ADVERTISEMENT

OT: LSU Fires Les Miles

I see no benefit to firing a guy week 4. It's not like you are going to hire a guy before the season ends anyway. Some wealthy people must have really forced the issue.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
So effing stupid. I take it they lost to Auburn last night. Who are they going to get exactly that's better?

Remember that feelgood moment last season where it was leaked that he was as good as gone, then they won the game that week and they kept him......

The AD was firing him last November but gave into boosters. He know got his way. Not shocked

You know you're a jock factory of a school when you fire a coach like Les Miles.
Plus I read somewhere he's owed $10 million. Must be nice to have that kind of disposable cash at a university that was threatening to shit their football program down if the the state cut their funding.

I wonder if Les would consider Purdue......it would be low pressure for him.....but lower money too.....one of the lowest pressure power five jobs, that's for sure. But Penn State might have an opening too.....

They fired someone with a 78% lifetime winning percentage at LSU 112-32

I hope it haunts them!!

I get "win big" but absolutely NOTHING is going change by firing him today. This guy has a great record, won you a national title and several division crowns, runs a relatively clean SEC program, isn't a douche, you show him a little bit of respect IMHO. Let him know in November that he will not be retained and have him coach his final games at LSU. This...wow...SMH.

They fired someone with a 78% lifetime winning percentage at LSU 112-32

I hope it haunts them!!

This is where the SEC gets ridiculous. It's still college football and you are still packing 94,000 into Tiger Stadium 7 Saturday's every fall. You lost to a good Wisconsin team and Auburn...it's not like you lost to McNeese State and La Tech. The guy deserves to finish the season.

Tom Herman can now demand about $7 Million per year from LSU. I think they would pay it, too.

Art Briles might have to settle for 6 Million per year because of that little incident at Baylor.

USC might look at Miles. They're already 1-3 under Clay Helton (?). Would make a big splash in publicity-conscious LA. Purdue can't afford him.

My brother went to LSU so I follow LSU fairly closely. It was time for him to go. Sad to see him leave but it's become obvious the game has passed Les by. Back up to 2011, LSU and Bama are similar team schematically and tempermant wise. Big difference is Bama brought in Kiffin and started incorporating a much more modern offense (zone read, hurry up, etc.) while LSU never did. Always had the feeling Les wasn't very comfortable with that.

The firing makes a ton of sense from a recruiting standpoint. Oregeron is one of the better recruiters and can keep a solid class together. Whereas keeping a dead man walking Les is easy to recruit against. Oregeron may have been a disaster at Ole Miss as a coach, but he recruited the teams Nutt coached to 10 wins for a couple season despite Nutt not being a very good coach. So you see what you've got with Oregeron with the priority keeping the recruiting class together.

As for Les, he's built for TV so that's where I assume he ends up. He's got a kid at UNC, made a ton of money (including a buyout of 12 million) so he doesn't need to coach this season or next. Just sucks to see him go since he ran about as clean of a program as possible at a school like LSU.

That being said, if Ash can find a spot for Les on his staff, you absolutely back up a truckload of money. One of the best recruiters in the nation. My gut says they go hard after Jimbo Fisher, which I'm not entirely comfortable about

Reactions: BoogieKnight
I could see Purdue going after PJ Fleck, if/when they let Hazell go. Fleck has recruited the Midwest well, coached them up, and with a much lower budget. Of course Fleck may get better offers too.

Plus I read somewhere he's owed $10 million. Must be nice to have that kind of disposable cash at a university that was threatening to shit their football program down if the the state cut their funding.

You pass the hat around for the buyout. Plus LSU athletic department is highly profitable and the funds for it are separate from the state government and education funds

Tom Herman can now demand about $7 Million per year from LSU. I think they would pay it, too.

Art Briles might have to settle for 6 Million per year because of that little incident at Baylor.
Holgerson will be in Houston next season IMo

That is crazy talk!

It us as if their AD is runned by message board fans who overreact after every lost.

Just madness.

I could see Purdue going after PJ Fleck, if/when they let Hazell go. Fleck has recruited the Midwest well, coached them up, and with a much lower budget. Of course Fleck may get better offers too.
I can't see Purdue replacing Hazel with this years Hazel. Think they need to but bullet and hire a more experienced former HC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT