ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Important: Preparing for Coronavirus

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Provided by Cardiologist Friend presently working on the frontlines:

My advice for my non-medical friends (3/19/20):

1. Stay calm. With all the news you are reading, remember that 80% of cases do not need hospitalization in this country. You are distancing yourself so that the other 20% don't overwhelm our hospitals all at once.

2. Healthcare workers need personal protective equipment (PPE). If you bought a bunch of masks (especially N95 masks), gloves, gowns, face shields, etc, please consider keeping a couple of regular masks for yourself (in case you need to go to the hospital/clinic) and donating the rest to your local hospital or urgent care, or dropping them off with a friend who you know is working in healthcare. You do not need these if you are staying home, but the doctor in the hospital needs them when intubating grandma so that s/he can stay well enough in order to intubate your friend's grandma in 3 weeks.

3. If you are hearing stories about chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine working for COVID, please don't go asking for these and stockpiling them. If you are already on these for other conditions, make sure you have 30-90 days worth. For COVID, these are preliminary stories and small studies suggesting they may work and we will not giving them at this time to people with no symptoms or mild symptoms. Doctors may be trying them for patients with severe symptoms in the hospital, because we are going to try anything (after checking it won't do harm to that particular patient) for the really sick/near death patients.

4. If you feel symptoms (fever, cough, diarrhea, muscle aches), isolate yourself from others you are living with (stay in a separate room, use a different bathroom, use a different towel), take some tylenol and monitor yourself. Do not go to a clinic or ER for just mild symptoms. If you develop shortness of breath and it is worsening, then decide whether you need to go to the hospital (threshold will be lower for people with underlying lung/heart disease or who are immunocompromised), or be checked out at an urgent care/clinic (call them beforehand to know what their protocol is).

5. Do NOT go to the ER for anything that is not an emergency; cut your finger and won't stop bleeding, need a stitch/steristrip --> go to urgent care; cut off your finger --> go to the ER. Having acid reflux --> take a TUMS and if bad telehealth visit or urgent care; having chest pain you think is a heart attack --> go to ER.

6. NOW is a great time to talk about the plan if someone needs to go to the hospital (not later when you are driving there). If it is an emergency, call 911. Otherwise, how will you get there with as little exposure to others as possible (private car with a mask on is best). The hospital will mostly like not let anyone else in the ER with the sick patient, family will have to wait outside. If the sick person is admitted, one visitor may be allowed to the patient's room. The rules are going to be different for each hospital but prepared that the whole family and especially kids are not going to be allowed to visit the admitted person. Also be prepared that if you are sick and trying to visit someone in the hospital, they will not let you in. We are also not letting sick family members/caregivers into the clinics. Please note that this does not just apply to people 60+, there are young people getting sick too, so be prepared for anyone to end up in the hospital.

7. Now is also a great time to see if your health system or doctors office is doing telehealth visits, I.e. visits over video call. If they are not, you can search online for other companies that are (restrictions have been lifted during COVID, so that you can see a doctor in another state via teleconferencing). This is a great way to see your personal doctor for non-COVID needs without putting you at risk of being exposed in the clinic. Look into it now because it may take a little troubleshooting to download the right software/app and get it set up. Younger, tech savvy people, help your less teach savvy parents/grandparents/aunts/uncles/etc.

8. If you don't have a primary care doctor, now is also a great time to research online to find one in your area that takes your insurance. You are not going to establish with them right now and you won't see them for probably 6 months, but if you have time on your hands, do the research. As soon as the covid craziness dies down, call to make an appointment. I see lots of people that come to clinic and say "I am healthy, no medical problems" - my first question is "when was the last time you saw a doctor?". For many it has been years (and I understand sometimes it is because of insurance/financial reasons, but many times it is not). If you don't look for problems, you won't find them; many of these people are overweight, have high blood pressure or cholesterol, and are prediabetic/diabetic. Take care of yourselves and that includes seeing a doctor regularly.

9. Lastly, get off the computer/phone. I am making sure I do this myself. Take time to have conversations with others in your household or over the phone with family/friends. Read a book. Do a puzzle. Write some letters/cards. Clean a closet or the entire house. Find new healthy recipes online. Have a dance party.

Stay safe and sane!!
And feel free to share.

Reactions: Morrischiano
This was the only thing needed to be said from that message:

1. Stay calm.

This was the only thing needed to be said from that message:

1. Stay calm.

three of my friends already have it because they’re health professionals. A number of people in my hometown have gotten it. NYC has over 4K cases.
Chances are this is going to eventually touch you or someone you know, so keep this handy.

Reactions: brutusandwoody
Sharing a friends advice:

My latest post to my non-medical friends that I thought I would share here. Many of you may particularly like #2.

March 20, 2020
Neelima Nadella, MD, FACC, Cardiologist, NYC

To my non-medical friends, part II
I had such a good response to my other post that I decided to write again with more practical advice for the weeks and months ahead. But some of this advice also applies to everyday life, and issues that comes up every day for us in healthcare (numbers 1, 3, and 4), but many patients have never done these; now is a great time to talk about your health and your wishes with your loved ones – because you are stuck at home with them and/or may have some time on your hands to think about what you want and to have these discussions.

1. First, let’s recognize that our front-line healthcare workers in the hospitals (ER staff, ICU staff, hospital floor staff) are working hard. Let’s make life a little easier for them by being prepared when we go to the hospital. You should have your medical history in hand and I made a form to help you (see link below). Why is this important? You may end up at a hospital or system that you don’t usually go to because of where there is availability or because of where an ambulance takes you. Even if you end up in the system you usually go to, the information in the chart is sometimes wrong (particularly the medication list – I find errors 99% of the time). Also, your spouse or adult child or other caregiver, who usually helps you with your medical history, may not be able to come into the ER with you, so each sick person needs to have their own information. Lastly, remember that you are going to the hospital because you are really sick and likely short of breath; it may be hard for you to tell the doctors all of this history because of how bad you feel. So fill out this form and take it with you (Section B is also great for non-COVID hospital visits and anytime you go see a new doctor): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UmIiApFT-LgEitjm1YdZuCaMqHmC_v3iQy5hPelnJuY/edit?usp=sharing

I recommend you have one of these forms ready for each member of the family.
Please download the form to your own computer before you start adding to it or everyone will see your information on the shared site.

2. Second, found this great tool from the people at Emory that can help you decide if you need to go the hospital. Enter your age and symptoms and it will give you a recommendation:
https://c19check.com/start

3. Who is your health care power of attorney? Who is the one making medical decisions for you when you are unable to make them for yourself? You need to designate one person, and a back-up person. You need to talk to these people and let them know they are the chosen ones; talk to them about your wishes (see #4). Let your whole immediate family know who the chosen decision makers are. Each person needs to respect the decision the patient has made (now is not the time for “it should be me! I should be making the decisions for mom/dad!).

4. Fact: we will all die. It may be next week, it may be in 10 years, it may be in 60 years. Everyone needs to speak with their family and especially their health care power of attorney about their end of life wishes – even if you are young and healthy. And it should be talked about intermittently throughout life as your health and your personal situation changes (spouse has dementia, divorce, kids grow up and can be the surrogate). As someone who has had numerous discussions about end of life care with patients and with family members, it is so much easier on everyone (family and doctors) when the patient has had this discussion ahead of time. The healthcare power of attorney can say “I know what s/he would want in this situation because s/he told me what kinds of things s/he wanted and didn’t want, so I know the right decision to make”. These things you want and don’t want are called advance directives and here’s a resource to help you have these discussions:
https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/advance-care-planning-healthcare-directives.

5. Smoker? Like to vape? Now is a great time to quit. Why? Your airway have little hairs in them called cilia; these cilia help to fight infection in the lungs. When you smoke, you damage these cilia. When you quit smoking, even if it has been years, these cilia can come back quickly. If you quit now and get the virus in 2-3 weeks, you may give yourself a little more of an advantage to fight it. A good resource:
https://smokefree.gov/quit-smoking/why-you-should-quit/benefits-of-quitting

6. This one is for all those spring breakers on the beach in Florida and those who think subway-pole-licking (yes, someone did this) is a good idea: young people do get COVID and you can end up in the hospital. Just because people may not die, does not mean they don’t get very sick and require hospitalization. Love the beach? Hopefully you’ll be out of the hospital/rehab to enjoy it this summer, but you may need a new bathing suit to cover the scars from your hospitalization. If you have authority over any of these young people doing idiotic things, you have my permission to break the 6-feet barrier and slap them upside the head – just wash your hands before and after.

7. Don’t overdo it on the news. Do you really need hourly updates on the COVID numbers? No. Pick 2-3 news sites that you feel having been giving you good information, check them twice a day. Recommend having one local news site or watching your local news, just so you know the rules/updates/declarations/etc that apply to your area. Things feels like they are constantly changing, but a lot of the information is the same stuff being regurgitated. This will help with your mental health.

8. Get off of social media. Check in once or twice a day. Set a timer for 15 min or 30 min (you think that’s a long time but you have probably been on there for hours each day without realizing it) and turn off your phone or computer when the timer goes off. Stay sane; this will help with your mental health.

9. For those who are crafty and want to help, some people have started making face masks at home for healthcare workers. These are not what we want our frontline people (ER, ICU, etc) people wearing, but I think they would be good for those taking care of non-COVID patients in healthcare settings and for non-healthcare people when they go to the grocery store or pharmacy. They would free up masks for those who ARE working for COVID patients. Also, they would be environmentally friendly as they can be washed and reused. Before you start making for your local healthcare, call and see if they can use them. Here is the pattern/instructions: https://courierpressblogs.com/pdf/howtomakeafacemask.pdf

10. I think the COVID virus is going to create a profound shift for many people as they reflect on their lives with the health, economic and daily changes happening. For those with time who are contemplating your life as a whole and what direction you have taken and are taking, I highly recommend “7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen Covey. I have make it about halfway through before this crisis struck. I have heard about this book for years but recently got around to starting it. I thought it was business related but it is actually LIFE related. He has a lot of great exercises to think about your life, take command of your life, and to focus your life in the direction that coincides with your values. It is free on Kindle if you have Amazon Prime.

Feel free to share…just include my name, title and the date, as I think it is important to have appropriate sources for material we are sharing/reading on social media.

Reactions: RUDave_01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT