ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gavin Wimsatt acclimating well to Kentucky Football

Just stop. To Schianos credit he demanded the resources but he had far more advantages than Graber. Not even worth a discussion
Schiano knew what to ask for, and negotiated and fought for every advantage. His strength is that he is very organized and sharp as a tack. He came very well prepared., and that’s why he’s been successful at Rutgers.

Schiano had a superior AD behind him in Bob Mulcahy.
Greg deserves appreciation for what he did, but I am fairly sure, Greg would give Bob M a huge amount of credit for the support that Graber lacked.

Hate to say it but McCormick was a good point on the triangle. When president, AD and coach are united and active for football it makes a big difference - especially at a school where football can be (by some) considered a waste of money and prestige

Reactions: Knight Shift
Right. Have always wondered if Flood would have done better with more support. No, he was not Greg, but with Bob and then Tim gone, and Julie screwing up and knifing him in the back, he resorted to cutting corners and silly antics to try to keep guys on the team. Hard to excuse his cutting corners. But when he had one year of support and a solid OC in Friedgen, 2014 was a good year for him. It fell apart quite quickly.

I knew Flood would lose the team because he wanted to be friends with the players and didn't really have the authoritative aspect down. Some players saw him as a substitute teacher they could dismiss. It only takes a few bad eggs to draw in some strays. As I recall the secondary players ended-up with a pretty long list of arrests/charges. Greg would have sniffed stuff like that out before it all went south. Flood liked doing popsicles more

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
For the guys arguing with Plum Street, it is very simple. He is merely said that Wimsatt goes down as one of the greatest quarterbacks in Rutgers history, that he accomplished more than hall of famers like Ray Lucas. Totally based on the win record with Wimsatt running the offense in every single game. Plumb didn't say completion record, didn't say Lucas was bad, didn't say Wimsatt was good, didn't say anything outside of what he said. I think Plum is right from that viewpoint.

That’d be fair I suppose if Plum was consistent in this view. Following exactly the same train of logic, coach Flood should in turn go down as one of the greatest coaches in RU history. You could argue perhaps that his off court shenanigans taint his accomplished win / loss record but that’s about all you could counter with. Flood has the best win / loss record of any RU coach in recent memory. His overall record since entering the BIG is 12-13 - still stands as the best. Plum would want to counter that based on the talent Flood disappointed (which is a view he’s pointed out in the past to support his belief that Flood was a complete dud). That’s a reasonable opinion separate from this discussion - but could not be used in the context of this discussion as that argument mirrors the point that the team won despite Wimsatt’s flaws which Plum is saying doesn’t matter because the team still made a bowl.

Reactions: WhiteBus
I knew Flood would lose the team because he wanted to be friends with the players and didn't really have the authoritative aspect down. Some players saw him as a substitute teacher they could dismiss. It only takes a few bad eggs to draw in some strays. As I recall the secondary players ended-up with a pretty long list of arrests/charges. Greg would have sniffed stuff like that out before it all went south. Flood liked doing popsicles more
The biggest issue is that Flood recruited bad eggs and that was his downfall. I still can’t believe he took a trip to Princeton to meet a professor.

Reactions: MADHAT1 and ashokan
The biggest issue is that Flood recruited bad eggs and that was his downfall. I still can’t believe he took a trip to Princeton to meet a professor.

Yes - 100%. The off court stuff stands out as the worst part of Flood’s tenure and the biggest reason he failed as a head coach.

But at the end of the day, Flood still led RU to an 8-5 record in its inaugural year in the BIG. That team currently stands as the only RU team yet to win a road game over a bowl team (Maryland). They also beat an 8 win Navy team on the road. That team also has the best brand name win to date - beating Michigan. And they beat UNC in a bowl game. Any and all excuses Plum might make to discount the role that Flood played in the success that season (and/or suggest that RU could’ve done even better with a different coach) would be exactly the same as the arguments Whitebus and others are making about RU getting 7 wins despite all of Gavin’s shortcomings. Plum is saying it doesn’t matter - the team still did it so Wimsatt gets credit. Shouldn’t this same logic then apply for Flood? I’m saying Plum can’t have his cake and eat it too on this. Either both are true or neither.

That’d be fair I suppose if Plum was consistent in this view. Following exactly the same train of logic, coach Flood should in turn go down as one of the greatest coaches in RU history. You could argue perhaps that his off court shenanigans taint his accomplished win / loss record but that’s about all you could counter with. Flood has the best win / loss record of any RU coach in recent memory. His overall record since entering the BIG is 12-13 - still stands as the best. Plum would want to counter that based on the talent Flood disappointed (which is a view he’s pointed out in the past to support his belief that Flood was a complete dud). That’s a reasonable opinion separate from this discussion - but could not be used in the context of this discussion as that argument mirrors the point that the team won despite Wimsatt’s flaws which Plum is saying doesn’t matter because the team still made a bowl.
Hmm …you must be knew around here. I coined the term “flood is a dud” early on when this place thought he was so great in September in 2012. I would never say he was good here.
I also had other legendary takes and threads you should check out and appreciate message board legend
Back your point. …it’s coaching so it’s a lot different than comparing a player. Flood ruined the program. Wimsatt didn’t
But based on his record , I wouldn’t be surprised if someone at Rutgers puts Flood in our hall of fame someday . I also wouldn’t be surprised if he gets another head coaching job and part of the narrative he was one of Rutgers winningest coaches ever.
Grunniger got in our hall of fame . Do you think he was a good AD?

Hmm …you must be knew around here. I coined the term “flood is a dud” early on when this place thought he was so great in September in 2012. I would never say he was good here.
I also had other legendary takes and threads you should check out and appreciate message board legend
Back your point. …it’s coaching so it’s a lot different than comparing a player.
But based on his record , I wouldn’t be surprised if someone at Rutgers puts Flood in our hall of fame someday . I also wouldn’t be surprised if he gets another head coaching job and part of the narrative he was one of Rutgers winningest coaches ever.
Grunniger got in our hall of fame . Do you think he was a good AD?

The original timing of that “term” is irrelevant. You’ve continued to speak to it through the years and even tried to lump Flood’s failure as a coach in the same category (or only marginally less bad) compared to Ash. It seems based on your post that perhaps your softening your original take a bit. At one point you would’ve put Flood in the running for worst coach ever.

In terms of player vs coach - I’m not sure what differences you might be alluding to in the context of your own point. Whitebus and a few others pointed out specific ways that Gavin as a player directly hurt the team on the field and your counter to that was that it doesnt matter because at the end of the day, he was the QB and therefore deserves credit for being a part of the success in leading us to a bowl. How would that logic not also follow for a coach? In the least, all I was saying is Flood couldn’t be as legendarily awful as you described under your premise - unless your suggesting that only a player and not a coach deserves credit for being a part of the outcomes achieved by a team.

Did GW connect on 3 long passes in his RU career? I'd love to know his deep throw percentage. It was brutal.

They were so bad that I wondered if the staff was instructing him to throw his deep throws out of bounds. It felt like we were pretending to be interested in passes over the top of the defense.
Just such a huge difference between connecting on those long balls when you know there's no way your getting hit to having an SEC Defense ready to blast you... There are plenty of HS QBs that can make those passes in a non contact play

The original timing of that “term” is irrelevant. You’ve continued to speak to it through the years and even tried to lump Flood’s failure as a coach in the same category (or only marginally less bad) compared to Ash. It seems based on your post that perhaps your softening your original take a bit. At one point you would’ve put Flood in the running for worst coach ever.

In terms of player vs coach - I’m not sure what differences you might be alluding to in the context of your own point. Whitebus and a few others pointed out specific ways that Gavin as a player directly hurt the team on the field and your counter to that was that it doesnt matter because at the end of the day, he was the QB and therefore deserves credit for being a part of the success in leading us to a bowl. How would that logic not also follow for a coach? In the least, all I was saying is Flood couldn’t be as legendarily awful as you described under your premise - unless your suggesting that only a player and not a coach deserves credit for being a part of the outcomes achieved by a team.
omg man . Why are you even bringing flood into this conversation? Flood was terrible and won whatever games he did with schiano’s players
Wimsatt wasn’t good …but by Rutgers standards he wasn’t bad. Do you think Lucas was a great quarterback here ?

omg man . Why are you even bringing flood into this conversation? Flood was terrible and won whatever games he did with schiano’s players
Wimsatt wasn’t good …but by Rutgers standards he wasn’t bad. Do you think Lucas was a great quarterback here ?
Why do keep defending Gavin and hating on Ray?
No Gavin wasn't good by Rutgers standard's, he was bad! That's why he isn't here anymore. By Rutgers standard's Ray is a Rutgers HOF so he was a great, valued Rutgers player and a great man. Did Ray steal your girlfriend, not sign your jersey or you lost money betting against Ray???
Why bring in Flood? This years waterboys?? You still don't get it??? Seriously are you that dense?

Why do keep defending Gavin and hating on Ray?
No Gavin wasn't good by Rutgers standard's, he was bad! That's why he isn't here anymore. By Rutgers standard's Ray is a Rutgers HOF so he was a great, valued Rutgers player and a great man. Did Ray steal your girlfriend, not sign your jersey or you lost money betting against Ray???
Why bring in Flood? This years waterboys?? You still don't get it??? Seriously are you that dense?
lol . You have a good sense of humor @WhiteBus ….hey if I lost a girlfriend to a hall of famer , no shame in that!

But not sure how I am “defending” Gavin when I outright said he wasn’t good ! Slow bus today !

lol . You have a good sense of humor @WhiteBus ….hey if I lost a girlfriend to a hall of famer , no shame in that!

But not sure how I am “defending” Gavin when I outright said he wasn’t good ! Slow bus today !
You keep defending him saying he was better than Lucas because he went to a bowl game and Ray didn't. As I and several others have said your logic isn't logical. It's a stupid take. For a guy who pretends to be great on predictions you are certainly stupid with reality. My word! If Rutgers needed a starting QB this year who would you take. Gavin or Ray in his time at Rutgers??

You keep defending him saying he was better than Lucas because he went to a bowl game and Ray didn't. As I and several others have said your logic isn't logical. It's a stupid take. For a guy who pretends to be great on predictions you are certainly stupid with reality. My word! If Rutgers needed a starting QB this year who would you take. Gavin or Ray in his time at Rutgers??
I never said he was better . I posted arguably better career …and he can’t be that bad if this is the convo we are having
Wha do you mean pretends to be great on predictions? I think the proof is in the pudding. Didn’t I eat your lunch in the Braun thread ? 😮

I never said he was better . I posted arguably better career …and he can’t be that bad if this is the convo we are having
Wha do you mean pretends to be great on predictions? I think the proof is in the pudding. Didn’t I eat your lunch in the Braun thread ? 😮
Arguably better career?? Are F-ing high? Now you're doubling down on stupidity! What career? The only thing Gavin was better then Ray is stealing NIL money for 3 years! I'm eating your lunch on this stupid take of yours! Yes he was that bad you are the only that think he wasn't bad!!

Reactions: charliem24
Arguably better career?? Are F-ing high? Now you're doubling down on stupidity! What career? The only thing Gavin was better then Ray is stealing NIL money for 3 years! I'm eating your lunch on this stupid take of yours! Yes he was that bad you are the only that think he wasn't bad!!
you surly jest
How can anyone fail to see a HOF career in the making , if he stayed

Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
*2021RutgersBig TenFRQB492142.9452.1-2.10241.8
2022RutgersBig TenSOQB86514544.87575.23.75790.4
*2023RutgersBig TenJRQB1313828947.817356.05.498102.9
CareerRutgers21245546.625375.64.5141796.1

RushingReceiving
YearSchoolConfClassPosGAttYdsAvgTDRecYdsAvgTDPlaysYdsAvgTD
*2021RutgersBig TenFRQB49687.600009687.60
2022RutgersBig TenSOQB840631.6000040631.60
*2023RutgersBig TenJRQB131314973.8110001314973.811
CareerRutgers1806283.5110001806283.511

you surly jest

Passing

RushingReceiving
Yes you're right. That fabulous passing completion improved to 47.8% last year. In another 5 years he might have got it over 49%...maybe. 😂

Yes you're right. That fabulous passing completion improved to 47.8% last year. In another 5 years he might have got it over 49%...maybe. 😂

And if not, we could always pad the stats a bit with another half dozen or so opportunities to punch it through the end zone from the one to help him build on the rushing TD stats to support his hall of fame status. I’m sure we could find some opportunities for him vs Howard and Akron?

And if not, we could always pad the stats a bit with another half dozen or so opportunities to punch it through the end zone from the one to help him build on the rushing TD stats to support his hall of fame status. I’m sure we could find some opportunities for him vs Howard and Akron?
I'm sure Kyle loved giving up touchdowns to a QB that couldn't throw, getting himself beaten up with 8 men fronts. Yet Plum thinks he was the best Rutgers QB because the team carried is sad ass to a bowl game. Guy is nuts!

you surly jest

Passing

RushingReceiving
Ok let us @WhiteBus assume if wimsatt has the same exact seasons in 24 and 25 ; that he had in 23. You don’t think he is at least a borderline hall of famer by rutgers standards ?
Compare ray’s best year in 95 to wimsatt 23

Player 1 (literally, see how Plum did that :). ) : Passed for 2180 yards and rushed for 276 yards. He threw for 16 touchdowns with 11 interceptions. He rushed for 6 touchdowns . Total yards 2,456 . Total touchdowns 23. Supporting cast included a hall of fame tight end and two hall of fame running backs . Team was 4-7 playing a schedule of unranked opponents except for a loss to sixth ranked Penn state (player 1 got injured in this game and was ineffective prior to injury)

Player 2 (literally!). Passed for 1,735 yards with 9 touchdowns and 8 interceptions . Rushed for 497 yards and 11 touchdowns. Total yards 2,232 yards. Total touchdowns 20. Supporting cast included a hall of fame running back. Team went 7-6 and won a bowl game with one of the hardest schedules in college football. It is the second greatest season In rutgers BIG Ten history.

Player 1 is a hall of famer. But it’s not like player 1 absolutely was so much better than player 2

Ok let us @WhiteBus assume if wimsatt has the same exact seasons in 24 and 25 ; that he had in 23. You don’t think he is at least a borderline hall of famer by rutgers standards ?
Compare ray’s best year in 95 to wimsatt 23

Player 1 (literally, see how Plum did that :). ) : Passed for 2180 yards and rushed for 276 yards. He threw for 16 touchdowns with 11 interceptions. He rushed for 6 touchdowns . Total yards 2,456 . Total touchdowns 23. Supporting cast included a hall of fame tight end and two hall of fame running backs . Team was 4-7 playing a schedule of unranked opponents except for a loss to sixth ranked Penn state (player 1 got injured in this game and was ineffective prior to injury)

Player 2 (literally!). Passed for 1,735 yards with 9 touchdowns and 8 interceptions . Rushed for 497 yards and 11 touchdowns. Total yards 2,232 yards. Total touchdowns 20. Supporting cast included a hall of fame running back. Team went 7-6 and won a bowl game with one of the hardest schedules in college football. It is the second greatest season In rutgers BIG Ten history.

Player 1 is a hall of famer. But it’s not like player 1 absolutely was so much better than player 2
My god! Stop eating mushrooms dude! Your answer to you question is hell no. Gavin was so good he had to transfer to take a backup spot! 😂😂😂

Yes and you're to stupid to understand. You never saw Ray Lucas play, right?
I did . I remember the fans (not me) booing him unmercifully against syracuse because he stunk so bad and wanted Higgins to play. Even graber had to address it postgame because fans were so upset
What was his signature win?

I did . I remember the fans (not me) booing him unmercifully against syracuse because he stunk so bad and wanted Higgins to play. Even graber had to address it postgame because fans were so upset
What was his signature win?
Are you Gavins bro? Prop up fan. So now you are admitting Ray sucked and Gavin was the best Rutgers QB ever. Got it. Don't even reply. You have become a complete idiot because you love Gavin. What a dope!
Now you are just wasting people's time !

Are you Gavins bro? Prop up fan. So now you are admitting Ray sucked and Gavin was the best Rutgers QB ever. Got it. Don't even reply. You have become a complete idiot because you love Gavin. What a dope!
Now you are just wasting people's time !
No I didn’t . All I am saying ..like I said multiple times …was Gavin was not that bad of a quarterback here when you consider our history

No I didn’t . All I am saying ..like I said multiple times …was Gavin was not that bad of a quarterback here when you consider our history
Only you think that! He wasn't a QB, couldn't make a short pass. The worst who played for Rutgers for a full year. You can look it up. Look up Ray's complication rate. Look up Gavins! I'm pretty sure Ray never came to Rutgers for money. We all know Gavin only came to Rutgers for the NIL. Fact! And you keep thinking he will make Rutgers HOF. Only after Flood. Time to wave the white flag. The more you post on here, the dumber you get on this subject. I used to think you were a funny guy. Now I realize you are an "odd" guy. Weird dude, stupid man.

Only you think that! He wasn't a QB, couldn't make a short pass. The worst who played for Rutgers for a full year. You can look it up. Look up Ray's complication rate. Look up Gavins! I'm pretty sure Ray never came to Rutgers for money. We all know Gavin only came to Rutgers for the NIL. Fact! And you keep thinking he will make Rutgers HOF. Only after Flood. Time to wave the white flag. The more you post on here, the dumber you get on this subject. I used to think you were a funny guy. Now I realize you are an "odd" guy. Weird dude, stupid man.
Omg man !! Wimsatt wasn’t good ! I said that and we needed upgrade ! I don’t get the hate though !Did you lose money betting on him ?
This isn’t quarterback U

Omg man !! Wimsatt wasn’t good ! I said that and we needed upgrade ! I don’t get the hate though ! Did he steal your boyfriend? Did you lose money betting on him ?
This isn’t quarterback U
You certainly do hate Ray Lucas. There are many QBs that questionable season. Yet that your single target Ray Lucas. You a such a scumbag propping Gavin over actually guys who could throw a screen or an out!

Man, these guys dislike that Gavin was the starting QB here so much. Lol the man didn't even say Gavin was good, he said the team performed well with him as starting QB. But you can't say ANYTHING positive about Gavin without these coming in the thread saying how he was so bad and the team won in spite of him. They will purposely misrepresent your words in order to argue their specific points. I knew this would be a 5 pager. Plumstreet is saying Wimsatt was a serviceable QB that allowed the team to win 7 games, 3 or 4 more wins than they were projected to win. Also ran for more yards than any QB in Rutgers history. He didn't say he was better than ray Lucas, hes saying that a hall of fame QB at Rutgers isn't that much better than Wimsatt as far as leading his team. But these guys twist his words "you're saying Wimsatt is better than Lucas" lol 🙄If before the season someone said "RU wins 7 games this year" you all would have been ecstatic. I'm convinced some of you have allowed this board to influence you and are just piling on. It's college football not the NFL. Every team doesn't have pat mahomes or Joe burrow. Even NFL teams have a hard time finding QBs.. I can't think of the Nebraska QB name won the Heisman that one year, he couldn't throw at all. You want to believe Evan Simon was John elway, so wtf didn't the coaches get him in the game? Do they not want to win? Some of you guys don't even understand the concept of a delayed hand off but you know better than the coaches? Give me a break...move on and support AK-47...

Reactions: Plum Street
Man, these guys dislike that Gavin was the starting QB here so much. Lol the man didn't even say Gavin was good, he said the team performed well with him as starting QB. But you can't say ANYTHING positive about Gavin without these coming in the thread saying how he was so bad and the team won in spite of him. They will purposely misrepresent your words in order to argue their specific points. I knew this would be a 5 pager. Plumstreet is saying Wimsatt was a serviceable QB that allowed the team to win 7 games, 3 or 4 more wins than they were projected to win. Also ran for more yards than any QB in Rutgers history. He didn't say he was better than ray Lucas, hes saying that a hall of fame QB at Rutgers isn't that much better than Wimsatt as far as leading his team. But these guys twist his words "you're saying Wimsatt is better than Lucas" lol 🙄If before the season someone said "RU wins 7 games this year" you all would have been ecstatic. I'm convinced some of you have allowed this board to influence you and are just piling on. It's college football not the NFL. Every team doesn't have pat mahomes or Joe burrow. Even NFL teams have a hard time finding QBs.. I can't think of the Nebraska QB name won the Heisman that one year, he couldn't throw at all. You want to believe Evan Simon was John elway, so wtf didn't the coaches get him in the game? Do they not want to win? Some of you guys don't even understand the concept of a delayed hand off but you know better than the coaches? Give me a break...move on and support AK-47...

I don’t think it’s as much about Gavin as you think. At least in my case, it bothers me when folks like Al call Gavin a potential Heisman candidate or Plum indicates that Gavin’s stats are borderline RU hall of fame caliber because I think it does a disservice to other great RU players on a comparative basis - Kyle being at the top of the list.

The only way to rationalize anything “great” about Gavin’s stats is to look at them completely out of context and say “wow” he rushed for 11 TDs - that’s a record for an RU QB. He had even more that Kyle who led the BIG in rushing as a RB. “Wow!!!” I think that view is very unfair to the likes of KM. The reality is that in all likelihood Gavin was given those cream puff carries from the 1 and the red zone attempts vs. Wagner to boost his confidence and deflect attention away from the areas where he struggled. The suggestion that teams like Indiana, VTech, Miami, etc. where those TDs from the 1 were scored were so focused on stopping Kyle that a strategy of using Gavin instead was needed there is ridiculous. Kyle’s stats do not lie. There is no reason to believe he couldn’t have converted those 8 TDs. Zero. So yeah - at least for my part - I find the defenses of Gavin as an RU star indirectly insulting to other guys like KM which really bothers me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eagleton96
I don’t think it’s as much about Gavin as you think. At least in my case, it bothers me when folks like Al call Gavin a potential Heisman candidate or Plum indicates that Gavin’s stats are borderline RU hall of fame caliber because I think it does a disservice to other great RU players on a comparative basis - Kyle being at the top of the list.

The only way to rationalize anything “great” about Gavin’s stats is to look at them completely out of context and say “wow” he rushed for 11 TDs - that’s a record for an RU QB. He had even more that Kyle who led the BIG in rushing as a RB. “Wow!!!” I think that view is very unfair to the likes of KM. The reality is that in all likelihood Gavin was given those cream puff carries from the 1 and the red zone attempts vs. Wagner to boost his confidence and deflect attention away from the areas where he struggled. The suggestion that teams like Indiana, VTech, Miami, etc. where those TDs from the 1 were scored were so focused on stopping Kyle that a strategy of using Gavin instead was needed there is ridiculous. Kyle’s stats do not lie. There is no reason to believe he couldn’t have converted those 8 TDs. Zero. So yeah - at least for my part - I find the defenses of Gavin as an RU star indirectly insulting to other guys like KM which really bothers me.
Lol because it’s true. If Gavin stayed at Rutgers and was the starting QB in 24 and 25 and his numbers improved even slightly , he’s going to be borderline hall of famer by Rutgers standards .
Fred grunniger is in the hall of fame ? Do you think was a good AD?

I think you’re getting a little too emotional . I went back and read the thread and no one has insulted KM. No one !
Everyone would tell you he’s great and a hall of famer if his Rutgers career ended today . Relax ! a message board ! You’re dreaming up ways to get “ bothered”
Bottom line was Gavin was serviceable. He wasn’t really good, but he was good by Rutgers standards .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT