ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Happy 93rd Birthday William Shatner

Long before Star Trek, my sister loved Shatner as one of the brothers of the 1958 movie "The Brothers Karamazov." I remember watching him in a black and white movie late at night as a kid in a 1962 movie "The Intruder" where he plays a white racist who comes to a Southern town to stir up animosity between the black and white community.

The real background story was that they didn't tell the local townspeople the plot of the movie until they had filmed most of it (in Missouri). And then the townspeople wanted them out.

"My trip to space was supposed to be a celebration; instead, it felt like a funeral. It was among the strongest feelings of grief I have ever encountered. The contrast between the vicious coldness of space and the warm nurturing of Earth below filled me with overwhelming sadness."

Shatner is describing an experience known as the overview effect, which is a cognitive shift in how one thinks about Earth and life that many astronauts report feeling during spaceflight.

"Everything I had thought was wrong. Everything I had expected to see was wrong," he wrote. "I had a different experience, because I discovered that the beauty isn't out there, it's down here, with all of us. Leaving that behind made my connection to our tiny planet even more profound...

I realized that we had spent decades, if not centuries, being obsessed with looking away, with looking outside. I did my share in popularizing the idea that space was the final frontier. But I had to get to space to understand that Earth is and will stay our only home."

Last edited:
bX0LPDf.gif

f0z4EVR.gif

Last edited:
I'll see your Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds and raise you a Kevin Pollack doing Shatner in a three minute routine.

By the way, Shatner's staccato, overly dramatic, acting style actually goes back to when he was invited at the last minute to do Shakespeare In The Park. He had little time to learn his lines. So when he was on stage, he would "stall for time" to remember his lines by pausing and over-emphasizing the words. Some critic then wrote a review and raved about Shatner's "creative" approach to Shakespeare!

Kirk out.

Reactions: colbert17
Shatner's grandparents were all Jews from Ukraine
As Kirk he was the paradigmatic American but I still always think of him as "Canada nice."
Economics/commerce degree from McGill.

Better Late Than Never.... Ran for 2 seasons on NBC.... He was hilarious on that...

I met him back around 1975 while doing a high school school project that took me to Mercer County Comm. College. He was there all day shooting a commercial of some sort and I got to hang around and watch. Couple of exchanges here and there. He was a super nice guy then so not surprised it continued. Was always a favorite by both the men and women in our family growing up.

I have a funny story about this episode. I had played a game earlier that day against JFK (of Paterson) at the old Hinchliffe Stadium. It was hot and humid, and typically, I wouldn't say I like those days because my body can't take it. That night, I'm in bed with ice packs on my hamstrings. The episode starts, and I mentioned to my brother that the creature looks like the turf at Hinchliffe. As Shatner reacted in shock to the creature, I cramped my hamstrings. I yelled at the top of my lungs. My father runs into the room, turns the TV off, and yells at us. He said, "Stop watching stupid sh*t that will give you nightmares." For years, my mother would try to stop me from watching The Twilight Zone because she thought I was afraid. My brother would never let me live it down as he dressed up as the creature with ice packs on his hamstrings one Halloween.

Reactions: ashokan
I have a funny story about this episode. I had played a game earlier that day against JFK (of Paterson) at the old Hinchliffe Stadium. It was hot and humid, and typically, I wouldn't say I like those days because my body can't take it. That night, I'm in bed with ice packs on my hamstrings. The episode starts, and I mentioned to my brother that the creature looks like the turf at Hinchliffe. As Shatner reacted in shock to the creature, I cramped my hamstrings. I yelled at the top of my lungs. My father runs into the room, turns the TV off, and yells at us. He said, "Stop watching stupid sh*t that will give you nightmares." For years, my mother would try to stop me from watching The Twilight Zone because she thought I was afraid. My brother would never let me live it down as he dressed up as the creature with ice packs on his hamstrings one Halloween.

Lol that's funny - especially because I know what leg cramps are like.
When I go too far on the bike I can wake-up in the middle of the night for a torture session.
You feel that little twinge somewhere and you know what's coming lol
I use some apple cider vinegar in water now.
Brother's costume must have been funny

Reactions: cubuffsdoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT