ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jackie Robinson Story

rudad02

All American
Nov 7, 2010
Here's my Jackie story for what it's worth.
As a young fella growing up in Brooklyn in the 40's & 50's I first idolized my father & then on the Big League ballfield Jackie Robinson.
Years latter in my late 20's I was living in the Albany area, still playing ball & ironworking on the massive South Mall Project[Nelson A Rockefeller Plaza]. Most days I brought my lunch but on this particular day I hadn't, so I came down from the iron & went across State Street & into the Capitol & it's little cafeteria. As I started down the main hall hard hat on, wrenches clanking a figure emerged from the cafeteria half way down the hall.
A business suit[he was working for Rocky & Chock Full of Nuts then], close cropped salt & pepper hair, & that pigeon towed gait. I knew right away it was Jackie.
I yelled out like a 7 yr old "Jackie Robinson". We were the only people in the hall & came toward each other. We came abreast of each other & stopped.
I blurted out "Jackie, you were my greatest fan". He smiled & went on & I was left with my mouth hanging open, having gotten it ass backwards & blown a chance to tell him that I had watched him in Brooklyn & how much I admired him & how he played, not to mention trying to find a way to get his autograph.
Talk about a Big League "choke".

Last edited:
As a young fella growing up in Brooklyn in the 40's & 50's I first idolized my father & then on the Big League ballfield Jackie Robinson.
Years latter in my late 20's I was living in the Albany area, still playing ball & ironworking on the massive South Mall Project[Nelson A Rockefeller Plaza]. Most days I brought my lunch but on this particular day I hadn't, so I came down from the iron & went across State Street & into the Capitol & it's little cafeteria. As I started down the main hall hard hat on, wrenches clanking a figure emerged from the cafeteria half way down the hall.
A business suit[he was working for Rocky & Chock Full of Nuts then], close cropped salt & pepper hair, & that pigeon towed gait. I knew right away it was Jackie.
I yelled out like a 7 yr old "Jackie Robinson". We were the only people in the hall & came toward each other. We came abreast of each other & stopped.
I blurted out "Jackie, you were my greatest fan". He smiled & went on & I was left with my mouth hanging open, having gotten it ass backwards & blown a chance to tell him that I had watched him in Brooklyn & how much I admired him & how he played, not to mention trying to find a way to get his autograph.
I can positively understand this.

Reactions: RUfinally2008

Look at it this way - he might have remembered you for a long time lol.

• Haha
Reactions: RUfinally2008
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT