ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Matt Holliday to Yankees

Has nothing to do with Trout and he's only 36. For a DH/part-time 1B? 1-year deal? It's an excellent signing.

Nuts....he'll turn 37 while we still have a President with a brain, a soul, and some integrity.
Birthday...January 15th.

It is what I expected. It's an ok signing. We weren't going to sign Encarnacion or Bautista. Just not going 4 years for those guys. This signing makes sense. The want to have as little money as possible for Harpers free agent year.

Reactions: StyleKnight
Nuts....he'll turn 37 while we still have a President with a brain, a soul, and some integrity.
Birthday...January 15th.
I literally have no idea who you could be referring to. Have we even had one of those in the last 40 years?

Projections for 2017, weighted runs created plus+

Carlos Beltran 107 wRC+
Matt Holliday 121 wRC+
Edwin Encarnacion 125 wRC+

Good pick-up, and cheaper than what they would have given Beltran.

What actual risk is there? He gets hurt and the Yankees pay him for nothing? They won't be under the cap until the 2017 offseason so the payroll this year is not a big issue. They're just taking a flyer on a guy with some upside. I think it's a good signing. Yankees lose another 50-60 million from payroll next year and will be set up for a big splash in the biggest free agent class ever.

He's on the downside of a very good career, but for $13M it's a worthwhile risk.

Yeah, the Yanks have been throwing 13 million a year at Gardner and Headley. This guy might actually be able to hit.

Nice move by the Yankees, relatively low risk. Then the Red Sox trade prospects for Chris Sale. Advantage Boston, at least in 2017. If Moncada turns into a perennial all star, nice long term move for the ChiSox.

Great trade for Boston. Yanks got a similar return for chapman and miller that they got for sale. Don't understand the thought process there by Chicago.

Great trade for Boston. Yanks got a similar return for chapman and miller that they got for sale. Don't understand the thought process there by Chicago.
I think the White Sox are going into a rebuild and the Sale relationship with the front office wasn't great (and that was before the uniform incident). Time will tell but it could wind up being good for both teams in the long run.

Love comments like this. Since you are obviously a scout. What are your evaluations on the prospects the Chisox got back?

Not sure what u are looking for. I follow baseball closer than any other sport. Moncada is a power hitting switch hitter. Who is not a good defensive player. Don't get me wrong he is a very good prospect obviously. He is ranked number one for a reason. The other guy is a hard thrower with no control. Both solid prospects who may or may not pan out. Boston has several young guys who are already proven somewhat at the MLB level. When you have a top five pitcher in the game who is under control at a reasonable contract for multiple years you should get more back IMO than what the Yankees got for Chapman. It's close to the same trade. Torres was a top 20 player and will be top 5 when the rankings come out. Chairman was a rental relief pitcher for half a season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT