ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Little Big Horn & Billings MT

Has anyone recently visited Billings MT and/or the Little Big Horn Battlefield? We will be visiting the Rapid City SD area next year and wondering if it is worth driving up there. Also planning to see Devils Tower and the Badlands. Anything in eastern WY to consider? Thanks!
If you're even vaguely a history guy, I'd bite the bullet early-on and accept that you'll go to Little Big Horn even if it makes little logistical sense. You're going to go to Mount Rushmore for the same reason. You've not likely to ever return to this part of Big Sky Country and you'll almost certainly kick yourself farther down the road if you were relatively so close to the Little Big Horn, but didn't bother to visit for fear of a 4-hour drive.

IMHO, it's worth the trip if you can combine it with another desirable destination (in your case, Devil's Tower). Your best bet in this regard would be to take a 2-day, 1-night side trip from the Black Hills to Billings (Bozeman is actually much cooler, but comes with a fairly significant additional drive). On the way from the Black Hills to Billings hit Devil's Tower first (it's closer, so you'll arrive earlier than you would if you started with the Battlefield), then travel to Billings for an overnight. The next day, go to the Little Big Horn early, then return to the Black Hills (you might even be able to do a walking tour of Deadwood, etc. and grab dinner before heading back to home base). In this regard, you asked if there was anything else of interest in northeastern Wyoming. In my honest opinion, no, especially given the time that you have available. You're efforts would be better spend exploring the Black Hills and its environs.
For what it's worth the Little Big Horn Battlefield is relatively limited in scope. Even a comprehensive tour won't last more than 2-3 hours. It's not like visiting Gettysburg or Antietam or Shiloh or even Yorktown or Saratoga. Probably no battle on American soil has been studied in more detail. But, that's because the relatively limited number of engaged US calvary makes it easier to do a deep dive. As others have indicated, there are markers identifying the "exact" spots where each soldier perished during the "Last Stand." However, Custer, himself, was reinterred at West Point.

You can do a mini-bus tour of the entire battlefield, generally guided by students enrolled in a history program at the local community college on the Crow Reservation and there's a solid, but not amazing museum. Unlike Fort Ticonderoga, The Alamo, Fort Sumpter, etc., there is no physical centerpiece to attract visitors and, frankly, the number of dead is quite limited when compared to virtually any other major battle conducted on the continent. However, the Little Big Horn is also a national cemetery--like Arlington--with numerous veterans interred by virtue of service in other wars. It's iconic and worth the drive, provided it's coupled with other interests.

For me, there were three interesting take-aways with the Little Big Horn. First, as the battlefield is literally in the center of a Crow Reservation, most staff, specifically including tour guides, are Crow and very much explain the battle from the perspective of their ancestors--who pleaded with the US Government to remove their traditional enemies, the Sioux and their allies, from their reserved lands. The Crow largely supported Custer's efforts, served as Army scouts, etc. As such, the battle is NOT explained through an oversimplified "Custer deserved what got" prism, I was impressed by the nuance.

Second, while still depressing, as viewed from afar, the Crow Reservation seems to be among the most successful reservations that I have ever had the occasion to visit--much more vibrant than the nearby Cheyenne and Blackfeet and, light years beyond, the inexcusably impoverished Lakota Sioux at Pine Ridge in South Dakota. The extreme poverty at Pine Ridge will make you and any other rock-ribbed Republican cry. The US Government stole their land and gave them shit in return. This isn't even a debatable point.

Third, unless you really know what you're doing, DO NOT walk into the tall greasy grass that surrounds the battlefield and covers the entire valley below where the Sioux and their allies camped in the days before the battle. No joke, there are prairie rattlesnakes everywhere. Being from upstate NY, while on hikes, I look-out for venomous snakes (timber rattlers) in rock outcroppings, under logs and on paths covered with leaves. In the plains, their prairie cousins simply hangout among the tail grasses and seldom give much warning before a strike. They're simply impossible to see. I was actually bitten while attempting to quickly take a look at a coolie. One fang completely missed while the second drew blood in a graze without releasing venom. Thereafter, I encountered, and successfully avoided, 2 other rattlers, just to walk 50-feet back to manicured grass.

Again, this is an iconic American vacation. Enjoy every last minute!

We won't be going that far into WY for this trip, but we are planning a Jackson Hole trip in the near future. This will give us access to Grand Teton, southern part of Yellowstone, and within 4 hours of Cody (which sounds pretty cool).
The museum in Cody is a shock - it’s world class. We did our only rodeo ever there as well and what was particularly cool about that was seeing the kids compete. I didn’t imagine there was a Little League equivalent for rodeo.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Gutzon Borglum had a whole team of people working on Mt. Rushmore. If you want to talk about a monument done by “one guy” and little funding then go up the road to Crazy Horse Monument. More fitting since Mt. Rushmore was created on native land stolen from the Lakota because there was gold in the Black Hills. And compared to the rest of the natural beauty in the area Mt. Rushmore was a let down and bit of tourist trap. But to each his own as you say.

My favorite things about Crazy Horse versus all of the other monuments, is that Crazy Horse is not funded by any government money, which is why it is taking them so long to complete this project.

The other thing is that while you can't even take a twig out of Yellowstone, they highly encourage you at Crazy Horse to take all the chip rock away with you as souvenirs because otherwise they have to get rid of it themselves 😂

Reactions: RC1991
If you're even vaguely a history guy, I'd bite the bullet early-on and accept that you'll go to Little Big Horn even if it makes little logistical sense. You're going to go to Mount Rushmore for the same reason. You've not likely to ever return to this part of Big Sky Country and you'll almost certainly kick yourself farther down the road if you were relatively so close to the Little Big Horn, but didn't bother to visit for fear of a 4-hour drive.

IMHO, it's worth the trip if you can combine it with another desirable destination (in your case, Devil's Tower). Your best bet in this regard would be to take a 2-day, 1-night side trip from the Black Hills to Billings (Bozeman is actually much cooler, but comes with a fairly significant additional drive). On the way from the Black Hills to Billings hit Devil's Tower first (it's closer, so you'll arrive earlier than you would if you started with the Battlefield), then travel to Billings for an overnight. The next day, go to the Little Big Horn early, then return to the Black Hills (you might even be able to do a walking tour of Deadwood, etc. and grab dinner before heading back to home base). In this regard, you asked if there was anything else of interest in northeastern Wyoming. In my honest opinion, no, especially given the time that you have available. You're efforts would be better spend exploring the Black Hills and its environs.
For what it's worth the Little Big Horn Battlefield is relatively limited in scope. Even a comprehensive tour won't last more than 2-3 hours. It's not like visiting Gettysburg or Antietam or Shiloh or even Yorktown or Saratoga. Probably no battle on American soil has been studied in more detail. But, that's because the relatively limited number of engaged US calvary makes it easier to do a deep dive. As others have indicated, there are markers identifying the "exact" spots where each soldier perished during the "Last Stand." However, Custer, himself, was reinterred at West Point.

You can do a mini-bus tour of the entire battlefield, generally guided by students enrolled in a history program at the local community college on the Crow Reservation and there's a solid, but not amazing museum. Unlike Fort Ticonderoga, The Alamo, Fort Sumpter, etc., there is no physical centerpiece to attract visitors and, frankly, the number of dead is quite limited when compared to virtually any other major battle conducted on the continent. However, the Little Big Horn is also a national cemetery--like Arlington--with numerous veterans interred by virtue of service in other wars. It's iconic and worth the drive, provided it's coupled with other interests.

For me, there were three interesting take-aways with the Little Big Horn. First, as the battlefield is literally in the center of a Crow Reservation, most staff, specifically including tour guides, are Crow and very much explain the battle from the perspective of their ancestors--who pleaded with the US Government to remove their traditional enemies, the Sioux and their allies, from their reserved lands. The Crow largely supported Custer's efforts, served as Army scouts, etc. As such, the battle is NOT explained through an oversimplified "Custer deserved what got" prism, I was impressed by the nuance.

Second, while still depressing, as viewed from afar, the Crow Reservation seems to be among the most successful reservations that I have ever had the occasion to visit--much more vibrant than the nearby Cheyenne and Blackfeet and, light years beyond, the inexcusably impoverished Lakota Sioux at Pine Ridge in South Dakota. The extreme poverty at Pine Ridge will make you and any other rock-ribbed Republican cry. The US Government stole their land and gave them shit in return. This isn't even a debatable point.

Third, unless you really know what you're doing, DO NOT walk into the tall greasy grass that surrounds the battlefield and covers the entire valley below where the Sioux and their allies camped in the days before the battle. No joke, there are prairie rattlesnakes everywhere. Being from upstate NY, while on hikes, I look-out for venomous snakes (timber rattlers) in rock outcroppings, under logs and on paths covered with leaves. In the plains, their prairie cousins simply hangout among the tail grasses and seldom give much warning before a strike. They're simply impossible to see. I was actually bitten while attempting to quickly take a look at a coolie. One fang completely missed while the second drew blood in a graze without releasing venom. Thereafter, I encountered, and successfully avoided, 2 other rattlers, just to walk 50-feet back to manicured grass.

Wow, awesome stuff. Thanks for the post and valuable info. And good heads up on the tall grass. We are from central NJ/suburbia, so no experience with dangerous snakes. When we hike in tall grass, we just need to check for deer ticks. LOL!

I was able to spend a week on and around Pine Ridge back when I was an undergrad in 1991 as part of an Independent Study in Anthro course at Rutgers when the department had the Native American studies certificate program. Was myself and a fellow undergrad and we had a number of contacts through our professor who spent most of his career there. It was definitely an eye opening experience. In one instance we were going to meet up with an elder whose name we had and knew that he lived in Oglala village so we stopped at the Post Office to ask if they could direct us. They did and no one was home so we went back the next day. The elder was there with his grandson who was about our age and said we were expecting you because they told us 2 white boys were looking for our grandfather. We explained who we were and they invited us in and spoke to us for 1/2 the day about their history, culture, etc. and about winter counts which was the subject of our project. The village of Oglala though was like a 3rd world country with cinder block homes and shacks that were probably from the 40s and 50s and falling apart. But yet these people invited us in and spent time with us and extended what hospitality they could. It was a similar experience with the others we met. When we did the Yellowstone trip in 2015 as I mentioned we were able to drive through Pine Ridge and visit the museum, but as far as the villages like Oglala, it unfortunately hadn’t changed much. I was also sad to find out that the grandson of the elder we met with all those years back had also passed on. As a people, the Lakota have certainly suffered through a lot from broken treaties to the extreme poverty you mention.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT