ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Master's Week

From Golf Digest...

"The worst collapse of Mickelson's career was complete. He had lost the 2006 U.S. Open by one shot with a double bogey on the final hole.

But that's not where the story ends. After making the obligatory media stops and signing autographs, Phil sought out Winged Foot's staff members. He thanked them for their work, shook their hands, and discreetly handed each a wad of cash: $1,000 here, $1,500 there. Phil had spent a lot of time preparing at Winged Foot before that year's Open, so he wanted to thank everyone.

It's reasonable to estimate that Mickelson handed about $10,000 in tips to staff throughout the week, according to people who were there. But as he was driving away, Phil felt compelled to turn the car around. In the craziness after his collapse, he realized he had forgotten to tip a handful of the locker-room guys, and he didn't want to leave without taking care of everyone.

"Phil is one of the most generous men I've ever had the pleasure of knowing," says Doug Steffen, the director of golf at Baltusrol Golf Club, where the year before Winged Foot, Mickelson had claimed his second major championship. "The way he takes the time to meet all the staff and thank them for their work, I've never seen anything like it.""

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/phil-mickelson-tipping

I happen to know of him taking an entire pro shop staff out to dinner to thank them.

Reactions: MoobyCow
Phil is a great guy. Basically the anti Tiger.

The FBI following him around at Augusta is a crazy stuff.

I'm too lazy to look up the birthdays of the contenders.Using a numerology system in 1998,I picked Mark O' Meara.Maybe I'll do something later.

From Golf Digest...

"The worst collapse of Mickelson's career was complete. He had lost the 2006 U.S. Open by one shot with a double bogey on the final hole.

But that's not where the story ends. After making the obligatory media stops and signing autographs, Phil sought out Winged Foot's staff members. He thanked them for their work, shook their hands, and discreetly handed each a wad of cash: $1,000 here, $1,500 there. Phil had spent a lot of time preparing at Winged Foot before that year's Open, so he wanted to thank everyone.

It's reasonable to estimate that Mickelson handed about $10,000 in tips to staff throughout the week, according to people who were there. But as he was driving away, Phil felt compelled to turn the car around. In the craziness after his collapse, he realized he had forgotten to tip a handful of the locker-room guys, and he didn't want to leave without taking care of everyone.

"Phil is one of the most generous men I've ever had the pleasure of knowing," says Doug Steffen, the director of golf at Baltusrol Golf Club, where the year before Winged Foot, Mickelson had claimed his second major championship. "The way he takes the time to meet all the staff and thank them for their work, I've never seen anything like it.""

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/phil-mickelson-tipping

I happen to know of him taking an entire pro shop staff out to dinner to thank them.
Funny you mention Doug. I posted above that a previous anti Phil post is totally against what I've heard about him. Doug is one of those who has said different to myself. Other people that work the tour have said the same including players
Phil like Arnold is what a pro should be. Good round, bad round they give back to the fans or patrons as the Masters put it

My sister in laws husband works at Ridgewood CC, said Phil was very cold to the employees there, said most of the golfers were great, but not Phil. Said he is very different when the camera is not on him.

Speaking of Ridgewood CC, the first weekend of the FedEx Cup will be there, and they are looking for volunteers. Lots of different positions to volunteer for. I volunteered for the Barclays a few years ago at Ridgewood and enjoyed it. Plus they throw a great party for the Volunteers on Sunday at the end. They hired Southside Johnny and had an open bar and buffet. Great show, and good time.

Signed up for my volunteer shift in January for this--a few friends and I volunteered for the Presidents Cup last September and had a blast

Reactions: Abro1975
Funny you mention Doug. I posted above that a previous anti Phil post is totally against what I've heard about him. Doug is one of those who has said different to myself. Other people that work the tour have said the same including players
Phil like Arnold is what a pro should be. Good round, bad round they give back to the fans or patrons as the Masters put it

I worked with a woman who handled player relations at a tour stop. She said there were a lot of very nice players but Phil stood out because he was always getting pulled this way or that yet was consistently pleasant to everyone.

Phil has said Arnie's example had a major effect on him.

I'm giving the blue Titleist Tour Softs a try this year.
I have played a lot of rounds with the NXT Tours in the past as well. Great ball. Looking forward to trying the Tour Soft (replacement for NXT Tour) this year as well. Similar to the Chrome Soft, I like to play those types of balls in spring and fall.

Bingo on the camera comment from what I’ve heard from golf pros that know him.

I attended the FedEx tourneys a few times at Ridgewood CC. Great venue. They have 27 holes but customize an 18 for the tournament.

NJ golf fans should definitely attend this course ASAP.
I have heard similar stories about Phil as well. I am lucky enough to get to play Ridgewood a few times a year. Love that course. Unfortunately I play the adjacent course more. :cry:

Phil was very nice to me three weeks ago. He didn't need to be. I was just some hack on his course warming up next to him while he was practicing. I've seen Woods and his former caddie, berate a kid asking for an autograph after a round of a charity event.

This Masters is going to be epic. A number of grade A players hitting their prime, or in the prime right now.

Playing in a golf Tournament on Sunday morning. To spice things up we had a drawing and each guy got a player in the field. Winner gets $600. I got DJ.

Tiger's practice session was spot on. Hit everything flush. Short game, sharp as can be.

Changing my pick. Going with Tiger over Spieth.

Was at the practice round yesterday it was the CBI (Columbia SC Bureau of Investigation) following Tiger around. Spoke to one of the officers inside the ropes needless to say he kinda liked that duty, watching Tiger and getting paid

Been watching on Masters.com this am and amazed at the size of the early crowd. At least 10 deep on the fairways in some cases.

With Bubba (2), Phil, Casey, and Poulter, 5 of the last 7 Tour events have been won by someone age 39 or older. It is often said experience is so important at Augusta.

Will it be another "greyhair"? Vijay Singh is currently leading by 3 lol.

As I said, I picked Paul Casey back in January. My thinking was mostly based on his 3 Top 10 finishes the last 3 years and play in general. If in contention Sunday he just needs to be able to close it out, something that he has had issues with during his career.

Reactions: WhiteBus

1980 US Open at Baltusrol. A contingent State Troopers surrounding Jack Saturday and Sunday. Had no idea why until I got home and watched the news.....death threat.

Phil being Phil.

Sinks a 45 ft putt to birdie #1. Puts drive into trees and bogeys the Par 5 2nd. On the short Par 4 3rd, slices his drive 40-50 yards off line, makes a very good recovery and sinks a 15 ft birdie putt.

Edit. 3 putt Bogey on #4.

Last edited:
The full field has tied off and only 14 players under par at this point. Fleishman leads at 4 under. Course is playing tough.

Tigers well off the pace. And the real golfers just went out. Maybe next time.

The nastiest hole on this course is the 15th hole. It is one of the trickiest hole on that course.
You can't lay up since the third shot from the fairway is a very hard shot.
The putting surface is like putting on marble.

Tigers well off the pace. And the real golfers just went out. Maybe next time.
Grinding it out on a day where he doesn't have good rhythm. Was looking 4 over in the face before draining a HUUUGE bogey putt on 12. Didn't birdie a single par five and here he is, one over, four off the lead. Way too early to write off Tiger.

Reactions: RickB113
Garcia put a bunch in the water and is going to get a 13 on hole 15– that gets you out of the tournament real quick.

Meh. Not impressed. He just another guy. Except to his fan bois.
Only a 23 handicap would call him just another guy. But you are what you are and you know what you know, which is not much, obviously.

Only a 23 handicap would call him just another guy. But you are what you are and you know what you know, which is not much, obviously.

Ok, Jack.

You're overly emotional about someone you don't know. You have on black pants and red shirt right now, don't you?

Ok, Jack.

You're overly emotional about someone you don't know. You have on black pants and red shirt right now, don't you?

Black pants and a red shirt on a Thursday? There you go again, knowing nothing.

I think you follow Tiger more closely than Tiger fans. It’s like the Howard Stern effect.
You guys do have a bet, correct? I’m not a Tiger hater but have the same feeling for him as Cali does. He’s just a regular guy now. These kids deserve more of our attention (like Finau). Great to see him play so well after popping the ankle back in yesterday. You don’t see that often

That’s because I’m collecting money from you.
Collect what money? You never confirm the bet. I have a bet with Whitebus. I’ll give you another opportunity. I’ll bet $100 on Tiger winning another major on the PGA tour. Do you want to take the other side?

You guys do have a bet, correct? I’m not a Tiger hater but have the same feeling for him as Cali does. He’s just a regular guy now. These kids deserve more of our attention (like Finau). Great to see him play so well after popping the ankle back in yesterday. You don’t see that often
I’m pulling for good golf and that includes Tiger. Only a hater would think 1 over isout of contention.

I’m pulling for good golf and that includes Tiger. Only a hater would think 1 over isout of contention.
Obviously he is not out of it at +1. I do point out that the last 12 winners were inside the top 10 after day 1. Tiger is T29.

Collect what money? You never confirm the bet. I have a bet with Whitebus. I’ll give you another opportunity. I’ll bet $100 on Tiger winning another major on the PGA tour. Do you want to take the other side?

Yea that’s our bet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT