of replies was that Wimsatt is 2nd or 3rd string because of the or on the depth chart. I pointed out that Simon also has an or next to his name. You then said he's not third string. I really didn't understand what you were disagreeing with me about. I assumed you were saying he almost won the job. Which I thought was funny being that he's competing with a community college transfer at Temple. While Wimsatt loses out to a former 5 star UGA transfer at Kentucky with the coaches still trying to invent ways to get him on the field; that validates the negative narratives on Gavin for some of you. Thought that was funny, that's why the lol, no disrespect..

"As a QB? Hobbs could run faster than Fred."
Gruninger was a member of the Rutgers baseball team
Hobbs was a tax attorney
Fred would quickly run the bases to score
Pat would figure out how fast the base tax had to be paid .
I'd call it a draw

Happy Typography GIF by Ishmael Arias Pinto
Daniel Vogelbach played baseball too.......

Hobbs didn't have to get Rutgers to the Big Ten, it was already done. And you forgot the Big East didn't have Football stupid. And once we joined the Big East how good was Rutgers Basketball?? I never knew you have no idea about Rutgers History. What stadiums and basketball arena did Hobbs get built? How many National Championship did Rutgers win under Hobbs? How many programs did he add? What has he done for the golf team? Every improvement Hobbs made cost money. Fred got us a new football stadium for free. Sorry you are so butt hurt that I schooled you on Rutgers history but you are a sorry loser. Can't claim you're so smart. Plum is dumb! Proven!

when laughed at and without a good comeback: remind people the time or two you were right about something .
Your Carnac the Magnificent might be getting a little stale but it always comes in handy as the last line of defense when someone points out something foolish you posted

Wimsatt was a very good running QB at RU , just not so hot as a passing one and anyone considering him RU HOF material needs to be laughed at ,even if that person considers himself to be: Plum "the Magnificent" 😁
The time or two ? Trying to understate things my friend. Next you will say Brady won a couple Super Bowls, Jordan hit a big shot and Ripken played in a few games in a row

Hobbs didn't have to get Rutgers to the Big Ten, it was already done. And you forgot the Big East didn't have Football stupid. And once we joined the Big East how good was Rutgers Basketball?? I never knew you have no idea about Rutgers History. What stadiums and basketball arena did Hobbs get built? How many National Championship did Rutgers win under Hobbs? How many programs did he add? What has he done for the golf team? Every improvement Hobbs made cost money. Fred got us a new football stadium for free. Sorry you are so butt hurt that I schooled you on Rutgers history but you are a sorry loser. Can't claim you're so smart. Plum is dumb! Proven!
You’re obviously biased. You posted here that you worked as Fred’s secretary or something at the college Avenue gym. Can we credit you with the littlepage and shea hires ?

?? The idea of a couple of replies was that Wimsatt is 2nd or 3rd string because of the or on the depth chart. I pointed out that Simon also has an or next to his name. You then said he's not third string. I really didn't understand what you were disagreeing with me about. I assumed you were saying he almost won the job. Which I thought was funny being that he's competing with a community college transfer at Temple. While Wimsatt loses out to a former 5 star UGA transfer at Kentucky with the coaches still trying to invent ways to get him on the field; that validates the negative narratives on Gavin for some of you. Thought that was funny, that's why the lol, no disrespect..

What gives here? I don’t recall KS saying either of them (GW or ES) were great options for starting QB, nor did he ever double down on how awful Gavin was (really only Shelby, Whitebus and a few others have actually done that).

You seem to be ignoring the other end of the spectrum - the folks who proclaimed the move to AK to be this huge mistake. One even went on the UK board and made a proclamation that Gavin will be Heisman candidate this year. So while not earning the starting role doesn’t validate anything overly negative about Gavin - it does demonstrate how ridiculous these comments were. To be “great” a QB has to be able to throw with accuracy on a consistent basis. Full stop. If Gavin, or Evan, or anyone else met the definition of “great” they would have earned the starting roles. Saying Gavin is not “great” isn’t the same thing as saying he’s awful.

You’re obviously biased. You posted here that you worked as Fred’s secretary or something at the college Avenue gym. Can we credit you with the littlepage and shea hires ?
I actually gave you a long list of Gruninger's accomplishments that you were clueless about. Pat's list isn't as impressive. Plus Pat actually had support $ of the University. You just can't admit you were completely clueless about Fred's work at Rutgers. And stop with the Wimsatt HOF stupidity. He sucked and he's gone because he wasn't a good QB. If he was so good why is he a backup at Kentucky? Plum is dumb.

I actually gave you a long list of Gruninger's accomplishments that you were clueless about. Pat's list isn't as impressive. Plus Pat actually had support $ of the University. You just can't admit you were completely clueless about Fred's work at Rutgers. And stop with the Wimsatt HOF stupidity. He sucked and he's gone because he wasn't a good QB. If he was so good why is he a backup at Kentucky? Plum is dumb.
You and your boss thought Shea was good to hire !! We found the tapes from 1995!!

You and your boss thought Shea was good to hire !! We found the tapes from 1995!!
That's your comeback? Hobbs gets credit for Ash. Ash was the worst Rutgers coach of any sport ever. Tell me what has any Hobbs team has accomplished? Conference Champion? National Title. Undefeated? You are simply so embarrassed that you were clueless about Fred that all you can do is come up with lame comebacks? Plum is dumb and embarrassing! 😂😂

That's your comeback? Hobbs gets credit for Ash. Ash was the worst Rutgers coach of any sport ever. Tell me what has any Hobbs team has accomplished? Conference Champion? National Title. Undefeated? You are simply so embarrassed that you were clueless about Fred that all you can do is come up with lame comebacks? Plum is dumb and embarrassing! 😂😂
Fine hang your hat on the 76 teams !!
Forget the bungling of the athletic department for the next 20 years.

It’s really apples and oranges trying to directly compare ADs since different times call for different things. Yes - Ash is a blemish on Hobbs record for sure. But at at the end of the day, if you reflect on Hobbs tenure, pretty much every team sits in a much better place today than it did when he was hired (including football). That in itself is a huge thing because that’s the AD’s job - to oversee all sports programs. For basically every program to be notably improved matters.

It’s really apples and oranges trying to directly compare ADs since different times call for different things. Yes - Ash is a blemish on Hobbs record for sure. But at at the end of the day, if you reflect on Hobbs tenure, pretty much every team sits in a much better place today than it did when he was hired (including football). That in itself is a huge thing because that’s the AD’s job - to oversee all sports programs. For basically every program to be notably improved matters.
Such silliness sacking Hobbs with the Ash hire. Maybe he could have stopped it, but Ash was basically a done deal before Hobbs was hired. But that will not stop the false narratives on it being "his" hire.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Fine hang your hat on the 76 teams !!
Forget the bungling of the athletic department for the next 20 years.
Oh, Plum you're are so dumb. He has a National Championship in the 80s and Conference Championship in the 90s.
Here's some simple facts.
Fred is in National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics Hall of Fame and Rutgers HOF. The two your trying to prop up, Wimsatt and Hobbs will never be. Turn the page dude.

Such silliness sacking Hobbs with the Ash hire. Maybe he could have stopped it, but Ash was basically a done deal before Hobbs was hired. But that will not stop the false narratives on it being "his" hire.
He could have stopped it, instead he makes that embarrassing comment as the best interview ever. How many Football coaches did Hobbs interview in his life? Technically it was the worst interview ever too because that was his only one. He could have fired him before the extension. No excuses for the extension. Should have never been part of the contract. As an former attorney of Financial Law he should have never let that be part of any contract.
And it's a complete false narrative that he hired Schiano back.

Fred was the worst since not joining the big east the moment the big east was formed
It was painfully obvious that the big east would be better and he never could see or admit it

Fred was the worst since not joining the big east the moment the big east was formed
It was painfully obvious that the big east would be better and he never could see or admit it
So join the Big East and cancel Football?
The Big East became a mess.

What gives here? I don’t recall KS saying either of them (GW or ES) were great options for starting QB, nor did he ever double down on how awful Gavin was (really only Shelby, Whitebus and a few others have actually done that).

You seem to be ignoring the other end of the spectrum - the folks who proclaimed the move to AK to be this huge mistake. One even went on the UK board and made a proclamation that Gavin will be Heisman candidate this year. So while not earning the starting role doesn’t validate anything overly negative about Gavin - it does demonstrate how ridiculous these comments were. To be “great” a QB has to be able to throw with accuracy on a consistent basis. Full stop. If Gavin, or Evan, or anyone else met the definition of “great” they would have earned the starting roles. Saying Gavin is not “great” isn’t the same thing as saying he’s awful.
I've said numerous times that Rutgers is going for it this year. While I felt the rushing duo of Wimsatt and monangai was a safer bet. You have to try and bring in a transfer that can get the ball to some of these new playmakers on the team. I'm sure money was spent on dymere miller; have to have a QB that can get him the ball. Maybe you haven't seen my response to those posts because they are few and far between. Only one really is Rutgers al who is overly optimistic about everything. Its a running joke which I'm sure you're aware of being that he's been doing it for years. What Ive been pushing back against for months now is the notion that Gavin did not earn the starting job and that Evan Simon was a better option. The coaches just played Wimsatt because of whatever reason, I feel like these are troll posts. Team was having its best season in a decade yet you'd have people come on the board and talk 💩 about Wimsatt after wins at that. Calling for Simon who wasn't getting a fair shot because Wimsatt was handed the job. Here we are about to start a new season and people are still taking any chance to discredit what Wimsatt did for the team last year to justify their positions during the season. No, those opinions were a troll narrative.
As for AK47 I root for Rutgers, so whoever the coaches roll with that's what I support. I'm not at practice to say who's better than who. With that being said I can understand how a Rutgers fan would still be a fan of Wimsatt and want to follow his career. If you werent persuaded by the troll narrative on the board you'd appreciate what he did here and move on. Not feel the need to discredit him whenever someone says he rushed for this many yards or this many touchdowns. You guys come in to say it didn't mean anything to the team.. lol

So join the Big East and cancel Football?
The Big East became a mess.
There was no eastern FB league at the time
And the big East quickly became one of the best BB leagues, Highpoint putting three teams in a final four

From the moment I heard about it, I thought we should jump.ship and join
The history of RU basketball would have been so much better

Last edited:
Yes it was. You don't know anything about Rutgers History. Go do some research. You are embarrassing yourself.
I know you were a great secretary !! You probably told freddy boy to hire dick Anderson and tell the BIF East we don’t want to play in your basketball conference !
Did secretaries use typewriters back then? Did you type “hire Craig “??? Or Braun won’t win coach of year on that typewriter ??

Thanks for reminding me of how stupid that was... playing GW after he was taken out by that nasty hit and after Simon had success in the backup role. Now for Simon-Brock at Temple.. supposedly they are close and BOTH might have been better than GW on the Rutgers team last year. We didn't get to see it.. so we don't know. If Simon had gotten to finish that Wisconsin game.. maybe we'd know for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT