ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Little Big Horn & Billings MT

T2Kplus20

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
May 2, 2007
Has anyone recently visited Billings MT and/or the Little Big Horn Battlefield? We will be visiting the Rapid City SD area next year and wondering if it is worth driving up there. Also planning to see Devils Tower and the Badlands. Anything in eastern WY to consider? Thanks!

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Has anyone recently visited Billings MT and/or the Little Big Horn Battlefield? We will be visiting the Rapid City SD area next year and wondering if it is worth driving up there. Also planning to see Devils Tower and the Badlands. Anything in eastern WY to consider? Thanks!
Custer state park/Needle highway and Sylvan lake. All in the Rapid City area. Beautiful Park.

Custer state park/Needle highway and Sylvan lake. All in the Rapid City area. Beautiful Park.
Thanks! The wife and little one are fixated on seeing Mount Rushmore. It's my job to plan the entire trip and fill out the itinerary. LOL! Flying into DEN and driving to Rapid City, so we will be mobile.

Reactions: newell138
Actually loved the South Dakota trip. As you drive to Devils Tower there is a deli in the small town of Hulett, WY we randomly stopped at for picinic sandwiches called R-Deli. Pulll up middle nowhere and place has Garden State Parkways signs, RU poster, Giants stuff, etc. NJ transplant owns. If recall guy was from Essex County.

Outside of that in SD you likely have on list: Badlands National Park, Wall Drug, Minuteman Missile NHP, Wind Cave NP down by Custer to go with RUtrue recommendations.

Biggest regret for me was not heading to North Dakota from there to visit that state. Teddy Roosevelt NP 3.5 hours away.

Deadwood has a lot of history and gambling. The Sanford Science research in the homestake mine is interesting if your a science person. The open pit homestake mine is there.(My uncle owned the construction company that did the entire open pit. He had most of his company there the entire time he owned the company).

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Been to Rapid about a decade ago. Mt. Rushmore is worth the visit, the Black Hills are amazing and the museum at Mt. Rushmore is interesting. Hope to get out to Bighorn one of these days.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Loved Devils Tower as it was on my bucket list. Was there when park first opened in the morning. While walking around, heard voices but nobody near us. Looked up and saw a few people scaling the tower. Could hear the entire conversation! 😂. Did a longer hike around the trail and it went through the prairie dog flats. Really cool seeing them pop out of the ground and alert the other dogs that people were near.

@RUScrew85 & I did a 12 night road trip in 2019 starting in Sioux Falls, SD & ending in Fargo ND traveling thru SD, WY, Montana & ND. We followed the blog post below (& actually met 2 guys doing the same trip). We changed up day 1 & went to Deadwood ( I thought it was underwhelming & a tourist trap) & spent the last day in Fargo at NDSU with AJ Blazek who was there coaching. Otherwise we followed all of the recommendations & hotels.

Driving Between Wind Cave & Devils Tower we detoured to see the geographic center of the US in Belle Fourche, SD & spent time at the museum there talking to the docent. He recommended we not get back on the main road (think NJTP) to Devils Tower & instead put us on this 2 lane road that was way more picturesque & took us thru towns with a population of 25.

We used Billings as a down day, although walking around downtown we were underwhelmed.

12 hotels/cities in 12 days was a lot & really only gave us a taste of some of the sites, but it is such an amazing part of the country & so glad we did it.

@T2Kplus20 Happy to discuss.

Was in SD long time ago when I was 12.Got to Devils Tower Badlands and Mt Rushmore. Deadwood was also cool, they did a nightly play on the trial of Jack McCall. Nearby town also had a Passion Play, if you’re religious.Went to Mcall trial but not the Passion Play. Don’t know if either are done 60+ years later.

Last edited:
Needles Highway was a completely unexpected highlight of our trip through ND & SD and definitely worth the drive.

Funny story about the Crazy Horse Memorial which is also in the area of Needles Highway. The Mrs. and I had no knowledge of the park going in and when we parked the car and saw the Crazy Horse monument excavation, we foolishly thought we were looking at Mount Rushmore from the other side.

Been to the Little Bighorn Battlefield, very surreal when you see the white stoned graves placed where the soldiers were killed.

Thanks! The wife and little one are fixated on seeing Mount Rushmore. It's my job to plan the entire trip and fill out the itinerary. LOL! Flying into DEN and driving to Rapid City, so we will be mobile.
Rushmore is really cool. There's a nice walking path below the mountain.

IIRC there's an ICBM missile silo somewhere around Rapid City. We were unable to get a reservation to visit the actual underground part but the small museum above was cool if you're into that kind of thing.

In Deadwood you can visit the grave site of Potato Creek Johnny.

Last edited:
@RUScrew85 & I did a 12 night road trip in 2019 starting in Sioux Falls, SD & ending in Fargo ND traveling thru SD, WY, Montana & ND. We followed the blog post below (& actually met 2 guys doing the same trip). We changed up day 1 & went to Deadwood ( I thought it was underwhelming & a tourist trap) & spent the last day in Fargo at NDSU with AJ Blazek who was there coaching. Otherwise we followed all of the recommendations & hotels.

Driving Between Wind Cave & Devils Tower we detoured to see the geographic center of the US in Belle Fourche, SD & spent time at the museum there talking to the docent. He recommended we not get back on the main road (think NJTP) to Devils Tower & instead put us on this 2 lane road that was way more picturesque & took us thru towns with a population of 25.

We used Billings as a down day, although walking around downtown we were underwhelmed.

12 hotels/cities in 12 days was a lot & really only gave us a taste of some of the sites, but it is such an amazing part of the country & so glad we did it.

@T2Kplus20 Happy to discuss.

Great info by the Screw's. I'm sure I will follow-up with some questions later today. We won't worry about Billings since there is so much in the greater Rapid City area. This will only be a week-long trip. Just gotta decide if we should take the long drive to see Little Big Horn (4-hours from Rapid City).

Reactions: MrsScrew
Spent 28 days going from Rapid city to Yellowstone and all the way back encompassing 2800 miles RT. Keep in mind Billings is 4+ 5 hours away .From home base of Rapid city Badlands is 1 hour East…Devils Tower 1 hour west… Rushmore just south maybe 1/2 hour away. Cody and East entrance to Yellowstone 420 miles west as the crow flies…Jackson Hole Wy. Is 2 1/2 hours south from southern Park entrance . Devils Tower is unique and is 3 miles around at its base. If you have back or knee issues the walk can be bumpy. It will offer someone unfamiliar with the west to see we sometimes take for granted the beauty of our own country. Many travelers still refer to it as “God’s Country” and it is.

Spent 28 days going from Rapid city to Yellowstone and all the way back encompassing 2800 miles RT. Keep in mind Billings is 4+ 5 hours away .From home base of Rapid city Badlands is 1 hour East…Devils Tower 1 hour west… Rushmore just south maybe 1/2 hour away. Cody and East entrance to Yellowstone 420 miles west as the crow flies…Jackson Hole Wy. Is 2 1/2 hours south from southern Park entrance . Devils Tower is unique and is 3 miles around at its base. If you have back or knee issues the walk can be bumpy. It will offer someone unfamiliar with the west to see we sometimes take for granted the beauty of our own country. Many travelers still refer to it as “God’s Country” and it is.
Great info, thanks! And the following year we are getting back to Oahu. :)

Reactions: RUBOB72
Taking my motorcycle out to Rapid City next June. Think I’ll use it as a home base and just venture out on different rides for a few days before heading back east. Can’t wait.

Taking my motorcycle out to Rapid City next June. Think I’ll use it as a home base and just venture out on different rides for a few days before heading back east. Can’t wait.
Not sure if you know but Sturgis, SD hosts a huge biker rally every first week of August.

when i was about 13 i spent a whole summer in SD, its absolutely beautiful. My sister was working at Rosebud Indian reservation as a nurse practitioner and I lived with her on the res. So much to see out that way, even driving from point to point is wonderful. Make sure you stop by Crazy Horse monument too, Rushmore is pretty incredible to see up close

Disney ( for Granddaughter) end of month. Then Oahu ( 🙏) October 2025…
Next WDW is March 2025 (already booked), then SD in June 2025, Oahu in March 2026. Our daughter will be entering 7th grade next fall, so 6 years to pack in as many family trips as possible! Salt Lake City & Jackson Hole, Japan, London/Paris are on the agenda. :)

Was in SD long time ago when I was 12.Got to Devils Tower Badlands and Mt Rushmore. Deadwood was also cool, they did a nightly play on the trial of Jack McCall. Nearby town also had a Passion Play, if you’re religious.Went to Mcall trial but not the Passion Play. Don’t know if either are done 60+ years later.
Just checked - Spearfish Passion Play ended in 2004, but Trial of Jack McCall and a lot of related events still on that would appeal to kids, shootouts, et Al.
Trivia : Hickok was shot in Saloon #10, why that name? Because there was a law limiting saloons to 10 in any block( or at least that was the story they told us tourists) and that was the 10th one on that block

Go to Cedar Pass Lodge in Badlands NP and get a fry bread taco. Definitely also check out Wind Cave NP, Devils Tower, and Custer State Park is amazing. would suggest getting a NP annual pass as you can use at Badlands, Wind Cave and Devils tower so should pay for itself. Unfortunately can’t use it at Mt. Rushmore. Also suggest Crazy Horse monument and the art museum at the Red Cloud School on the Pine Ridge reservation. The Wounded Knee site is also near there.

when i was about 13 i spent a whole summer in SD, its absolutely beautiful. My sister was working at Rosebud Indian reservation as a nurse practitioner and I lived with her on the res. So much to see out that way, even driving from point to point is wonderful. Make sure you stop by Crazy Horse monument too, Rushmore is pretty incredible to see up close
I wasn’t expecting Mt. Rushmore to be as impressive as it is, even better seeing it at night lit up.. Little town of Keystone at the base of Rushmore is pretty cool, at least it was many years ago when I was there.

Nothing better than being able to travel . One of the reasons this board is so great is the info one gets from others and it’s free… spent this past Saturday and Sunday doing the Hershey Pa. Park and Chocolate Factory Tour with granddaughter and son / wife. Found the tour really informative . Last there in 1982 and it is much different today. Simple side trip for us.

Billings is a pretty mediocre town, but a good place to put down your stuff if visiting Little Big Horn. Stayed at the Northern hotel downtown and it was reasonably comfortable. I wouldn't plan on spending time in Billings though.

As for Little Big Horn, it was always on my dad's bucket list. Went with him with very low expectations, but I really enjoyed it. There is something with the way the battlefield is laid out, the markers where people died, and the story behind the battle that really captivated me. It's definitely worth seeing.

Billings is a pretty mediocre town, but a good place to put down your stuff if visiting Little Big Horn. Stayed at the Northern hotel downtown and it was reasonably comfortable. I wouldn't plan on spending time in Billings though.

We stayed at the Northern. Very comfortable, walking distance to the restaurants/bars. Good place for a rest day.

Go to Cedar Pass Lodge in Badlands NP and get a fry bread taco. Definitely also check out Wind Cave NP, Devils Tower, and Custer State Park is amazing. would suggest getting a NP annual pass as you can use at Badlands, Wind Cave and Devils tower so should pay for itself. Unfortunately can’t use it at Mt. Rushmore. Also suggest Crazy Horse monument and the art museum at the Red Cloud School on the Pine Ridge reservation. The Wounded Knee site is also near there.

we did all of this, other than the Red Cloud School & Wounded Knee. Fry bread taco was delicious!

We flew into Denver but took a connecting flight into Rapid City. Took 45 minutes vs driving is 4 1/2 hours Denver to Rapid City. Not expensive and then rented our vehicle at the very smaller but easy peasy to navigate airport. All rental car companies and only 15 minute drive into Rapid City. Keep this in mind if you are there only for 8 days ….those 4 hour drives add up and take away from actual time able to sight see. Just my opinion ….Route 90 you can do 80-85…. But going to certain areas will add up .

We flew into Denver but took a connecting flight into Rapid City. Took 45 minutes vs driving is 4 1/2 hours Denver to Rapid City. Not expensive and then rented our vehicle at the very smaller but easy peasy to navigate airport. All rental car companies and only 15 minute drive into Rapid City. Keep this in mind if you are there only for 8 days ….those 4 hour drives add up and take away from actual time able to sight see. Just my opinion ….Route 90 you can do 80-85…. But going to certain areas will add up .
We are good with driving, don't like connecting or small planes. :)
Going to rent a Suburban or something like that for elbow room.

Sounds good… just know from Rapid City to all the aforementioned sites are all relatively close by so you should be fine and need not rush . Easy driving , no traffic to speak of and the directions / signage is top notch. Weather should be good at this time of year. One of our favorite towns was Cody Wyoming just outside of Yellowstone about a 6 hour drive from Rapid City taking 90 west. It still is the perfect example of the old west / small town vibe. Great museum documenting the history of Buffalo Bill Cody , American Indian legends and the collection of guns and their history like no other. Anyway have a great trip. Look forward to your report on the board.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Sounds good… just know from Rapid City to all the aforementioned sites are all relatively close by so you should be fine and need not rush . Easy driving , no traffic to speak of and the directions / signage is top notch. Weather should be good at this time of year. One of our favorite towns was Cody Wyoming just outside of Yellowstone about a 6 hour drive from Rapid City taking 90 west. It still is the perfect example of the old west / small town vibe. Great museum documenting the history of Buffalo Bill Cody , American Indian legends and the collection of guns and their history like no other. Anyway have a great trip. Look forward to your report on the board.
Forgot about Cody museum. Impressed me as a kid

We won't be going that far into WY for this trip, but we are planning a Jackson Hole trip in the near future. This will give us access to Grand Teton, southern part of Yellowstone, and within 4 hours of Cody (which sounds pretty cool).

We won't be going that far into WY for this trip, but we are planning a Jackson Hole trip in the near future. This will give us access to Grand Teton, southern part of Yellowstone, and within 4 hours of Cody (which sounds pretty cool).
Stayed 5 nights at the Grand Teton Lodge great ski area and a truly wonderful area to explore. Saw our first Moose there and downtown Jackson Hole is a short 15 minutes away. Wife is really looking forward to going back but would fly into either Idaho or Bozeman Mt. If the Man above is ok with us hanging around until 2026-2027 we’ll see… Cody is unique… do not forget the Rodeo there.😜

Custer is buried at West Point

At the Badlands do the Door trail. Short and very easy and extremely cool. Devils Tower is worth the drive. My kids enjoyed the population signs entering small “towns” in Wyoming. Smallest was population of 3. Even though I’m a big history guy Rushmore did nothing for me. Nice bathrooms if I remember correctly.

Think Wyoming is about 18 times larger than NJ land wise and still only has 585 k residents .

Did a Grand Teton and Yellowstone trip summer of 2015. That’s when we also did Badlands. Lot of driving! Stayed in Jackson Lake Lodge in Grand Teton and spent 5 days hiking and doing a day long fly fishing trip on the Snake River. Stayed 6 nights at Canyon Village in Yellowstone and we were able to hit all the main park areas and up into Montana and get in a decent amount of hiking. Driving to S. Dakota drove the Cloud Peak Scenic Byway and stayed overnight in Buffalo, WY which is the real town that Longmire was based on. Then did Devils Tower, Mt. Rushmore, Wind Cave NP, and Custer State Park and stayed in Custer, SD. Last was Cedar Pass Lodge at Badlands NP via the Pine Ridge reservation. All told was about 18 days. Flew into Jackson Hole and out of Rapid City.

At the Badlands do the Door trail. Short and very easy and extremely cool. Devils Tower is worth the drive. My kids enjoyed the population signs entering small “towns” in Wyoming. Smallest was population of 3. Even though I’m a big history guy Rushmore did nothing for me. Nice bathrooms if I remember correctly.
Very surprising take on the visual feeling upon seeing Mt. Rushmore. Most by far are impressed … but walking towards it you realize this was done by one guy basically. To each his own.

Very surprising take on the visual feeling upon seeing Mt. Rushmore. Most by far are impressed … but walking towards it you realize this was done by one guy basically. To each his own.
Gutzon Borglum had a whole team of people working on Mt. Rushmore. If you want to talk about a monument done by “one guy” and little funding then go up the road to Crazy Horse Monument. More fitting since Mt. Rushmore was created on native land stolen from the Lakota because there was gold in the Black Hills. And compared to the rest of the natural beauty in the area Mt. Rushmore was a let down and bit of tourist trap. But to each his own as you say.

Reactions: Unionst
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT