ADVERTISEMENT

OT: House of the Dragon - Discussion

I saw it twice.
The episode was 🔥💥🔥

It made sense to me, but not perfect sense. I saw it coming 🐉🐲, but was a little uneasy on how it occurred. But i could see it happening. #2 🐲 should have known better.
yeah.. ^^THIS^^.. the idea was sound.. it made sense in the story.. but the big lumbering timing.. blind timing coming from below.. made zero sense.. unlike what it did some episodes ago.. which made physical sense. To explain the timing you'd have to assume it could use some sort of radar.. or "the force".. but if it had that then other things it does or fails to see would make zero sense.

yeah.. ^^THIS^^.. the idea was sound.. it made sense in the story.. but the big lumbering timing.. blind timing coming from below.. made zero sense.. unlike what it did some episodes ago.. which made physical sense. To explain the timing you'd have to assume it could use some sort of radar.. or "the force".. but if it had that then other things it does or fails to see would make zero sense.
Makes perfect sense. Vhagar/#1 being so big and lumbering would normally need a surprise chomp for a kill shot. #1 and rider was hiding behind the castle. They could see #2 coming via shadows or the angle (being a bit below). Then.....chomp. They had plenty of time to get in position. Heck, maybe this was rider #1's plan all along?

Makes perfect sense. Vhagar/#1 being so big and lumbering would normally need a surprise chomp for a kill shot. #1 and rider was hiding behind the castle. They could see #2 coming via shadows or the angle (being a bit below). Then.....chomp. They had plenty of time to get in position. Heck, maybe this was rider #1's plan all along?

Makes perfect sense that it would be the only way to trick #2.

Does not make perfect sense that it happened in spite of what we are telling ourselves would be methods that #2 used to surprise #1. Would in no way be quick enough. With that said, we do not have the VAR camera angle showing how it occurred so i am not losing sleep over something that is possible although a little unlikely. If that is the biggest annoyance, than they did good.

So many other shit in other shows/movies that I ignore until they start to insult my intelligence like Outlander or most Disaster movies where a vehicle outruns every possible catastrophic event

Reactions: T2Kplus20

Does not make perfect sense that it happened in spite of what we are telling ourselves would be methods that #2 used to surprise #1. Would in no way be quick enough. With that said, we do not have the VAR camera angle showing how it occurred so i am not losing sleep over something that is possible although a little unlikely. If that is the biggest annoyance, than they did good.

So many other shit in other shows/movies that I ignore until they start to insult my intelligence like Outlander or most Disaster movies where a vehicle outruns every possible catastrophic event
My expectations were sky high for this episode and I was still blown away. Not just the dragon battle, but also the characters, dialogue, and storytelling. Just amazing quality so far.

Reactions: mosito
Slow first half and then BOOM, outstanding second half of show. Totally unexpected what happened between Aemond and Aegon, interesting to see how Alicent and the court reacts. Sorry to see one of my favorite characters gone, "the Queen that never was", her and the sea snake are the two of the most decent characters and their nice family is being destroyed by both sides.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Slow first half and then BOOM, outstanding second half of show. Totally unexpected what happened between Aemond and Aegon, interesting to see how Alicent and the court reacts. Sorry to see one of my favorite characters gone, "the Queen that never was", her and the sea snake are the two of the most decent characters and their nice family is being destroyed by both sides.

At first I thought you meant Aegon. I really started to like the character and how the actor portrayed him this season.
Totally agree on Rhaenyra.
Ser Criston Cole - never expected his role to evolve how it has.
More grief for Alicent.
I wonder if Daemon will ever get his act together.... I would assume so, but he is on his own path.

pretty good

hate that she is gone and I think Rhinerya is playing this all wrong.

Disagree. Consider the first tangle between the two of them. The battle was there to be had. That the large one and rider could plan and spring a surprise attack from below and behind the castle makes zero sense.. Meleys (or whatever dragons's name was) was actively seeking out the large one, following its tracks. It sought battle. If the big one could see it to time and attack then it could see the big one. It was a BS encounter... a fail.

Not only that.. it was a failure to capitalize on Rhaenys' grimm determination to try to kill Daemond and the big one.. Vhagar even though it would probably kill her. It was almost as if she foresaw her death even as she admired Alyn's beauty. To die in a surprise attack that made no physical sense... weak. A lost opportunity.

Maybe it is a case of the source material.. which is basically an outline.. a timeline.. of what happened when,, like the battle of Rooks Rest happened this day and this dragon dies that day and crashed into the castle.. maybe that is what they go by and tried to figure out how to make that happen.. and in this case I think they failed. While the episode was exciting.. I wonder if this signals more 5th and 6th season GOT-like highlights reel episodes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morrischiano
GOT last seasons were definitely fails.

I agree with lost opportunity to make the episode "perfect"

But i wouldn't say makes no sense.

Reactions: Morrischiano
Disagree. Consider the first tangle between the two of them. The battle was there to be had. That the large one and rider could plan and spring a surprise attack from below and behind the castle makes zero sense.. Meleys (or whatever dragons's name was) was actively seeking out the large one, following its tracks. It sought battle. If the big one could see it to time and attack then it could see the big one. It was a BS encounter... a fail.

Not only that.. it was a failure to capitalize on Rhaenys' grimm determination to try to kill Daemond and the big one.. Vhagar even though it would probably kill her. It was almost as if she foresaw her death even as she admired Alyn's beauty. To die in a surprise attack that made no physical sense... weak. A lost opportunity.

Maybe it is a case of the source material.. which is basically an outline.. a timeline.. of what happened when,, like the battle of Rooks Rest happened this day and this dragon dies that day and crashed into the castle.. maybe that is what they go by and tried to figure out how to make that happen.. and in this case I think they failed. While the episode was exciting.. I wonder if this signals more 5th and 6th season GOT-like highlights reel episodes.
Makes perfect sense. You are grasping at straws just to complain. The angle was correct for Vhagar to ambush and surprise Meleys. Rhaenys was also logical to turn back to battle. Vhagar would eventually outrun and catch up with her. Also, she has some guilt with not taking care of the Greens in Season 1 episode 9.

Makes perfect sense. You are grasping at straws just to complain. The angle was correct for Vhagar to ambush and surprise Meleys. Rhaenys was also logical to turn back to battle. Vhagar would eventually outrun and catch up with her. Also, she has some guilt with not taking care of the Greens in Season 1 episode 9.
Makes sense that is why she turned back to behind with.... I kept thinking WHY!!! Run Run....

No. I am not "grasping" just to complain. It did not make sense. Instead, I suggest, you are just blindly supporting it to complain about my opinion. Yeah.. the angle is fine.. IF the ambush happened faster past the castle where Vhagar would have time to SEE his target. His target could have appeared ANYWHERE.. but he predicted.. and timed it perfectly.. to get his target as it cleared teh castle.. BLIND LUCK? It is completely teh opposite of when he snapped up the kid and his dragon.. tracking him through the clouds from below where he could see the dragon above but the dragon rider above could not see him. This was a BS blocking of a fight scene.. one done in CGI.. I suppose it was cheaper to do it this way. Less time for the graphic artists and less rendering time to extend the scene another 10-20 seconds. And exciting.. BLINDLY exciting.

Last edited:
No. I am not "grasping" just to complain. It did not make sense. Instead, I suggest, you are just blindly supporting it to complain about my opinion. Yeah.. the angle is fine.. IF the ambush happened faster past the castle where Vhagar would have time to SEE his target. His target could have appeared ANYWHERE.. but he predicted.. and timed it perfectly.. to get his target as it cleared teh castle.. BLIND LUCK? It is completely teh opposite of when he snapped up the kid and his dragon.. tracking him through the clouds from below where he could see the dragon above but the dragon rider above could not see him. This was a BS blocking of a fight scene.. one done in CGI.. I suppose it was cheaper to do it this way. Less time for the graphic artists and less rendering time to extend the scene another 10-20 seconds. And exciting.. BLINDLY exciting.
95%+ reviewer score for the episode on various sites. Pretty much nobody agrees with you.

95%+ reviewer score for the episode on various sites. Pretty much nobody agrees with you.
Apples and oranges. Besides, I don't change my opinion based on what others missed or ignored because the episode had lots of good dragon-on-dragon action.

You keep pretending I have some agenda to hate on the show rather than someone disappointed in a single element of an otherwise good episode. You insist that dragon attack made physical sense.. why? It clearly did not. They took a short cut for an exciting scene. I know it. No doubt the people working on the show know it.

Yeah.. I can still enjoy the episode and the show. But you insisting it made sense? No. That dog don't hunt.

Look yourself, again.. we are given an over-the-shoulder view of Meleys flying over the castle... no Vhagar in sight.. and yet Vhagar knows where Meleys will emerge. Didn't even have to crane its neck to take a big bite out of Meleys neck. Just a perfect path of attack.. BLIND. It is bogus. 99%, 99% approval.. 100% approval doesn't change physics.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTGERS95
It was an excellent episode in a series full of sleepy scenes. The foolish and marginalized king gets killed. We’ve seen this before in GOT and it is always a boost to the story line.

It was an excellent episode in a series full of sleepy scenes. The foolish and marginalized king gets killed. We’ve seen this before in GOT and it is always a boost to the story line.
They've made us wait. Even showing us the end results of battle's without showing the battle's themselves.

Pretty smart I thinks.

They've made us wait. Even showing us the end results of battle's without showing the battle's themselves.

Pretty smart I thinks.
Battles needs set-up, meaning, consequences, and have to be earned. Otherwise, you just have random and pointless Marvel battles or Star Wars lightsaber fights.

This is why episode 4 was so universally praised. Not just the quality of the dragon battle, but also the quality of the story.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU-05
So I read on X somewhere that episode 7 will deviate from the books fairly substantially. As a book reader, I’m good with that unless it involves some politically correct crap - like Rhanyera kissing what’s her face which was clearly just a PC move. At least I don’t recall that from the book. In any case, looking forward to see what they’ve done with the storyline.

So I read on X somewhere that episode 7 will deviate from the books fairly substantially. As a book reader, I’m good with that unless it involves some politically correct crap - like Rhanyera kissing what’s her face which was clearly just a PC move. At least I don’t recall that from the book. In any case, looking forward to see what they’ve done with the storyline.
There is a lot of speculation that an existing character in the TV show will claim a particular dragon instead of a yet to be seen different book character. Pretty much meaning that book character is not included in the show. Totally fine if this happens. Can't do everything.

Also, tons of conflicting rumors and opinion on when the next big battle (Gullet) will happen. E8 to close season 2 or E1 of season 3. I have no idea.

Reactions: Crazed_RU
Battles are meaningless without story, set-up, and stakes. Plenty of mayhem so far this season.
That's what went wrong with the later seasons of GOT. They didn't have full-fledged novels.. and long ones at that.. to work from. They had an outline of this happens and that happens and that's what the show became. A rough outline of a show.. a timeline recounting... crib notes barely fleshed out.

That's what went wrong with the later seasons of GOT. They didn't have full-fledged novels.. and long ones at that.. to work from. They had an outline of this happens and that happens and that's what the show became. A rough outline of a show.. a timeline recounting... crib notes barely fleshed out.
Agreed. Dumbass Dan and Dave wanted to end of series as quickly as possible, so they just jumped from event to event to event and ruined years of story, context, and payoff. Also, think about Marvel. Battle after battle after battle. All to save the fate of the universe. Big moments need to be earned. They can't be artificial.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
There’s been too much exposition this season. Want more battles, mayhem and sex.
Try Obliterated on Netflix. I think it has what you are looking for. (not a joke, not an insult.. serious suggestion who for those who want hard-R-rated fast action with comedic overtone) Also.. that show knows what it is and leans into it.

Last edited:
Very good episode 7. Lots of dragons being claimed and I like the drama surrounding Aegon and Aemond.
Any thoughts on the season finale and what will overflow to E1 season 3? We may get a mix/combo of a few battles.....Gullet, Honeywine. Fishfeed. Not sure.

Any thoughts on the season finale and what will overflow to E1 season 3? We may get a mix/combo of a few battles.....Gullet, Honeywine. Fishfeed. Not sure.

I'm very curious to see whether the character that dies in the book during that naval battle is going to die in this episode. I suspect that will be one of the season's ending cliffhangers as I do believe we'll see a big battle with Vermithor, Silverwing, Seasmoke and Vermax. It's already obvious who is going to be claiming Sheepstealer, which is one less character introduction that they decided to do for the series. I suspect she won't actually do it until next season since we haven't even seen the dragon yet, only the signs of it. From a series budget perspective that is one less dragon they need to do CGI on right now. Not sure how they are going to close out Daemon's Season 2 storyline.

I'm very curious to see whether the character that dies in the book during that naval battle is going to die in this episode. I suspect that will be one of the season's ending cliffhangers as I do believe we'll see a big battle with Vermithor, Silverwing, Seasmoke and Vermax. It's already obvious who is going to be claiming Sheepstealer, which is one less character introduction that they decided to do for the series. I suspect she won't actually do it until next season since we haven't even seen the dragon yet, only the signs of it. From a series budget perspective that is one less dragon they need to do CGI on right now. Not sure how they are going to close out Daemon's Season 2 storyline.
They have clearly gotten better at producing CGI more economically. GOT debuted way back in 2011.. and they even avoided showing the dire wolves much at all... never mind the dragons. If they remake GOT in the 2030s for the next generation it should really be something visually... where tech will be by then. They did use awesome real-world locations and sets.. but tech is going to make it so much more economical to do a fantastic job.

Battles are meaningless without story, set-up, and stakes. Plenty of mayhem so far this season.

I've been reflecting on this for a while ...

Was listening to the Prestige TV pod as they were discussing the last episode of Presumed Innocent (GREAT show; highly recommend) and the hosts were bemoaning how the networks pay by the episode and not for the entire season. Presumed Innocent, they think (and I agree) could have been done just as well with one or two fewer shows. Too much fluff that drags the show on. I feel the same way with HOD.

Though not quite as good as GOT (mostly because there are no characters quite as compelling as Tyrion or even Jaime Lannister. BTW, I thought the last episode was pretty awesome, even again absent the big set piece battles in recent episodes.

The pacing issues have been:
  • Daemon - How long do his visions have to go on before we fully understand he's going mad? I was okay with the first batch of dreams/hallucinations, but it has grown tiresome (and rarely work in any context). I was pleased to see the plot of his character move along in the last episode.
  • Rhaenyra/Alicent Hightower. I like how these powerful women represent the idea of keeping peace and prosperity within the kingdom while also playing chess matches to consolidate their power. However, this has gone on for too long. Their indecision dulls some of the early S2 epdisodes. The latest episode does move things along for Rhaenyra (Great! - more dragons). Alicent deciding to go camping at least got her out of her over-extended power struggle with Aemond. Perhaps she's off in the woods while dragons burn up her sons.
Once again, the last episode was great, with the dragon burning up the bastards at the end of show one of the best-ever scenes in HOD or GOT. So looking forward to the finale on Sunday.

I've been reflecting on this for a while ...

Was listening to the Prestige TV pod as they were discussing the last episode of Presumed Innocent (GREAT show; highly recommend) and the hosts were bemoaning how the networks pay by the episode and not for the entire season. Presumed Innocent, they think (and I agree) could have been done just as well with one or two fewer shows. Too much fluff that drags the show on. I feel the same way with HOD.

Though not quite as good as GOT (mostly because there are no characters quite as compelling as Tyrion or even Jaime Lannister. BTW, I thought the last episode was pretty awesome, even again absent the big set piece battles in recent episodes.

• Daemon - How long do his visions have to go on before we fully understand he's going mad? I was okay with the first batch of dreams/hallucinations, but it has grown tiresome (and rarely work in any context). I was pleased to see the plot of his character move along in the last episode.
  • Rhaenyra/Alicent Hightower. I like how these powerful women represent the idea of keeping peace and prosperity within the kingdom while also playing chess matches to consolidate their power. However, this has gone on for too long. Their indecision dulls some of the early S2 epdisodes. The latest episode does move things along for Rhaenyra (Great! - more dragons). Alicent deciding to go camping at least got her out of her over-extended power struggle with Aemond. Perhaps she's off in the woods while dragons burn up her sons.
Once again, the last episode was great, with the dragon burning up the bastards at the end of show one of the best-ever scenes in HOD or GOT. So looking forward to the finale on Sunday.
A few things. The point of Daemon's visions is not that he is going mad, but rather him coming to terms with his past, his relationship with his brother, and his overwhelming ambition to become King at any cost. The last scene with Viserys may have been the climax of Daemon's understanding of what the crown really means and if he truly wants it.

Character development is sometimes slow, as it damn well should be when characters are fundamentally changing their beliefs and who they are. Look at Disney Star Wars and Marvel for garbage character development where people change their minds/POVs on a dime just because the plot needs them to. No logic.

The most powerful moment of HotD season one was literally a dying old man walking across a room. This was in episode 8 and it was so powerful because it was earned. The decaying old king willing himself to his throne one last time in attempt to set things right because he loves his family. Could this have happened in episode 7 instead? Maybe. Could this have happened in episode 2 or 3? No f'ing way. You can't artificially create meaning and emotion. This is what garbage shows try to do like Rings of Power.

I'm fine with taking a little more time to get somewhere instead of getting there too quickly and ruining a big moment.

Most of this season deviated from the books, I don’t understand what they are doing here.

I struggled with this early, and didn't even watch beyond S1 E1 initially(granted I was between cable companies for a stretch) but once I got into it, I'm not sure I find this cast of characters any less compelling then GOT.

FYI - almost the entire finale episode got leaked online yesterday. LOL! Most of the videos have been taken down by HBO already, but there are spoilers everywhere. I read about Daemon's arc/scenes and they are very interesting. Not sure if good or bad yet. However, I have decided to avoid the rest and just wait until Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT