ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Huge Fire at Industrial Park in Hillsborough

Preach.

I grew up in Sayreville, between National Lead, DuPont and Hercules. There's half a dozen Superfund sites between those three complexes.
And I bet you and your friends found the hole in the fence just like me and my pals so you could go exploring didn't ya. :chairshot:

And I bet you and your friends found the hole in the fence just like me and my pals so you could go exploring didn't ya. :chairshot:

We didn't have to find holes in fences.

Hercules was right through the woods across from my house. Maybe half a mile as the crow flies. It made the massive explosions and fires that much more fun, when they would happen about once every 10 years.

Reactions: koleszar
Middlesex Bound brook Bridgewater Man ville Hillsborough all sitting on thousands of tons of the toxic goodies we grew up with above ground in the 60's and 70's. Draw a 5 mile ring around Veterans and you have some of the worst of the worst

Growing up on my parents well water it was the best I have ever had

Last edited:
Middlesex Bound brook Bridgewater Man ville Hillsborough all sitting on thousands of tons of the toxic goodies we grew up with above ground in the 60's and 70's. Draw a 5 mile ring around Veterans and you have some of the worst of the worst
Explains a lot.

Preach.

I grew up in Sayreville, between National Lead, DuPont and Hercules. There's half a dozen Superfund sites between those three complexes.

I used to swim in Lake duhernal as a kid.
Preach.

I used to swim in Lake duhernal as a kid. Would love to know what was in that water. Actually I don't want to know so I can sleep at night.

The smoke filled the sky at RU. On Livingston it covered the south first and then around 6 the northern part of the sky was black smoke. Crazy

they do say its not toxic although it used to hold mercury:fire:

That is just silly. Some smoke may be worse than others depending on what is burning. But in a massive warehouse fire like this, it is irresponsible to put out information suggesting the smoke is non-toxic. It is not.

This guy, a doctor no less, should be fired for this: "According to Hillsborough Township Health Officer Dr. Glen Belnay the smoke is believed to be nontoxic."

Two firetrucks lost to the conflagration. Positioned in an alley between two buildings when the fire jumped.

Funny, well maybe not, a group of us at our Superbowl party were talking about how growing up we used to ride our dirt bikes behind Cyanamid on the Banks of the Old Raritan when we were kids. How if we didn't have cancer by now there's probably a good chance we'll never get it.Talk about being a superfund baby, we grew up in superfund sites, man did we get the luck of the draw. Luckily for Toms River those companies decided to let them in on the fun as well with all the illegal dumping there.
When I was growing up in Highland Park in the 60's, we used to play near the river in Donaldson Park all the time. The Raritan ran a deep red color, thanks to all the dumping upstream. Between that and the mosquito trucks, its amazing we are still here to talk about it.

Midland School
You're right down the road from me - we're next to the Hyatt House. I meet up with a couple of other RU folks at Willie McBride's or the Stoney Brook Grille occasionally for Happy Hour to talk RU football. You should join us!

Reactions: shields
All 700 voting machines used for Somerset County that were stored there were all.destroyed.
Schools are also closed. No fire/police/emt support. Plus air quality around Sunnymead School must not be too great. I've counted 6 helicopters flying over the area. Black smoke still bellowing the sky.

Last edited:
Don't think sprinklers would have helped. My mothers power was restored last night but smoke still streaming around her sky.

Where we're fire sprinklers?
Sprinkler systems are designed specifically for the construction and intended use of the building. This includes assumptions on how high certain materials are stored and the overall arrangement of a warehouse. Facility/Warehouse managers should abide by whatever those rules are for their particular location, but often times they don't, which basically renders sprinklers close to useless in some fires.

Aside from that, some shit just burns hotter and faster than other stuff.

Insurance nerd here -- can you tell?

Reactions: RU5781
I saw the plume of smoke just a little while ago driving into work - I wonder how long it will burn.

When I was growing up in Highland Park in the 60's, we used to play near the river in Donaldson Park all the time. The Raritan ran a deep red color, thanks to all the dumping upstream. Between that and the mosquito trucks, its amazing we are still here to talk about it.

Nothing was more fun than running behind a mosquito truck.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
Hadn't been following this, but what is the name/names of the businesses involved in the fire? By law, these businesses must have on file a Material Data Safety Sheet for any and all components stored on site, no? How is it so hard to identify this?

I read that the Hillsborough Fire Dept had repeatedly raised the risks of old/insufficient sprinkler systems and water supply to these warehouses.

"Bob Considine with New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection confirmed Friday morning that there's no air quality issues resulting from the fire."
Why do these guys lie like this? Are they stupid or something? btw it is still burning and the giant column of toxic smoke is still there.
http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/2016/02/hillsborough_schools_closed_after_massive_warehous.html

Why are you assuming that they are lying? The DEP is monitoring the smoke and says they have not detected any toxins in the smoke.

Hadn't been following this, but what is the name/names of the businesses involved in the fire? By law, these businesses must have on file a Material Data Safety Sheet for any and all components stored on site, no? How is it so hard to identify this?
For all hazardous materials. If it's non-hazardous you don't need an SDS. Also non-hazardous in it's normal state does not mean it doesn't produce a hazardous combustion product.

For all hazardous materials. If it's non-hazardous you don't need an SDS. Also non-hazardous in it's normal state does not mean it doesn't produce a hazardous combustion product.

Yes. Sure. So? No indication from any public/private source as to what hazardous and/or non-hazardous components are stored/used at this facility? No business name/s? Why the mystery?

Why are you assuming that they are lying? The DEP is monitoring the smoke and says they have not detected any toxins in the smoke.

I know they are lying. Some smoke might be worse than others, depending on whats burning, but to say the smoke is non-toxic is not true. This was an old warehouse, tar roofs, wood and plastic inside, and who know what was stored in there, you really think the smoke from that burning was non-toxic? Trust me, you don't want to be breathing it if you don't have to. The smoke is not non-toxic.

All 700 voting machines used for Somerset County that were stored there were all.destroyed.
Schools are also closed. No fire/police/emt support. Plus air quality around Sunnymead School must not be too great. I've counted 6 helicopters flying over the area. Black smoke still bellowing the sky.
Actually, the voting machines are okay, as of now. They are in an adjacent building that hasn't caught fire yet. The county is trying to get them out in case that building goes up as well.

I know they are lying. Some smoke might be worse than others, depending on whats burning, but to say the smoke is non-toxic is not true. This was an old warehouse, tar roofs, wood and plastic inside, and who know what was stored in there, you really think the smoke from that burning was non-toxic? Trust me, you don't want to be breathing it if you don't have to. The smoke is not non-toxic.
It all depends on your definition of toxic. In the strict sense of the word it may not be toxic - do you want be breathing it (or any smoke for that matter) probably not.

Yes. Sure. So? No indication from any public/private source as to what hazardous and/or non-hazardous components are stored/used at this facility? No business name/s? Why the mystery?
No need to get snippy. Just pointing out that you don't need an SDS for everything as you stated.

No need to get snippy. Just pointing out that you don't need an SDS for everything as you stated.

"Snippy." Hadn't heard that in a while. Flashback to my Aunt Rose circa 1966. Seriously, no ill intent with my comment. Just curious as to why the obvious hasn't been shared, unless I missed it, which really was the reason I asked.

"Snippy." Hadn't heard that in a while. Flashback to my Aunt Rose circa 1966. Seriously, no ill intent with my comment. Just curious as to why the obvious hasn't been shared, unless I missed it, which really was the reason I asked.
All the other aside, I agree with you on the apparent lack of info.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT