ADVERTISEMENT

OT (kinda?): Lax Final UMD/Cornell

RU23

All American
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2010
UMD up 5-1 early in the 2nd quarter…the game is over and was before it started for all intents and purposes.

Curious where those who have followed the sport for decades would rank this Maryland team all-time. Better than all except maybe 1990 Syracuse?

Maryland isn't even trying to score in the 4th quarter. And as a result Cornell got back in the game

Props to Cornell on a gritty 2nd half, outscoring MD 5-2 and playing suffocating defense on the vaunted Terps attack.

Final of 9-7, but you get the feeling Cornell would’ve tied the game with another 5 minutes of playing time.

Props to Cornell on a gritty 2nd half, outscoring MD 5-2 and playing suffocating defense on the vaunted Terps attack.

Final of 9-7, but you get the feeling Cornell would’ve tied the game with another 5 minutes of playing time.
No shame in the way Cornell played. They should hold their heads up high. Maryland is lucky they ran out of time.

Maryland isn't even trying to score in the 4th quarter. And as a result Cornell got back in the game

Not the case until the last 3 minutes. Cornell outhustled them for the comeback. And their ride got more effective as Marylad tired. Wish a couple of their shots late had not gone low to McNaney's stick side. He gobbled those up all day.

UMD up 5-1 early in the 2nd quarter…the game is over and was before it started for all intents and purposes.

Curious where those who have followed the sport for decades would rank this Maryland team all-time. Better than all except maybe 1990 Syracuse?

Turned not to be over so early. But this Maryland team will still rank up there with the best. The Gait-Marachek Syracuse teams are there as well. I'd also put the 1976 Cornell and Maryland teams up there. They met undefeated in a final that went to overtime. Tough to make an exact comparison given the difference in equipment, but each team was loaded with AAs and had some immortals. Urso for Maryland and McEneany and French for Cornell.

Cornell was the hottest team in the tourney, no doubt. They were playing very well.

Congrats to Maryland. That is the greatest college lacrosse team I've personally ever seen.

I watched the final with a friend who played @ MD in the 90s. He said this was best team he’s ever seen and it’s not very close.

The Syracuse team of 90 was great but it only had super high end talent in a few guys. Maryland is much deeper. That Syracuse team also cheated and had their title vacated so it isn’t really in the discussion no matter how much Syracuse guys try to pretend that isn’t true.

Cornell's ride on Saturday and Monday was the best I saw all year, very disruptive.

I don't know what made it so good but they have figured something out.

Cornell's ride on Saturday and Monday was the best I saw all year, very disruptive.

I don't know what made it so good but they have figured something out.
Agree. Very disruptive. Seemed like they had 2 or 3 extra guys out there. That was key in their victory over RU as well. Tough to clear.

Reactions: DowntownT_Brown
Turned not to be over so early. But this Maryland team will still rank up there with the best. The Gait-Marachek Syracuse teams are there as well. I'd also put the 1976 Cornell and Maryland teams up there. They met undefeated in a final that went to overtime. Tough to make an exact comparison given the difference in equipment, but each team was loaded with AAs and had some immortals. Urso for Maryland and McEneany and French for Cornell.
I was fortunate to have attended several Cornell lacrosse games in 1976 at Schollkopf Stadium, fun times and some great teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT