ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Matawan

Abbys Mexican restaurant by the train station is pretty good. Also Nemos (Asian fusion) and new tapas place 28 East Enoteca, both in Keyport. Keyport waterfront is nice in the spring and summer. If you like bike riding the Henry Hudson trail is cool.

Maloney's in the middle of town has good food and a crazy big beer selection. The Chateau (Portugese) on Rt. 79 is really good. Another good one in Keyport is Lenora's cafe'. They serve breakfast and lunch everyday and dinner a few nights a week.
+1 on Drew's and 28 East.

Obviously Peter's Fishery is a must-try if you haven't already.

In addition to the Jester, MJ's at the Buttonwood is probably the most popular spot in town now. Deninos in the Strathmore Shopping center is also a local favorite for pizza etc..

Angelo's Pizza & Sub shop ! Plus the Owner (John S) is an RU Grad & RU football season ticket holder. Terrific food at low prices.

Angelo's

Originally posted by JoeRU:
Check out Barts on Main Street and Drew's Bayshore in Keyport
i will second drew's. good place. atmosphere so-so, but food very good, and byob. lots to like.

+1 on Peter's Fishery.

Turning Point in Manalapan and Holmdel (among other locations) is very good for breakfast or lunch as is Comfi's in Old Bridge.

Congrats on the move! I live in the North Side of Colts Neck, but haven't really explored the areas myself yet. I have been to MJ's on 34 up that way and always have had a good time there and food is good.

Marosy, when the weather gets nicer make sure you hit up the Keyport Fishery for takeout. As others mentioned Drew's is the hidden Gem. Also be sure to check out Papa Ganache bakery on Main St. Matawan.

Originally posted by RU-Kidding:
In addition to the Jester, MJ's at the Buttonwood is probably the most popular spot in town now. Deninos in the Strathmore Shopping center is also a local favorite for pizza etc..
Deninos is very good but Ciros is great. Ciros is a family relation (brother in law I think) to the same family who owns Joe and Pats on Staten Island. Both Joe and Pats and Deninos go waaaaaaay back on Staten Island.

How much more would it have been to get a place with a kitchen?

This post was edited on 3/16 7:33 PM by RUJohnny99

Originally posted by jreinsdorf:

Deninos is very good but Ciros is great. Ciros is a family relation (brother in law I think) to the same family who owns Joe and Pats on Staten Island. Both Joe and Pats and Deninos go waaaaaaay back on Staten Island.
IMO both places on SI are very overrated.

I feel the same for the one on 34 as well.

West Lake Chinese is the best. It is authentic chinese food where most of the customers are asians. It is next to a liquor store and byob.

Originally posted by e5fdny:
Originally posted by jreinsdorf:

IMO both places on SI are very overrated.

I feel the same for the one on 34 as well.
E5FDNY... Joe and Pats overrated? Fightin words I say. My cousin used to own Pal Joeys though they were not my favorite. Still miss going there though. Who is your favorite on SI? Lees Tavern was good the one time I was there too.

Blu isnt open yet Rob. Chez& Andrew are going to have a great spot there.

As far as the OPs questions.
Maloneys beer is unrivaled locally, adpnd their food has gotten better the last year
Shanghai Bun is an amazing Chinese food spot on 34 by dunkin. Amazing
Denninos has the best pizza around
Drews is great
Salsa Latina has one of the best skirt steaks anywhere

Abys has gone downhill since they moved, not too fond of Bart's either, court jester is stuck in 1996, peters is meh to me, mikes subs are too dry and they're horribly slow/inefficient, big eds ribs are just terrible... Another place stuck in 1996, brass rail is bad.

Pine Tavern has a great burger and prime rib when they're on... 1/2 the time you go there, they are off and the burger is well done and unseasoned. It's really odd

Livotis has some great Italian specialties priced affordably. Some of their prepared food is mediocre though.
Demarcos is more expensive and only really has good bread these days.

Park east has a good menu, but their execution isn't always the best. Also, it can be a bit much in there, with people thinking they're in nyc.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Jerseydix51:

Marosy, when the weather gets nicer make sure you hit up the Keyport Fishery for takeout. As others mentioned Drew's is the hidden Gem. Also be sure to check out Papa Ganache bakery on Main St. Matawan.

Keyport Fishery is a must hit for takeout. I love that place and try to get back there whenever I'm back visiting. Also, just down the road on Front St. is Mike's Subs Shop. Best Subs I've ever had.

Love going to Wasabi 34 for sushi! Located at 392 Route 34, Matawan...Sushi is always fresh, haven't had a bad sushi dinner!!!

pnbsoup22

Plus one on Maloneys for the craft beer. They really have some selection. Good pub style Irish food too.

Love Deninos for Pizza. Pauline's on 34 is pretty good Italian and BYOB.

As others mentioned Red Bank is nice and close. Also Atlantic Highlands nearby has some great spots

Have fun and welcome!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT