ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hurley targeted by Lakers

It would seem to me that Hurley would need to dial back his game day coaching intensity to be successful in the NBA given the 82 game grind. Hurley and LeBron would be an interesting partnership. I wonder if they reached out to check Jay Wright's interest before approaching Hurley. According to Woj, the changes in the college athletics and the NIL grind at a non power school like UConn are reasons why he would consider leaving for a grandfather offer.

Maybe Hurley wants to follow Billy Donovan model leaving after winning two National Championships.He is clearly the top college coach who is a very demanding and creative as seen with UConn half court offense destroying opponents by double digits.The NIL and the transfer portal makes college coaching less attractive.

Love Pike but I don’t see how his brand of basketball would be even remotely attractive to the back to back ncaa champion offensive juggernaut program of UConn. Being an alumni is not the main qualification for the job.
Exactly. He's a good coach but he doesn't walk on water as some here might believe.

Would only be a second or third tier candidate mentioned because he's an alum.

Oh boy. Very Rutgersesque if UConn would target Pike w this incoming class.
Actually I saw this as a possibility . But it was with Hurley going to Kentucky.
Plum looks at all the angles

Reactions: superfan01
I'm more interested in what happened with J.J. Reddick.

It's been said he was basically a done deal to the Lakers for the past 2-3 weeks.

Reactions: PaKnight
Some funny comments online.

"Dan Hurley may “have a proven track record of being able to lead a basketball team to success and ability to adapt midgame” but he has zero NBA made threes.
Coach Redick clears easily"

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I'm more interested in what happened with J.J. Reddick.

It's been said he was basically a done deal to the Lakers for the past 2-3 weeks.

Sounds like the Hurley thing was happening all along. Love JJ and his knowledge, but it seemed like a really awkward fit to hire a guy who has never coached into a win now situation.

Reactions: NickRU714
I can only explain this so many times....it is not about UConn or Hurley....UConn will hire another good coach and support that coach as much as possible financially/NIL etc....but at the end of the day, UConn was DOA in the AAC and has a lifeline on a raft of the Big East.

No SEC or B1G coach is going to UConn, unless they overpay....there's no financially viable future in the Big East. It's simply not sustainable and that's why Hurley is considering it.

Hurley is not a West Coast guy....that's how drastic the situation is in the Big East that he is in discussions to take this job, off back to back National Titles.

The titles ring hollow when there's no future for the entire athletic department at UConn. Even making into the ACC 2 years ago would have appeared to solve problems, but football, not hoops is a UConn albatross.

They'll hire another coach and I wouldn't bet against UConn winning another title in the next 5 years. But without a.real conference, does it ultimately matter??

Reactions: MightyMikeNice
I can only explain this so many times....it is not about UConn or Hurley....UConn will hire another good coach and support that coach as much as possible financially/NIL etc....but at the end of the day, UConn was DOA in the AAC and has a lifeline on a raft of the Big East.

No SEC or B1G coach is going to UConn, unless they overpay....there's no financially viable future in the Big East. It's simply not sustainable and that's why Hurley is considering it.

Hurley is not a West Coast guy....that's how drastic the situation is in the Big East that he is in discussions to take this job, off back to back National Titles.

The titles ring hollow when there's no future for the entire athletic department at UConn. Even making into the ACC 2 years ago would have appeared to solve problems, but football, not hoops is a UConn albatross.

They'll hire another coach and I wouldn't bet against UConn winning another title in the next 5 years. But without a.real conference, does it ultimately matter??

Some are saying Nate Oats could be a target.

Wonder if they could lure Jay Wright back to coaching.

If anyone wants to join me, I’ll be dynamiting the bridges and tunnels to keep those ****ers out of NJ.

(Also, FBI, if you’re reading this. It was a joke. I wouldn’t even know where to buy dynamite).

In 2024 the only thing that matters is if there is a fanbase willing to pay players. I don't think conference affiliation is all that important right now. Plus BE is fine for basketball.

1. Lakers should be interested in Hurley
2. Hurley should be interested in Lakers
3. UCONN should be interested in Pike
4. Pike should be interested in UCONN and $ he might make over RU.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I don’t really get what you’re saying here. It’s not like he’d be leaving UConn to coach at San Diego State. He’d be leaving for one of the most storied franchises in the NBA.

In 2024 the only thing that matters is if there is a fanbase willing to pay players. I don't think conference affiliation is all that important right now. Plus BE is fine for basketball.

1. Lakers should be interested in Hurley
2. Hurley should be interested in Lakers
3. UCONN should be interested in Pike
4. Pike should be interested in UCONN and $ he might make over RU.
If it was just about the boost in immediate income then Hurley would have gone to Kentucky. There were other considerations that held him back. There are other factors at work for Pike as well vs “should be interested in UCONN and $ he might make over RU.”

Hurley gonna make the Schiano mistake.

I don't think so. Lakers aren't a perennial cellar dweller like the Bucs were. There's a ton of talent on the roster and Hurley is walking into a win now situation - and coaches in bball have less control of their players in 2024 than football coaches did in 2011. Hurley is both a hard ass and a players coach. Greg was just a hard ass.

Also, Hurley is just a much better coach than Greg ever was.

Sounds like the Hurley thing was happening all along. Love JJ and his knowledge, but it seemed like a really awkward fit to hire a guy who has never coached into a win now situation.
JJ had all the signs of potentially being another Steve Nash, seemed very risky to go in that direction with a first time coach. Plus he loves to golf, which just doesn’t work if you are an NBA head coach.

Reactions: RUGiddy777
JJ had all the signs of potentially being another Steve Nash, seemed very risky to go in that direction with a first time coach. Plus he loves to golf, which just doesn’t work if you are an NBA head coach.

Good point. And KD got along really well with Nash at golden state.

I don’t really get what you’re saying here. It’s not like he’d be leaving UConn to coach at San Diego State. He’d be leaving for one of the most storied franchises in the NBA.
The Lakers (& Celtics) are 2 of the most storied franchises.....one (Boston) would make absolutely perfect sense. LA that climate with ownership, is not exactly attractive by NBA factors.

LeBron is a pain in the neck.

Anthony Davis is fragile and disappears for extended stretches.

The last 2 coaches they hired were like 4th and 5th choices (Frank Vogel and Darvin Ham).

Tons of other coaches in CBB and NBA should be running to take the job......no one ultimately wants the job or to work with Jeanie Buss.

Hurley is going to push the Lakers to make an overwhelming offer, but they could also do that and take another high profile NBA coach, who's won games. (They could have hired Ty Lue weeks ago before the Clippers paid and extended him with a ton of money).

I don't think UConn is impacted in any way by Hurley leaving. It's a relatively easy conference to win (Nova is no longer that good) and while Marquette and Creighton are consistent, it's about as far as it goes in league.

If UConn had a financial future, in a real conference, I don't think this happens.

Hurley leaving speaks to where UConn as a school and conference stands in the college landscape. None of it makes sense to me.

Boston....?? 1000%

LA Lakers??? No clue how he arrived at this being a good decision.

Lakers or Kentucky??? Thats probably the 2 places from a location or culture fit that makes no sense to me.

Hurley gonna make the Schiano mistake.
no because he's smarter than Schiano. He stays. As far as I'm concerned, the Lakers can suck for a decade. I'm tired of them. They are not entitled to being good and relevant every damn year. No team in sports is

• Haha
The Lakers (& Celtics) are 2 of the most storied franchises.....one (Boston) would make absolutely perfect sense. LA that climate with ownership, is not exactly attractive by NBA factors.

LeBron is a pain in the neck.

Anthony Davis is fragile and disappears for extended stretches.

The last 2 coaches they hired were like 4th and 5th choices (Frank Vogel and Darvin Ham).

Tons of other coaches in CBB and NBA should be running to take the job......no one ultimately wants the job or to work with Jeanie Buss.

Hurley is going to push the Lakers to make an overwhelming offer, but they could also do that and take another high profile NBA coach, who's won games. (They could have hired Ty Lue weeks ago before the Clippers paid and extended him with a ton of money).

I don't think UConn is impacted in any way by Hurley leaving. It's a relatively easy conference to win (Nova is no longer that good) and while Marquette and Creighton are consistent, it's about as far as it goes in league.

If UConn had a financial future, in a real conference, I don't think this happens.

Hurley leaving speaks to where UConn as a school and conference stands in the college landscape. None of it makes sense to me.

Boston....?? 1000%

LA Lakers??? No clue how he arrived at this being a good decision.

Lakers or Kentucky??? Thats probably the 2 places from a location or culture fit that makes no sense to me.

Mostly agree with you, but it’s the Lakers. Not an indictment of UConn.

If it was just about the boost in immediate income then Hurley would have gone to Kentucky. There were other considerations that held him back. There are other factors at work for Pike as well vs “should be interested in UCONN and $ he might make over RU.”

1. A college coach wouldn't want to deal with the crap coaches now have to deal with.
2. I don't know if Pike would make the move to UCONN. He still has family in CT and his youngest child I believe has only 1 year left in HS

Wouldn't there be more time to golf as a NBA coach...You aren't spending time recruiting

I don't think so. Lakers aren't a perennial cellar dweller like the Bucs were. There's a ton of talent on the roster and Hurley is walking into a win now situation - and coaches in bball have less control of their players in 2024 than football coaches did in 2011. Hurley is both a hard ass and a players coach. Greg was just a hard ass.

Also, Hurley is just a much better coach than Greg ever was.

Not sure the Lakers situation is as rosey as you're painting it. If Lebron and Russell choose to return, the team will be flirting with the Second Tax Apron which will essentially hamstring any roster moves. Also James is 40 and Davis is 31 and always hurt with a salary which will balloon to >$60M per season over the next several years.

Hurley strikes me as a controlling type coach which has not meshed well recently on any Lebron team. Lakers would likely have to clear the roster over time which would essentially put them in a re-build. If Hurley came to the Lakers money would likely be a significant driving factor.

Reactions: Ruthinking
What does the Lakers situation look like in 2026, 2028, 2030 and beyond.

A $150 million contract over 10 years would be over when leBron is 50

What does the Lakers situation look like in 2026, 2028, 2030 and beyond.

A $150 million contract over 10 years would be over when leBron is 50

If I am not mistaken, they will still be the Lakers in 2026 and beyond.

Jokes aside, I dont think they really need to build through the draft because they are the Lakers. If they've got money to spend, they will get great players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT