ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Legalization of Marijuana in NJ

It is not going to happen any time soon.

Bankers and big pharma (both HUGE in New Jersey) lead the anti-marijuana movement because legal marijuana would dramatically reduce the need for many prescription drugs - meaning sales losses in the billions. Of course, bankers and big pharma will have the inside hand for control over the legal dispensaries.....meaning some of those billions would get recovered.

No, it's really not.

The only people who think pot is addictive are the people who have never really smoked pot.
I'm in college I've smoked pot and all 400 people I know I smoke pot, and none of them can stop even when they want to, if you think the pot now is the same weak ass stuff from the 1960's you're highly wrong

I'm in college I've smoked pot and all 400 people I know I smoke pot, and none of them can stop even when they want to, if you think the pot now is the same weak ass stuff from the 1960's you're highly wrong

Science disagrees.

I have also never met anyone who was "addicted" to weed, so I'm pretty sure you're just making shit up.

Reactions: goldb80 and TreyA

It's not the weak ass stuff from the 60s that's the problem. It's you and your weak-ass friends.

I've had plenty of the best this generation has to offer. It's not addictive. You and your friends are just lazy.

Christie's tenure is almost over, and Sweeney and other lawmakers are looking to legalize the sale of marijuana in the State. I think legalization following the Colorado model is a no brainer. It's no more dangerous than alcohol. It will bring in tremendous tax revenues. It will also remove a tremendous burden from police and the criminal justice system.

Talk amongst yourselves.

latest

no-effin-way.gif

Be careful what you wish for!!!! I was recently in Denver and spoke with the local police about the issue.
The overdoses of THC with people nowadays is phenomenal because the potency today is so much greater than back in the day when you scored a joint. The homeless population in Denver is as bad, if not worse, than that of D.C. I ran into homeless and/or beggars on EVERY street corner in downtown Denver. It was pathetic!

I am not opposed to the legalization of marijuana. And yes, I made an excellent purchase at a dispensary in Denver during my trip, but every thing has a cost; money or in quality of life.

I agree that marijuana should be legalized. Still, if I had a child or grandchild, I would try to discourage him or her from consuming a lot of marijuana. There are side-effects for some young people , and we probably don't know all of those side-effects. Moreover, today's marijuana is much purer than what most people on this board smoked, and so the side-effects are stronger today than they were. And, by the way, marijuana can be addictive, although this happens to only 10% of the smoking population. It's OK to smoke casually (sharing a joint), but I would caution against doing much more than that.

I have read that states such as Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine and possibly Connecticut are getting much closer to legalizing. So if that's the case, the smuggling ideas decrease for NJ...

I agree that marijuana should be legalized. Still, if I had a child or grandchild, I would try to discourage him or her from consuming a lot of marijuana. There are side-effects for some young people , and we probably don't know all of those side-effects. Moreover, today's marijuana is much purer than what most people on this board smoked, and so the side-effects are stronger today than they were. And, by the way, marijuana can be addictive, although this happens to only 10% of the smoking population. It's OK to smoke casually (sharing a joint), but I would caution against doing much more than that.
I talked openly with my kids about the stuff. I dispelled the bullshit about pot, told them it won't kill them, that it's not even as dangerous, day to day, as drinking is, etc. But I also told them that if they were going to mess with that stuff, they should wait until college or later because what it CAN do, what I've observed it doing, is change a kid's personality and rob a kid of motivation.

I also pointed out that it's highly carcinogenic and I have a friend who smoked pot constantly who died from it.

The talk seemed to have worked as none of my kids, through HS at least, seemed the least bit interested in it. They could've been lying, but they openly told me about other stuff they knew I might not like so not sure why they'd lie about that.

Last edited:
It's working here in Denver. Dispensaries are popping up everywhere, even in top-end neighborhoods. i can walk 5-10 minutes in any direction and get the highest quality product in the world. One problem though is young of-legal-age adults buying and then selling to teenagers. There's high penalties for that but it seems to be happening anyway.

No Mormon cartels sneaking weed into SLC metro in their magic underwear or corn trucks heading back to Omaha stuffed with doobage?

Reactions: RUJohnny99
It can be psychologically addictive. But so can just about anything. Being a fair bit older than you, and having known an awful lot more people than 400, in HS, college, work, etc., I can tell you that very few ever displayed any kind of addiction to pot. The number I'm aware of is almost certainly in line with the number of people who have addictive personality issues anyway.

Be careful what you wish for!!!! I was recently in Denver and spoke with the local police about the issue.
The overdoses of THC with people nowadays is phenomenal because the potency today is so much greater than back in the day when you scored a joint. The homeless population in Denver is as bad, if not worse, than that of D.C. I ran into homeless and/or beggars on EVERY street corner in downtown Denver. It was pathetic!

I am not opposed to the legalization of marijuana. And yes, I made an excellent purchase at a dispensary in Denver during my trip, but every thing has a cost; money or in quality of life.
All true. But having it be illegal isn't stopping anybody I've ever known, so all the money spent preventing it's use is wasteful. And we're putting money in the hands of the cartels.

Overdoses of THC?

Wait, what?

Reactions: RickB113 and ATIOH
Overdoses of THC?

Wait, what?

It is possible, but it somewhat stretches the definition of "overdose".

You can't actually die. You can, however, get really sick. The vast majority of these incidents come from edibles - it's much easier to eat too much THC than to smoke too much.

Overdoses of THC?

Wait, what?

Yes, you CAN overdose on the active element THC. Strong paranoia and heart palpitations can occur. I bought the liquid form at the dispensary, black cherry flavor. Acceptable taste, excellent results. I hadn't gotten "high" in 40 years but enjoyed my excursion while in Denver!

I am starting to think I would look great in a grey ponytail and a beard!

It's not the weak ass stuff from the 60s that's the problem. It's you and your weak-ass friends.

I've had plenty of the best this generation has to offer. It's not addictive. You and your friends are just lazy.
Like Clint Eastwood said, it's a pussy generation

Yes, you CAN overdose on the active element THC. Strong paranoia and heart palpitations can occur. I bought the liquid form at the dispensary, black cherry flavor. Acceptable taste, excellent results. I hadn't gotten "high" in 40 years but enjoyed my excursion while in Denver!

Ohhh, that type of "OD".

We all have that friend who OD's every time they smoke and completely ruins the high for everyone else because he "can't find his pulse" :joy:

Reactions: gj8964
I was in Colorado with my daughter this summer on a school trip. Colorado Springs, Manitou Springs, Denver, Boulder, Estes Park - I haven't seen so many homeless people in years. Also huge percentage of the panhandlers were in 20s. Panhandling and vagrancy seem a whole lot more common where drug use is tolerated.

That song, btw, sounds even better if you get stoned before listening. :D

It can be psychologically addictive. But so can just about anything. Being a fair bit older than you, and having known an awful lot more people than 400, in HS, college, work, etc., I can tell you that very few ever displayed any kind of addiction to pot. The number I'm aware of is almost certainly in line with the number of people who have addictive personality issues anyway.

It definitely can be addictive. Most treatment professionals don't really differentiate between physical and psychological. The mind and body are connected. People that are addicted definitely can have measurable withdrawal symptoms. Maybe not to the extent of ETOH or benzos, but it can definitely be problematic for a good deal of folks. If anything, psychological components of addiction are far harder to get past and deal with than the physical ones over the long term. Withdrawal is the easy part.

All that said, there is zero reason to keep it illegal. Tax it, remove the negative social aspects of the drug trade, build communities, and strengthen addiction treatment services. There's no reason to be saddling folks with criminal records for something that's been used for centuries.

I was in Colorado with my daughter this summer on a school trip. Colorado Springs, Manitou Springs, Denver, Boulder, Estes Park - I haven't seen so many homeless people in years. Also huge percentage of the panhandlers were in 20s. Panhandling and vagrancy seem a whole lot more common where drug use is tolerated.

I was only in Denver. But to see the panhandlers in their 20's in such a large amount, was quite disturbing. Seriously, good looking young men, clean cut, shaven, standing on the street corners saying to EVERYONE as they walked past, "Excuse me Sir/Ma'am, have you got a dollar to spare"? I watched as he asked over a 100 people in 5 minutes. No one even made eye contact. Why didn't he have a honest job?

I was only in Denver. But to see the panhandlers in their 20's in such a large amount, was quite disturbing. Seriously, good looking young men, clean cut, shaven, standing on the street corners saying to EVERYONE as they walked past, "Excuse me Sir/Ma'am, have you got a dollar to spare"? I watched as he asked over a 100 people in 5 minutes. No one even made eye contact. Why didn't he have a honest job?

I think part of what you're seeing in Denver is a collision of cultures. The hipster, "off the grid", movement is strong in the Rockies. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of those panhandlers aren't so much "down on their luck" as they are simply unwilling to do more than panhandle for weed money.

The only thing that would suck...drug testing at work. You could stire be fired/denied employment.

Colorado only made $53 million in tax revenue in its first year. Considering that NJ collected about $30 Billion in tax revenue, even reaping $75-100 million would only be a drop in the bucket.

It would not get rid of illegal pot dealers either, since untaxed no-overhead drug dealers could sell pot cheaper.

Also, I don't think there will be people driving across bridges to buy pot in NJ. In most cities, getting pot delivered to you is about as challenging as get Chinese food delivered to you.

I have more heart palpitations, parinoia, and anxiety from my addition to Rutgers sports than any weed (I used to smoke)....LOL.

Nice story BTW..40 years and you didn't freak..impressive. [thumb2]

I think part of what you're seeing in Denver is a collision of cultures. The hipster, "off the grid", movement is strong in the Rockies. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of those panhandlers aren't so much "down on their luck" as they are simply unwilling to do more than panhandle for weed money.

What in the hell is this hipster off-grid panhandling culture invading major Rocky metros?

I have more heart palpitations, parinoia, and anxiety from my addition to Rutgers sports than any weed (I used to smoke)....LOL.

Nice story BTW..40 years and you didn't freak..impressive. [thumb2]

Take one season-long dose of Jim Harbaugh and you'll be cured :p

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT