ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Long Island serial killer suspect in custody

What goes through your head when you realize 1. You've been married for years to a serial killer and didn't know he was murdering people and 2. You were interested in and attracted to a monster and seemingly couldn't recognize the fact

One of the victims had a mother who became a public activist.
Her other daughter stabbed her to death.
I can guess how the victim ended-up a prostitute

• Wow
Reactions: BLewis1968
What goes through your head when you realize 1. You've been married for years to a serial killer and didn't know he was murdering people and 2. You were interested in and attracted to a monster and seemingly couldn't recognize the fact

I was thinking the same thing. There must have been signs that she ignored. The second wife was from Iceland. Maybe it was a cultural thing to not question your husband. Also, what kind of marriage did they have that he had so much free time to visit prostitutes? He was still visiting prostitutes all these years and that’s why LE decided to “take him off the streets,” to avoid more murders. He was an architect yet he lived in a “ramshackled,” house. He was in arrears for his taxes.

Reactions: brgRC90
Ted Bundy fooled a lot of people and that let him thrive as a serial killer for years. If there was a job opening, any job, and Ted and I applied for it, Bundy would always get the job. He had the gift to totally mask what he was. He was a charmer. My own Ted Bundy story came during a loosely planned fishing/camping trip to the Dead Lakes area in the Panhandle of Florida. Jumped in my car at 7:30 am, left Edison and 19 1/2 hours later, I stopped to nap at a rest stop 30 miles west of Jacksonville. Got up and bought a fishing license in Live Oak and proceeded to get lost on a two-lane blacktop while trying to get to a major highway going to the Gulf. Stopped at a pull-off next to a bridge over the Suwannee River and stretched by legs walking down a path. Years later, while reading a book a co-worker loaned me about Bundy, I came to realize it was the same week that they found one of Bundy's victims just miles above along the same river. Proceeded to the camping area at Dead Lakes and did my fishing. One night, I joined a pair of much older couples around their campfire. Turns out that the two men had been German soldiers during WWII, been prisoners of war and later settled in Canada.
Many years later, I ended up meeting Glenn Barker at a picnic. Only thing I knew about him was he was related to one of my coworkers. Seemed like a very personable guy and also a very large individual. Turns out, he was already a convicted child murderer and served time for the crime. A while later, his whole story blew up in the news in the Middlesex County area when out-of-state officials let his background be known to those responsible for the young girls basketball team he was coaching here at the time. Law enforcement individuals had tried to always keep track of his whereabouts as he was suspected of other murders. They just couldn't prove anything. Scary to think he might have been as cunning or more so than Bundy and only got caught & convicted once.
You never know who you will meet and what evil they have done or are planning to do. Keep your head on a swivel and watch your six, 24-7-365.

That maybe I should have my voting rights taken away? Just kidding, it is amazing but look at how coaches get away with sexual attacks and don't seem to realize these young kids will eventually turn them in. Principles, teachers it never ends with a parade of criminal minds.

In the "small world" department:

1) I worked with this guy (Rex Heuermann) 40 years ago, we were both summer/seasonal workers at the same field at Jones Beach. Summer of 1981.

2) He lived next door to a cousin of mine in Massapequa Park.

So I was pretty shocked when I saw the story! I honestly don't remember much about him - certainly at the time there was nothing that made me feel like I was working with a future killer (you know how some people just give off that vibe). I do remember my cousin telling me that he was "weird" but don't remember if she provided any further details.

Ted Bundy fooled a lot of people and that let him thrive as a serial killer for years. If there was a job opening, any job, and Ted and I applied for it, Bundy would always get the job. He had the gift to totally mask what he was. He was a charmer. My own Ted Bundy story came during a loosely planned fishing/camping trip to the Dead Lakes area in the Panhandle of Florida. Jumped in my car at 7:30 am, left Edison and 19 1/2 hours later, I stopped to nap at a rest stop 30 miles west of Jacksonville. Got up and bought a fishing license in Live Oak and proceeded to get lost on a two-lane blacktop while trying to get to a major highway going to the Gulf. Stopped at a pull-off next to a bridge over the Suwannee River and stretched by legs walking down a path. Years later, while reading a book a co-worker loaned me about Bundy, I came to realize it was the same week that they found one of Bundy's victims just miles above along the same river. Proceeded to the camping area at Dead Lakes and did my fishing. One night, I joined a pair of much older couples around their campfire. Turns out that the two men had been German soldiers during WWII, been prisoners of war and later settled in Canada.
Many years later, I ended up meeting Glenn Barker at a picnic. Only thing I knew about him was he was related to one of my coworkers. Seemed like a very personable guy and also a very large individual. Turns out, he was already a convicted child murderer and served time for the crime. A while later, his whole story blew up in the news in the Middlesex County area when out-of-state officials let his background be known to those responsible for the young girls basketball team he was coaching here at the time. Law enforcement individuals had tried to always keep track of his whereabouts as he was suspected of other murders. They just couldn't prove anything. Scary to think he might have been as cunning or more so than Bundy and only got caught & convicted once.
You never know who you will meet and what evil they have done or are planning to do. Keep your head on a swivel and watch your six, 24-7-365.
That’s a chilling story. I have a similar one. I lived in California when I was a kid (left for Jersey at 14). I lived in Northridge in The Valley. I use to go to Chatsworth Park all the time with my friends. It was a great park with trails and rocks for climbing. There was an orange grove in back of the park that belonged to a farm. We use to jump the fence and pick oranges when we got hungry. One day we were picking oranges and decided to walk a little further into the grove and there was a scary dude with 2 young girls that chased us off the farm. He told us to never come back. We never did. Then one day I’m in the living room and my mom is watching the news. They had this guy in handcuffs and I told my mom that was the guy that chased us out of the orange grove. That guy turned out to be Charles Manson. My mom lost her breath. We ran into him when he was in his killing spree. Crazy story.

Last edited:

1) I worked with this guy (Rex Heuermann) 40 years ago, we were both summer/seasonal workers at the same field at Jones Beach. Summer of 1981.

So I was pretty shocked when I saw the story! I honestly don't remember much about him - certainly at the time there was nothing that made me feel like I was working with a future killer (you know how some people just give off that vibe). I do remember my cousin telling me that he was "weird" but don't remember if she provided any further details.
Wow. That’s eerie.

I haven’t really followed this case much. That being said, I understand there are approx 10-12 people who they found dead in gilgo beach. Being Huermann was only arrested for 3-4 of them , do they think there is a copycat killer or simply no evidence to arrest him for the others ?
Also, there was this lady Shannon Gilbert who died about 10 years ago near Gilgo beach. . In her case , she communicated via a frantic phone message that people were trying to kill her when she ran away. In this case there were 2 people - both doctors I believe - who were involved albeit neither arrested. Is Huermann involved in this matter and or these doctors involved in other killings? Dr Hawkins actually called the mother of Shannon Gilbert similar to what Huermann purportedly did to his victims. I’m just wondering if there’s any connection given I understand Dr Hawkins moved to Florida about 10 years ago and ironically the killings stopped around that time.

I am surprised it took this long to get him. They had a witness state one of the women was last seen with him in 2010 was 6'6"-6'8" white guy with dark hair and driving a Chevy Avalanche. Criminologists speculated he was a white male professional living on the South Shore of LI. Wouldn't applying those filters produce a pretty small group of potential suspects to investigate? They also had DNA and I have seen where they can produce an image likeness of a person based on DNA. Maybe I am simplifying and I know there are limits in investigations with privacy and resources.

Reactions: Knightmoves

Great story. My friend and his friends worked the concessions at Jones Beach. And would have been there summer of ‘81.

I told him your story. He was asking if you worked concessions or for the state. And what field you worked with RH.

I haven’t really followed this case much. That being said, I understand there are approx 10-12 people who they found dead in gilgo beach. Being Huermann was only arrested for 3-4 of them , do they think there is a copycat killer or simply no evidence to arrest him for the others ?
Also, there was this lady Shannon Gilbert who died about 10 years ago near Gilgo beach. . In her case , she communicated via a frantic phone message that people were trying to kill her when she ran away. In this case there were 2 people - both doctors I believe - who were involved albeit neither arrested. Is Huermann involved in this matter and or these doctors involved in other killings? Dr Hawkins actually called the mother of Shannon Gilbert similar to what Huermann purportedly did to his victims. I’m just wondering if there’s any connection given I understand Dr Hawkins moved to Florida about 10 years ago and ironically the killings stopped around that time.
I was reading this piece just posted:

And in the article he said this:

“I’m like, ‘Yeah, of course I know.’ And he goes on to tell me, ‘Yeah, that’s a serial killer that was never caught in my hometown, my neighborhood where I live. The guy killed like 10 people and might still be out there.’

That to me sounds like he's admitting to killing all of them.

• Wow
Reactions: MrsScrew
That’s a chilling story. I have a similar one. I lived in California when I was a kid (left for Jersey at 14). I lived in Northridge in The Valley. I use to go to Chatsworth Park all the time with my friends. It was a great park with trails and rocks for climbing. There was an orange grove in back of the park that belonged to a farm. We use to jump the fence and pick oranges when we got hungry. One day we were picking oranges and decided to walk a little further into the grove and there was a scary dude with 2 young girls that chased us off the farm. He told us to never come back. We never did. Then one day I’m in the living room and my mom is watching the news. They had this guy in handcuffs and I told my mom that was the guy that chased us out of the orange grove. That guy turned out to be Charles Manson. My mom lost her breath. We ran into him when he was in his killing spree. Crazy story.
That is scary! It might have been your lucky day he chased you off instead of inviting you over. Charlie rode the perfect storm with his crazy charismatic rantings, drug use and impressionable young people. Watching some interviews, I saw he had that hustler gibberish presentation down pat.

That is scary! It might have been your lucky day he chased you off instead of inviting you over. Charlie rode the perfect storm with his crazy charismatic rantings, drug use and impressionable young people. Watching some interviews, I saw he had that hustler gibberish presentation down pat.
He was a scary looking dude. That’s why I remembered him. My friends and I were glad we got away. He chased us all the way to the chain link fence. We never even thought about jumping that fence again. Hard to believe, to this day, how lucky we were.

Yikes. You win the thread.

One of the victims had a mother who became a public activist.
Her other daughter stabbed her to death.
I can guess how the victim ended-up a prostitute

Shannan Gilbert. But he is not charged with her murder.

There was a great Netflix movie on her story. There were more women killed there, hopefully we find out soon.

Reactions: ashokan
Many years later, I ended up meeting Glenn Barker at a picnic. Only thing I knew about him was he was related to one of my coworkers. Seemed like a very personable guy and also a very large individual. Turns out, he was already a convicted child murderer and served time for the crime. A while later, his whole story blew up in the news in the Middlesex County area when out-of-state officials let his background be known to those responsible for the young girls basketball team he was coaching here at the time. Law enforcement individuals had tried to always keep track of his whereabouts as he wasS suspected of other murders. They just couldn't prove anything. Scary to think he might have been as cunning or more so than Bundy and only got caught & convicted once.
Damn, the whole time I was reading this I kept hearing the dueling banjos from Deliverance - close calls, dude. Fortunately, I never really crossed paths with any serious criminals I knew of - not counting growing up in a SNJ suburban town filled with South Philly mafia guys (father to one of my teenage friends, but they were always nice to "outsiders").

Great story. My friend and his friends worked the concessions at Jones Beach. And would have been there summer of ‘81.

I told him your story. He was asking if you worked concessions or for the state. And what field you worked with RH.

Worked for the state. Actually worked there for all 4 summers that I was at RU. First year (81) was at field 1, second year was at the west bath house, last 2 years at field 2. Worked with RH the first year, field 1. I'm not sure if he stayed the whole summer (it wasn't for everyone) but he was there for a while. A friend worked at concessions a couple of years, used to get me free hotdogs and burgers which was nice. Other than that I really didn't get to know many of the concession workers.

May have told the story before but I was there the day that Jacob Feinstein was struck and killed by lightning at field 2 in 1983. Saw the bolt strike on the beach but it hit behind a lifeguard building so we didn't know someone was hit until his wife or girlfriend came running up screaming. Another person was killed the same day, and I believe 2 others were struck but survived.

It was an interesting place to work.

I am surprised it took this long to get him. They had a witness state one of the women was last seen with him in 2010 was 6'6"-6'8" white guy with dark hair and driving a Chevy Avalanche. Criminologists speculated he was a white male professional living on the South Shore of LI. Wouldn't applying those filters produce a pretty small group of potential suspects to investigate? They also had DNA and I have seen where they can produce an image likeness of a person based on DNA. Maybe I am simplifying and I know there are limits in investigations with privacy and resources.
That is a profile of potential suspects. The south shore of Long Island has a population of millions many of the men are professionals just need to look at the LIRR trains in the am from LI. Pre-Covid they were packed.

That is a profile of potential suspects. The south shore of Long Island has a population of millions many of the men are professionals just need to look at the LIRR trains in the am from LI. Pre-Covid they were packed.
That's more than 500 and they didn't give up? 😎

Rather than being a successful architect RH was a guy who filed building permits with NYC for out of town design firms. He also sued for 3-4 auto accidents claiming he received major injuries. He was barely getting by in life imo.

Rather than being a successful architect RH was a guy who filed building permits with NYC for out of town design firms. He also sued for 3-4 auto accidents claiming he received major injuries. He was barely getting by in life imo.
True and he has all those tax issues too.

Still packed Tues thru Thurs, much lighter on Mon and Fri.

I got one. I was doing my externship at a North Jersey drug store. Wound up working for the guy's son mixing IVs for his patients in the surgical supply store. His wife, a nurse who also worked there, received a letter in which he admitted killing one of his patients in a medicaid fraud gone bad. The nurse's father found the note and called the authorities. Turns out he had years before killed a prostitute, and then his best friend. We had one ugly argument over a dose we provided so it seems I lucked out.

Last edited:
He was a scary looking dude. That’s why I remembered him. My friends and I were glad we got away. He chased us all the way to the chain link fence. We never even thought about jumping that fence again. Hard to believe, to this day, how lucky we were.
Holy crap, he actually chased you?! What did he say??

Well, Bundy never had to interview for a job against the best interviewer in the world - Chris Ash!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT