ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Hurley targeted by Lakers

Your comments are comical!

Facts!

NCAA Basketball Champions:
- Four Big East teams in the last 8 years, Big Ten ZERO
- Nine Big East teams in the last 2 decades, Big Ten ZERO
- The most recent Big East Champion two months ago, Big Ten 23 years ago

The Rankings are subjective year in and year out. You can bet your bottom dollar that the football conferences get a heavier thumb on the scale. The proof of the best conferences in any sport are in the number of championships, and no conference comes close to the Big East in college basketball.

Long suffering RU fans need to be weary of the following scenario:
- Hurley gets a mega deal from the Lakers
- Pike gets an offer from UConn, and accepts
- Ace and Harper follow Pike to UConn

Another fan of a big East team (like RUdivision) with their subjective conspiracy theory “the computer rankings are rigged to favor the football conferences”.

The big east is top heavy - so yes the big east has gotten championships but the big 10 is always faaaaaaaaar deeper every year - hence why it always gets ranked higher and gets more teams in this. Guys - this isn’t hard to understand.

Give me one solid, objective ounce of proof that the algorithm behind the NET computer ranking are purposely rigged to favor the football conferences. Absent that you’re just offering your biased opinion. My comments about the big10 being ranked higher every year is based on facts/ computer rankings.

If the mountain west had one great team some year that won the championship (but then the rest of the conference was crap) - is that the “best conference”? Comical . But that’s your argument.

and thanks for expressing your wish regarding the Hurley situation .

Funny how shu fans continue to obsess about RU (as evidenced by your being here) and the RU related threads on your board (which are always far more prevalent than discussion of SHU on this board …. which is basically non existent). I wonder why that is 🤔

You obviously despise RU and are desperately hoping your scenario comes true for RU… yet I (and most RU fans) really couldn’t give a crap about SHU. Facts

Again , I wonder why that is

Last edited:
Reactions: Local Shill
Pike will be a top contender if Hurley leaves and the trolls posting in this thread want Pike gone hoping RU will return to the living dead.
But UConn will remain in house with Kimani Young taking over and if Tom Moore stays Young will have a good chance to keep the Huskies a top program without overpaying for a replacement.
Pikiell's buyout might be a problem for UConn to be poaching the HC that has put Rutgers on the College Basketball map again

Last edited:
Agree. Hurley used the Lakers well. LeFlop will have to find someone else to blame.

Wanted to throw out an optimistic thought.
Hurley leaves.
UCONN players can immediately enter portal.
We still have a spot open for a center.
Clingan would be a tremendous fit on this team.
Most other teams are filled up on roster spots.

• Wow
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Hurley leaves.
We did recruit him back in the day.

2 more wins and the Celtics move past the Lakers with the most NBA championships at 18. I wonder if that turns up the heat in LA to get a deal done. I think he already told Uconn, already met with the team, and will announce today he is taking the Lakers job. Lakers would have done this much more behind the scenes if it there wasn't a deal in progress. They're the media mavens

Hurley leaves.
You are joking right? Clingan is in the draft, he will go top 10, and it is too late for him to return to college, the cut off date to pull out has passed.

I think he stays-----Lakers are a bad job.

I think it's especially bad for a first time NBA HC.

Wait for the Nets to open----that seems to happen pretty frequently.

He might indeed stay but If I were him I'd be gone in a NY minute. Southern Cal vs Storrs, CT. You're essentially an instant celebrity and in the Hollywood scene overnight. Fat money, What's the downside? Fired after a few years with 10's of millions in the bank? Who cares. College blue bloods would welcome him back with open arms. It's a no brainer to me.

He might indeed stay but If I were him I'd be gone in a NY minute. Southern Cal vs Storrs, CT. You're essentially an instant celebrity and in the Hollywood scene overnight. Fat money, What's the downside? Fired after a few years with 10's of millions in the bank? Who cares. College blue bloods would welcome him back with open arms. It's a no brainer to me.

You make a lot of good points

But who knows what’s in the man’s head

like all guys of his position you know he has to have a huge ego - does that push him towards LA (for the reasons you cite)

Or away (the possibility of failure and fear of a stain on his legacy?)

And regarding legacy - if he stays at uconn and keeps doing what he’s doing he has a legit shot at one day being considered one of the best coaches in the history of college basketball. Maybe that’s really important to him? More so than the $$$. Different people are noticated by different things

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I have a gut feeling Hurley would be dreadful in the NBA. I don’t think his whole shtick would fly there. Kinda like Schiano at TB.

So he can collect his massive paycheck and if he fails come back and have his pick of college jobs.

Am I the only one who thinks Pikiell would rather stay here and be a program builder? Going to a place that just won back to back national titles is a pretty tough gig.

6y/$78m is a terrible offer by the Lakers.
Detroit gave Monty Williams 6y/$78.5m just last year.

This seems like it was all a rouse to end up with JJ?

Looks like those who said he's staying got it right.
>Dan Hurley has turned down a career-altering job offer from the Los Angeles Lakers and will remain in college basketball as UConn's coach, a source confirmed to CBS Sports. If ever there was an event to firm up Connecticut's blue-blood status, this is it. Despite being presented with a mammoth contract that outsized UConn's bidding price, Hurley nevertheless spurned the NBA's most glamorous franchise to stay in Storrs, Connecticut, and will continue to oversee the best program in the sport.<

now to see if UConn sweetened the pot or if it will happen

Don't know if this is true or not but heard somewhere that Hurley's dream NBA job is with the Knicks. Current Knicks coach Tom Thibodeau is currently 66 years old and likely to sign a 4 year contract extension. Maybe a future opportunity for him to consider.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
Hurley is a East Coast guy who is in a position to make UConn the premiere men's basketball program after winning two straight national championships.His half court offense has resulted in double digit wins during the NCAA Tournament.He will have no problem attracting elite recruits even with the NIL.

Last edited:
no because he's smarter than Schiano. He stays. As far as I'm concerned, the Lakers can suck for a decade. I'm tired of them. They are not entitled to being good and relevant every damn year. No team in sports is
I never do this, and it feels gross gloating about being right, but I'm usually wrong so much, I'm taking the W when I can. Why go to LA and that mess? Glad Hurley is staying in Conn...better basketball job as far as I am concerned.

LA Lakers can begin sucking for the next 10 years.

Sometimes you have enough $ and say to yourself do I need to be tortured by LeBron and not be in complete control knowing that based on history I'll certainly be fired in a year or two. His problem now is he better win a national championship next season. By the way who wants to uproot their and their families lives to live in LA. Aren't there masses of people running away from there. Lol

Tell us your family stopped inviting you to family functions without telling us your family stopped inviting you to family functions.
What? Weird comment replying to a funny picture. Maybe you didn't get it. He has a red nose because he's a clown.

What? Weird comment replying to a funny picture. Maybe you didn't get it. He has a red nose because he's a clown.

This is the basketball forum, this thread is about Dan Hurley, not how much space the California governor occupies in your head.

This is the basketball forum, this thread is about Dan Hurley, not how much space the California governor occupies in your head.
Guy above me mentioned people leaving Cali, that's what I was responding to. Sorry we confused you. Carry on with your window licking.

Guy above me mentioned people leaving Cali, that's what I was responding to. Sorry we confused you. Carry on with your window licking.

Anyway, I'm sure it's been a while since anyone cared enough to pay attention to you in real life, so I guess I'm happy you got a moment on here, annoying strangers on a message board. Savor it.

Your comments are comical!

Facts!

NCAA Basketball Champions:
- Four Big East teams in the last 8 years, Big Ten ZERO
- Nine Big East teams in the last 2 decades, Big Ten ZERO
- The most recent Big East Champion two months ago, Big Ten 23 years ago

The Rankings are subjective year in and year out. You can bet your bottom dollar that the football conferences get a heavier thumb on the scale. The proof of the best conferences in any sport are in the number of championships, and no conference comes close to the Big East in college basketball.

Long suffering RU fans need to be weary of the following scenario:
- Hurley gets a mega deal from the Lakers
- Pike gets an offer from UConn, and accepts
- Ace and Harper follow Pike to UConn
why are you here?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT