ADVERTISEMENT

OT: If I hear/see one more thing about Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift........

I’m not an especially big fan, I enjoy what I hear, but mostly just know the hits that get a lot of airtime. With that said, its easy to see in those songs how she’s managed to transcend the teen girl market, hold her original fans as they’ve grown, and attract new fans. Her maturation as a person is evident in her songwriting, and the growth is very relatable to listeners.

As a simple example: when she was young there was the naive, romantic innocence of “Love Story” (You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess It's a love story, baby, just say, "Yes"). Fast forward to Red and 1989 as Swift explores her 20s and that youthful belief in one true love is replaced with a fun and playful cynicism in relationships. Instead of lovers being Romeos, they are “trouble” and short flings fill the “blank space”…any hurt is temporary and she can “shake it off” (after all “heartbreakers are gonna break break break”). But as youth passes so does that bright outlook and unshakeable faith that everything works out…and that’s evident in recent darker stuff like “anti-hero” (“my depression works the graveyard shift…I should not be left to my own devices, I end up in crisis.”)

There’s musical maturation and an ability to stay current…like Madonna, for example…but in Swift’s music you feel like you’re following a life and perhaps seeing some of your own too. For people my age (only a little older than Swift), it’s especially poignant — we heard her 20s party songs when we were partying at bars and enjoying our 20s, and now listening to her heavier stuff as we leave the late night parties behind and explore the real complexities adulthood ourselves.

Let see what happens after 55...Madonna was aging gracefully up til then

@MADHAT1 hates when I post MBG, but I feel compelled here. Don't know how to react:

Excited Ric Flair GIF
OR
backing up homer simpson GIF

Thanks to Douglas MacAruthur's Pipe for getting it.

Knight Shift has jumped the shark.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
1377177199000-madonnaclose.jpg
Let see what happens after 55...Madonna was aging gracefully up til then
Good God, Madonna has completely ruined her face. She could have aged gracefully with light surgery but instead went full bore into the drastic face surgery and looks like a circus freak.

The one thing that Elvis had going against him were those awful movies. If MTV was around back then he would have cleaned up. Instead he had to make crappy movies to highlight 3 or 4 songs.
Those movies were 31 things going against him.

I’m not an especially big fan, I enjoy what I hear, but mostly just know the hits that get a lot of airtime. With that said, its easy to see in those songs how she’s managed to transcend the teen girl market, hold her original fans as they’ve grown, and attract new fans. Her maturation as a person is evident in her songwriting, and the growth is very relatable to listeners.

As a simple example: when she was young there was the naive, romantic innocence of “Love Story” (You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess It's a love story, baby, just say, "Yes"). Fast forward to Red and 1989 as Swift explores her 20s and that youthful belief in one true love is replaced with a fun and playful cynicism in relationships. Instead of lovers being Romeos, they are “trouble” and short flings fill the “blank space”…any hurt is temporary and she can “shake it off” (after all “heartbreakers are gonna break break break”). But as youth passes so does that bright outlook and unshakeable faith that everything works out…and that’s evident in recent darker stuff like “anti-hero” (“my depression works the graveyard shift…I should not be left to my own devices, I end up in crisis.”)

There’s musical maturation and an ability to stay current…like Madonna, for example…but in Swift’s music you feel like you’re following a life and perhaps seeing some of your own too. For people my age (only a little older than Swift), it’s especially poignant — we heard her 20s party songs when we were partying at bars and enjoying our 20s, and now listening to her heavier stuff as we leave the late night parties behind and explore the real complexities adulthood ourselves.
Nice post. I'm definitely a fan, although not a crazy fan. I liked her early country-ish stuff right off the bat, as it was just melodic straightfoward, honest country/pop songwriting and it was great to see a female artist writing her own songs and playing instruments. And she obviously expanded on all of that in the ensuing 15+ years, conquering the worlds of country, pop and rock, as well as becoming pretty fluent in hip-hop/R&B and indie, capturing those influences in a number of hits. She's also a helluva businesswoman, especially with her rerecordings of her earlier albums so she owns them all, as well as masterminding some of the biggest, most lucrative tours ever seen. Also very easy on the eyes, although probably not someone one wants to be an ex with.

Are people seriously comparing Taylor Swift, a corporate created pop singer, with Elvis, the Beatles and Michael Jackson?

Have you heard her music? Have you listened to the lyrics?

You will feel dumber after you do. I am not too old to be completely outside the target audience and I can't name one song. The one's I've heard beyond some of the big hits contain some of the poorest written lyrics I've heard in major pop music.

The number of song-writers, engineers and experienced studio musicians putting together 'her' music could likely fill your office space. They deserve the credit for making her music catchy.

The general population may be getting dumber as time goes on, but that doesn't mean that she's as talented or as famous as some of the greats that have graced our ears in the last 100 years. I'm not condoning Michael Jackson in his later years but he's the closest comparison given his music. The King of Pop had more talent in his pinky finger than Taylor Swift has in her whole being.
First two bolded- you really have no clue about TS and what she does outside of just sing her songs. Heck- I don't put her anywhere near the groups and singers who changed music- Beatles, Elvis, NJ etc but...she is not created. She writes her own stuff and pretty much controls everything else.

On the 3rd bolded- sounds like you very much respect MJ's career in music. Though, I would say his lyrics may be the most interesting, thought provoking and and inspirational. While he had many hits that did not fall into this catagory, he had so many that could really look deep into the world we lived in.

Music writer Fred Bronson believed that the Beatles' music will likely become the classical music a century or two hence.
Elvis was the front man for a world changing movement using music as the vehicle.TPTB went all out to stop him and it, but failed.
No one is trying to stop her.
As a classical music and opera fan AND a large Beatle fan, I can tell you that Fred Bronson is full of shite.

No one will ever replace Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Mahler, Verdi, etc.

Reactions: Knight Shift
I'm going to jam a pencil in my ear/eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well OP, I think you've proved your point - there is absolutely no appetite for this Taylor Swift nonsense in football! Us football fans are built different - we don't have time for this love crazed singer whose fanbase consists of a bunch teenage girls and is dating one of our own gladiators......as we quickly round page 5 on to page 6 of this thread in about 24 hours!!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: bac2therac
As a classical music and opera fan AND a large Beatle fan, I can tell you that Fred Bronson is full of shite.

No one will ever replace Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Mahler, Verdi, etc.

Who said replace? Funny, I took a music survey course taught by a concert pianist who ended up at the New England Conservatory. When asked if any of today's (70s) music would last 150-175 years. Answer "Sgt. Peppers"

Who said replace? Funny, I took a music survey course taught by a concert pianist who ended up at the New England Conservatory. When asked if any of today's (70s) music would last 150-175 years. Answer "Sgt. Peppers"
Were talking apples and oranges.
Personally, I think Sgt. Peppers is the most important ground breaking pop album EVER.
Will it last 150 years- I don't know.

BTW, being 72 years old I lived through every minute of Beatle Mania. ( happily )

Well OP, I think you've proved your point - there is absolutely no appetite for this Taylor Swift nonsense in football! Us football fans are built different - we don't have time for this love crazed singer whose fanbase consists of a bunch teenage girls and is dating one of our own gladiators......as we quickly round page 5 on to page 6 of this thread in about 24 hours!!!! 🤣🤣🤣
I guess you need to improve your reading comprehension skills. I made no mention of anyone else’s appetite for the Kelce/Swift situation. I only stated that I wished to hear/see no more about their relationship (whatever that may be).

Her music is marginal at best, especially her newer stuff. It's pop and is what it is. Nothing wrong with that.

The best thing about TS is that her family had a house in Stone Harbor when she was growing up (for about 15 years). As a very young tween/teen, she routinely performed live at various places including in front of Springers.

And is still rocking SH swag (from a few months ago):

images

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
Thank you I apprciate that.

I was once an art history major who hated Reagan - and went to lots of theater parties - so I dont take people's politiocs too personal lol. Politically " I've Been Everywhere" as Johnny Cash said lol.
Ashokan that was a very thoughtful and thorough post on TS. I actually learned a few things. You’re intelligent in the posts that are away from the CE board

Reactions: BossNJ and ashokan
First two bolded- you really have no clue about TS and what she does outside of just sing her songs. Heck- I don't put her anywhere near the groups and singers who changed music- Beatles, Elvis, NJ etc but...she is not created. She writes her own stuff and pretty much controls everything else.

On the 3rd bolded- sounds like you very much respect MJ's career in music. Though, I would say his lyrics may be the most interesting, thought provoking and and inspirational. While he had many hits that did not fall into this catagory, he had so many that could really look deep into the world we lived in.
Isn't it unbelievable how someone could call Swift a "creation" of a corporation? She's as real as it gets in music these days... and I think that's why she has so many fans.. precisely because she is not some cookie-cutter clone of whatever sells. She is her own creation.. and you cannot even suggest that she is the product of a particular cultural trend.

The news just reported that double the tickets have been sold for the Jets game, and Kelce jerseys have jumped up 400%.
yeah if you are Jets fan with season tickets in uppers prob worth it to drop a line on stubhub for $500/ticket , might get a dad with some money whose daughter is bugging him to go because tiktok said she will be in the building.

FYI, Kelce brothers just dropped a podcast episode that will break records and they give a shoutout to Brian Leonard and his Leonard Leap era.
Yea, they where talking about the Eagles RB Swift leaping over a guy in their game Monday night, and Jason goes something like "Do you remember who the best at that was?" and they talk for a few seconds about Leonard. About 19 minutes in to the episode.

So will Taylor Swift one day. Time takes its crazy toll.
You cannot blame it all on time. She has had plenty to do with it with all her reconstructive surgeries. She could have aged gracefully with just some lite cosmetic work but instead decided to go over the top with the surgeries. She looks like a freak.

Reactions: BossNJ
Ashokan that was a very thoughtful and thorough post on TS. I actually learned a few things. You’re intelligent in the posts that are away from the CE board

Thank-you - I have a book and CD coming in spring so watch this space!
I stopped CE posting a few years ago - its just a volley of insults - more heat than light. Its entertaining for awhile but then gets old.

You cannot blame it all on time. She has had plenty to do with it with all her reconstructive surgeries. She could have aged gracefully with just some lite cosmetic work but instead decided to go over the top with the surgeries. She looks like a freak.

Madonna never looked good young either. With the hairy pits she reminded me of a war prostitute. She fit the image too being driven around town in a limo looking for guys on the street

Check out Swift at 16

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BossNJ
Britney, jettisoned the ONE person who was trying to protect her from herself....her father. Britney, her "advisors" and her fans took care of the one person who was the ONLY one looking out for her best interests. Her father tried as best he could to prevent the legions of vultures who live off others money and fame from getting hers.
He was publicly called out and shamed in front of the world for simply trying to protect his daughter. Now Britney will burn through her millions and be left desparate and destitute. If it is not obvious to everyone she is a desperate woman trying to hold onto relevancy and failing miserably at it. I will be sad when it all comes crashing down around her but I doubt her father will step up again to protect his daughter.

Reactions: Rokodesh
This seems totally necessary.

I don't think it about ketchup or next album but the Swift/Kelce thing seems maufactured. Pop stars been doing th fake relationships and "beefs" for a long time now

Last edited:
Reactions: Jm0513
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT